Started logging meeting in #debconf-team, times are UTC.
[20:00:15] <sgran> here
[20:00:25] * maxy here
[20:00:30] * Tincho-mob from crappy phone
[20:00:37] <marga> #LINK
[20:00:46] <marga> #TOPIC New venue presentation
[20:01:12] <marga> The new venue was announced over the mail. Are there any questions or issues that someone needs to ask/raise about it?
[20:01:20] * ana no.
[20:01:34] <mhy> here
[20:01:35] <ana> thanks a lot to Tincho-mob for all the work :)
[20:01:45] <Tincho-mob> :)
[20:01:58] <moray> marga: it sounds good to me
[20:02:14] <Ganneff> marga: im happy we dont change city
[20:02:17] <moray> and thanks Tincho-mob and others yes :)
[20:02:36] <marga> Ganneff: me too.
[20:03:05] <marga> Ok, so, if anyone has any questions, please post them on the list
[20:03:12] <marga> #TOPIC Starting of reconfirmation stage
[20:03:46] <marga> So, we need to start asking people to reconfirm. I think that a possible deadline is May 31st, but that might be too soon, taking into account that we still don't know how much travel we will sponsor
[20:03:52] <marga> What does the rest think?
[20:04:00] <ana> marga: i agree, it is too son
[20:04:05] <Ganneff> make it 2 or 4 weeks later, imo
[20:04:11] <moray> well, ignoring the sponsorship that would be *just* far enough away
[20:04:21] <moray> but I agree we're not ready due to the travel stuff relaly
[20:04:24] <moray> (really)
[20:04:24] <Ganneff> and start in a week with it.
[20:04:34] <ana> marga: what is the limit date to close deal with the hotel?
[20:04:37] <ana> more ot less
[20:04:39] <ana> or*
[20:04:45] <moray> Ganneff: yeah, we need a few reminder mails to people...
[20:04:49] <moray> (over a few weeks)
[20:04:54] <Ganneff> the thing is, we wont know travel sponsorsahip in a week too. at least not so that we can tell people "you have money". that will take much longer, as we dont have the money.
[20:04:54] <marga> ana: not sure, that's Tincho's area right now.
[20:05:11] <marga> But I think we need at least 6 weeks for the printing of the t-shirts, proceedings, etc to be on-time.
[20:05:23] <moray> Ganneff: that of course also depends on how likely we think we are to have how much money in the end
[20:05:24] <marga> So, June 15th?
[20:06:00] <Ganneff> sounds ok
[20:06:02] <marga> moray: well, if we get one more Platinum sponsor, that money would mostly go for travel.
[20:06:03] <moray> that's a Sunday?
[20:06:24] <marga> moray: yeah, although it wasn't on purpose :)
[20:06:33] <moray> I guess Sunday is reasonable, if we have a final reminder on the Thursday or so
[20:06:38] <marga> Ok
[20:06:54] <TINCHOs> Damn
[20:06:55] <marga> #AGREED Reconfirmation period ends on June, Sunday 15th.
[20:06:55] <moray> and make the deadline as end of Sunday
[20:07:10] <moray> (well, or announce it as start but really make it the end ;)
[20:07:21] <marga> moray: yes, end is fine.
[20:08:01] <marga> To send the announcement, I'd first like to have the SPI infrastructure from click&pledge ready, so that professional and corporate attendees can pay when they reconfirm.
[20:08:16] <moray> right, how long do we think that will take?
[20:08:25] <moray> it just needs us to make a webpage to simplify it?
[20:08:30] <marga> schultmc, the SPI tresurer, says he'll have time for that on Wednesday. Is it reasonable to wait till then?
[20:08:36] <Ganneff> yes
[20:08:40] <moray> ah, they're doing it? fine
[20:08:51] <Ganneff> i would say - reconfirm can start whenever this week, thats ok.
[20:08:54] <marga> moray: yes, just a simple webpage, I think we can have it ready on Wed.
[20:08:58] <Ganneff> so should start at latest on sunday evening.
[20:09:25] <marga> #AGREED Reconfirmation mail will be sent this week, once SPI's click&pledge for DebConf8 is ready.
[20:10:00] <marga> I've already asked Ganneff to include room preferences as extra information to ask for when people reconfirm. Is there anything else that we should be asking?
