18:04:51 <franklin> #startmeeting
18:04:51 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Jul  1 18:04:51 2015 UTC.  The chair is franklin. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:04:51 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:04:59 <franklin> #chair h01ger edrz wouter tumbleweed
18:04:59 <MeetBot> Current chairs: edrz franklin h01ger tumbleweed wouter
18:05:04 <franklin> #topic Introduction round
18:05:10 <franklin> Who are you? Experience? Which software stack? DebConf "Privileges"? Your plans?
18:06:02 * tvaz ~back
18:06:10 <tvaz> tassia is coming
18:06:13 <wouter> have been doing fosdem video for a few years, was maintainer of dvswitch until I threw in the towel
18:06:20 <wouter> (but I think you knew that ;-)
18:06:31 * h01ger sorta waves but also probably will go afk in 3min
18:06:52 <tumbleweed> Stefano Rivera. DD for several years, pythonista and opsy-person, Video Team since DC11. Hosting DC16.
18:07:03 <tvaz> tvaz is tiago, old ex team member
18:07:21 <h01ger> i'm sorry, etootired…
18:07:22 <cate> cate, only as video-team volunteers [dc10,dc12,dc13] [camera, director], access to some debconf machines.
18:07:24 <jathan> Hello.
18:07:48 * urbec mostly dvswitch and penta style review
18:08:01 * franklin has been involved in Videoteam since DC8 I  thing. initially to handle the camera/DVswitch, then helped for setup. I have commit right on videoteam repo, and I'm alioth admin. I am not DD, I don't know much about audio, the software stack.
18:08:04 <franklin> I am planning to help for setup (arriving for DebCamp). then for the actual conference.
18:08:26 <wouter> I arrive for debcamp too
18:08:26 * tassia old team member, I'm here to help the setup of the team, probably won't be available during the conference
18:08:35 <wouter> haven't decided yet whether I'll help. Will depend on needs
18:08:38 <tumbleweed> I will be there for debcamp, too
18:09:07 * urbec might help at setup
18:09:15 <jathan> I will participate as volunteer in VideoTeam and also since DebCamp I can help for setup.
18:09:18 <tvaz> I'll give some help as well for dc16 video
18:09:25 <tumbleweed> \o/
18:09:52 <tvaz> dc15 i mean, which doens't exclude dc15 :)
18:09:56 <tvaz> 16
18:09:58 <tvaz> oh my
18:10:03 <tvaz> i got it
18:10:06 <tvaz> you
18:10:07 <tvaz> shit
18:10:12 <franklin> maxy, RichiH CarlFK , what about you?
18:11:01 <franklin> h01ger, bevevolant dictator  this year ?
18:11:18 <wouter> I think he's already announced he wasn't going to do that
18:11:28 <CarlFK> mostly lurking.  have been doing videos with dvswitch about 5 years.  I think there are about 2000 produced that I was involved with
18:11:55 <franklin> #topic Who is in touch with orga-team?
18:11:59 <franklin> What has been discussed / should be discussed?
18:12:51 <cate> I'm in orga team, and I think there should be one or two from "content" team, for coordination
18:12:56 <tumbleweed> RichiH and I (shadow) lead the infra team. But we never really got the team rolling
18:13:06 <cate> maxy: ^^
18:13:20 <cate> and jathan ^^
18:13:50 <tassia> we could start talking about the gear
18:14:00 <franklin> #info there should be one or two from "content" team, for coordination
18:14:02 <jathan> Yes
18:14:05 <tassia> where it is and what is the plan to bring it to heidelberg
18:14:14 <franklin> #topic Hardware
18:14:21 <franklin> Two subjects to address: What we have/where is it? then What we need?
18:14:24 <franklin> What we have/where is it? (https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/HardwareInventory ?)
18:14:40 <wouter> most of it is in Paris, I presume?
18:14:45 <tumbleweed> I've never really known, but I presume too
18:14:55 <tumbleweed> And I think h01ger usually brings some of his own things?
18:14:59 <wouter> I can pick up one or two items from FOSDEM, and put them in my car
18:15:05 <cate> and some old list that shoudl be also updated https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DSA/non-DSA-HW
18:15:12 <wouter> mostly things like twinpacts
18:15:22 <wouter> (FOSDEM still has them, doesn't use them anymore)
18:15:35 <franklin> #info Hardware seems to be in paris
18:15:50 <franklin> #info wouter can bring some FOSDEM stuffs
18:15:51 <tumbleweed> to really discuss that, we need to talk about the stack we're going to use
18:16:10 <tassia> what are the options?
