18:31:13 <tumbleweed> #startmeeting
18:31:13 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed May  4 18:31:13 2016 UTC.  The chair is tumbleweed. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:31:13 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:31:15 <tumbleweed> Agenda:
18:31:17 <tumbleweed> http://deb.li/DC16meet1
18:32:09 <cate> +1 on nattie also chairing ;-)
18:32:28 <tumbleweed> she asked me not to do that to her, but I happily will :P
18:32:38 <tamo> cate: sorry is looong just so many options
18:32:50 <highvoltage> evenin' tamo
18:32:52 <cate> tamo: it is good to have choices
18:33:05 <cate> roll call
18:33:06 <DLange> <tumbleweed> she asked me not to do that to her, but I happily will :P  <- quote file
18:33:17 <nattie> oy vey
18:33:22 <tamo> highvoltage: howdy parten'r
18:33:29 <nattie> i'll watch, and you know where to find me if you need me
18:33:40 <tumbleweed> #topic early & late checkins
18:33:48 <tumbleweed> DLange: didn't get this done today. Tomorrow, promise :)
18:33:54 <tamo> cate: :) yup
18:34:02 <DLange> tumbleweed: noted :)
18:34:09 <tumbleweed> or tonight, if you want to help me work on it
18:34:38 <tamo> highvoltage: epic fail but you get the idea!
18:34:43 <DLange> well, I'd just use grep, not that hard
18:34:54 <tumbleweed> DLange: no, I mean an email to persuade them
18:35:15 <tumbleweed> could also try that in-person
18:35:17 <DLange> tumbleweed: no email. Go there in person.
18:35:26 <DLange> the email should just announce your visit
18:35:38 <tumbleweed> DLange: alright, that tonight, then
18:35:44 <highvoltage> tamo: heh it's ok my dyslexic brain autocorrected it.
18:35:56 <tamo> highvoltage: haha great :)
18:36:05 <tumbleweed> #action tumbleweed to visit CMC, and figure out early/late attendees
18:36:37 <tumbleweed> #topic Catering
18:36:39 <DLange> #action tumbleweed to take flowers and/or chocolate along
18:36:44 <tumbleweed> lol
18:36:56 <DLange> ;-)
18:37:16 <nattie> what, you think his delightful demeanour isn't enough to charm them into doing whatever we want?
18:37:33 * tumbleweed joined tamo's meeting with CMC and UCT Health & Safety, today
18:37:44 <tumbleweed> err TBC not CMC
18:37:45 <nattie> (clearly, that offended jcristau)
18:38:02 <tamo> Yes a problem with Catering
18:38:09 <tumbleweed> they seemed happy with molly blackburn, but it's also not going to be easy
18:38:16 <nattie> -v please?
18:38:22 <tumbleweed> we haven't been able to get any kitchen space
18:38:29 <nattie> oh
18:38:38 <tumbleweed> and molly blackburn isn't lockable
18:38:49 <tumbleweed> so, we'll probably need 24/7 security, to make sure tables and chairs don't vanish
18:38:49 <nattie> so stuff would have to be prepared offsite and carted in?
18:38:56 <tamo> tumbleweed: We got the go ahead from the Health and Safety so that is great! Cost might go up so we are waiting on a quote
18:39:05 <tumbleweed> and they'll need 2 sets of crockery, and take them off-site to wash
18:39:18 <moray_> tumbleweed: do we know the cost for the extra security?  (or were we already including it in the budget?)
18:39:19 <tumbleweed> or use disposeable (biodegradable)
18:39:24 <DLange> yeah, cold food because we do not want the onsite caterer?
18:39:34 <DLange> Not that good an idea, is it?
18:39:35 <tamo> nattie: yes it would but it might be expensive with having to take things away and bring them back at dinner
18:39:37 <tumbleweed> moray_: this is something we're looking at for other things too, no prices yet
18:39:45 <moray_> tumbleweed: disposeable will upset lots of attendees I guess
18:39:56 <tumbleweed> nattie: all food will be prepared offsite, yes
18:40:02 <tamo> DLange: no they have Bain Marines so food is hot not a problem
18:40:03 <tumbleweed> moray_: yeah, that's my concern, too
18:40:04 <indiebio> ginggs said he and tamo went to the tennis club cafe, was that not an option?
18:40:32 <tumbleweed> indiebio: you mean UCT club?
