18:32:54 <tumbleweed> #startmeeting
18:32:54 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Mar  2 18:32:54 2016 UTC.  The chair is tumbleweed. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:32:54 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:33:03 <tumbleweed> Agenda: http://deb.li/DCR16meet1
18:33:22 <tumbleweed> those are just some things I quickly threw in there. Please hack
18:34:35 <tumbleweed> #topic venue status
18:35:17 <tumbleweed> indiebio pinged UCT again last week, no response
18:35:45 <tamo> tumbleweed: should we look at a back-up plan?
18:35:54 <tamo> tumbleweed: just in case?
18:35:55 <gwolf> tumbleweed: wrong url?
18:36:08 <tumbleweed> gwolf: try https://storm.debian.net/shared/pg75HcKvGVql2SS_PdlitmnPFMUTTYz4_A6mqT_LeDr
18:36:24 <tumbleweed> I didn't test it, I just copied the ones indiebio left at the top of the document
18:37:06 <tumbleweed> tamo: no, but maybe we should threaten to
18:37:40 <tamo> tumbleweed: yup I think it is time to start with that a bit of a concern
18:37:56 <gwolf> tumbleweed: great!
18:39:09 <tamo> tumbleweed: in the meetings I had with dumbassman the caterers need to know where they can set up, etc. I explained that we weren't sure yet, so it would be great if we could start finalising things like that
18:40:12 <tumbleweed> yeah, let's jump to food, as we seem to be headed that way
18:40:17 <tumbleweed> #topic food
18:41:20 <tumbleweed> ginggs: tamo talked to the CMC about some catering details, and the reply is worryingly bureaucratic
18:41:27 <tumbleweed> I'll send you a copy
18:41:34 <ginggs> ok
18:41:47 <tamo> tumbleweed: cool we had a good meeting with Tasy's caterers they are really willing to bend with what we are neeing etc they are puting a price list together for us
18:41:55 <tumbleweed> the answer to almost everything is "and you'll need approval from the Senate"
18:42:14 <tamo> tumbleweed: YUP I emailed him and yet to get a response
18:42:23 <tamo> tumbleweed: I am hopeful
18:42:34 <tumbleweed> tamo: sounds good
18:43:11 <tamo> tumbleweed: for the conference dinner I ahve a few options too with the Aquarium looking good
18:43:12 <dumbassman> I agree with tamo, Tasty's is a great, flexible option.
18:43:30 <tamo> tumbleweed: Gold cafe are off the list :( they are doing renovations
18:44:12 <tamo> tumbleweed: they did a whole spread for dumbassman and myself, the food was good. very conference type food
18:44:46 <tumbleweed> and the price should be reasonable?
18:44:50 <tamo> tumbleweed: looking at another option who have done catering for UCT for 17 years they say
18:45:03 <tamo> tumbleweed: YES very reasonable
18:45:26 <tumbleweed> well, from everything you describe, it shounds great
18:46:04 <tamo> What we have asked of them is to put a quote together of maybe 1) Lunchboxes 2) Catering for Lunch with a salad and soup bar and 3) Dinner with a dessert
18:46:34 <tumbleweed> and they'll handle the dietary restrictions?
18:46:47 <tamo> 4) Braai options Fish, meat and Vegetarian
18:47:06 <dumbassman> tumlbeweed: yes, very considerate for vegetarian, vegan and halaal
18:47:25 <tamo> tumbleweed: Yes very much so - although I was not blown away with their veg options so going to look at a vegan caterer too
18:47:43 <tumbleweed> OK, sounding promising
18:48:01 <tamo> tumbleweed: Can we cater for Vegetarian and not Vegan it might really complcate things
18:48:11 <gwolf> lunchboxes are usually off-putting
18:48:26 <gwolf> (unless we are crossing a cultural barrier here and they mean something different ;-) )
18:48:29 <tamo> gwolf: ok why? Glad to get some advice
18:48:31 <bremner> unless from the taco stand
18:49:00 <gwolf> tamo: because they tend to be quite repetitive, non-attractive for a ~2 week time span
18:49:00 <tamo> haha hence the Food Truck options we are looking into tomorrow
18:49:11 <tumbleweed> debconf usually has sit-down lunches
18:49:15 <tumbleweed> (except the day trip)
18:49:29 <tamo> gwolf: Ya I tend to agree although they are very varied in their lunchboxes
18:50:02 <tamo> tumbleweed: Yup we were thinking a Wrap/ Sandwich with Biltong, nuts and something to drink.
18:50:10 <dumbassman> I think for the day trip the lunchboxes would be ideal; but option of sit-down lunch is better for day to day
18:50:25 <gwolf> but yes, it lunchboxes is just part of the quoted offer, we can choose with proper numbers in the hand
18:50:26 <tamo> tumbleweed: they also can do chick en and salad or a vegatarian option
18:50:49 <gwolf> (and yes, vegetarians/vegans have to be treated as first-class citizens :-P )
18:51:09 <tamo> gwolf: don't worry only the best will do ;)
18:51:41 <tamo> dumbassman: agreed
18:52:08 <tamo> so the next option is the Food Truck option for lunch .....