18:16:11 <tumbleweed> I assume dvswitch + twinpacts, because it's too late to switch to something else
18:16:12 <wouter> I think for this year, it's way too late to switch to a different stack
18:16:24 <tumbleweed> but we really need to play with some new things at debconf
18:16:28 <tumbleweed> or we'll never switch to anything else
18:16:29 <wouter> yeah
18:16:47 <tumbleweed> OR we need to have an in-person sprint
18:16:50 <wouter> I can talk to the FOSDEM team and maybe bring one of their BlackMagic thingies
18:16:57 <tumbleweed> which we talked about but never made a decision on...
18:17:16 <wouter> FOSDEM bought 25 or so of those, but they're planning all kinds of weird things involving banana pies etc
18:17:23 <tassia> is there still time for such a in person meeting?
18:17:32 <wouter> I don't think so
18:17:32 <tumbleweed> tassia: not before this dc, I think
18:17:47 <wouter> we can play at debconf with gear, though
18:18:10 <tumbleweed> what was the last stable dvswitch we used? Our repo on wheezy?
18:18:18 <franklin> Shall we discuss the software stack now, and come back to the hardware later ?
18:18:32 <tumbleweed> dc14 used CarlFK's stuff that was a mix of ubuntus and custom-built stuff
18:18:34 <wouter> I think the two are related :)
18:18:54 <franklin> #topic Software stack and related hardware
18:19:38 * nattie waves belatedly
18:19:50 <franklin> Intro for newbies (if anyone read the logs): The software stack typically address: live production, managing volunteer shifts, review, encoding/publishing. We also pull data from DebConf schedule.
18:20:08 <CarlFK> mithro will be at DC15 with the new fpga based hdmi capture board
18:20:17 <franklin> Is there some part of the stack which are already decided ?
18:20:32 <tumbleweed> CarlFK: are you actually using that yet? You had a demo one at dc14 that didn't seem usable, yet.
18:20:47 * MadameZou back
18:20:57 <franklin> #save
18:21:10 <cate> I'm working on the managing volunteers, porting the fosdem-volunteer
18:21:23 <wouter> I think all this talk about future gear is not very useful for *this* dc15 (and hence this meeting)
18:21:58 <tvaz> wouter++
18:22:02 <CarlFK> I am not.  currently it fails about 20% of the time to send a good EDID to the presenters laptop.   result is the presenters laptop doesn't know what sort of device is plugged into it's  hdmi port, and so sending video to it fails.
18:22:16 <CarlFK> wouter ++
18:22:35 <tumbleweed> fair point. But if we're going to actually get a feel for new equipment, we may want a room using it
18:22:42 <cate> could we use new stack in one room, as preparation for next year?
18:22:46 <wouter> tumbleweed: no, I don't think that's a good idea
18:22:53 <tumbleweed> wouter: not a primary room - a bof room
18:22:54 <wouter> we should bring the gear, and play with it in the evening
18:23:06 <wouter> use our tried-and-tested stack in the rooms where we actually want to record things
18:23:11 <tumbleweed> absolutely
18:23:13 <MadameZou> (also, just ftr my presentation: team member from a couple of debconfs and miniconfs, available for grunt work :) [camera, director, audio], some reviewing experience, subtitling experience, will be there for camp and conf]
18:23:52 <tvaz> so a debcamp sprint for videoteam or something
18:23:58 <wouter> tumbleweed: I think it's fine if we break down a room for an evening, hook up the cameras to the new playthings, test, and then hook it back up to the old gear
18:24:03 <tumbleweed> wouter: part of the reason we're so disorganised this year is that we all know we have to move from dvswitch, but we can't yet
18:24:10 <wouter> so that things work again
18:24:29 <wouter> Yes. We need to do that long-term. Short term, dvswitch Just Works(tm)
18:24:31 <wouter> mostly
18:24:32 <tumbleweed> that is fine, but it wouldn't give me the confidence to rely on it in the next year
18:24:49 <wouter> I don't want to rely on it next year either
18:24:52 <tassia> tumbleweed, we could have a sprint just after dc15?
18:25:11 <tumbleweed> that's normally a fairly high burnout time :)
18:25:14 <tumbleweed> but yes
18:25:17 <tassia> I'm just afraid that we don't have thing ready for dc15 if we start testing new solutions before
18:25:45 <tumbleweed> tassia: I think we're all agreed that we don't want to be relying on anything new for dc15 - we just aren't ready for that
18:25:50 <wouter> yeah
18:26:01 <wouter> I think we should bring the gear with the expectation that maybe it will be for nothing
18:26:08 <tumbleweed> well, we'll probably be using a new encoding pipleline and volunteer system
18:26:13 <tumbleweed> but those are non-critical
18:26:15 <CarlFK> I don't think much about trying new things needs to be planned in a meeting like this.  at most a list of things that will likely show up so people can investigate if they are bored.