18:40:37 <tamo> indiebio: Tennis club there is no space
18:40:43 <indiebio> no, at the top near the tennis courts
18:40:48 <indiebio> ok
18:40:48 <tamo> indiebio:  we would need to hire a Tent
18:40:51 <tumbleweed> indiebio: ah, that isn't a cafe
18:40:56 <ginggs> yeah, it is tiny
18:40:59 <tumbleweed> tamo: how big is upstairs in the tennis club?
18:41:01 <ginggs> it is a cafe now tumbleweed
18:41:06 <tumbleweed> ginggs: o_O :/
18:41:13 <indiebio> I saw a sign saying 'tennis club cafe', and ginggs told me he went there
18:41:20 <tumbleweed> indiebio: right, things have changed :)
18:41:27 <tumbleweed> ginggs: is the cafe upstairs or down?
18:41:31 <tamo> tumbleweed: not sure but the club house look small we didn't go upstairs though
18:41:42 <tumbleweed> upstairs is the space we used to hire for events
18:41:47 <tumbleweed> it has a kitchen
18:41:55 <tumbleweed> but it's probably significantly smaller than molly blackburn
18:42:07 <indiebio> but lockable and really close to the conference venue.
18:42:18 <indiebio> maybe tumbleweed can go check it out again?
18:42:28 <tamo> tumbleweed: I can explore that option I did call the number I was given but doesn't exist, so moved on.
18:42:31 <tumbleweed> indiebio: yeah, it was on my todo list for tomorrow, anyway :)
18:42:36 <tamo> tumbleweed: But can set up a meeting
18:42:37 <indiebio> :)
18:43:06 <tamo> tumbleweed: I'll leave it to you then
18:43:07 <tumbleweed> tamo: let me go past with a tape-measure first, and get an idea for the size. I simply can't remember
18:43:26 <tamo> tumbleweed: perfect!
18:43:47 <moray_> would the eating be in this room, or also outside?  (I don't know the layout)
18:44:10 <tumbleweed> moray_: molly blackburn?
18:44:38 <tamo> C3 caterers dumbassman and I went to see them
18:44:44 <moray_> I'm a bit confused on the options/whether the tent is an option or definite
18:44:52 <dumbassman> I think C3 catering is the best option.
18:44:55 <tamo> the Food was good - but still my 3 option
18:44:56 <tumbleweed> I took these awful pictures https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zxivgqwlqrd2ggx/AACotiP5I9EYYCncchUPW0Mia
18:44:59 <moray_> not that it matters too much if I am confused, just wondering now :)
18:45:32 <dumbassman> easiest in terms of effort and requirements, not necessarily best in taste
18:45:47 <tamo> moray_: I mentioned the tent if we used the Tennis Club
18:45:53 <moray_> tumbleweed: ok, so it's a big enough area for lots of tables, I see
18:46:00 <tumbleweed> moray_: that's molly blackburn
18:46:14 <tumbleweed> and that little cafe in the inside room is apparently not closing during the holidays
18:46:27 <tamo> moray_: Molly Blackburn is great - space wise - and we have the go-ahead, but logistically we have a few issues
18:46:37 <moray_> tumbleweed: so "normal people" would be using it, then?
18:46:45 <tumbleweed> similarly, I was at UCT club today too https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hzkg8epd9vyktwx/AABBQdgohkGfDKeogPAvw8z9a
18:47:13 <tumbleweed> moray_: yeah, molly blackburn is rather central, and people will be going through it whether we like it or not
18:48:02 <tumbleweed> or at least, going through the areas beyond the arches
18:48:11 <tumbleweed> (and through the hall itself to get to figo cafe)
18:48:22 <tamo> tumbleweed: well we can create a walk way away from the main area
18:48:25 <nattie> that's mostly grad students, presumably?
18:48:52 <tumbleweed> nattie: yep
18:49:10 <tamo> nattie: yes it vac time so not as busy, most go away over the holidays - I believe
18:50:32 <DLange> we just need to make sure to place the job fair where people walk and not exactly where they shall eat at the same time
18:50:37 <tamo> tumbleweed: the problem with Molly Blackburn is: 1) we need a security guard, 2) We need either disposable cutlery and crockery or 3) they take it away which adds to the price
18:51:02 <nattie> should we work out the costs of disposable and two sets?
