Started logging meeting in #debconf-video, times are UTC.
[19:03:38] <h01ger> #topic agenda
[19:03:42] <h01ger> anything else to discuss?
[19:03:53] <h01ger> thats:
[19:03:54] <h01ger> remaining fosdem and debconf videos
[19:03:54] <h01ger> debconf8 planning
[19:03:54] <h01ger> hardware aquisitions
[19:03:54] <h01ger> getting hw into .ar
[19:03:54] <h01ger> debconf8 videoteam t-shirts
[19:03:55] <h01ger> a debconf-videoteam talk at debconf8
[19:03:57] <h01ger> any other business
[19:04:14] <p2-mate> ber
[19:04:16] <p2-mate> beer
[19:04:42] * h01ger has whiskey
[19:04:54] * p2-mate doesn't
[19:05:18] <h01ger> #topic remaining fosdem and debconf videos
[19:05:22] * hermanr_ sort of here
[19:05:31] <h01ger> the fosdem videos are done, but needs another round of review
[19:05:45] <xerakko> hi
[19:06:10] <h01ger> hi xerakko, the bits you missed are at
[19:06:15] <xerakko> thanks
[19:06:22] <xerakko> (reading)
[19:06:35] <h01ger> if someone could verify the fosdem videos are correct now, that would be great. (ie, end and beginning, av in sync)
[19:06:53] <h01ger> fancy icons, a fancy index.html and the slides are missing but on my list.
[19:07:08] <xerakko> I'll verify them.
[19:07:11] * h01ger has no idea how far Womble2 got with the debconf7 videos
[19:07:17] <h01ger> xerakko, great!! thank you!
[19:07:27] <xerakko> I'm talking about fosdem videos...
[19:07:41] <des> Womble2 contacted my about the penta interface to handle dc7 videos
[19:07:47] <h01ger> right
[19:07:54] <h01ger> and?
[19:08:04] <des> I'm working on it, and need to see how we'll integrate it upstream
[19:08:30] <des> I'm mostly rewriting everything since penta changed a lot
[19:08:37] * h01ger nods. cool ;)
[19:08:47] <des> But I'd say I'm 80% there
[19:08:53] <h01ger> cause that also means we'll have it for debconf8 :)
[19:09:04] <des> Sure
[19:09:14] <h01ger> so next topic?
[19:09:36] <des> next
[19:09:36] * h01ger still misses Womble2 here, but i also want to finish somewhat earlish today :)
[19:09:46] <h01ger> #topic debconf8 planning
[19:10:02] <h01ger> des, Ganneff: do you know whether it will be one or two bof rooms?
[19:10:07] <Ganneff> no
[19:10:24] <h01ger> ok. fair statement. :)
[19:10:48] <h01ger> des, do you know about getting hw into .ar like i asked on the list? will that work? can you find out?
[19:10:59] <h01ger> else, could shipping in and shipping back work?
[19:11:12] <h01ger> its stuff probably worth 1-3000 euros
[19:11:17] <h01ger> 1000-3000 that is
[19:11:17] <des> Ok, one step at a time
[19:11:23] <h01ger> sure
[19:11:25] <p2-mate> 1 euro ? :)
[19:11:28] <des> about the bof
[19:11:48] <des> We are not sure yet about having 1 or 2 bofs, I'll let you guys know as soon as I know
[19:11:59] * h01ger nods
[19:12:19] <des> regarding getting hw into .ar, I've been asking here and there and reading here and there
[19:12:25] <h01ger> :)
[19:12:35] <des> and it might no be as easy as h01ger think
[19:13:05] <h01ger> hi tassia, the bits you missed are at
[19:13:18] <des> IF I UNDERSTOOD CORRECTLY: There is an maximum amount of equipment you can bring in as personal equipment
[19:13:19] <h01ger> des, thanks a lot for researching this!
[19:13:20] <tassia> h01ger: thanks!
[19:13:41] <des> That's why I need the details about the equipment
[19:13:44] <h01ger> des, do you know where this max is?
[19:13:49] <hermanr_> des: Measured in items or amount?
[19:14:01] <des> hermanr_: estimated U$S amount
[19:14:15] <des> h01ger: I don't recall right now, but it's not much
[19:14:33] <xerakko> 3000? only??
[19:14:37] <xerakko> 3000$ only??
[19:14:56] <des> We are thinking on importing all the needed harware as a temporary import
[19:15:10] <h01ger> xerakko, only A/V hw, not computers. and not highly expensive stuff
[19:15:22] <xerakko> ah! ok
[19:15:23] <h01ger> des, what does temp. import mean? no taxes?