[20:10:04] <Ganneff> .oO(that will leave time for marga to vote on my mail)
[20:10:06] <Ganneff> :)
[20:10:18] <moray> I don't *think* we needed anything else last time
[20:10:18] * Ganneff gets gun. You want more? :)
[20:10:24] <Ganneff> (joking)
[20:10:46] <marga> yes, I think we are fine, I just ask in case someone noticed something missing.
[20:11:04] <marga> #TOPIC Proceedings preparation / Talk scheduling
[20:11:05] <Ganneff> i cant think of any.
[20:11:19] <marga> So, the talks were selected? I didn't see any announcement...
[20:11:36] <Ganneff> we arent done 100% yet. 95%.
[20:11:41] <marga> ah, ok.
[20:11:41] <Ganneff> had some questions back to some speakers
[20:11:46] <Ganneff> they are sent, we wait for answers.
[20:11:48] <Ganneff> think this week
[20:11:52] <TINCHOs> There were some pending issues
[20:11:59] <ana> IIRC zack set as deadline this wednesday
[20:12:11] <maxy> Are there any "rejected talks" that might apply for the DebianDay slots?
[20:12:24] <Ganneff> for proceedings: whoever volunteers for them - we have .tex from last years, should be used. im happy to help with questions about that, but other than that will stay out of the actual making.
[20:12:31] <moray> marga: For proceedings, is the 'magazine' thing happening?
[20:12:40] <marga> Well, we need someone to take care of assembling all the papers in some nice Tex that we can print. We can do the printing over here, but it would be great if someone else took care of that part.
[20:13:00] <marga> moray: yes, but I think we will have 2 different things. The welcoming magazine is for all, the proceedings only for those that asked.
[20:13:08] <Ganneff> i help this someone, but that someone (or that group) should do the work. :)
[20:13:14] <moray> marga: ok, makes sense
[20:13:53] <marga> So, we need a volunteer to gather/proof-read/edit the proceedings.
[20:14:21] <moray> can we fool some of the talks committee into that? ;)
[20:14:43] <marga> Uhm... Maybe, we should at least ask.
[20:14:44] <TINCHOs> NOPE :-)
[20:14:48] <moray> I should be able to help proof-read, but like Ganneff I'm not sure about the time for taking charge of this :/
[20:14:48] <Ganneff> i think not. tincho has much to do. me too. zack - maybe. bdale also lots to do. ana - dont know.
[20:14:53] <marga> TINCHOs: not you :)
[20:15:02] <Ganneff> andreas - dont think he has time for it alone.
[20:15:19] <Ganneff> lets ask on -team/-discuss list
[20:15:25] <marga> ok, I'll do that
[20:15:25] <Ganneff> can mail that aright after meeting
[20:15:26] <moray> marga: maybe you have already, but you also need to sort out who will print/bind/etc.
[20:15:37] <Ganneff> marga: you or me?
[20:15:47] <marga> #ACTION Marga sends mail to debconf-team asking for a volunteer regarding proceedings.
[20:15:52] <ana> Ganneff: it is not a task i'm willing to volunteer sorry
[20:16:11] <Ganneff> ok. marga mails.
[20:16:15] <marga> moray: yes, we have people over here for doing that, but their English is not very strong, that's why we need the thing to be edited by someone else.
[20:16:19] <moray> marga: sure
[20:16:35] <Ganneff> marga: just mention that the layout and stuff is all there, "just" needs content and stuff. and will work in an svn repo we have somewhere.
[20:16:45] <moray> marga: last year we ended up fighting a binding machine during DebCamp, which wasn't ideal :)
[20:16:49] <marga> So, how about the scheduling, how are we going to do that?
[20:17:13] <Ganneff> mhy has some nice experience with that, but i know he doesnt want to repeat it again.
[20:17:25] <TINCHOs> random?
[20:17:26] <moray> yeah, certainly worth getting mhy to detail the problems he found though
[20:17:33] <Ganneff> yes.
[20:17:33] <marga> ok.