18:26:19 <wouter> but if we do find the time to play with those things and maybe have a video team bof where we can play with it, why not?
18:26:24 <franklin> #agreed we don't want to be relying on anything new for dc15 - we just aren't ready for that
18:26:37 <wouter> CarlFK: exactly
18:26:47 <wouter> what('s important is how to get the gear in Heidelberg
18:26:51 <wouter> s/(//
18:27:01 <tvaz> tumbleweed, i think she meant a risk of not having the regular setup ready for dc15 once we spend time trying new stuff during debcamp
18:27:02 <wouter> who is in Paris and could bring stuff?
18:27:03 <tumbleweed> if we have the option to get a couple of extra HDMI cameras + a mixer etc. for playing with, we should
18:27:08 <tumbleweed> that's the only reason I'm harping on about this
18:27:25 <tassia> sure, when the minimum setup is ready, we can open a playground room
18:27:35 <tumbleweed> but we have to plan ahead, if we're going to have extra hardware
18:27:50 <jathan> Sorry for not talk too much. I need to follow you first in the context and being getting involved with the arising stuff.
18:28:15 <jathan> But I will be here and in mailing lists
18:28:34 <tassia> tumbleweed, so bring the extra hardware
18:28:57 <tassia> would we need to buy new stuff for those tests?
18:29:00 <tumbleweed> wouter: yeah, try get that capture thing
18:29:08 <tumbleweed> tassia: I'd hope not
18:29:22 <tumbleweed> back to: < wouter> who is in Paris and could bring stuff?
18:29:40 <tassia> franklin?
18:29:41 <cate> someone in -team wrote about it. We need to ping them again
18:29:42 <CarlFK> $shiping company inc.
18:29:56 <franklin> tumbleweed, I'm in Paris, but i planned to go by plane :-(
18:30:00 <tvaz> is there already any 'new video gear 2.0' wiki page around?
18:30:03 <wouter> CarlFK: that's of course always possible, but it's preferable if we don't need to do that
18:30:10 <tumbleweed> tvaz: nope
18:30:27 <cate> People from paris come with many cars, so I don't think it is a problem. We need only to coordinate, maybe a mail in -team?
18:30:35 <tvaz> let's organize one then, and so back to real video situation topic for dc15 :)
18:30:38 <CarlFK> I would plan and budget for it.  it is easy to change at the last minute if you find someone to take advantage of :p
18:31:20 <tumbleweed> the budget is already quite far advance. We've been tardy in telling them our needs :(
18:31:23 <tumbleweed> *advanced
18:31:39 <wouter> yes, okay so
18:32:07 <wouter> I suggest we appoint one person to deal with that: talk to "people in paris", see who's coming and could bring stuff, see what's missing, organize shipping
18:32:25 <wouter> oterhwise we're going to be discussing this on this channel in circles with no appreciable progress
18:32:35 <tumbleweed> I see we have €5k budgeted for us, but I think we are supposed ot use less
18:32:38 <wouter> any takers? ;-)
18:32:55 <wouter> tumbleweed: yes, that's absolutely the case
18:33:03 <cate> I can do it, if nobody of core team would make it
18:33:20 <cate> we have other things in paris (hopefully) for front desk
18:33:38 <wouter> cate: thanks!
18:33:39 <tassia> thanks cate
18:33:52 <franklin> #action cate will find volunteers to bring the hardware from Paris
18:34:07 <tumbleweed> should we try to audit what we have in paris?
18:34:10 <jathan> My flight will take me to Paris first in Charles de Gaulle airport during the first days of August, before August 5, so I can help if you want with something.
18:34:23 <franklin> wouter, I guess you can bring the stuff from FOSDEM?:-)
18:34:29 <tumbleweed> I've never been involved in pre-dc shipping plans. I don't know who knows what :(
18:34:42 <wouter> franklin: I'll talk to them, yes. It's not at my place anymore (used to be), but it shouldn't be an issue
18:34:46 <tvaz> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/VideoTeam/NewGear
18:34:51 <cate> jathan: with flights is a lot more complex
18:34:54 <jathan> I can coordinate with someone and help to carry things to Heidelberg.
18:34:57 <wouter> especially bringing the twinpacts should be a non-issue, since fosdem is done with those
18:34:57 <tassia> do we know how many rooms we can handle with that hardware?
18:35:03 <tvaz> franklin, please tag info https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/VideoTeam/NewGear
18:35:12 <franklin> #info https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/VideoTeam/NewGear
18:35:31 <tumbleweed> realted https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/Hardware and https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/HardwareInventory
18:35:51 <franklin> #info also https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/Hardware and https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/HardwareInventory
18:35:58 <jathan> Yes, I only will arrive by plane from Mexico to France and from here maybe I will take a train or go by car withsomeone if it is possible.