[19:15:32] <h01ger> xerakko, and its only a rough guess too ;)
[19:15:33] <des> This woul allow us to enter the hw and give the guarantee that we'll take it back
[19:15:41] <des> h01ger: almost
[19:15:45] * h01ger nods. that would be perfect
[19:16:09] <h01ger> #topic debconf8 planning - 1 or 2 bofs
[19:16:13] <des> for temporary imports you do need to pay taxes (like 50% of the declared value) but they are refounded
[19:16:31] <h01ger> #idea des will inform us whether there are 1 or 2 bof rooms
[19:16:38] <h01ger> #topic debconf8 planning - getting hw into .ar
[19:16:49] <h01ger> des, that sounds ok
[19:17:01] <des> That is not an option (paying 50%) so we are looking into some insurances that cover the 50% guarantee at a smaller fee
[19:17:02] <h01ger> except that it might take time to get the stuff through customs?
[19:17:16] <p2-mate> normally not if you pay
[19:17:28] <des> p2-mate: exactly
[19:17:35] <h01ger> they might want to investigate if we declared it correctly... or?
[19:17:48] <p2-mate> you should provide proof of purchase (invoice)
[19:18:18] <p2-mate> h01ger: that's not so difficult :)
[19:18:36] <h01ger> well..
[19:18:56] <p2-mate> now, private AV equipment needs declaration as well ?
[19:18:58] <des> No, it shouldn't take long if we hire the service of getting it in along with the appropiate insurance
[19:19:08] <h01ger> anyway.. i think there is not much we can discuss about this now. we have to wait for more results from the localteam, i think
[19:19:49] <des> Again, I'll let you know when I have more details
[19:20:03] <des> p2-mate: AFAIUI yes, you need to declare it
[19:20:08] <h01ger> #action localteam is researching this and will let us know when they have more details. they will also need a list of hw from us.
[19:20:16] <h01ger> next topic?
[19:20:28] <des> next
[19:20:35] <h01ger> #debconf8 videoteam tshirts
[19:20:39] <h01ger> #topic debconf8 videoteam tshirts
[19:20:47] <h01ger> a short topic in between :)
[19:21:17] <h01ger> des, do we already have someone who will print the tshirts and whom we could give a videoteam tshirt design as well? :)
[19:21:27] <h01ger> (that design needs to be done, fwiw)
[19:21:36] <des> h01ger: we have several bugdets and we're working on some more
[19:21:56] <h01ger> but i think it would be a great way of a.) saying thanks to video volunteers and b.) motivating more people to volunteer, so that the team is not as exhausted as last time
[19:22:19] <des> they are comming out quite cheap like U$S6 each doing ~450
[19:22:28] <h01ger> any volunteer to create a debconf8 video team tshirt design?
[19:22:30] * h01ger nods
[19:22:39] <h01ger> and right, we need to get that into the budget too
[19:22:49] <des> feel free to contact me with the design I'll forward it as necesary
[19:23:16] <des> how many video team tshirt would we need?
[19:23:24] <h01ger> 20-40?
[19:23:34] <h01ger> 20minimum, but i really would like to have more
[19:24:08] <xerakko> 20????? uau.... a good team!!!
[19:24:14] <h01ger> i also expect more volunteers, if the crowd knows we'll hand out tshirts. we could say one needs to do two shifts two qualify for one..
[19:24:30] <des> one option that would probably be cheaper is to make it like the 'volunteer' or 'organizer' shirts
[19:24:58] * h01ger wants different tshirts for video people :-D
[19:25:44] <des> I'll mention it in the local team meeting
[19:26:00] <h01ger> #action volunteer for debconf8 videoteam tshirt design wanted
[19:26:08] <des> should it also have sponsors in the back?
[19:26:20] <h01ger> #topic debconf8 setup planning / hw aquisitions
[19:26:42] <h01ger> des, i'd rather say not, but if that has to be done...
[19:26:53] <des> h01ger: ok
[19:27:19] <h01ger> (i probably say the same about the other shirts ;)
[19:27:34] <h01ger> so we'll have two talk rooms and probably two bof rooms
[19:28:20] <h01ger> hermanr_ pointed out these cables which extend firewire to 75ft (and more, but i think 75ft/25m is enough)
[19:28:39] <h01ger> i think we should get two of them, to "minimize" the number of computers we need..
[19:28:52] <h01ger> hi Q_, the bits you missed are at
[19:28:53] <edrz> do we have room dimensions?