18:51:05 <tumbleweed> yeah, all less than ideal
18:51:12 <tumbleweed> nattie: they're going to quote us on that
18:51:23 <nattie> i expect two sets would be the lesser of two evils
18:51:25 <tamo> nattie: yup they are requoting for all, but as tumbleweed says not ideal
18:51:57 <DLange> ... Fuller hall caterer ...
18:52:04 <indiebio> DLange: Job fair will be in the Menzies Glasshouse, which is very close to the snape lecture theatre, as well as two booked lecture theatres.
18:52:05 <tumbleweed> That's C3
18:52:07 <tumbleweed> DLange:
18:52:09 <DLange> has kitchen, has cutlery, has ...
18:52:15 <tamo> tumbleweed: perhaps we explore the Tennis Club and see what their Quote entails
18:52:45 <indiebio> tumbleweed: could you also think about if job fair would work in the glass house or rather in snape? Snape would be basically in a corridor, which I think will be clumbsy.
18:53:02 <tamo> DLange: `yup but food is quite bland
18:53:05 <tumbleweed> indiebio: in snape, it could be in an A lecture theatre (the triangular ones)
18:53:21 <indiebio> yeah, could work too. They're all booked, you can make the final decision.
18:53:34 <tumbleweed> glasshouse is presumably nicer
18:53:40 <highvoltage> that's where the glass ceilings will be shattered right?
18:53:45 <dumbassman> i think c3, food was adequate and they I think they are the most practical
18:53:52 <DLange> tamo: yes, but all other options currently seem like a quite expensive and possibly chaotic bolt-on
18:54:25 <tumbleweed> ok, let's talk about C3 for a minute
18:54:34 <tumbleweed> first: UCT Club vs C3
18:54:35 <DLange> you need a kitchen and storage space for the caterer. No way to bring stuff for 200 people warm and distribute it warm as well.
18:54:49 <tamo> DLange: yup although Matt Fox can do 2 seatings up to 180 people
18:54:58 <DLange> that will all be mashy luke warm somethings. Just sayinÄ
18:55:22 <tamo> DLange: not for UCT club/pub that is where the DebCamp is happening
18:55:29 <DLange> ack
18:55:37 <DLange> that sounds like a good solution
18:55:50 <DLange> the DebConf one looks not "there" for me at all
18:56:08 <DLange> and we're discussing this for four weeks or so in a row now...
18:56:19 <tamo> DLange: it is def 2nd on the list, we must just alternate the Lunch times. ie 12-1pm and 1pm - 2pm
18:56:20 <tumbleweed> yeah, not to mention before that...
18:56:50 <DLange> I'd say, tumbleweed, indiebio, tamo: meet onsite
18:57:01 <DLange> find a location _or_ Matt and/or C3 it is
18:57:18 <tumbleweed> C3: Will they handle all our special dietary needs?
18:57:19 <tamo> DLange: yup annoying but thought that all was sorted out with an area for Caterers
18:57:23 <tumbleweed> or do we need a cateror on the side?
18:57:27 <tumbleweed> caterer
18:57:38 <tamo> tumbleweed: C3 - will accomodate us.
18:57:39 <moray_> DLange: yes, I think these things are probably better sorted out by on-site meetings really -- and not too many weeks to sort it out now :)
18:58:23 <tamo> tumbleweed: vegetarian are actually better than meat - in my opnion
18:58:41 <DLange> tumbleweed: negatiating that should be easy compared to an offsite caterer without any storage, without any kitchen and possibly not even allowed to drive onto the premise as much as I followed the "hard to get parking permits" discussion so far
18:58:43 <cate> time to finally start a diet
18:58:44 <tamo> tumbleweed: they will also let us add things onto the Menu or take things out etc
18:58:50 <tumbleweed> DLange: absolutely
18:59:20 <DLange> cate: two weeks of cookies and finger food :)
18:59:31 <tamo> tumbleweed: ok so have we made that decision then?
19:00:13 <tumbleweed> tamo: TBC in molly blackburn seems like it's going to get very expensive and annoying
19:00:26 <tumbleweed> let's wait for the quote, and in the meantime, I'll look at the tennis club
19:00:33 <tamo> tumbleweed: yes but should we not just see the quote though?