18:52:44 <tumbleweed> righto
18:52:49 <tamo> 3 Trucks with various food for meat and vegatarian, with one dessert truck and a coffee truck
18:53:13 <tamo> Maybe the delegates could get a coupon for that
18:53:26 <tamo> But only if the all the departments agree
18:54:02 <gwolf> tamo: would we have a seating place next to the trucks?
18:54:23 <gwolf> there's not much difference in "restauranty" vs. foodtruck if there is proper seating
18:54:37 <tumbleweed> I'd imagine we'd bring the trucks near somewhere we can provide seating
18:54:38 <tamo> gwolf: depending on where they give us at UCT we can arrange something
18:55:15 <gwolf> right, I'm a bit worried by this you mention that UCT have not answered recently... We do have the contract, so there's no risk of them disappearing on us (is there?)
18:55:28 <tamo> tumbleweed: Yes I was thinking outside the eating area or close to the engineering department, I seem to recall seating place inside?
18:55:46 <tumbleweed> NEB has seating on the ground floor
18:56:02 <gwolf> tamo: Rain risk?
18:56:12 <tamo> tumbleweed: cool yes maybe they can park in front of that area
18:56:18 <gwolf> we had lunches in tents outside in DC12, but some rainy days were... more complicated
18:56:20 <tumbleweed> leslie social also has a big open foyer (and might be able to provide covered area for food trucks)
18:56:48 <tamo> gwolf: not too sure just yet, tumbleweed awesome that could work
18:57:31 <tamo> tumbleweed: when could we nail down proper areas? or is that what we are waiting for - I'd be happy to meet with people if necessary
18:57:50 <tumbleweed> ginggs:?
18:58:41 <tamo> gwolf: when we know the space we can start with the details for now just getting quotes and seeing if it is a possibility
18:59:08 <gwolf> right
18:59:55 <tamo> is ginggs available?
19:00:02 <ginggs> ?
19:00:46 <tamo> ginggs: just wondering if we can start nailing down areas so we know what we are working with
19:01:49 <ginggs> I don't know, I would think we are waiting on the deal to be finalized with the CMC
19:01:53 <tamo> tumbleweed: for the conference dinner we are looking at more/less R500 a head
19:02:29 <tamo> tumbleweed: for a 3 course meal
19:03:13 <tamo> ginggs: ok who do we "sit" on for that? do you have a contact?
19:04:11 <tumbleweed> tamo: for comparison, it looks like DC15's dinner budget was €15k, which meant about €30 / head (assuming 500 attendees)
19:04:30 <ginggs> Belinda is the person indiebio and tumbleweed have been pinging
19:04:50 <tumbleweed> ginggs: you saw the reply she sent tamo (that I bounced to you)
19:05:52 <tamo> tumbleweed: wow that is alot if changed into rands
19:06:02 <tumbleweed> I'm not saying we should replicate that :)
19:06:07 <tumbleweed> I'm saying R500/head sounds reasonable
19:06:15 <tamo> tumbleweed: great :)
19:06:23 <tumbleweed> our pitch for Cape Town was that we were cheaper (but more expensive to get to)
19:06:51 <tamo> tumbleweed: ah ok well we will try our best!!
19:08:00 <tamo> tumbleweed: the message Belinda sent to us, I sent an email to the man she suggested and asked if I could organise a meeting
19:08:28 <tamo> tumbleweed: maybe he is the one who is the decision maker?
19:08:54 <tumbleweed> tamo: she said Michael is the health and saftey officer
19:09:21 <tumbleweed> so presumably not a decision maker so much as someone we have to get approval from
19:10:34 <tamo> tumbleweed: okay I thought he was the director oops. But good to have the approval
19:10:53 <tamo> ginggs: is indiebio handling Belinda then and the CMC
19:11:04 <tumbleweed> Belinda works for CMC
19:11:20 <tumbleweed> ginggs: the question is: Who do we need to get approval from, to use areas for food. I guess we ask Belinda :)
19:11:38 <tumbleweed> (unless we use NEB)
19:11:51 <tamo> tumbleweed: Belinda said we had to ask the other guy, sorry trying to access her email
19:12:32 <tumbleweed> no, she assumed we had a plan, which we don't: "Which venue are you using for the teas and lunches for the conference?"
19:12:37 <tamo> tumbleweed: I have a meeting with Mathew fox to work out Debcamp tomorrow
19:12:50 <tumbleweed> who is he?
19:14:27 <ginggs> tumbleweed: he runs the uct club, i think
19:14:32 <tamo> Michal Langley seems to be the guy for most things. Cool so lets choose a sspot and ask if we can permission etc
19:14:39 <ginggs> (from tammy's mail)
19:15:09 <tamo> tumbleweed: yes teh UCT club his menu is extensive so finding out what can be offered for smaller numbers
19:16:19 <tumbleweed> oh, right
19:16:20 <tumbleweed> OK
19:16:24 <tumbleweed> are we done with food?