[19:29:30] <h01ger> i think 25m is a safe bet for the combination "twinpact slidegrabber" and "audience camera"
[19:29:48] <p2-mate> h01ger: I think we should test 1 first
[19:29:49] * h01ger also would suggest to ask for funds to buy to more twinpacts
[19:30:04] <h01ger> aeh, twinview
[19:30:07] <h01ger> p2-mate, absolutly
[19:30:25] <p2-mate> 25m sounds like far beyond 1394 specs
[19:30:33] <des> 25m should be enough
[19:30:38] <edrz> i thought the limit was 15ft.
[19:31:09] <p2-mate> edrz: 14.8ft :)
[19:32:11] <h01ger> anyway
[19:32:54] <h01ger> what do you think about asking for funds to buy two more twinpacts and three more of those radio mics? then i would also ask for funds for a camera with line-in, but that would be the optinal funding question ;)
[19:33:13] <h01ger> i wonder if we also shoud ask for funds for another one of those behringers..
[19:33:25] * h01ger plans to ask the dpl for debian money
[19:33:31] <edrz> behringer what? mixer?
[19:33:34] <h01ger> (and not use debconf8 money)
[19:33:42] <p2-mate> I would say 1 twinpact and 1 behringer
[19:33:51] <p2-mate> and mics
[19:33:52] <h01ger> behringer 1202, a small mixer, we had at fosdem, which is good for bofs or small venues
[19:33:58] <hermanr_> p2-mate: It isn't really 1394. It's DV. DV violates 1394 blissfully.
[19:34:33] <edrz> hermanr_: have you successfully run dv over > than 15ft cables?
[19:34:43] <edrz> s/than//
[19:34:47] <p2-mate> h01ger: then we can cover both main talk rooms reasonably
[19:35:18] <h01ger> when?
[19:35:20] <h01ger> ah
[19:35:33] * h01ger thinks we should ask for another twinpact still. why not?
[19:35:49] <h01ger> afaik/iirc debian has quite some money unused and we'd bring it to real value
[19:36:09] <hermanr_> edrz: No. That remains to be tested.
[19:36:56] <p2-mate> h01ger: yeah, but maybe get a bigger mixer for the main auditorium
[19:37:03] <p2-mate> h01ger: and budget for flightcases ?
[19:37:32] <h01ger> yes. or the bigger ones, - which would you suggest?
[19:37:37] <h01ger> (flightcases)
[19:37:39] <edrz> did the fosdem room have a PA?
[19:37:43] <h01ger> edrz, no
[19:37:44] <p2-mate> no
[19:37:45] * edrz guesses not.
[19:37:58] <h01ger> PA must be part of the venue
[19:38:02] <h01ger> des, ^
[19:38:05] <edrz> right, so, bigger mixer for rooms with PA systems are probably needed in order to do 2 mixes.
[19:38:17] <des> h01ger: we are planning on that, yes
[19:38:35] <h01ger> edrz, actually the 1202 can do that
[19:38:42] <edrz> aux sends?
[19:38:55] <h01ger> i think so (but as you know i'm no audio pro)
[19:39:31] <des> I'd like to point that we can probably hire much of the stuff
[19:39:53] <h01ger> ok, lets make a few wishlists with reasoning and send that to the dpl and he can decide how much money he can grant?
[19:40:12] <h01ger> des, yes, but then we have to hire that every year, and you cant hire twinviews
[19:40:23] <h01ger> and its also good to have hardware the team knows
[19:40:48] <h01ger> and debian has the money. our former dpl offered quite more than i spent before fosdem..
[19:40:50] <des> h01ger: actually I've been offered something like twinvies in the company we talked to...
[19:40:56] <h01ger> woot
[19:41:17] <des> at least AFAIUI
[19:41:30] <h01ger> what do you other think about spending debian money to buy videoteam hw? is that sensible?
[19:41:41] <h01ger> s/other/others/ or s/other// :)
[19:42:28] <des> Just FTR I do like that idea, I'm only saying that there is the hiring option also
[19:42:30] <p2-mate> twinviews are probably a good idea, as we at know them and we don't risk interop problems
[19:42:39] <p2-mate> s/at//
[19:42:50] <hermanr_> twinviews?
[19:42:56] <hermanr_> Not Twinpacts?