18:36:11 <tassia> tumbleweed, do you know how many rooms we can handle with that hardware?
18:36:22 <tumbleweed> tassia: usually 2
18:36:30 <tumbleweed> 2 big cameras, 2 small cameras, 2 twinpacts
18:36:32 <franklin> Do we need more hardware? (typically what h01ger used to bring)
18:36:39 <tumbleweed> and IIRC we have 1 mixer, and 1 h01ger mixer, usually
18:36:47 <tassia> I think people are expecting more
18:36:56 <wouter> fosdem used to rent mixers for €15/weekend
18:37:01 <wouter> I don't think that's a problem
18:37:08 <cate> should we ask what material is available on the venue? Do you have something specific to ask?
18:37:14 <cate> I mean mainly audio
18:37:21 <tumbleweed> we often hire some audio equipment, yes
18:37:30 <tumbleweed> and we often use venue mixers, with varying success
18:37:30 <wouter> cate: good point
18:38:18 <franklin> h01ger, Will you be able to bring some of your stuff?
18:38:25 <tumbleweed> who is close to the venue? IIRC RichiH might be?
18:38:44 <franklin> #help we should ask what material is available on the venue
18:38:53 <wouter> there's one DD in Heidelberg
18:39:00 <wouter> I slept at his place last year :)
18:39:07 <wouter> mario... something
18:39:10 * wouter and names... bad combination
18:39:26 <cate> DLange: could you take care about this? ^^
18:40:00 <franklin> #nick DLange
18:40:08 <tumbleweed> I'd imagine the venue can also suggest a local equipment hire place
18:40:47 * nattie can look at this, too, if it helps
18:41:05 <nattie> i see a camera rental place in Mannheim, for one
18:41:33 <CarlFK> hiring DV cameras is getting 'hard'
18:41:36 <cate> nattie: let's talk also with local people
18:41:57 <franklin> #action DLange check the Audio stuffs available for the conference
18:42:09 <franklin> #action franklin make sure DLange accept the task!
18:42:36 <wouter> franklin: better not to assign tasks to someone who isn't active :)
18:42:37 <tumbleweed> tassia: who must we talk to about room coverage?
18:42:58 <tumbleweed> I mean, I don't think we can promise more than 2, unless we find cameras for hire
18:43:05 <tumbleweed> and laptops, with firewire
18:43:08 <tumbleweed> not easy :/
18:43:53 <cate> Let's plan for 2, then if we get materials...
18:43:58 <tassia> I think maxy sent a message some days ago
18:44:01 <franklin> wouter, I agree. If DLange can't do/don't want to handle that, I'll come back to  the list
18:44:46 <tassia> tumbleweed, but it was a request from the content team
18:44:55 <franklin> Could we discuss the extra room later, and make sure we have all the hardware for those two rooms ?
18:45:00 <wouter> franklin++
18:45:09 <tumbleweed> yes
18:45:16 <cate> BTW there is also an other logistic problem.
18:45:50 <cate> plenary room is small, so local team want that video team stream plenaries also in other rooms
18:46:13 <cate> but this we can discuss later.  And after getting the blueprints
18:46:32 <wouter> cate: that should be easy
18:46:46 <wouter> we already stream, that only needs a laptop or something hooked up to a projector
18:47:20 <tumbleweed> yeah. It just requires higher reliability than we often get in the first few days
18:47:27 <cate> really they want also video coverage from questions from such rooms, but I don't think it is easy feasible
18:47:32 <franklin> #idea local team want that video team stream plenaries also in other rooms ( plenary room is small)
18:47:57 <tumbleweed> cate: that's not impossible, but I wouldn't promise it
18:48:14 <wouter> if we have an extra camera, it should be feasible
18:48:17 <franklin> people in other room could use IRC (not really nice, I know)
18:48:17 <cate> But I think the priorities now are to setup the video team/stack/hardware
18:48:19 <wouter> and an extra laptop
18:48:20 <wouter> yeah
18:48:23 <tumbleweed> audio would be a bit painful
18:48:36 <franklin> cate++
18:48:36 <wouter> tumbleweed: mm. Audio isn't my strong suit. Maybe.
