16:59:51 <paddatrapper> #startmeeting
16:59:51 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Jun 21 16:59:51 2017 UTC.  The chair is paddatrapper. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:59:51 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:59:57 <paddatrapper> Hello everyone
17:00:00 <olasd> matin
17:00:28 <pollo> 0/
17:00:33 <paddatrapper> Seems I was 9 seconds early according to the bot...
17:00:45 <wouter> o/
17:00:52 <paddatrapper> #topic Camera Equipment
17:00:53 <pollo> that or the server is not running a proper ntp
17:01:09 <olasd> I have some hardware to play with
17:01:10 * paddatrapper hasn't properly configured ntp on this machine
17:01:15 <CarlFK> here
17:01:32 <wouter> olasd: did you get to do some tests yet, or is that still to be done?
17:01:33 <paddatrapper> olasd: have you had a chance to evaluate yet?
17:01:39 <wouter> paddatrapper: :)
17:01:40 <olasd> I got them this morning
17:01:45 <olasd> there's this thing called work
17:01:54 <wouter> guessing that's a no then
17:02:00 <olasd> yeah
17:02:14 <paddatrapper> #info DPL approved purchase of 21000 EUR
17:02:18 <olasd> my plan is still to do stuff on saturday
17:02:27 <paddatrapper> Work is for other people :)
17:02:50 <pollo> I've seen the mail from mithro about capture cards but I did not have time to go through it
17:02:53 <wouter> olasd: if you have any time during the week, might be able to help out with "ideas" and "poking" over IRC
17:02:59 <paddatrapper> #action olasd run tests over the weekend on the test cameras
17:03:00 <pollo> do we need to change our cards for another model?
17:03:02 <wouter> but then, you might not consider that "help", so hey
17:03:22 <wouter> pollo: I would prefer we do not do that, we've tested one model, should probably stick to them?
17:03:26 <olasd> yes
17:03:31 <pollo> good for me
17:03:41 <wouter> as anecdotal evidence,
17:03:49 <wouter> fosdem has blackmagic hardware too, but a different device,
17:03:56 <wouter> and they have never-ending troubles with A/V desync
17:03:59 <paddatrapper> I agree, seeing as how tempremental BM drivers are
17:04:00 <wouter> we don't want to see that :)
17:04:17 <pollo> hmm, and we were able to make our cards run on stretch right?
17:04:27 <olasd> some version of stretch
17:04:38 <wouter> if not, falling back to jessie for dc17 is acceptable, IMO
17:04:49 <olasd> the ansible setup is stretch
17:04:54 <pollo> not really since vocto isn't packaged for jessie either
17:05:00 <paddatrapper> #agreed stick with our current BlackMagic cards - Mini-recorder
17:05:02 <wouter> ah, yes, forgot about that
17:05:17 <wouter> well, if we got it to work on dc16-era stretch, should be doable to get it to work at some point
17:06:13 <paddatrapper> I'd like to try spend some time in my vac testing ansible, but not sure how doable that will be
17:06:32 <olasd> regarding the actual purchase, when getting the cameras I met the sales manager who will get back to me with a quote "tomorrow"
17:06:55 <wouter> for all the stuff you put in your email, right?
17:06:58 <olasd> yes
17:07:31 <wouter> you should probably ask him what the last time is he needs an order for it to be in time for dc17, add some safety margin, and make that a deadline
17:07:55 <paddatrapper> #info olasd should get the quote for equipment tomorrow
17:08:14 <olasd> order to delivery time for sony was 3 business days
17:08:19 <wouter> right
17:08:21 <olasd> jvc was a week
17:08:36 <olasd> the ata carnet stuff will take ~a week
17:08:37 <wouter> how were we going to ship them to YUL?
17:08:39 <paddatrapper> not bad. Got time then
17:08:53 <olasd> wouter: everything in my backpack
17:09:00 <paddatrapper> olasd couriers :)
17:09:03 <wouter> six cameras? seriously?
17:09:12 <olasd> no, not seriously.
17:09:17 <wouter> okay :)
17:09:31 <olasd> "like we did for cape town" was the working assumption
17:09:44 <wouter> how long do DHL or FedEx require to ship them to YUL?
17:09:49 <paddatrapper> Though those were slightly smaller
17:10:03 <tumbleweed> sorry, I'm late
17:10:05 <wouter> yeah, but it's getting closer to debconf, I think we should practicalize that
17:10:30 <wouter> also, I'll be in CPT between 15/7 and 6/8, so I can't go to paris and take anything in carry-on luggage...
17:10:31 <paddatrapper> tumbleweed: \o
17:10:56 <olasd> practically, it means me getting extra luggage on my plane tickets, me getting an ATA carnet for the stuff, me getting to the airport with a bunch of flight cases
17:11:28 <paddatrapper> Do you think it is practical/doable?
17:11:31 <wouter> olasd: if you're happy with that, we can do it that way, but I don't think we should make "olasd courier" a habit
17:11:55 <olasd> olasd shipping agent is seriously more hassle
17:12:05 <wouter> we did it that way for CPT because shipping to CPT would have taken too long. Is the same true for YUL?