[19:43:06] <p2-mate> s/twinviews/Twinpacts/ :)
[19:43:13] <h01ger> those vga2dv boxes :)
[19:43:15] <p2-mate> h01ger confused me :)
[19:43:20] <p2-mate> yes those :)
[19:43:28] <des> yeah, those
[19:43:47] <p2-mate> I guess we are more likely to run into interop issues with DV stuff then with analog audio equipment
[19:43:49] <h01ger> and those radio mics were also useful, imo
[19:43:59] * h01ger nods p2-mate
[19:44:14] <h01ger> but those radio mics worked well with untrained humans
[19:44:29] <h01ger> which is "something" else which causes probs
[19:44:41] <h01ger> clip mics or hand mics dont work that well
[19:44:50] <hermanr_> Is PAL S-video and DV exactly the same in Argentina as in Europe?
[19:45:10] * h01ger roles eyes. hopefully :)
[19:45:44] <hermanr_> Analog PAL can have surprises. DV should be universal.
[19:46:03] <hermanr_> Or is the Twinpack multi-standard?
[19:46:06] <p2-mate> .br has a weird PAL variant for example
[19:46:30] <hermanr_> Brazil has 60Hz PAL, AFAIK. But this is Argentina.
[19:46:32] <p2-mate> twinpact takes VGA so that should not be an issue
[19:46:38] <hermanr_> Argentina have 50Hz PAL.
[19:47:03] <h01ger> re, flightcases: which one would you suggest: or the bigger ones, ?
[19:47:34] <p2-mate> bigger one I would say
[19:47:42] <p2-mate> so we can fit some extra stuff in
[19:48:04] <h01ger> its also heavier
[19:48:55] <p2-mate> 2 kg
[19:50:32] <h01ger> ok. i'll write up some wishlists which we then can present Sledge. before that i'll ask you for comments. ok?
[19:50:52] <p2-mate> 5 euro difference
[19:51:04] <p2-mate> and 15 cm wider
[19:51:12] <p2-mate> I would go for the 2nd one
[19:51:31] * h01ger nods
[19:52:40] <h01ger> next topic?
[19:54:14] <xerakko> the debconf-videoteam talk at debconf8
[19:54:29] <hermanr_> Oh, that...
[19:54:41] <h01ger> #topic debconf8 videoteam talk
[19:54:48] <hermanr_> Has anoyone else made additions to what I wrote?
[19:54:58] * h01ger hasnt.
[19:55:00] * hermanr_ sure hasn't.
[19:55:03] <xerakko> I didn't sow it...
[19:55:16] <hermanr_> It's all in Pentabarf
[19:56:18] <tassia> I also didnt see
[19:56:33] * hermanr_ scrambles to find URL
[19:58:03] <tassia> you can find it here
[19:58:05] <tassia>
[19:59:01] <hermanr_> tassia: tnx
[19:59:05] <hermanr_> "the Debian Videoteam -- Behind the Scenes"
[19:59:10] <hermanr_> It's there.
[20:00:38] <h01ger> #link
[20:00:53] <xerakko> reading...
[20:00:57] <h01ger> stupid meetbot doesnt recognize https, only http
[20:01:12] <hermanr_> h01ger: It's in the videoteam's SVN, too.
[20:01:26] <hermanr_> ...minus a few alterations.
[20:01:50] * h01ger nods
[20:01:57] <hermanr_> h01ger: What is the videoteam's SVN, btw? (URL)
[20:02:04] <h01ger> but i was too busy+ill to even think of it
[20:02:13] * h01ger looks
[20:02:36] <edrz> is that the debconf-video on alioth, or something else?
[20:02:41] <Ganneff> tsts, fix the bot
[20:02:56] <h01ger> #link svn://
[20:02:58] <h01ger> #link svn://
[20:03:03] <h01ger> Ganneff, send patches, please :)
[20:03:06] <Ganneff> no
[20:03:34] <h01ger> are we done with this topic?
[20:03:46] <h01ger> we need to work on the talk, but thats obvious. and will happen along the way
[20:03:51] <hermanr_>
[20:04:37] <hermanr_> <-- Debconf-video
[20:05:44] <hermanr_> Part of the talk is a live demo. We probably need a few extra people for that.
[20:06:28] <h01ger> h01ger: ok, but my point is: I have a group of volunteers who have agreed to work 5/6 hours per day each.
[20:06:38] <h01ger> We currently have 55 volunteers in the DB, 34 of them from .ar
[20:06:57] <h01ger> seems that we will get some help :)
[20:07:35] <hermanr_> Fine.
[20:07:40] <h01ger> #topic any other business?
[20:07:59] <edrz> next meeting?