18:48:47 <wouter> cate: dvswitch works fine on wheezy, but is broken on jessie
18:48:53 <wouter> so we should make sure the laptops run wheezy
18:49:00 <wouter> since they're ooolld, that shouldn't be a problem
18:49:04 <tumbleweed> :P
18:49:13 <jathan> I can cover that
18:49:14 <wouter> I can maybe also bring a few other laptops, but no promises there
18:49:21 <franklin> #info  dvswitch works fine on wheezy, but is broken on jessie
18:49:24 <tumbleweed> yes, we should always bring a few spares
18:49:55 <jathan> I can help checking the Debian version in that laps and install Wheezy in the missing ones
18:50:06 <jathan> With others or only me
18:50:06 <tvaz> anybody willing to on the FAI stuff for dc15?
18:50:13 <tumbleweed> jathan: we have automated tools for bootstrapping the machines
18:50:21 <jathan> Ah ok
18:50:22 <tumbleweed> FAI
18:50:27 <wouter> CarlFK: do you remember well enough how h01ger's FAI stuff worked for FOSDEM '14?
18:50:32 <franklin> tvaz, I can help
18:50:33 <tumbleweed> I do
18:50:40 <tumbleweed> I did a lot of work on FAI at dc13
18:50:43 <jathan> tumbleweed: Thanks.
18:50:52 <CarlFK> wouter: I never was able to get h01ger's FAI stuff working at home
18:51:05 <tvaz> tumbleweed, cool then, i did it once but i'm not too familiar
18:51:06 <wouter> CarlFK: okay, so it falls to tumbleweed then -- I have pretty much the same issue as you :)
18:51:13 <tvaz> franklin, cool aussi
18:51:28 <tumbleweed> what we never FAIed is the h.264 streams
18:51:44 <wouter> we did h.264 streams?
18:51:53 <tumbleweed> for the last 2 DCs, yes.
18:52:03 <wouter> interesting. Never noticed.
18:52:14 <CarlFK> I do have a pretty hardened pxe/preseed install process, complete with an install.sh to boot strap the pxe server   https://github.com/CarlFK/veyepar/blob/master/setup/nodes/pxe/install.sh
18:52:15 <wouter> We *could* also switch to flumotion.
18:52:22 <wouter> I used that a few times for FOSDEM, and it worked well
18:52:33 <wouter> this may have had something to do with the fact that flumotion sponsored FOSDEM though
18:52:43 <wouter> and they sent someone over to keep an eye on things
18:52:52 <wouter> so when things broke, it never was brought to my attention
18:52:54 <CarlFK> I used flmotion at dc14
18:53:38 <franklin> I can update FAI to install the laptop with dvswith for DC15
18:54:28 <franklin> I need help for : H264 and a DD wither privileges for UD
18:54:31 <tumbleweed> I'll commit to doing some work on FAI before DC15, too. And try to get the h.264 stuff set up in advance, this time (rather than during DC)
18:55:15 <tassia> great
18:56:20 <tumbleweed> #action tumbleweed and franklin to hack on FAI
18:56:23 <tumbleweed> what else do we need to talk about?
18:56:39 <tvaz> next topic (?)
18:57:00 <franklin> Can wee agree on the various software we use?
18:57:19 <tassia> please
18:57:22 <franklin> live production?
18:57:35 <franklin> managing volunteer shifts?
18:57:39 <franklin> review?
18:57:48 <franklin> encoding/publishing?
18:57:59 <wouter> live production is going to be dvswitch, we already agreed on that
18:58:01 <tumbleweed> live production: dvswitch
18:58:13 <franklin> #agreed live production: dvswitch
18:58:16 <wouter> volunteer shifts, I think cate said he was going to look at the fosdem volunteer thingy
18:58:19 <tumbleweed> streaming: icecast, cubemap
18:58:24 <wouter> cate: ^^ did I get that right?
18:58:27 <CarlFK> how are you managing the dvswitch clients?
18:58:32 <cate> yes.
18:58:41 <tumbleweed> CarlFK: eh?
18:58:49 <tumbleweed> cate: do you need help on that?
18:58:52 <CarlFK> tumbleweed: what starts dvsouce-firewire ?
18:58:53 <wouter> #agreed cate will look at fosdem volunteer app
18:59:03 <wouter> CarlFK: the x session on the dvswitch laptop
18:59:08 <franklin> #agreed volunteer shifts: use Cate's new tool
18:59:10 <tumbleweed> CarlFK: our FAI thing does all of that from xsession. I'm tempted to use your python thing, though
18:59:30 <cate> franklin: it is not my tools. I just deploying for testing into our debconf tools
18:59:58 <wouter> franklin: that's what I said :)
19:00:01 <cate> the tools is coded by Nighty of FOSDEM
19:00:06 <CarlFK> https://github.com/CarlFK/dvsmon  <- python thing
19:00:08 <wouter> cate: Juan Rial, fwiw
19:00:21 <wouter> and MarkVDB, too
19:00:30 <wouter> details
19:00:39 <wouter> review: we can't reuse the penta thing
19:00:48 <franklin> wouter, Yes I'm talking to MeetBot
19:00:56 <wouter> franklin: my point was, so did I :)
19:01:03 <wouter> you made me chair, so that gets recorded
19:01:07 <franklin> ok
19:01:23 <tvaz> cate, please add that on https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/VideoTeam/NewGear
19:01:37 <franklin> #chair tvaz
19:01:37 <MeetBot> Current chairs: edrz franklin h01ger tumbleweed tvaz wouter
19:01:42 <tumbleweed> tvaz: I think that's orgogonal
19:01:49 <wouter> I understand CarlFK's review thing was used for dc14
19:01:52 <wouter> how well did that go?
