18:31:55 <tumbleweed> #startmeeting
18:31:55 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Apr  6 18:31:55 2016 UTC.  The chair is tumbleweed. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:31:55 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:32:01 <tumbleweed> Agenda: http://deb.li/DC16meet1
18:32:41 <tamo> o/
18:33:12 <superfly> o/
18:33:27 <nattie> hola!
18:34:00 <tumbleweed> #topic Final accom numbers to UCT
18:34:16 <tumbleweed> Well, we thought we'd have have paid UCT months ago, by this point :/
18:34:53 <nkukard> how far is the deposit?
18:35:10 <tumbleweed> don't know, SPI got the go-ahead
18:35:16 <DLange> and we should have opened reg months ago .. but that's moaning about the past, so ... when do we get Belinda a "final" number and pay up on where we failed?
18:35:33 <DLange> tumbleweed, nkukard: paid and received acc. to CMC
18:35:41 <tumbleweed> oh, great
18:35:42 <DLange> (not heard anything from SPI, but ... :))
18:35:54 <nkukard> well, if CMC got the money, excellent
18:35:57 <nkukard> someone paid :)
18:36:16 <tumbleweed> so, from this point forward, revising numbers down starts to get more expensive
18:36:28 <tumbleweed> and revising up (always) risks unavailability
18:36:42 <DLange> schultmc may be able to confirm. I have a suspicion it was him that paid the deposit :)
18:37:48 <DLange> tumbleweed: how many registrations do we have now?
18:38:31 <DLange> (best segmented into prospective DebCamp and DebConf attendees)
18:38:36 <tumbleweed> Just looking at that
18:38:49 <tumbleweed> 148 DebConf (including wookey's bot)
18:38:55 <tumbleweed> 68 DebCamp
18:39:16 <tumbleweed> 128 asking for accommadation for DebConf
18:39:20 <tumbleweed> and 62 for DebCamp
18:39:41 <DLange> so 250 / 100 looks a bit high at the moment
18:40:13 <tumbleweed> I don't know how many we expect to register between now and start?
18:40:28 <tumbleweed> but given the expense of travel to ZA, I don't expect that many at the last minute wanting accom
18:40:35 <DLange> larjona: can we do a "last call" comms? (bursaries deadline is next Sunday and we'd need as many registrations early as we can)
18:41:46 <DLange> so, shall we decide in the next meeting on the cap and then communicate with CMC/UCT about this?
18:42:20 <DLange> I think it's not possible to give a good estimate yet, we have just been to late starting registration and no press yet, etc. yadda, yadda
18:42:29 <tumbleweed> we have about a month until the 45 day deadline
18:43:21 <DLange> yes, that's the last date but we should manage better and not rely on the contract deadlines
18:43:31 <tumbleweed> yep
18:43:36 <tumbleweed> well, we can change after that too, but we pay
18:44:02 <tumbleweed> #action larjona do a "last call" for bursaries and accommadation regitration
18:44:05 <DLange> yes, everybody can have two rooms ... not that great an idea :/
18:44:24 <tumbleweed> no, I mean, contractually 30-45 days we can reduce rooms at a 10% hit
18:44:38 <larjona> DLange yes, I was thinking if microblogging would be enough, or better mail and after that microblog with link to the mail
18:44:51 <tumbleweed> mail is what matters for our attendees I think
18:45:02 <DLange> larjona: and a press thingie please so the general (IT) press starts noticing DC16
18:45:05 <tumbleweed> #agreed decide on accomm adjustment next week
18:46:00 <ginggs> superfly: are you still on the mybroadband press release?
18:46:21 <superfly> ginggs: I've been waiting for the go-ahead by larjona
18:47:00 <larjona> I think the press is better after first batch of talks accepted
18:47:24 <larjona> But local people know better the audience
18:47:40 <superfly> and it's just local press, so bursaries are less likely to be needed
18:48:12 * DLange knows we need to get the accom figure right next week, so please use the big fan to get the info out
18:48:15 <ginggs> are we not expecting to give bursaries to local people?
18:48:42 <DLange> probably not flights but food+accom, sure
18:49:09 <ginggs> flights from joburg to cape town are expensive
18:49:18 <ginggs> (for locals)
18:49:23 <nkukard> R800 is not expensive gings :)
18:49:24 <DLange> so take the train
18:50:01 <larjona> I suppose press release is mainly for local tech sponsors and proffesionals attendees, people subject to bursaries already know about debconf? Or can benefit from outreach bursaries?