[20:08:10] <h01ger> good catch :)
[20:08:16] <h01ger> in three weeks? 4?
[20:08:20] <tassia> just one question
[20:08:32] <tassia> still for this meeting
[20:08:33] <tassia> when do you guys plan to arrive in mar del plata?
[20:09:00] <hermanr_> For which values of "you guys"?
[20:09:02] <hermanr_> ;-)
[20:09:10] * h01ger probably a day before debcamp or so
[20:09:18] * edrz arrives friday before debcamp
[20:09:23] <tassia> I mean, the video team :)
[20:09:27] * xerakko a day before debconf
[20:09:44] * hermanr_ before or during Debcamp
[20:10:00] <WombleToo> Aaargh, sorry, I let my PDA battery run down
[20:10:09] <h01ger> hi WombleToo, the bits you missed are at
[20:10:16] <tassia> ok, so I will also try to arrive during debcamp
[20:10:16] <h01ger> WombleToo, arg! ;)
[20:10:28] <h01ger> tassia, great!
[20:10:50] <hermanr_> tassia: Have you taken on some roles?
[20:11:03] <h01ger> when shall we have the next meetin?
[20:11:20] <tassia> hermanr_: what do you mean?
[20:11:21] <h01ger> may 20th, 21 utc?
[20:11:31] <WombleToo> I did some work on DebConf 7 videos but then got blocked by the lack of the management interface
[20:11:50] <hermanr_> tassia: Good question... Have you anything particulary in mind, I meant.
[20:12:03] <WombleToo> I could try importing them with manual SQL but it's icky
[20:12:39] <trebol6> ill be in mar de la plata the 9 aug 15:00
[20:12:41] <des> Womble2: as I said, I'm working on it and should be ready rsn :)
[20:12:46] <WombleToo> des: Thanks
[20:12:47] <h01ger> WombleToo, i think it doesnt matter a few weeks anymore. better work on dvswitch ;)
[20:12:58] <hermanr_> tassia: Never mind. Getting there at the same time as the others seem like the right thing. :-)
[20:12:59] <WombleToo> h01ger: Yes that's what I thought
[20:13:21] <h01ger> and that work is really cool! /me is still smiling
[20:13:46] <h01ger> hope it works in RL too! ;)
[20:13:52] <WombleToo> You tried picture-in-picture?
[20:13:57] <h01ger> not yet
[20:14:05] <WombleToo> Because that does look cool when it works
[20:14:11] <h01ger> WombleToo, did you get more feedback on your protocol design?
[20:14:22] <h01ger> like from p2-mate
[20:14:25] <WombleToo> I got some links which I need to follow up
[20:14:34] <xerakko> I can't get it working yet (It seems that I need a little Xorg configuration)
[20:14:48] <h01ger> because the consequences of that also look very promising
[20:15:25] <h01ger> xerakko, dont hesitate to ask / share..
[20:15:36] <xerakko> thnks :)
[20:15:53] <h01ger> #topic next meeting, when?
[20:15:57] <h01ger> tuesday, may 20th, 21 utc?
[20:16:44] * edrz searches for callendar
[20:17:01] <hermanr_> That's kinda late here in the old world.
[20:17:07] <xerakko> yes...
[20:17:17] <xerakko> better as today (19 utc)
[20:17:21] <p2-mate> 21 utc ?
[20:17:28] <p2-mate> that would be midnight eest
[20:17:29] <p2-mate> hmm
[20:18:42] <hermanr_> But DC8 is in the new world, sooo...
[20:19:44] <edrz> 20th may works for me. i don't care what time.
[20:20:24] <tassia> hermanr_: I will probably get there before debconf to work with the brazilian CDD team, but I will be also available for video team stuff
[20:21:44] <hermanr_> tassia: Swell
[20:21:54] <tassia> 19 utc is ok for me
[20:22:01] <edrz> des?
[20:22:15] <h01ger> aeh, i ment 19 utc
[20:22:16] <des> any date/time will do for me
[20:22:37] <h01ger> so, #agreed tuesday, may 20th, 19 utc?
[20:22:41] <WombleToo> OK
[20:22:48] <trebol6> ok
[20:22:55] <edrz> yep
[20:23:03] <xerakko> ok
[20:23:08] <hermanr_> fine
[20:23:20] <h01ger> #agreed tuesday, may 20th, 19 utc
[20:23:33] <h01ger> thank you all for the meeting! (even though we again didnt manage 60min ;)
[20:23:36] <h01ger> #endmeeting

Meeting ended.

Information on meetbot is available at