17:12:23 <olasd> no, we did it that way for CPT because shipping to CPT was fucking expensive
17:12:35 <wouter> oh? Misremembered that, then
17:12:49 <paddatrapper> Getting anything to CPT is expensive...
17:12:56 <olasd> temporary import would have been 1600 EUR
17:13:00 <olasd> 2600*
17:13:23 <olasd> regular DHL/FedEx would have been around the same, with VAT to be paid twice
17:13:26 <paddatrapper> is it worth investigating shipping to YUL?
17:13:45 <wouter> yes, I think it is
17:14:05 <wouter> if that turns out to be expensive, we can always decide to do it differently
17:14:25 <wouter> but I don't think we should just assume it's going to be a bad idea, and bother people with extra luggage
17:14:27 <pollo> from what I saw, Fedex does temp imports in Canada
17:14:33 <paddatrapper> Is someone willing to do it?
17:14:36 <olasd> for a fee
17:14:40 <pollo> indeed
17:14:46 <olasd> and the ATA carnet overhead still has to be done
17:15:02 <paddatrapper> we'll have to pay either way
17:15:05 <wouter> well, shipping something is never going to be free
17:15:17 <wouter> I could do it, but seriously do not have the time until sometime next week
17:15:35 <wouter> so unless someone else does before then, I'll look at it late next week
17:15:45 <pollo> to me it's really as olasd seems fit. If he think we should look into a Fedex/DHL we should, but otherwise he's the one who is going to handle the stuff directly
17:16:24 <tumbleweed> what pollo said
17:16:35 <wouter> pollo: he already indicated that "olasd shipping agent is seriously more hassle"...
17:16:53 <wouter> I'm happy to look at prices, but can't really do so until sometime late next week
17:16:59 <wouter> (at least not in detail)
17:17:35 <olasd> while we're on the shipping part, I need a list of what needs to be shipped on the wiki
17:17:36 <CarlFK> I can test the bm card/driver on stretch in the next ... say 5 days.
17:18:14 <paddatrapper> olasd: meaning list of equipment we plan on using in each room?
17:18:30 <paddatrapper> CarlFK: thanks, that would be useful
17:19:03 <olasd> paddatrapper: yes, as well as what stuff I need to put on the temporary import papers
17:19:17 <olasd> which will also be needed to get a proper quote for shipping
17:19:25 <olasd> (you need dimensions weights and prices)
17:19:44 <CarlFK> olasd: for me I also needed serial numbers
17:20:02 <wouter> isn't that what the ATA carnet thing does?
17:20:12 <paddatrapper> there's a rough list on the wiki already. I'll try flesh it out this weekend, including diagrams which should help defining that
17:21:08 <olasd> CarlFK: sure
17:21:09 <paddatrapper> the blocker currently is the auditorium venue details, so I'll work off assumptions there until pollo hears back from the tech guy
17:21:25 <paddatrapper> #action CarlFK to test BM cards and firmware
17:21:38 <wouter> we should probably deal with a worst-case scenario for now, and see what's going to be cheaper later
17:21:43 <paddatrapper> #action paddatrapper to flesh out equipment list for shipping
17:21:46 <pollo> we can talk about AV in the other topic
17:21:54 <wouter> right
17:22:00 <wouter> anything else on this?
17:22:08 <paddatrapper> #action wouter to get shipping quote for equipment
17:22:10 <olasd> you won't get a quote on a worst case scenario
17:22:46 <wouter> paddatrapper: but I can't do that until late last week :)
17:23:00 <wouter> olasd: sure you will, just say "I need to..." and then describe the worst-case scenario
17:23:13 <wouter> and then you get a quote
17:23:18 <paddatrapper> #info wouter will only get to quote late next week
17:23:34 <CarlFK> are the 1 or 2 older cameras/tripods  being shipped?
17:23:37 <wouter> that gives you all the time to come up with a good list :-)
17:23:51 <olasd> CarlFK: that's why I'm asking for a list.
17:23:52 <wouter> cameras probably not, tripods maybe? Are they still good?
17:24:04 <tumbleweed> the two nice ones are nice
17:24:10 <paddatrapper> They were fine last year
17:24:19 <wouter> well, yes then, IMO
17:24:30 <paddatrapper> tumbleweed: if they weren't I'd be worried :)
17:24:32 <wouter> and we should only need to buy four new ones for the new cameras, not six, in that case
17:24:49 <tumbleweed> paddatrapper: :P
17:24:52 <paddatrapper> #info we still have two working tripods
17:25:03 <paddatrapper> cool, anything else on this topic?
17:25:16 <olasd> I'm good
17:25:24 <wouter> does vocto do tally lights?