18:50:28 <tumbleweed> it's also a reminder to people who do know
18:50:36 <larjona> But, again, as you wish
18:50:47 <nkukard> https://www.flysafair.co.za/  <= R599 specials even
18:50:58 <DLange> ... topic ... ?
18:51:03 <tumbleweed> yeah, let's move no
18:51:04 <tumbleweed> on
18:51:12 <superfly> larjona: we might find sponsors via MyBroadband. They're the local technical news site.
18:51:13 <tumbleweed> #topic CMC queries
18:51:25 <tumbleweed> still figuring out the details of how we take payment
18:51:43 <tumbleweed> and CMC want more money, beacuse they didn't realise everything they wanted to do
18:51:49 <tumbleweed> (which I thought we were fairly clear about, upfront)
18:52:38 <tamo> tumbleweed: what do they want more money for?
18:53:09 <tumbleweed> paying for things that aren't accommadation, by the sound of it
18:53:27 <tamo> tumbleweed: have they not added a rate into all this, ah I see
18:53:30 <nkukard> how much more are we talking about?
18:53:31 <tumbleweed> R8k to R15k
18:53:46 <tumbleweed> so, doubling their fee, at a minimum
18:54:12 <tumbleweed> it seems the problem is "As previously discussed initially we were to take accom bookings only and not deal with any individual delegate payments"
18:54:55 <tamo> tumbleweed: wow that's not right, how much extra have they done? So far Belinda is telling us to go directly to everyone, it doesn't seem that they are doing to much extra?
18:55:08 <tamo> tumbleweed: oh ok
18:55:15 <tumbleweed> tamo: it will be a fair amount of admin for them
18:55:20 <tumbleweed> this is why we don't want to do it ourselves...
18:55:40 <tumbleweed> I assume the R7k increase is reasonable if they handle payments?
18:55:40 <tamo> tumbleweed: ok makes sense
18:55:49 <nkukard> I dont see a problem
18:55:54 <DLange> we need the script to get her the data for invoicing people asap
18:55:54 <tamo> tumbleweed: yup
18:55:55 <nkukard> I cannot think of any other way we can do it cheaper
18:56:20 <tumbleweed> DLange: yes
18:56:39 <DLange> me neither, $1k is o.k. but we need to make sure this is the cost and not "a minimum"
18:56:52 <DLange> because we're not their bank
18:56:54 <nkukard> tumbleweed, does this amount they want form part of the accomodation portion of the budget?
18:57:24 <nkukard> so if we don't hit 250 people, there is no need for me to change anything? in any case I want to add a 5% discretionary amount to allow us to cover small things
18:57:39 <tamo> tumbleweed: maybe we need to establish with the CMCif this is a fixed cost or would they be adding more, so we don't get anymore surprises down the line
18:57:41 <tumbleweed> nkukard: I think it does
18:57:54 <tumbleweed> yeah
18:58:24 <tumbleweed> #agreed CMC raising their coord fee to R15k to cover collecting attendee payment. We agree to that, but want a flat fee, not "minimum"
18:58:35 <nkukard> its unfortunate, but ok from my side
18:58:50 <tumbleweed> nkukard: we don't seem to have a section for admin in our budget
18:58:52 <tumbleweed> we should fix that
18:59:17 <nkukard> can you mail the list with the management amount, I"ll add it
18:59:41 <tumbleweed> #action tumbleweed to break out CMC management into a separate budget category
18:59:47 <nkukard> I just need a link to the doc, and bingo :)
19:00:21 <tumbleweed> #topic Budget
19:00:46 <tumbleweed> nkukard: the sponsors team can now give you summaries of committed sponsors
19:01:03 <nkukard> excellent, just need committed and expected, 2 values
19:01:55 <tumbleweed> anyone from the sponsors team able to help here?
19:01:55 <nkukard> I added a copy of the current budget amounts to the agenda, at the bottom for easy reference
19:02:23 <DLange> committed: $84k, expected: bgupta? :)
19:03:19 <azeem> I'd say we'd probably get another 10-20k, but thats's guaranteed of course
19:03:53 <DLange> + not in there
19:04:06 <DLange> but, yeah, I think $100k is reasonable
19:04:14 <azeem> right, +not
19:04:47 <DLange> so, nkukard, there you have your figures and a meetbot protocol to link to ^
19:05:09 <tumbleweed> #info committed: $84k, expected ~ $100k
19:05:31 <nkukard> thanks :)
19:05:32 <tamo> is that over a million in Rands?