19:00:41 <tamo> tumbleweed: :)
19:00:52 <tamo> tumbleweed: okidoki
19:00:57 <tumbleweed> ok, time to move on with the agenda
19:01:06 <DLange> tumbleweed: disuss that onsite, find a solution (and then ask for updated quotes etc.) and propose that
19:01:07 <tumbleweed> #action tumbleweed to look at UCT tennis club (also for cheese & wine)
19:01:53 <tumbleweed> indiebio: would you want to be involved in such a meeting?
19:02:01 <indiebio> no thanks
19:02:02 <KGB-2> 03Bernelle Verster 05master 14bed5a 06debconf-data/dc16 03accommodation/Fuller_residence_layout.jpeg Add Fuller residence layout and updated wiki with information
19:02:03 <tumbleweed> heh
19:02:19 <nattie> omg, we have a Fuller floor plan?
19:02:45 <indiebio> yeah, I was supposed to chase you up and then see them on site. shall we do it this week :)
19:03:09 <DLange> only three more weeks and we'll have a room Excel/Libreoffice sheet :)
19:03:21 <tumbleweed> heh
19:03:30 <tumbleweed> ok, moving on
19:03:42 <tumbleweed> #topic Day Trip
19:03:54 <indiebio> nattie: forwarded that email to you again, please let me know any other questions and then I can visit them.
19:03:57 <tumbleweed> see 'daytrip/160504 Conference day trip options Tammy.pdf' in git
19:04:03 <nattie> indiebio: cheers :)
19:05:55 <tamo> tumbleweed: added all options, there are set ones which are more expensive or we can create out own
19:06:16 <DLange> tamo: awesome work on the daytrips! Can we make the conference two days and chose five day-trips each? :)
19:06:23 <tamo> tumbleweed: but suggestions for now, anyone is free to add or make suggestions
19:06:35 <indiebio> and then I'm guessing options like hiking that doesn't need any money can just be added on the wiki somewhere?
19:06:36 <tamo> DLange: lol! thanks
19:06:50 <tumbleweed> indiebio: yeah, I'm sure there'll be ad-hoc suggestions from the community
19:07:01 <DLange> tamo: Attendees will pay themselves. So we can offer multiple options and people can choose. There should be one that is free or very low cost.
19:07:10 <tamo> indiebio: Yup people can hike from Table mountain to Kits
19:07:15 <tumbleweed> I'm guessing we should pick 2 or 3 days activities to offer attendees with organised transport
19:07:16 <tamo> Kirstenbosh
19:07:19 <tamo> Perhaps
19:07:20 <moray_> DLange: when do they need to sign-up/pay?
19:07:46 <nattie> ...and will it fall to FD to have to collect?
19:07:54 <tamo> DLange: ah ok that works well, the the Aqulla one would be awesome
19:08:16 <dumbassman> Walking from Newland Forest up Table mountain is free, and awesome morning hike
19:08:17 <DLange> moray_: typically during registration / first days of Debconf, see the DC15 procedere with the wiki pages (paying then in the bus via bus masters)
19:08:34 <tamo> dumbassman: def!
19:08:39 <moray_> DLange: I know the DC15 procedure, but I wondered if you needed firm numbers further in advance for this
19:09:22 <tumbleweed> many of these could be visited by individuals, without block bookings
19:09:31 <tumbleweed> I'm assuming these aren't group prices, tamo?
19:09:33 <tamo> DLange: always good to book in advance if we can, but they are mostly public places
19:09:40 <tamo> tumbleweed: yes they are
19:09:49 <DLange> moray_: nah, we'll reserve a bus and once that's full you need to choose the other options. Or add another bus. ZA is much more flexible than things were -say- in Germany.
19:09:50 <bremner> individual visits miss the point of the day trip IMVHO
19:10:15 <tamo> tumbleweed: I have cjecked with all that are on the list to get special prices - some gave us some and others not
19:10:18 <DLange> yes, hence the 2-3 options that tumbleweed mentioned above
19:10:23 <tumbleweed> tamo: right
19:11:06 <tumbleweed> a few of these could also be combined in a single day trip
19:11:13 <tumbleweed> i.e. all the constantia wine farms in one go :)
19:11:18 <tamo> tumbleweed: Aquilla was R1600 - R1800 originally
19:11:50 <DLange> so, how do we proceed with this? Who makes them into 2-3 (or 5) options (with one being free or cheap)?