17:25:29 <pollo> nope
17:25:29 <olasd> no
17:25:32 <pollo> not at the moment
17:25:40 <pollo> the idea was to right something separate
17:25:41 <wouter> cool, I have a project to hack on on the airplane then :-)
17:25:51 <pollo> s/right/rig/
17:26:12 <wouter> you really want to do that in the software itself, it's much more reliable that way
17:26:28 <pollo> RattusRattus wanted us to use radio helmets to be able to talk one to each other
17:26:29 <paddatrapper> worst comes to worst the director can use his finger :)
17:26:32 <pollo> but that'll wait :D
17:26:49 <paddatrapper> yeah that falls under the open hardware project...
17:26:50 <wouter> pollo: yeah, he's been talking about doing that since at least heidelberg, if not earlier
17:26:56 <wouter> but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon
17:27:06 <wouter> we already have tally lights otoh, just need the software to talk to it
17:27:17 <tumbleweed> we have lots of them :)
17:27:27 <tumbleweed> I think about 10
17:27:46 <wouter> tumbleweed: yes, but vocto ignores them, so that's not helpful
17:27:48 <olasd> about 4 that look like bombs and 6 decent ones yeah
17:27:52 <tumbleweed> wouter: yes, I got that
17:27:58 <wouter> sory
17:28:01 <paddatrapper> And the DMX extension to the TOFE Milkymist boards would be interesting there
17:28:14 <wouter> yes, there is that
17:28:23 * wouter notes he maintains DMX-controlling software for Debian
17:28:58 <wouter> but still, that also requires extra hardware (lighting that supports DMX), we already have the current tally lights
17:28:58 <paddatrapper> side note: I was very excited to see terminal based DMX software when I saw your email on that
17:29:11 <wouter> anyway, getting immensely off-topic
17:29:14 <wouter> paddatrapper: :)
17:29:18 <paddatrapper> #topic Audio Equipment Hire
17:29:37 <olasd> please do remember that we need to hire a bit more than just audio equipment
17:29:52 <olasd> e.g. tripods; SDI cable
17:29:55 <pollo> ah, so AV
17:30:09 <wouter> I thought we were going to buy tripods? Or did we say we'd postpone that until next year?
17:30:12 <pollo> I've got in touch with the tech responsible for AV at the venue
17:30:14 * wouter isn't sure anymore
17:30:15 <paddatrapper> #info need to hire more than audio - SDI, tripods, etc
17:30:25 <olasd> we decided that shipping tripods around was silly
17:30:35 <pollo> he says he's got the stuff we need for the auditorium
17:30:36 <wouter> ah, okay
17:30:40 <olasd> two for minidebconfs is fine, more than that isn't reasonable
17:30:45 <wouter> fair enough
17:30:47 <pollo> I fwd him the specs paddatrapper put on the wiki
17:30:47 <paddatrapper> so then why are we buying 4?
17:30:53 <olasd> paddatrapper: we're... not.
17:31:01 <paddatrapper> that works :)
17:31:03 <wouter> paddatrapper: what olasd said. I was confused earlier
17:31:16 <pollo> and I've got to call him this week to confirm the rest of the rental stiff
17:31:21 * paddatrapper thought they were on the list...
17:31:55 <paddatrapper> #actio pollo to call the tech responsible for AV at the venue for rental
17:32:03 <paddatrapper> #action pollo to call the tech responsible for AV at the venue for rental
17:32:06 <pollo> that's about all I had to say. Sorry it takes so much time for me to deal with this, I'm quite busy
17:32:18 <pollo> and I loathe phone calls
17:32:29 <paddatrapper> is there anything you need from us for it?
17:32:37 <olasd> haven't found one of your eager local volunteers to help?
17:32:38 <wouter> pollo: I take it you mean he has some equipment, enough to deal with the auditorium, but that everything else needs to be rented?
17:32:39 <pollo> I don't think so, the list was pretty clear
17:32:57 <wouter> or did I misunderstand?
17:33:00 <pollo> wouter: he also has an AV rental company
17:33:05 <wouter> oh, okay
17:33:05 <paddatrapper> wouter: my understanding is he can provid us with everything?
17:33:07 <pollo> so we'll rent stuff from him
17:33:11 <wouter> that makes sense then
17:33:47 <paddatrapper> Anything else before we move on?
17:34:02 <wouter> I think we're good
17:34:14 * paddatrapper will rename this item next meeting
17:34:22 <paddatrapper> #topic Next Meeting
17:34:24 <wouter> how are we on computers, again?
17:34:33 <pollo> venue provides i7s
17:34:37 <wouter> ah, yes, sorry
17:34:46 <pollo> as much as we need, towers with 1TB HDD
17:34:55 <wouter> right, right, I remember now
17:34:55 <wouter> nvm
17:35:01 <paddatrapper> Next week Wednesday 28 June @ 17:00 UTC?
17:35:06 <pollo> gfm
17:35:09 <wouter> wfm
17:35:13 <olasd> sure
17:35:38 <paddatrapper> #agreed Next meeting next week Wednesday 28 June @ 17:00 UTC
17:35:47 <paddatrapper> #endmeeting