Started logging meeting in #debconf-team, times are UTC.
[20:00:11] * sgran waves again
[20:00:14] <marga> There, meeting started.
[20:00:14] * edrz waves
[20:00:16] * schultmc waves
[20:00:18] * Jon waves for the first time this year
[20:00:22] <moray> hi Jon
[20:00:23] * an3as waves again
[20:00:27] <Jon> moray: hello!
[20:00:47] <marga> The bot is missing a #INFO tag, so we are using #IDEA (which can be used by anyone) to inform of things done.
[20:01:13] <marga> #LINK Agenda at:
[20:01:22] * h01ger wishes he had time to hack on the bot..
[20:01:24] <marga> #TOPIC Numbers Update
[20:02:16] <marga> #IDEA We currently have 226 attendees, 187 of them staying at the hotel.
[20:03:02] * des _o/
[20:03:26] <marga> #IDEA We need to get to 200 people at the hotel. That doesn't look like a very difficult thing, though.
[20:03:46] <marga> Any questions on the numbers?
[20:04:02] <moray> Do you expect more locals to sign up still?
[20:04:10] <marga> moray: not many, but a few, yes.
[20:05:05] <moray> I'd expect a *few* additional international people will want to come -- but probably also a few will drop out, if we can judge by previous years
[20:05:06] <marga> moray: there are 39 non-hosted people. I suspect many of them might have made a mistake. But I think we could still make a few more exceptions and sponsor some extra people if we don't get 13 more paying attendees.
[20:05:18] <moray> sure
[20:05:38] * h01ger nods
[20:05:50] <marga> Ok, next topic
[20:06:03] <marga> #TOPIC Incoming/outgoing funds status - Travel Sponsorship status
[20:06:42] <marga> We are (desperately) waiting on Nokia's money to arrived. I have already pinged our contact there, but with no response.
[20:06:54] <Ganneff> evening
[20:07:04] <moray> Ganneff: hi!
[20:07:08] <sgran> hey!
[20:07:09] * marga not-hugs Ganneff.
[20:07:49] * edrz hopes Ganneff is ok.
[20:08:03] <Ganneff> more or less.
[20:08:07] <Ganneff> now, continue meeting :)
[20:08:34] <marga> If Nokia's money does not arrive this week, and we get no news from them, then we will need to get SPI's money in. I wasn't planning on getting that money, because I don't want to lose so much in transfers/taxes, but we need to make another payment to the hotel soon.
[20:08:43] <an3as> congratulations to Tolimar!!!
[20:08:53] <marga> In any case, we have extra money.
[20:09:01] <Ganneff> do we have more for travel?
[20:09:32] <marga> I've added estimated prices for optional stuff like DayTrip, bags, etc. And there's at least 10k USD for Travel available.
[20:09:51] <Ganneff> 10k for travel? yay. will sent out mails tomorrow then
[20:09:55] <moray> sounds good :)
[20:10:01] <h01ger> sounds great
[20:10:03] <Ganneff> will mean we have all in the list then, as we only need 8677usd
[20:10:05] <marga> Yes, actually, 10k is too much.
[20:10:21] <moray> is this because of additional sponsorship, or saving money elsewhree?
[20:10:22] <marga> I've already mailed herb@ about this. We have extra money, we need to decide what to do with it.
[20:10:34] <marga> moray: mainly because so few people are coming :-\
[20:10:40] <Ganneff> use it for debconf - and if not needed giving it to next debconf
[20:11:03] <moray> yes -- keeping some money for the future is good if possible
[20:11:17] <moray> (not *too* much, but enough for a first deposit or whatever)
[20:11:38] <marga> Ok, although I guess _next_ DebConf won't need it, maybe the following one.
[20:11:55] <moray> sure
[20:12:15] <marga> #IDEA Waiting on Nokia's money to arrive. Will have to get money from SPI if it doesn't arrive this week. 10k USD more for Travel.
[20:12:25] <marga> #TOPIC Wired/wireless network planning status
[20:12:52] <marga> I don't have info about this. des ? Traveler_ ? dererk ? Tincho is at an exam, so I don't think he has info
[20:13:07] <marga> I mean, I don't think he'll be able to give it to us.
[20:13:35] <moray> is there a plan now about APs/network kit?
[20:13:37] <des> I have no news too, except Tincho and Traveler_ confirmed their travel dates for toying with it
[20:13:53] <marga> Ah, well, ISP is settled, first payment made.
[20:14:14] <marga> #IDEA ISP is settled, first payment (30%) made. The rest of the payment should be done when the link is working.