19:05:41 <tumbleweed> yes
19:06:08 <tamo> tumbleweed: ok wow, is that a good amount or a reasonable amount?
19:06:10 <DLange> total budget we have from Nigel is $192k
19:06:21 <tumbleweed> tamo: it's low, for a debconf
19:06:30 <tumbleweed> esp one with expensive travel
19:06:39 <DLange> so we need $92k in self-payers and support from DebConf (esp. DC15) funds
19:06:48 <tamo> tumbleweed: Yup true that does play a big role
19:07:04 <DLange> also not a single local sponsor so far
19:07:16 <DLange> these used to be ~40% of the total in the past
19:07:20 <tumbleweed> by the look of it we'll be revising the budget down a bit (lower attendee count)
19:07:56 <highvoltage> tumbleweed: it's been on my mind, been away from computer too much, fwiw I did at least contact the guy about the audio equipment hires and awaiting response
19:08:01 <tamo> How do we get Local sponsors how would we go about it, what companies would be worth targeting?
19:08:25 <DLange> we have a list, tamo, ask indiebio or nkukard for details
19:08:31 <nattie> tamo: that's probably a thing for outside the meeting, if we want to get on with it
19:08:40 <cate> oops. I missed the start of meeting ( tumbleweed: you should pingall at beginning of meeting or in the few hours before!)
19:08:55 <tamo> DLange: ok I am sure they have it sorted
19:09:05 <tamo> nattie: sure
19:09:20 <tumbleweed> tamo: well, yeah, except that we haven't managed to get any money out of local companies, yet
19:09:34 <tumbleweed> anyway
19:09:41 <tumbleweed> #topic Budget for travel sponsorship
19:09:55 <highvoltage> 21:08 < DLange> also not a single local sponsor so far
19:10:00 <highvoltage> 21:08 < DLange> also not a single local sponsor so far
19:10:03 <tamo> tumbleweed: well we can chat later  about it but I would imagine cold calling
19:10:04 <highvoltage> (oops)
19:10:17 <highvoltage> DLange: I'm committing for bronze fwiw will send a mail to sponsors
19:10:20 <tumbleweed> tamo: that's the least effective, but sometimes it's the best we can do
19:10:29 <DLange> highvoltage: yeah!!! Thank you!
19:10:52 <tamo> tumbleweed: yup ok I'll leave it to the powers that be
19:10:58 <highvoltage> well it's little but hopefully it might encourage some others
19:11:09 <highvoltage> (if I do something it usually becomes cool and ethen everyone wants to do it)
19:11:15 <tumbleweed> heh
19:11:17 <tamo> highvoltage: :)
19:11:18 <DLange> :)
19:11:27 <larjona> Definitely, then, the press release after you appear in DC/sponsors
19:11:35 <tumbleweed> back to the topic, bremner's e-mail
19:12:32 <tumbleweed> the question, as madduck saw it, is whether the bursaries team decides how to split between travel, accom, and food, or we do
19:12:44 <tumbleweed> is there anything else in  there we should be talking about?
19:13:19 <DLange> we have R700k = $46k in the budget for sponsorship
19:14:09 <DLange> I think we stick to this for now even if we revise other budget lines down?
19:14:20 <highvoltage> tumbleweed: it will probably be easier for the local team if bursaries team handles it?
19:14:21 <tumbleweed> yeah, that's how I'm feeling
19:14:32 <tumbleweed> highvoltage: sure, but does the bursaries team want that responsibility? :)
19:15:03 <highvoltage> if only there were a way we could answer those questions. like asking the bursaries team.
19:15:22 <tumbleweed> well, that bit seems to be happening usefully on the mailing list?
19:15:25 <cate> there is not yet a team
19:15:50 <cate> bremner just start to call for team members
19:17:01 <tumbleweed> OK, let's move on, then
19:17:20 <tumbleweed> #topic Accessibility
19:18:08 <tumbleweed> without indiebio, is there anything we can discuss here?
19:18:17 <tumbleweed> we know we need some wheelchair accommodation
19:18:29 <tumbleweed> sign language interpreters don't sound necessary (or that useful)
19:18:39 <nattie> i am so far only aware of one request for wheelchair accommodation
19:18:49 <tumbleweed> yeah
19:18:54 <tamo> tumbleweed: agreed especially if their are language barriers
19:19:03 <nattie> indeed
19:19:16 <tumbleweed> transport may be necessary
19:19:26 <nattie> you mean for wheelchair users?
19:19:31 <tumbleweed> yeah
19:20:02 <tumbleweed> the one person who we know about probably doesn't need transport around campus, though?