19:02:05 <wouter> it was used for FOSDEM14 as well, not entirely without issues
19:02:15 <tumbleweed> it relied on him putting in a lot of post-conference work to get the videos done
19:02:24 <wouter> (I guess I'm mostly asking whether it's a good idea to do that again)
19:02:29 <tumbleweed> historically, we've always tried to do it before the end of teardown
19:02:39 <wouter> yes, that was the main problem with FOSDEM, too
19:02:41 <CarlFK> um.. i didn't do much at all.  nattie did ;)
19:02:46 <tumbleweed> :)
19:02:47 <wouter> well, yeah
19:02:56 <wouter> the main problem was that "loads of work" needed to be done post-conf
19:03:11 <wouter> which was one of the reasons why FOSDEM14 was a big fail, video-wise
19:03:29 <tassia> reviewing on site is a plus for me
19:03:42 <tassia> quality assurance
19:03:50 <wouter> CarlFK: are you confident that you'll be able to set up things so that people can review (in the evening) what has been recorded that same day?
19:03:53 <nattie> i think reviewing on site works if you can get people to commit to it
19:03:55 <wouter> if not, I think veyepar is a no-go for me
19:04:04 <nattie> which if you do it straight away is pretty painless
19:04:49 <nattie> or, you know, as close to straight away as possible
19:04:50 <tumbleweed> the thing is that if we don't manage that. Trying to get anyone to do anything in the month or two after DC is hard. They're all exhausted
19:04:53 <tumbleweed> except apparently nattie :)
19:04:58 <CarlFK> wouter: yes, given the same requirements of any review system:  mainly the reviewers need some sort of access to the files
19:05:09 <nattie> tumbleweed: oh, i was exhausted
19:05:35 <wouter> CarlFK: have you ever seen debconf's penta video thing?
19:05:45 <wouter> basically the way there is that it tries to do as little as possible
19:05:54 <franklin> #save
19:06:09 <wouter> you NFS-mount things, claim files on a webinterface, and then (on the same webinterface) categorize those files
19:06:20 <wouter> as "junk", "talk X", "badly recorded talk X", etc
19:06:29 <CarlFK> wouter: a little at dc10 and it looked like more work that veyepar
19:06:38 <tumbleweed> veyepar is even simpler to use, in that you review from a <video> tag in a web page
19:06:49 <CarlFK> you NFS-mount things <- typically that's where things get wonky
19:06:53 <tumbleweed> but getting logins out to volunteers last year seemed to be sticking point
19:07:11 <wouter> CarlFK: matter of opinion
19:07:28 <wouter> anyway. It should be a case where we can say "here's something, go do it"
19:07:41 <wouter> if people need to log in and create an account and other things, that's too much work
19:07:57 <highvoltage> o/
19:08:04 <tumbleweed> CarlFK: how easy is ingesting video and schedules in veyepar?
19:08:06 <wouter> if you can get that done with veyepar, then I'm happy with it
19:08:14 <CarlFK> ingesting video?
19:08:25 <wouter> "here's some files, make them available"
19:08:58 <highvoltage> (sorry for being late, I did some camera work at DC12 and happy to do so again along with any other dirty work required)
19:09:09 <nattie> hi, voltage!
19:09:11 <wouter> penta review thing doesn't preprocess files, which means they're ready for review the moment inotify notices there's files and creates database entries
19:09:12 <nattie> (it never gets old)
19:09:18 <highvoltage> (indeed :p)
19:09:43 * nattie looks forward to getting to do that in person so you can finally hear what it actually sounds like
19:09:46 <wouter> (not saying it's bad that veyepar tries to do more, as long as it doesn't get in the way)
19:10:02 <highvoltage> nattie: i've heared that plenty of times in real life, although not from you yet :)
19:10:21 <nattie> highvoltage: once heard, never forgotten...
19:10:45 <CarlFK> veyepar has 2 solutions to this: 1. play list of file:/// files where the local OS has file system access to the files
19:11:48 <CarlFK> 2. create a light weight .webm that gets hosted on a web server, then use html5 video tags in the data entry screen with nifty .js to bounce cut times in/out of the database.