[20:17:43] <moray> TINCHOs: well, we normally have a problem with finding when people can actually give talks
[20:17:57] <Ganneff> TINCHOs: random doesnt work
[20:18:13] <moray> they tend to say the day before "oh I won't actually have arrived yet by then"
[20:18:16] <TINCHOs> Ah. that sounds like madness to sort out
[20:18:20] <marga> Yes, but it'd be nice to have it more settled than past years.
[20:18:25] <moray> marga: indeed
[20:18:43] <Ganneff> well. another mail to -team.
[20:18:50] <marga> Ganneff: you do that one.
[20:18:55] <Ganneff> im sure mhy will at least provide some thoughts about it.
[20:18:57] <Ganneff> ok
[20:18:58] <moray> marga: (we *tried* to be stricter than previous years last time)
[20:19:03] * mhy nods moray
[20:19:08] <marga> #ACTION Ganneff mails debconf-team regarding talk scheduling
[20:19:23] <mhy> unfortunately, people complain loudly the instant you try to be stricter about scheduling
[20:19:30] <mhy> anyways, let's take it to list
[20:19:35] <marga> ok.
[20:19:37] <marga> #TOPIC Network planning - Server preparation
[20:20:02] <TINCHOs> Um
[20:20:18] <Ganneff> for this i suggest the local people involved deal with us admins outside of a team meeting
[20:20:21] <marga> So, I don't think this is about cabling, right? It's about what services will be available on the network and how it will work?
[20:20:27] <TINCHOs> nothing yet. i think
[20:20:34] <marga> sgran: this was your topic suggestion.
[20:20:44] <moray> TINCHOs: I imagine that changing hotel will have delayed this a bit, yes :)
[20:20:52] <mhy> it's more about what we're doing about the uplink and generally what infrastructure we'll need / be allowed to provide
[20:20:57] <TINCHOs> :-)
[20:20:58] <sgran> I was wondering whether the hotel has any structured cabling or if we'll be doing it there
[20:21:02] <des> just one thing regarding this...
[20:21:06] <mhy> but I agree that given the venue has just changed, we might not know yet
[20:21:08] * sgran nods mhy
[20:21:11] <des> are we going to bring stuff from aboard?
[20:21:23] <marga> Currently, we only have one company offering to lend us a few servers, and I don't think they are going to be too powerful. We are still contacting possible sponsors, but nothing too promising yet.
[20:21:39] <sgran> ok
[20:21:43] <mhy> It might be best to take this to a seperate meeting quite sson
[20:21:44] <Ganneff> its more problematic this year, as its not as easy as within the EU
[20:21:50] <Ganneff> to ship hardware
[20:21:54] <moray> marga: there's also the network issue of making sure the hotel understand that we will want to add our own cables / where, once things are worked out a little
[20:22:16] <moray> marga: normally the venue don't entirely believe our networking plans when they're first told
[20:22:26] <mhy> moray: neither do the admins usually...
[20:22:35] <TINCHOs> Yes. i have to discuss that with the hotel
[20:22:43] <mhy> TINCHOs: do you want to get back to us when you have more info?
[20:22:48] <marga> moray: yes. Well, they do have space for cables that we can use, but we still need to talk with them about the details.
[20:22:57] <Ganneff> so, whos local team responsible for it? should get back to us in the -admin chan.
[20:23:01] <TINCHOs> Sure
[20:23:05] <mhy> TINCHOs: thanks
[20:23:20] <marga> Tincho: should I assign that as an action to you?
[20:23:26] <moray> it's worth keeping the main list updated on network stuff, as that's one area where we're never short of people wanting to help...
[20:23:29] <Ganneff> tincho or des?
[20:23:35] <TINCHOs> Yes
[20:23:58] <TINCHOs> Or des
[20:23:59] <Ganneff> moray: not everyone of those should be allowed to help.
[20:23:59] <marga> #ACTION Tincho will find out more regarding network & cabling at the new venue and comunicate with #debconf-admin about it.
[20:24:07] <moray> Ganneff: indeed!
[20:24:43] <marga> So, what should we do about the servers? Keep proding sponsors for hardware? Or should we start thinking about a plan b?
[20:24:55] <Ganneff> what would be plan b?
[20:25:08] <marga> Buying them and then re-selling them?
[20:25:19] <marga> I don't know, that's why I ask.