[20:14:30] <des> for APs we are going with borrowed+openwrt APs
[20:14:39] <h01ger> will there be one uplink provider or two? or any fallback (plan) if the first isp fails?
[20:14:40] <sgran> do we have any floor plans or anything like that yet?
[20:14:40] <marga> #IDEA The link is to be installed in 2 weeks time. Traveler_ and Tincho will be going down to MDQ to check on htat.
[20:14:51] <moray> h01ger: read the list :)
[20:15:03] <moray> h01ger: the minutes from the last meeting said something, I think
[20:15:09] <marga> h01ger: 1 provider. Fallback is the ADSLs from the hotel, which are thin but we can use as we please.
[20:15:14] <h01ger> sgran, links to two pngs..
[20:15:18] <des> marga: they also want to check/start some wireless setup in that trip
[20:15:19] <sgran> yes, hired uplink with fallback to hotel DSL is need be
[20:15:39] <h01ger> moray, marga: thanks. and good :)
[20:15:53] <marga> #IDEA And they'll be checking/starting the wireless setup, which is going to be done with borrowed openwrt APs.
[20:16:13] <sgran> h01ger: thanks
[20:16:14] <h01ger> i actually read the meeting summary and that was the question i had after reading. bonded dsl sounds nice. when it works :)
[20:16:17] <marga> des: anything else on this?
[20:16:39] <marga> h01ger: ah, it's not bonded "dsl". It's bonded whatever that the ISP gives us as just one link.
[20:16:40] <moray> well, if they visit then, that still leaves time to find more kit if needed
[20:16:45] <h01ger> sgran, there are svgs also somewhere, but i dunno where..
[20:16:47] <des> We plan to use the hotels APs for the rooms, so that's what they'll check
[20:17:04] <sgran> h01ger: I just wanted a general idea
[20:17:15] <des> And... regarding wired, we where thinking in buying the needed switches, but haven't been planned yet.
[20:17:23] <h01ger> marga, i dont care about what they do on layer 1 and 2 as long as "the internet works" :)
[20:17:48] <des> That's all for now
[20:17:49] <moray> h01ger: though I guess the debconf networking team want nice managed switches etc. to play with ;)
[20:17:55] <marga> #TOPIC Sponsor Deadline
[20:18:09] <marga> So, the deadline for T-shirt sponsors is end of this week.
[20:18:15] <edrz> #LINK floor plan svg:
[20:18:31] <h01ger> edrz, :)
[20:18:36] <edrz> #LINK floor plan svg:
[20:18:41] <marga> There are a bunch of proposals for sponsors both at sponsors-table (@ svn) and that were sent by mail to rt.
[20:18:47] <moray> marga: are the sponsorship team still actively looking for sponsors, or have they basically wound down already?
[20:19:10] <marga> moray: the problem is that internationally there's no "sponsorship team" it's only Sledge, and he's very very busy.
[20:19:13] <des> #IDEA those are not *plans* not definitive yet
[20:19:13] <des> :)
[20:19:36] <moray> marga: yeah, that's what I was wondering... not really a big problem if we have enough money, but needs fixed before next time
[20:19:40] <marga> So, I'm not sure what to do about the suggested but not contacted sponsors.
[20:19:58] <marga> moray: yes, I guess that this needs to get fixed for the next time.
[20:20:05] <moray> from what you said above, maybe we don't need more money currently?
[20:20:05] * h01ger thinks more money wont hurt. worst thing is, we do debconf10 in japan :-D
[20:20:22] <marga> But also, we need to close the ones that haven't been closed, in order to make the t-shirts.
[20:20:25] <moray> h01ger: well, if you raise too much money sponsors may feel you're wasting their sponsorship
[20:20:50] * h01ger nods
[20:21:00] <marga> Ok, so maybe just close the ones that need closing.
[20:21:03] <moray> h01ger: we normally say the numbers and money spent, so if fewer are coming the expenses should be lower proportionally to avoid looking bad
[20:21:07] <marga> But Sledge needs a hand.
[20:21:26] <h01ger> moray, we can give back the money to debian(?)
[20:21:50] <marga> Please, h01ger, moray, can we focus?
[20:22:43] <marga> In the "invoiced" list we have: collabora, credativ,, nokia, bytemark, Sun,
[20:23:02] <marga> Should we assume that all of them _are_ going to pay and just go ahead and put them on the t-shirt?
[20:23:26] <h01ger> marga, sure. isnt the sponsor deadline basically set by the tshirt print time?