19:11:55 <tamo> tumbleweed: yes, and the bus is ours for the day @ about R75 per person
19:12:39 <tumbleweed> hiking is presumably the free one
19:12:54 <tumbleweed> kirstenbosch also makes for a laid-back daytrip
19:12:54 <indiebio> DLange: Make a wiki page, listing them, and link to the pdf?
19:13:09 <tumbleweed> (and is hikeable from UCT, and free if you hike in)
19:13:20 <tamo> DLange: well those are my suggestions, with Day Trip combo's so if anyone else has one or two to add or change etc, then maybe put it on Sandstorm
19:13:29 <DLange> tamo: that's awesome. Everybody pays R 75 (or day R 80 for the tip etc.) + further tour costs (as long as they need a bus) and DebConf covers the empty seats.
19:14:03 <DLange> indiebio: was that you volunteering? :)
19:14:12 <tamo> DLange: true there might be empty seat
19:14:18 <indiebio> if nothing happens I guess I'd be frustrated enough to do it...
19:14:20 <DLange> perhaps somebody else can do that with tamo?
19:14:30 <tamo> *seats - sorry I am quite tired
19:14:45 <DLange> she probably needs some wiki help and the content seems to be all there in the .pdf.
19:15:04 <tumbleweed> this is the perfect task for a new person to help out, if we have any of those
19:15:18 <tumbleweed> we must move on with the agenda
19:15:19 <tamo> DLange: wiki and me a frustration, in setting up. Time I don't have :(
19:15:19 <dumbassman> ok, I'll take it on
19:15:28 <DLange> cool, thank you!
19:15:38 <DLange> and thanks again tamo, awesome work again!
19:15:39 <cate> tumbleweed: a new person need to have an account to wiki, which is IIRC not so obvious now
19:15:39 <tumbleweed> #topic dumbassman to wikify day trip options
19:15:41 <tumbleweed> err
19:15:45 <tumbleweed> #action dumbassman to wikify day trip options
19:15:47 <tumbleweed> oops
19:15:52 <tumbleweed> #topic Insurance
19:15:58 <tamo> dumbassman: thank-you let me know if you need questions answered
19:16:05 <dumbassman> will do
19:16:38 <DLange> tamo, dumbassman: please make 2-3 (or 5) options that in total can cover 250 people
19:17:11 <DLange> (e.g. we can't make two boats so that one will have a "natural" cap)
19:17:32 <tamo> DLange: ok sure, boats can take up to 200
19:17:33 <highvoltage> tumbleweed: AIMS asked me today about insurance so I said someone at debconf is looking in to it and I'll get back to them
19:17:51 <tumbleweed> so, UCT won't help us
19:17:57 <DLange> don't make too many options, the more busses we have the more slack (empty spaces in busses), also less DebConf "team" experience
19:17:58 <tumbleweed> they said we're insured for third party liability
19:17:59 <tamo> DLange: anyway we will make a proper schedule etc
19:18:06 <indiebio> tumbleweed: are you on the insurance or do you need something more from me? You have a better idea of the equipment...
19:18:07 <tumbleweed> but their insurance office won't help wit hother things
19:18:33 <tamo> DLange: ok sure - good point
19:18:35 <tumbleweed> indiebio: I can contact a broker, that's about it :P
19:19:02 <tumbleweed> I mean, I assume we've exhaused our UCT options?
19:19:09 <indiebio> Belinda gave us a number, and I think insurance is generally pretty basic. But you do need a rough idea of the value of replacement.
19:19:15 <DLange> we just need to insure highvoltage's stuff, what we rent (unless that is insured) and servers/network equipment
19:19:20 <tumbleweed> indiebio: oh, I didn't see that
19:19:41 <tumbleweed> oh, right, I did
19:19:46 <indiebio> she replied to your 'that's so helpful' <sarcasm> email with more info :)
19:19:49 <DLange> so: 5xPC + video stuff + RichiH figure whenever he replies to my calls
19:19:53 <tumbleweed> indiebio: that wasn't insuranec, though
19:19:55 <tumbleweed> that was security
19:20:14 <indiebio> oh.
19:20:29 <indiebio> hmm. sortof insurance though ;)
19:20:36 <tumbleweed> sortof :P
19:20:42 <ginggs> preventative insurance
19:20:46 <DLange> anti-theft insurance
19:21:01 <tumbleweed> indiebio: can you contact them for a quote?