[20:25:21] <Ganneff> debconf can run with a *low* number of hardware, if really needed. we just offer way less services. the video team will have more problems with less hardware.
[20:25:33] <moray> yeah, video are the people who really need stuff
[20:25:36] <Ganneff> buying this kind of hardware, at least servers, is expensive.
[20:25:53] <moray> we could do without the big servers I think, ignoring video use of them
[20:26:00] <moray> (though obviously they're nice to have)
[20:26:04] <des> if there areenough equipment in other countries maybe hire a custom clearance agent to bring it temporarly?
[20:26:08] <Ganneff> we admins like to have some 4 or 5 machines, to spread load, as we get lotsa load usually. but we can, if absoluztely needed, also deal with two machines. or so.
[20:26:19] <Ganneff> des: possible, yes
[20:27:10] <marga> Ok. I think we still have time to explore more hardware sponsors. I'll bring this up again next meeting if necessary.
[20:27:18] <Ganneff> yes please
[20:27:20] <marga> #TOPIC Next meeting
[20:27:41] <Ganneff> 19 may?
[20:27:53] <moray> (sounds reasonable to me)
[20:27:58] <sgran> works for me
[20:28:01] <marga> Ok.
[20:28:09] <des> Ok
[20:28:10] * madduck too
[20:28:15] <ana> ok
[20:28:18] <marga> #AGREED Next meeting will be Monday, May 19th.
[20:28:24] <ana> i won't be around, but it should be soon :)
[20:28:29] <ana> suggestions time?
[20:28:36] <marga> Sorry, same time
[20:28:43] <marga> Or not?
[20:28:45] <Ganneff> ame time
[20:28:46] <Ganneff> yes
[20:28:52] <marga> #AGREED Next meeting will be Monday, May 19th, 20:00 UTC
[20:28:59] <marga> #TOPIC Any Other Business ?
[20:29:08] <ana> request: add section in website with deadlines/important dates, we have a schedule now, but it is only debconf/debcamp related
[20:29:26] <moray> if we change the time I'll get all confused again, it's more difficult not living on GMT ;)
[20:29:32] <madduck> Ganneff: the press@penta stuff should happen soonish
[20:29:36] <Ganneff> madduck: si.
[20:29:40] <marga> #IDEA add section in website with deadlines/important dates, we have a schedule now, but it is only debconf/debcamp related
[20:29:47] <Ganneff> madduck: i finish margas stuff and then look at giving you access
[20:29:53] <madduck> i mean, Ganneff: give me access, I am not asking you to do it for me, I guess.
[20:29:56] <madduck> kewl
[20:30:17] <marga> Sledge is not around, I wanted to ask him about sponsors.
[20:30:46] <marga> So that everyone knows, stockholm has agreed to contact Intel for us. He started with this a few weeks ago, no news yet.
[20:30:59] <ana> Ganneff: are you seeting the first sponsorship meeting for this sunday?
[20:31:17] <Ganneff> ana: i think there is no other good day.
[20:31:18] <ana> marga: nice *crossing fingers*
[20:31:28] <Ganneff> ana: need to send mail later today or tomorrow, yes
[20:31:28] <moray> marga: do you have a feeling for how we're doing compared to previous years / compared to what money you need?
[20:31:43] <ana> Ganneff: yea... but people tends to make plans for the weekend, so please send a mail soon
[20:31:46] <moray> marga: (sponsorship)
[20:31:50] <marga> Big sponsors not currently contacted: IBM, Oracle, Dell, EDS. We need contacts for these.
[20:32:05] <Ganneff> im not getting replies from ibm.
[20:32:15] <marga> moray: we are currently almost covering our costs. Most of what will come after this is going to be for travel.
[20:32:24] <Ganneff> the guy there is never easily reachable, and i guess by now its too late again when he finally reacts
[20:32:28] <marga> moray: I think that one more Platinum would be really good.
[20:32:28] <moray> marga: ok, that seems a good position to be in now
[20:33:54] <marga> moray: it's not bad, but given how expensive the flight tickets are, it would be really nice to get more.
[20:34:02] <marga> I think we are done, right?
[20:34:06] <Ganneff> yes
[20:34:07] <marga> Short meeting today.
[20:34:11] <marga> #endmeeting

Meeting ended.

Information on meetbot is available at