[20:23:31] <Ganneff> mail them again, telling deadline, see what happens
[20:23:36] <marga> h01ger: yes, print time is next week.
[20:23:43] <marga> s/is/starts/
[20:23:46] <h01ger> marga, do we have reasons to believe they wont pay? and what Ganneff said..
[20:24:13] <marga> h01ger: well, I don't know, but we haven't been putting logos up in the website until the money had arrived.
[20:24:42] <marga> #action Ping the "invoiced" sponsors regarding the money so that we can get them on the t-shirt as appropiate.
[20:24:58] <marga> #TOPIC Debian Day status
[20:25:05] <marga> So, this is our big missing thing.
[20:25:52] <marga> Just a few hours ago we learned that the place we were planning to use (a public university) will not open for us. They had said they would, but now they've changed their minds.
[20:25:58] <marga> So, we are currently looking for a place.
[20:26:10] <moray> ah :/
[20:26:38] <h01ger> ui
[20:26:39] <an3as> Hmmm, also schedule team is seeking for solid information about DebianDay ...
[20:26:40] <marga> Also, we have very few talks. 3 submitted to Penta. Other 3 that have mailed me. And one of the DebianDay sponsors (Core Security) wants to give a talk.
[20:27:00] <marga> an3as: ah, I already answered titacgs: you don't have to worry about that, we handle it.
[20:27:13] <an3as> OK
[20:27:19] <moray> marga: well, previously for Debian Day I think we actively looked for speakers
[20:27:23] <marga> So, 7 talks in total, when we wanted something like 15 or 20.
[20:27:38] <moray> marga: whoever's organising it has a better idea of what they want than individual potential-speakers
[20:27:41] <marga> moray: more than mails to -announce and blog posts?
[20:27:47] <moray> marga: yeah
[20:27:47] <edrz> video-team briefly discussed possibly giving a debianday talk, but i don't think any of us submitted it, yet.
[20:27:56] <marga> edrz: ok, please, please, do.
[20:27:59] <h01ger> emphasize again, that english is fine for debian day?
[20:28:09] <marga> h01ger: haven't I said that enough?
[20:29:05] <marga> We need a hand with this. We need to get more talks.
[20:29:10] * h01ger still thinks he doesnt qualify well because i dont speak spanish... debian day in .mx was mostly spanish... that why i said, "emphasize again" :)
[20:29:14] <moray> marga: kevc would know better than me, but last year's speakers were recruited to fit the plan -
[20:29:15] <marga> Can anyone volunteer to help?
[20:30:21] * marga sighs
[20:30:43] <marga> #ACTION We need to find a new place for DebianDay, since the planned place is not available.
[20:30:43] <moray> I'm happy to discuss it more, I'll have left the country some time before it happens though
[20:30:58] <marga> #ACTION We need to get more talks for DebianDay.
[20:31:03] <moray> and really you need local people, to know what is interesting to the local audience
[20:31:16] <marga> moray: ok, will try to find a local volunteer, then.
[20:31:32] <marga> moray: but part of what's interesting of DebianDay is that foreign people give the talks.
[20:32:02] <marga> #ACTION Marga will try to recruit a local volunteer who can ask people one by one if they want to give a talk at DebianDay.
[20:32:19] <marga> #TOPIC Next meeting
[20:32:25] <marga> Should we move on to weekly meetings?
[20:32:34] <moray> marga: I (and I'm sure others) can discuss with what kind of people they could try talking to -- you could start by checking who'll still be around on that date
[20:32:36] <sgran> it's probably time
[20:32:51] <marga> moray: yeah, the problem is that we don't know.
[20:32:57] <h01ger> video team does weekly meetings now too
[20:33:10] <moray> I think it's time for weekly meetings -- at worst, they'll be short
[20:33:14] <marga> So, next meeting July 7th, 20:00 UTC?
[20:33:24] * h01ger likes todays meeting. its short and mostly to the point. meeting like those i'm very fine to have weekly
[20:33:39] <moray> marga: unless locals want the time to change, yes
[20:33:46] <an3as> can I put some additional point to this meeting: Schedule
[20:34:01] <sgran> that seems ok - I may not be around at the start but I can read backlog
[20:34:03] <marga> moray: it's ok. We have our local meeting at 1+01:00 UTC.
[20:34:16] <marga> an3as: yes, next topic
[20:34:33] <an3as> Because of lacking information how to prepare schedule we decided to use a google calendar
[20:34:34] <marga> #AGREED Next meeting July 7th, 20:00 UTC. Weekly meetings from now on.