19:21:13 <tumbleweed> and I'll take the insurance side
19:21:14 <DLange> or "running away first" non-insurance
19:21:37 <tumbleweed> #action tumbleweed to get an insurance quote for on-site equipment
19:23:04 <tumbleweed> indiebio: ?
19:23:23 <tumbleweed> #topic Open Weekend
19:23:29 <tumbleweed> err that also needs her
19:23:40 <DLange> ginggs: poke left :)
19:23:55 <tumbleweed> #topic General Business
19:24:00 <tumbleweed> we can come back to indiebio topics
19:24:12 <tumbleweed> tamo got quotes for busses for dinner and airports, too
19:24:42 <indiebio> tumbleweed: will do, will try remember what we did for our event.
19:24:49 <tamo> tamo: Yup they were very helpful, for the dinner the 2nd option can work well
19:24:51 * indiebio took a wee break
19:25:11 <tumbleweed> #action indiebio to cotact G4S for security quote
19:25:18 <nattie> ...
19:25:26 <DLange> I think airport transport should be individual responsibility but it would be awesome if we can offer pre-bookable options to people
19:25:37 <tumbleweed> 2x13 seater shuttles on 30 min schedule is R 6 870 per day
19:25:45 <moray_> how are we on the schedule for reconfirmation, checking who that got bursaries is coming, etc.?
19:25:53 <indiebio> #action indiebio to contact insurance people for options?
19:25:58 <tumbleweed> indiebio: I did that
19:26:05 <tumbleweed> indiebio: oh, insurance
19:26:10 <indiebio> ah, sorry, I see now. but I'll check anyway
19:26:41 <tumbleweed> bremner, nattie: moray_'s question
19:27:18 <bremner> well. the first item is deciding who gets bursaries
19:27:23 <bremner> we're doing the best we can.
19:27:28 <tumbleweed> nattie: I remember you writing a reconfirmation date down. But I can't remember it
19:28:32 <nattie> tumbleweed: i think we settled on the deadline being the 20th of May
19:28:48 <tumbleweed> which is 2 weeks away
19:28:53 <nattie> so we should probably open reconfirmation pretty dashed soon
19:28:56 <tumbleweed> which means we should open it soon, yeah
19:28:57 <bremner> bursaries will be done by the 15, hopefully before. But life is complicated.
19:29:03 <tumbleweed> but that requires bursaries...
19:29:21 <nattie> ah.  yerss.
19:29:43 <tumbleweed> #info proposed reconfirmation deadline: 20 may
19:29:56 <DLange> I'd say bursaries 15th, reconf by 23nd (one week + Monday)
19:30:09 <nattie> DLange: that puts us just after the 30 day mark, though
19:30:19 <cate> bremner: will your team confirm people in batches?
19:30:27 <bremner> yes
19:30:54 <cate> So for few people we could expand the deadline, IMHO (like some years ago)
19:33:17 <tumbleweed> so, the 20th can work
19:33:26 <DLange> if tumbleweed is sucessful in his flowers & chocolate mission we can probably keep 100 / 250 for the whole time and thus keep Fuller etc.
19:33:37 <tumbleweed> the other argument for 20th was to give us a weekend to prod stragglers and run numbers
19:33:44 <DLange> and then we get the extra days before and after the conference instead
19:34:05 <DLange> much less work for all of us and them and probably a very similar monetary value
19:34:06 <cate> DLange: if he fails, will you try it?  But this time with swiss choccolate and swiss flowers
19:34:49 <DLange> cate: if nkukard authorizes the ticket and the swiss shopping to take along :)
19:35:01 <highvoltage> nkukard: action for you ^^^
19:35:03 <tumbleweed> shall we go back to the open weekend topic?
19:35:34 <tumbleweed> #topic Open Weekend
19:35:37 <tumbleweed> indiebio?
19:35:40 <indiebio> yup
19:36:04 <indiebio> uh. Does anyone have burning desires for what should happen during Open Weekend?
19:36:17 <indiebio> Please jot it here: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/DebianDay
19:37:42 <tumbleweed> crickets :P
19:37:44 <DLange> how about an install fest for the local students etc. community?
19:38:06 <indiebio> I need to start marketing and developing the art exhibition, get back on track with the ShowMeBox, rustle up the community to exhibit their stuff (e.g. CLUG, the Python Users group etc etc), and nudge one or more talks, and I'd like those talks to be about the (FLOSS) hardware side of Debian, if anyone has any ideas around that.