19:16:33 <tamo> tumbleweed: so can we come up with a plan? and present it?
19:16:50 <tumbleweed> yep, sounds like you're well on your way :)
19:16:57 <tamo> tumbleweed: LOL
19:17:19 <tamo> ginggs: can you meet me tomorrow at 2pm?
19:17:55 <ginggs> for?
19:17:59 <tamo> tumbleweed: yes next week we will have quotes and options for foos
19:18:25 <tamo> ginggs: to look at options so we can present it and try and nail it down
19:18:55 <tamo> tumbleweed: as well as menu's for all to have a look at and hopefully make a decision
19:19:35 <ginggs> sorry, what options?
19:20:24 <tamo> ginggs: we need to work out where everything is going to go, what halls/spaces we can use and where all will take place with food etc
19:21:17 <tamo> ginggs: Belinda's email suggests that we need to make a decision, so I said to tumbleweed can we look at the options and present what we would like
19:22:07 <tamo> ginggs: therfore it would be good to meet with you so we can discuss it and look at it
19:24:06 <ginggs> i thought the venues had already been looked at and decided, sorry i'm very lost here
19:24:15 <tamo> tumbleweed: ?
19:24:22 <tumbleweed> ginggs: have we asked permission from UCT for any of it?
19:24:59 <tumbleweed> I was not aware of any eating area decisions / approval
19:25:24 <tumbleweed> UCT club looked like the way to go during debcamp
19:25:47 <tamo> tumbleweed: yup def
19:25:58 <tumbleweed> fuller dining hall would be an option during the conference, but that wasn't decided
19:26:22 <tamo> tumbleweed: ok cool well I can look at it tomorrow when I am there
19:26:43 <tumbleweed> OK, let's wind this up
19:26:48 <tumbleweed> #topic registration
19:26:57 <tumbleweed> I'm working on it
19:27:02 <tamo> tumbleweed: will UCT provide seating as I see on Belinda's email she says the caterers need to bring in their own furniturw
19:27:21 <tumbleweed> tamo: depends where we are
19:27:36 * madduck pants and waves
19:27:43 <tamo> tumbleweed: okidoke, so we need to consider that option too
19:27:59 <madduck> DLange: wo steckst Du denn?
19:27:59 <ginggs> tamo: club and fuller dining hall would have seating, other spaces not
19:28:10 <tamo> ginggs: thanks
19:30:50 <tamo> tumbleweed: off topic - got the ball moving today on T's and swag bags so should have that wrapped up soon
19:31:05 <tumbleweed> tamo: great
19:31:59 <tumbleweed> madduck: I think we need to open pre-reg ASAP, and then reg ASAP after that (there are more details to work out for full reg, so two steps still make sense)
19:33:21 <tumbleweed> it seems I'm talking to myself
19:33:25 <tumbleweed> so, let's call this meeting done :)
19:33:31 <tumbleweed> #topic any other business?
19:33:40 <madduck> tumbleweed: sorry
19:33:45 <ginggs> just the meeting tomorrow
19:33:46 <madduck> i was here, just on the phone
19:34:00 <ginggs> tamo: i'll see you at 14:00, anyone else joining us?
19:34:01 <tumbleweed> madduck: np
19:34:02 <madduck> tumbleweed: I would love to help but honestly I am quite at a loss as to how I can help.
19:34:11 <madduck> we haven't exactly found our mode yet…
19:34:13 <tumbleweed> madduck: yeah, what I'm working on now, I just need to get done
19:34:16 <tamo> tumbleweed: superfly, highvoltage met last night re website etc to discuss all
19:34:30 <tumbleweed> then we must talk details about registration (and collecting money :P )
19:34:33 <tamo> ginggs: thanks it will make things easier
19:34:48 <madduck> tumbleweed: meanwhile, I am just waiting for you to give me tasks. I do hope I'll be able to set aside time for this in the coming weeks, but I'll try.
19:35:07 <tumbleweed> madduck: thanks :)
19:36:10 <tamo> tumbleweed: we thought of getting the home page set up first with the sponsors and the registration
19:37:24 <tumbleweed> tamo: I don't understand
19:38:21 <tamo> tumbleweed: maybe superflyor highvoltage can full you in. As proper pages that are up and running.
19:38:49 <tamo> tumbleweed: and usable
19:38:54 <tumbleweed> right
19:39:12 <tumbleweed> the homepage and sponsors page are currently just templates, not wafer pages IIRC
19:39:21 <tumbleweed> and yes, I'd expect that we'd change that
19:39:28 <tumbleweed> people here are hustling for lunch, I need to go
19:39:38 <tamo> tumbleweed: they can elaborate, ok thanks
19:39:51 <tumbleweed> #endmeeting