19:20:02 <nattie> *nods*
19:20:13 <highvoltage> we need some volunteers on standby for assistance just in case
19:20:14 <nattie> yeah, they're fine getting around
19:20:38 <nattie> yeah, and we should possibly put out an explicit request for people who need assistance to get in touch with registration?
19:20:53 <tamo> tumbleweed: doesn't UCT have Golf Carts that they transport people around in?
19:21:14 <tumbleweed> tamo: no, there's a van or two for wheelchair-using students
19:21:22 <tamo> tumbleweed: ah ok
19:21:55 <tamo> tumbleweed: so would we need to book them then, if it over vac time
19:22:23 <nattie> it's a big "if" at the moment whether they're needed, anyway
19:22:33 <tumbleweed> #agreed we only need one accessible room at this point, and no sign language. Transport isn't critical (yet) either
19:22:53 <tumbleweed> I thought fuller had a couple of ground floor rooms?
19:23:04 <nattie> TTBOMK there is only one "marginally accessible" room in Fuller
19:23:10 <tumbleweed> ah, I see
19:23:14 <nattie> there are fully wheelchair-accessible rooms in other residences
19:23:21 <tumbleweed> is it sufficiently marginally accessible?
19:23:40 <nattie> and we're still trying to establish what "marginally accessible" means... i think indiebio is meant to hear back from them but not sure whether she has
19:23:51 <tumbleweed> OK
19:23:54 <tumbleweed> let's move on
19:23:57 <nattie> *nods*
19:24:03 <tumbleweed> #topic Conference Dinner options
19:24:19 <tamo> nattie: I think she has a meeting with them next week?
19:24:26 <tumbleweed> let me get tamo's documents into git
19:25:43 <tamo> tumbleweed: thanks! Those are options for now, if the numbers are less then we can add the Gold Cafe they can take up to 200people not sure if anyone else has some suggestions
19:26:49 <KGB-0> 03Stefano Rivera 05master f406cc9 06debconf-data/dc16 10dinner/ 10(12 files in 2 dirs) Conference dinner options
19:29:27 <tamo> tumbleweed: the menu's are also there if you are able to add those in too, so people can get an idea of what they serve
19:29:30 <tumbleweed> tamo: from a brief skim of that, I like the Aquarium too
19:30:04 <tamo> tumbleweed: Yup really stunning and within the budget, def something memorable
19:30:22 <KGB-1> 03Nigel Kukard 05master 1ee48c7 06debconf-data/dc16 4 commits pushed,  104 files changed, 0323(+), 042(-)
19:30:59 <nkukard> (added journal to track sponsors and expenses and payments)
19:31:15 <DLange> I think the stardust would also be nice if we stay below ~200 people
19:31:30 <nkukard> sorry on a sort of unrelated note, will I be getting a copy of the invoices CMC pays so I can enter them in?
19:31:49 <tamo> tumbleweed: with the Aquarium we can work with them to decide on a menu they will be able to get in some Craft Beers too, we can set the tables as we wnat them not as elaborate as the brochure
19:32:10 <nkukard> or will CMC track these things and give us the accounts report?
19:32:26 <DLange> we should negotiate a flat fee for drinks or "three per person" on a token basis. If 200+ people need to pay individually in a foreign currency and all the Americans want to swipe cards ... not a good idea.
19:32:28 <tumbleweed> DLange: yeah, stardust is fun
19:32:51 <tamo> DLange: yes def!! Also Gold Cafe they have African dancers and puppets etc. But Stardust is a bit of everything
19:33:47 <nattie> DLange: can i iscuss that with you afterwards, briefly?
19:34:00 <tamo> DLange: what we could do is maybe select some options beforehand and people pay for that upfront or as you say we include it in the budget
19:34:02 <nattie> (drink tokens etc)
19:34:11 <DLange> nattie: whatever that is ... ah sure
19:34:20 <nattie> let's not try to reinvent the wheel on that now :)
19:34:27 <tumbleweed> tamo: I think you should transcribe the contents of your PDF into a mail to -team
19:34:42 <DLange> nattie: madduck probaly has some stickers left :D
19:34:43 <tumbleweed> and see if we get any other suggestions, as well
19:34:58 <tamo> tumbleweed: ok sure I can do that, or should I put it on Titanpad?