19:38:08 <highvoltage> that's probably covered by the clug linux installation assistance bullet?
19:38:11 <moray_> indiebio: if no one has enthuiasm, you might want to notice that several open days rather lacked attendees
19:38:19 <moray_> due to lack of time to advertise them, etc.
19:38:58 <paddatrapper> DLange: Main issue with install for students is most won't be there - it's the middle of the Mid-year vac
19:39:08 <moray_> (I don't think it's a compulsary aspect / can just be some normal talks with a more open access policy and messages to some local mailing lists etc.)
19:39:29 <DLange> we should probably as tamo do do a few dozen posters too, so we can spread them at UCT and a few other strategic places
19:39:33 <indiebio> Debian is also not the most welcoming community, so my initial ideas of having the energy and dynamism of a TEDx event has tanked.
19:40:03 <DLange> paddatrapper: yeah, if they were all there we'd have real issues, if 50-100 come for the day we're all fine
19:40:10 <tamo> DLange: sure I was thinking of Roll - ups or do you mean actual Posters?
19:40:13 <paddatrapper> indiebio: there may be some interest from the local Makers' Group. I can chat to them and find out
19:40:20 <moray_> DLange: one of the most quiet open days was in the middle of a university campus, even with posters etc.
19:40:25 <indiebio> paddatrapper: what an epic name!
19:40:37 <DLange> tamo: this time I meant posters to advertize the open weekend in the local CPT communities
19:40:44 <paddatrapper> indiebio: Haha thanks!
19:40:57 * superfly arrives
19:41:01 <indiebio> yeah, I was thinking getting those types of people involved. really making the emphasis more on the whole maker/hacker/tinkerer community.
19:41:14 <superfly> ohi, sorry I'm late, it's the Mrs' birthday today
19:41:21 <tamo> DLange: ah ok, so how big do you wnat it, as in Traffic viewing or just UCT viewing?
19:41:52 <DLange> tamo: just "date/time/location", "Debian open weekend", "local teams gather", "international celebrity" and a few nice visuals
19:42:04 <DLange> 25 x A1 print or so
19:42:05 <cate> are we olverloading too much tamo and indiebio ?
19:42:18 <moray_> cate: it sounds like it
19:42:34 <DLange> if tumbleweed, indiebio, ginggs, superfly, paddatrapper, dumbassman feel they can distribute and place 25 well
19:42:43 <tamo> DLange: ok, but do we need that for around UCT or to add to poles along the main traffic routes?
19:42:44 <DLange> more or less depending on what they need
19:42:53 <indiebio> we're all pretty overloaded, I would guess.
19:42:56 <moray_> we did declare once before that for an open day to happen/succeed there should be someone who is focused on it and not on other major orga stuff :)
19:42:57 <paddatrapper> Sure. I am on campus all week anyway
19:43:04 <DLange> tamo: UCT, computer clubs etc.
19:43:11 <tamo> cate: I can do it not a problem but others can distribute them
19:43:14 <tumbleweed> moray_: and I think indiebio sees that as her calling
19:43:35 <indiebio> I've been sharing flyers, but I think to get these people on board, we need in person meetings. And I just haven't had the conviction to go to them and say DebConf is awesome.
19:44:12 <tamo> DLange: okidoke becuase if we need it at Robots and roads a whole different ball game, can be done but can get complcated
19:44:12 <DLange> DC15 was awesome and DC16 will be awesome
19:44:23 <indiebio> tumbleweed, moray_: It was the main thing I wanted to be involved in, yes. But I'm certainly not territorial.
19:44:41 <nattie> robots and traffic circles!
19:44:44 <highvoltage> DLange: and so were most debconfs before that even!
19:44:55 <paddatrapper> indiebio: I can get the UCT Developer Society and the Makers Group involved without much issue
19:45:15 <indiebio> great, thanks paddatrapper. you have the flyer link, yes?
19:45:29 <moray_> indiebio: I'm certainly not trying to push you off it, just worried about how many other things are on you
19:45:36 <paddatrapper> Not off hand. Is it on the wiki somewhere?
19:45:47 <indiebio> paddatrapper: if you want to, you can get some printed and claim back from nkukard
19:45:48 <tumbleweed> do we have a flyer? I only know of the sponsorship one
19:46:01 <indiebio> there is a link, but not easy to get to, I did ask for a link from the website ...