[20:34:41] <marga> #TOPIC Schedule
[20:34:44] <an3as> Is anybody interested to be invited
[20:34:47] <marga> an3as: yes, go ahead.
[20:34:48] <an3as> ?
[20:35:03] <an3as> We can also export ical and put it somewhere
[20:35:17] <marga> an3as: it would be nice to see a preview, can you export it to some more friendly format?
[20:35:22] <moray> an3as: I'm not sure using non-free stuff for an *official* DebConf service is great
[20:35:23] <des> Mmmm... penta should be used for that
[20:35:31] <Ganneff> penta is *THE* place for it
[20:35:31] <moray> and yes, penta will do that
[20:35:33] <an3as> sure
[20:35:33] <des> *really*
[20:35:33] <Ganneff> not any other app
[20:35:48] <an3as> I would have loved to use a free service
[20:35:50] <marga> Ganneff, des: are scheduling capabilities already there?
[20:35:54] <an3as> suggestions????
[20:36:01] <edrz> an3as: penta
[20:36:02] <Ganneff> yes!
[20:36:04] <h01ger> an3as, what is your problem with doing it in penta?
[20:36:10] <an3as> How
[20:36:11] <Ganneff> of course does penta have a scheduling thing
[20:36:28] <an3as> Vanessa and me asked several times how to do this
[20:36:36] <marga> Ganneff / des: can either of you please mail with instructions as to how to use penta to schedule, please?
[20:36:37] <des> h01ger: lack of knowledge that it's done there, I think
[20:36:43] <an3as> I'm not proud about galendar ...
[20:36:45] <Jon> that meetbot thing is awesome
[20:37:14] <des> marga: I couldn't I never used that part of penta, I could try, but someone that already did could make it easier
[20:37:15] <moray> Jon: marga writing minutes quickly after meetings is more awesome :p
[20:37:15] <Ganneff> marga: not today, im not thinking straight, too many drugs. but tomorrow/wednesday
[20:37:18] <an3as> Instructions would be really great!
[20:37:31] <moray> an3as: maybe speak to mhy, he did it last time
[20:37:33] <an3as> can I import ical format?
[20:37:38] <Jon> moray: hehe
[20:37:38] <marga> Ganneff: ok.
[20:37:49] <Ganneff> an3as: not in penta, no.
[20:37:50] <marga> Could whoever used it last year help out?
[20:37:55] <an3as> I also asked mhy via mail several times ... :-(
[20:37:56] <Ganneff> thats mhy
[20:38:07] <marga> Uhm, who's not responding apparently.
[20:38:13] <des> an3as: :-/
[20:38:17] <marga> Ganneff: so, can you do it tomorrow or the day after, then?
[20:38:19] <Ganneff> and last year the scheduling was done by "prepare on paper, then enter data into pentabarf"
[20:38:25] <Ganneff> yes. please remind me.
[20:38:30] <marga> Ganneff: ok.
[20:38:31] * h01ger doesnt know the scheduling system, i'm no help here
[20:38:35] <an3as> well galendar is currently our paper ...
[20:38:43] <des> an3as: Sorry, but the schedule in penta is *really* important for a lot of works (volunteers scheduling, video team work scheduling, etc...)
[20:38:46] <an3as> I did not wanted to make it really publicly available
[20:38:48] <marga> #ACTION Ganneff will mail instructions to schedule@ as to how to do the scheduling in penta.
[20:39:02] <h01ger> an3as, yes, we (video team) totally rely that the schedule in penta is correct
[20:39:04] <an3as> des: sure - I'd love to export to penta!
[20:39:18] <marga> Ok, I think we all agree here, it's just lack of information.
[20:39:23] <an3as> yep
[20:39:27] <marga> I have a related new topic
[20:39:29] <h01ger> an3as, please work in penta. dont export to penta ;)
[20:39:35] <marga> #TOPIC Keynotes
[20:40:02] <marga> So, for some reason that nobody seems to know, marks's keynote got accepted.
[20:40:06] <an3as> h01ger: As I said: if somebody explains how this would be my prefered tool without any question
[20:40:22] <marga> I don't really have a problem with it, but if we are having that one, I'd like to get a few more others.
[20:40:25] <edrz> an3as: Ganneff will explain tomorrow.
[20:40:33] <marga> Sledge has already agreed to give the first one.
[20:40:34] <h01ger> an3as, great :)
[20:40:35] <an3as> Vanessa and me will try to import our stuff in penta (not export, sure!)