19:35:30 <tumbleweed> no, I mean that PDF is essentially a letter to the team - the way we do that is by mailing the team mailing list
19:35:50 <tamo> tumbleweed: ah ok sure I'll do that now
19:36:12 <tumbleweed> just copy-paste the contents :) people are less likely to read attached PDFs
19:36:52 <tumbleweed> ok, sorry, this meeting has dragged on a bit
19:36:54 <tamo> :) sure you read my mind , but must not attach the Menu's otherwise it won't go through
19:37:05 <tumbleweed> yeah, point to them in git
19:37:27 <tumbleweed> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debconf-data/dc16.git/tree/dinner/Restaurants%20and%20Menus
19:37:51 <tamo> tumbleweed: ok I will see what I can do with Git maybe superfly can help me tomorrow
19:37:52 <tumbleweed> OK with reviewing these again, next week?
19:38:03 <tumbleweed> tamo: just include that link I pasted in the e-mail
19:38:30 <tumbleweed> #topic Dining venues at UCT
19:38:35 <tumbleweed> see the discussion before the meeting
19:38:46 <tumbleweed> apparently we won't get access to Fuller dining halls any more
19:38:50 <tumbleweed> (or kitchens)
19:39:13 <tumbleweed> Should we ask Matt for advice here? or is that problematic because we aren't using his service?
19:39:38 <DLange> is the food at Fuller really that bad?
19:39:46 <DLange> I mean, this would be the easy option...
19:40:30 <tumbleweed> and it saves money
19:40:51 <DLange> and is also guaranteed to work
19:41:00 <tumbleweed> except that they don't cater to all our needs
19:41:06 <tamo> tumbleweed: ok - sorry my connection droppped
19:41:11 <DLange> the "bring your own kitchen and not know where to store stuff" makes me slightly nervous :)
19:41:14 <tumbleweed> but if we're using them more, presumably they won't mind additional caterers
19:42:02 <DLange> e.g. the food trucks (which people could then pay by themselves if they find the Fuller food insufficient for their demands)
19:42:08 <tamo> DLange: the problem with UCT is they won't bend on special needs we have to order lunch or dinner packs if we require this
19:42:57 <DLange> tamo: i'm sure they'll be able to provide a veggie option. I guess enough students are veggies these days, not?
19:43:00 <tamo> DLange: TBC have done UCT before and the one option is that thye can take the dirty plates back and bring new ones at Dinner
19:43:15 <tamo> DLange: nope or halaal
19:43:50 <tumbleweed> tamo: can we argue that this is unacceptable, and they have to let a third party caterer in, if they won't cater to our needs?
19:44:42 <nattie> tamo: btw can i keep you for a moment afterwards to tell you about another food truck option?
19:45:02 <tamo> tumbleweed: I was thinking of sending Belinda an email tomorrow to see if they would make an exception with the argumnet that UCT/ Fuller can't cater to all our needs
19:45:19 <tamo> nattie: sure
19:45:26 <nattie> cool :)
19:45:57 <tamo> tumbleweed: But lets also see what the VEnue people say they might have a solution for us
19:46:08 <tumbleweed> yeah, ok, so we come back to this next week?
19:46:33 <tamo> tumbleweed: I think so I will see what magic I can weave and what opions we will have
19:46:55 <tumbleweed> alright then
19:47:04 <tumbleweed> #agreed revisit food, next week
19:47:13 <tumbleweed> #topic Any other business
19:47:26 <tumbleweed> nkukard: re tracking payments, I can ask them
19:47:49 <ginggs> tumbleweed: you asked about the PA system
19:47:57 <tumbleweed> ginggs: yes!
19:48:07 <tamo> tumbleweed: nope but hopefully I will have all my Quotes in for T's and Swag
19:49:04 <ginggs> i went to have a closer look at LT9 in Menzies
19:49:28 <ginggs> they have the same new podium that we now have in Chem Eng
19:50:11 <ginggs> there is a i guess 20U rack in the corner with the switches and amps, but it is locked
19:50:20 <ginggs> ICTS control all this stuff
19:50:29 <tumbleweed> ginggs: what if a lecturer wants to wear a wireless mic?
19:50:43 <tumbleweed> there used to be a lockable cabinet in every LT with mics and PA system
19:50:57 <ginggs> I think we should add this to our list of things to ask ICTS
19:51:20 <tumbleweed> ginggs: OK
19:51:55 <ginggs> i.e. what is it that video team need to jack in
19:52:39 <tumbleweed> ginggs: ideally an XLR feed straight into the PA system (bypassing everything else)
19:52:49 <tumbleweed> we'll have our own mics etc
19:54:05 <tumbleweed> well, I guess we're done
19:54:08 <tumbleweed> #endmeeting