19:46:18 <indiebio> yes, the flyer for sponsorship was designed to be dual purpose.
19:46:23 <indiebio> just hang on while I get the link
19:46:26 <DLange> moray_: we burn her out within the next eight weeks and then piece her together with beer and steaks during DebConf. It's all a cunning plan.
19:46:56 <tamo> DLange: can someone give me more edited copy of what exactly you wnat on the posters?
19:47:08 <DLange> http://media.debconf.org/dc16/fundraising/debconf16_sponsorship_flyer.pdf
19:47:15 <indiebio> I'm not burnt out. I'm just *still* annoyed. I lost my belief.
19:47:18 <indiebio> thanks DLange
19:47:28 <indiebio> I don't think we need anything different than that flyer
19:48:04 <DLange> indiebio: and posters?
19:48:17 <paddatrapper> Posters of the first page?
19:48:22 <indiebio> I'd rather get other people's posters up. but it's up to you, of course.
19:48:37 <indiebio> whatever, do what you feel like, and run with it. :)
19:48:48 <indiebio> We've got tons of space to put posters up, so anything goes
19:49:00 <tumbleweed> I'm struggling to follow
19:49:12 <indiebio> we can probably end the meeting, tumbleweed
19:49:40 <tamo> tumbleweed: can we have a meeting on Mon?
19:49:43 <DLange> indiebio: I can't. It needs to adopt page one of the sponsorship flyer to expose more of the planned stuff for open weekend (and put date / time / location on there prominently)
19:49:48 <paddatrapper> I do think a uniform look to the posters, be it based on that flyer or not, should be there...
19:50:09 <tumbleweed> tamo: sure
19:50:14 <tamo> tumbleweed: the suppliers were late in giving what was needed for the Swag and T's etc
19:50:14 <moray_> does anyone know the current budget status, sponsorship vs. expected costs?
19:50:17 <indiebio> well, go for it then. It's not my focus, so please, run with it.
19:50:35 <moray_> tamo: are the t-shirts etc. under control now though?
19:50:38 <DLange> moray_: -$70k roughly
19:50:47 <tamo> moray_: Yes very musch so
19:51:16 <tamo> moray_: just putting all together, with prices and designs which I will finish on Friday
19:51:22 <moray_> tamo: great :)
19:51:26 <DLange> moray_: nkukard will do a budget update tomorrow, he was deep under water yesterday and today
19:51:36 <moray_> DLange: thanks
19:51:46 <cate> tamo: you need to give sponsorship team the deadline for new sponsors logo
19:52:07 <indiebio> #action nattie and indiebio catch up on Fuller, room allocations
19:52:09 <tamo> moray_: if everyone can have  alook at the Options on the weekend and then we chat on Mon about the way forwrad, it would be great
19:52:24 <moray_> tamo: sounds good
19:52:35 <tamo> cate: ooh yes how do I go about that?
19:52:46 <tamo> moray_: :)
19:53:22 <DLange> tamo: you just tell us when the t-shirts / bags will go into print and so we can't add any more logos after that date
19:53:29 <tamo> cate: I was wondering about that today
19:53:52 <DLange> and if we know two weeks in advance we can use that for another sponsors push :)
19:54:16 <tamo> DLange: I have a plan for that for late commers, but if we go with another option I would need that in 1-2 weeks time
19:54:50 <DLange> tamo: think about it and name a date, we'll work towards that then
19:55:16 <tamo> DLange: perfect I will have that as a definate after Mondays meeting
19:55:28 <DLange> great
19:55:33 <tamo> DLange: once we have chosen the Designs and styles
19:55:57 <nattie> tamo: can you fill me in on possible t-shirt colours after the meeting please?
19:56:34 <cate> nattie: shh. don't talk about colors!
19:56:48 <tamo> nattie: a number of options, I will put all up on Friday. Some with an African twist but sticking to the purple and mustard colours
19:56:49 <highvoltage> why bring colour into this!
19:56:52 <madduck> aviau, LeLutin: the fundraising brochure is *always* later and it's really not that much work after all. You might find it useful to have a sprint of dedicated 2 hours and then I bet it'll be mostly done. Just some advice. It'd be really good to have it in time for DC16 and be able to start fundraising straight afterwards.
19:57:09 <tumbleweed> are we done?
19:57:12 * tumbleweed thinks so
19:57:18 <bremner> please!
19:57:20 <tumbleweed> #endmeeting