[20:41:00] <h01ger> someone must be able to explain how this talk was accepted..
[20:41:02] <an3as> edrz: I noticed. I know that Ganneff is only half-available ...
[20:41:04] <marga> I think Bdale and somebody from Nokia (platinum sponsors) should give one each.
[20:41:15] * edrz nods h01ger
[20:41:19] <moray> marga: that would sound good if they're willing
[20:41:34] <moray> marga: I mean, I'm sure people would be interested to hear them
[20:41:44] <marga> Is there anyone else we should invite as keynote speaker?
[20:41:55] <des> FWIW, I think it was entered into penta and handled as any other talk (i.e. in the papers meeting)
[20:41:59] <h01ger> i think we really look stupid now. first we said, "its too late, only if you become a platin sponsor" and now the talk is in (and canonical isnt platin), and nobody knows why?!?
[20:42:01] <an3as> Another topic (not mine): submitting papers
[20:42:44] * h01ger would love a d-i key note, i18n is another great topic... dpl too
[20:42:44] <Ganneff> we accepted it after he filled out the details we asked about
[20:43:02] <Ganneff> we never said "no way at all", we said "we need data, enter it. and no, not as mail in this flamewar".
[20:43:12] <marga> No former DPL that I can think of is coming.
[20:43:47] <an3as> Bdale? ;-)
[20:43:54] <marga> Yes, apart from bdale, I mean.
[20:44:00] <Jon> dont the value of keynotes get diluted if you have too many?
[20:44:16] <moray> yeah
[20:44:16] <marga> sam, tbm, ajt, neither is coming.
[20:44:32] <marga> Jon: one per day
[20:44:34] <marga> We can have 6
[20:44:36] <Jon> a
[20:44:52] <h01ger> xorg was the other keynote topic i was thinking of. but keith p is not coming this year, iirc
[20:44:55] <marga> So, we need 2 more. Or we can just have 4.
[20:45:15] <marga> Nope, keithp isn't coming either :(
[20:45:32] <moray> "one per day ... 6" -- aren't talks Sunday-Saturday?
[20:45:41] <marga> Well, if somebody thinks of a possible extra keynote speaker, please say something after the meeting.
[20:45:45] <des> so... accepting keynotes now is ok but before was not?
[20:45:46] <Ganneff> daytrip
[20:45:47] <marga> moray: yes, but there's the daytrip.
[20:45:49] <h01ger> one the last day a keynote from debconf9?
[20:45:53] <moray> marga: ah, sure
[20:45:56] <des> I'm a little troubled by that
[20:46:21] <moray> des: it was never "not ok" AFAIK
[20:46:23] <marga> des: it was never not ok.
[20:46:49] <marga> des: what we didn't like was that marks asked for it after the deadline, and took a long time to finally submit it.
[20:47:28] <marga> #TOPIC Papers
[20:47:36] <marga> Does anybody know what happened with this?
[20:47:50] <marga> As far as I knew, zack was going to mail asking for papers, but never got any replies
[20:48:02] <moray> is there a printing deadline yet?
[20:48:13] <marga> moray: yes, in 2 weeks, I think.
[20:48:17] <moray> if no ones wants to submit papers, that's easy though :)
[20:48:25] <an3as> I got zack's mail and I'm guilty for not answering it
[20:48:36] <an3as> I uses a brocken battery of my laptop as an excuse
[20:48:57] <an3as> but honestly it is rather my personal schedule and temper than the battery
[20:48:59] <marga> an3as: ok, so zack did mail asking for papers?
[20:49:10] <marga> an3as: when was the deadline?
[20:49:17] <an3as> yes, atr least I got mails from him
[20:49:23] <moray> well, papers are not compulsary, it sounds like he needs to chase people though
[20:49:32] <an3as> I think today or yesterday
[20:49:40] <marga> an3as: ok, will ask him about it.
[20:49:52] <marga> #ACTION Marga will ask zack about the collecting of proceedings.
[20:49:59] <marga> #TOPIC Any other business?
[20:50:00] <an3as> Papers are just nice - and I intend to provide some for two of my talks ...
[20:50:31] <marga> Anyone else has issues to rise?
[20:50:38] <marga> raise
[20:50:40] <des> fwiw, the video team was also working on a paper, afaik
[20:51:32] <marga> Ok, I think we are done then.
[20:51:38] <marga> Longer meeting than I expected.
[20:51:41] <marga> #endmeeting

Meeting ended.

Information on meetbot is available at