19:12:23 <wouter> CarlFK: the file:/// thingies can be raw .dv files?
19:12:30 <CarlFK> wouter: yes
19:12:58 <wouter> I suggest we go down that route then
19:13:22 <wouter> I think it's important (given the way debconf volunteers volunteer) that people can start reviewing as soon as files appear on the server
19:13:33 <CarlFK> tumbleweed: schedules - every single show is a snowflake.  I'll just do it ;)
19:13:48 <tumbleweed> CarlFK: so we'd be using your instance of veyepar?
19:13:55 <CarlFK> tumbleweed: up to you.
19:14:18 <tumbleweed> and how do we get the raw video in?
19:14:27 <wouter> rsync?
19:14:44 <CarlFK> in where?
19:14:49 <tumbleweed> in to veyepar
19:14:50 <wouter> into veyepar
19:15:00 <CarlFK> veyepar just manages filenames
19:15:13 <franklin> where woudl be CarlFK's server? should it be able to access the raw files ? should veyepar be accesible over the Internet?
19:15:21 <CarlFK> the raw video sits on an nfs server
19:15:24 <tumbleweed> we'll have very good bandwidth this year
19:15:39 <tumbleweed> franklin: on the internet
19:15:48 <wouter> tumbleweed: not necessarily
19:15:56 <wouter> at least I believe so
19:15:56 <tumbleweed> CarlFK: ok, so if we rsync the files to you, you handle the rest?
19:16:03 <CarlFK> ack no.
19:16:03 <CarlFK> lol
19:16:04 <tumbleweed> wouter: what are you not necessarily-ing?
19:16:14 <wouter> doesn't need to be on the internet
19:16:17 <wouter> can be on a local server
19:16:24 <tvaz> can't we host that?
19:16:26 <tvaz> internally?
19:16:27 <tumbleweed> sure
19:16:32 <tvaz> better then IMO
19:16:43 <tumbleweed> right, but then we need to learn how to deploy the thing
19:16:51 <wouter> CarlFK: will you be at debconf?
19:16:52 <tumbleweed> I'd also lean towards hosting it on our network
19:17:05 <CarlFK> wouter: no :(  but Ill be here on irc.
19:17:16 <wouter> mm
19:17:22 <wouter> I suppose it's possible to give you SSH access
19:17:23 <tassia> tumbleweed, better if we don't rely in one person anyway
19:17:36 <CarlFK> tumbleweed: the install is easy enough. can be done ahead of time.
19:17:41 <tumbleweed> tassia: that is true
19:17:45 <tumbleweed> CarlFK: yeah
19:17:52 <tassia> if we are going to use Carl's solution, it would be good if someone else in the team knows that
19:18:10 <CarlFK> and if I don't have ssh then we know that 2 people know whats going on: me and whoever actually set it up
19:18:15 <CarlFK> da.
19:18:16 <tassia> anyone volunteers to try to deploy it?
19:18:20 <tumbleweed> I will
19:18:39 <tumbleweed> it would be nice if someone else will, too. I can't promise to have much time for video team, next year
19:18:46 <tassia> CarlFK, even if you have ssh access, we need someone else to know it
19:19:02 <tassia> da.
19:19:08 <CarlFK> tassia: right.  I don't want ssh access. lol
19:19:17 <tumbleweed> :)
19:20:20 <tvaz> any other python enthusiast here to take the job?
19:20:29 <wouter> tumbleweed: can you try to set it up this week or the next? Then if you don't understand something, you can talk to CarlFK, and if after that you still decide that it's "too hard", we still have time to figure out if there's another option
19:20:36 <franklin> tumbleweed, I would play with it, but I don't have much time and I don't have the hardware. still I would help and look
19:20:48 <tvaz> franklin, yay
19:21:20 <tumbleweed> wouter: sure. franklin: I guess I'll do it on an AWS instance, or something that you can poke around with
19:21:26 <CarlFK> does the current dc15 site have talk schedule?
19:21:43 <wouter> I'm sure we can ask the core team to give us a draft version
19:21:48 <tumbleweed> yep https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/2015-08-15/
19:22:41 <wouter> okay
19:22:48 <wouter> #agreed we will use veyepar for review
19:22:57 <wouter> #agreed tumbleweed will do a test setup, franklin to help
19:23:09 <wouter> #agreed if test setup doesn't work out, we will revisit this subject
19:23:18 <wouter> next point?
19:23:44 <CarlFK> https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15.xml  <- live!  I should have a consumer in a day or so.
19:23:44 <tumbleweed> while we are still vaguely on hardware
19:23:50 <franklin> Live streaming?
19:24:13 <tumbleweed> 18:58 < tumbleweed> streaming: icecast, cubemap
19:24:24 <tumbleweed> that's what we've used in the past, stick with what we know?
19:24:30 <wouter> does it work well?
19:24:33 <wouter> if it ain't broken, don't fix it
19:24:44 <tumbleweed> yeah, fairly well
19:24:54 <franklin> So we are ok with software stack (?)
19:24:56 <tumbleweed> submitting to cubemap required a vlc patch
19:25:03 <tumbleweed> dunon if that's been upstreamed yet
19:25:04 <wouter> are you confident you can set it up?
19:25:10 <tumbleweed> yes, done it a few times now
19:25:16 <wouter> I'd say stick to it then
19:25:28 <franklin> Do we need someone to inventory the hardware/check it's available ?
19:25:49 <tumbleweed> I really think so. Unless someone who has organised hardware in the past knows better
19:26:05 <tumbleweed> I think we may also need to order some new things. (wireless mics come to mind)
19:26:54 <tumbleweed> during dc13 debcamp, we bought quite a bit of small things, at the last minute. But nothing expensive, like that
19:27:04 <franklin> and of course, what hardware we need!
19:27:08 <tassia> franklin, yes
19:27:17 <wouter> we would need to ask irill, I suppose
19:27:24 <wouter> or maybe someone needs to go there and do the physical check
19:27:51 <tassia> it was used for the lyon miniconf?
19:28:08 <tassia> maybe people involved at that time would be able to say
19:28:12 <tumbleweed> and cambridge miniconf
19:28:13 <wouter> not a bad idea
19:28:29 <tassia> tumbleweed, which one was the last?
19:28:39 <tumbleweed> dunno
19:28:44 <tumbleweed> cambridge is november
19:29:03 <tassia> lyon happened this year
19:29:17 <tassia> anyone here was involved in that?
19:29:26 <tassia> I think Ivo was there
19:29:29 <franklin> The hardware might be spread  in different location :-(
19:30:25 <wouter> who organized video at those locations?
19:30:35 <franklin> I can ping various people to gather inventory listed in hardware page
19:30:38 <tumbleweed> cambridge: rattusrattus
19:30:48 <highvoltage> where's the hardware page?
19:30:53 <tassia> franklin, good idea
19:31:09 <tumbleweed> highvoltage:  https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/Hardware + https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam/HardwareInventory
19:31:10 <franklin> #info hardware was probably used in cambridge miniconf (see rattusrattus)
19:31:28 <franklin> #info hardware was probably used in lyon miniconf (see Ivo)
19:31:33 * franklin AFK
19:31:58 <tumbleweed> ah, found my wanted list from post dc-13: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/Videoteam/TODO#Shopping_list
19:32:03 <cate> and maybe in the debian women minidebconf ??
19:32:14 <wouter> cate: that was lyon :)
19:32:17 <tumbleweed> err that1s dc10
19:32:26 <wouter> eh, no, sorry, bukarest or sth
19:32:29 <tumbleweed> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Videoteam/TODO#Missing_things
19:32:34 <wouter> my mistake
19:32:44 <cate> wouter: no, in bucarest
19:33:00 <wouter> that's (nearly) the same thing :)
19:33:56 <wouter> we should perhaps know more about that two weeks from now, too?
19:34:10 <wouter> I think "two weeks" is a good time for "something asap in volunteer context" :)
19:34:20 <tumbleweed> if we action someone to follow up on all of this
19:34:43 <wouter> franklin volunteered. I'll coordinate with him and volunteer on that too
19:34:54 <wouter> #action wouter/franklin to hunt down where all the gear is
19:35:00 <wouter> anything else?
19:35:25 <tumbleweed> when you're doing that, can we build a shopping list of replacements?
19:35:34 <tumbleweed> in other words: compare against https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Videoteam/TODO#Missing_things
19:35:41 <tumbleweed> and we can discuss whether we want to replace those mics etc
19:35:48 <wouter> I would actually suggest we have another meeting in two or three weeks
19:35:52 <wouter> we can discuss it then?
19:35:57 <tumbleweed> sure
19:36:08 <nattie> two, i'd say.  tempus fugit.
19:36:09 <tumbleweed> but I mean, if someone goes on site, please check for "broken" labels
19:36:38 <wouter> oh, right
19:36:47 <wouter> nattie: two it is
19:37:01 <wouter> #action wouter to create doodle for next meeting in two weeks
19:37:26 <wouter> can we wrap up then?
19:37:31 <tumbleweed> yeah, I think I'm running out of steam
19:37:45 <wouter> #endmeeting