19:00:05 <OdyX> #startmeeting
19:00:05 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed May 17 19:00:05 2017 UTC.  The chair is OdyX. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:05 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:27 <OdyX> #topic Round of names
19:00:30 <OdyX> Didier Raboud
19:01:15 <bremner> David Bremner
19:01:20 <OdyX> fil, marga, keithp, hartmans, Mithrandir: ping
19:01:31 <Mithrandir> hi
19:01:34 <Mithrandir> Tollef Fog Heen
19:01:35 <bremner> see above for hartmans
19:02:13 <keithp> Keith Packard
19:04:05 <OdyX> #topic Review of previous meetings' TODOs
19:04:14 <OdyX> AFAIK all we discussed was done, thanks for it!
19:04:25 <OdyX> The longrunning TODOS still need doing though.
19:04:34 <OdyX> #topic #839172 TC decision regarding #741573 menu policy not reflected yet
19:05:08 <OdyX> The status there hasn't changed; it needs someone to draft a policy patch, and the plan is to do it during DebConf.
19:05:23 <Mithrandir> take it off the agenda for now, then?
19:05:29 <keithp> sounds like a plan to me
19:05:42 <OdyX> Well, it's on the open bugs list, hence on the agenda.
19:05:50 <OdyX> #topic #836127 New CTTE Members
19:06:09 <OdyX> I emitted my opinions, but felt alone there.
19:06:28 <Mithrandir> yeah, apologies from me, I've been swamped with non-debian work.
19:06:43 <bremner> I failed to emit opinions. I have no excuse, except I don't really know what to think.
19:07:27 <bremner> do we already have a deadline for this?
19:07:38 <OdyX> The point is that we need to get to a decision, either on a name, or on postponing. I don't like leaving everyone (including us) in the expectative
19:07:44 <fil> hi
19:08:04 <OdyX> ohai
19:08:14 <fil> (sorry I'm late)
19:09:07 <OdyX> Any opinions how to proceed there? How can we move forward '
19:09:08 <OdyX> ?
19:10:07 <keithp> other than just running an internal ballot?
19:10:42 <OdyX> well. Running an internal ballot is a new opinion. Could you launch one
19:10:43 <OdyX> ?
19:11:18 <keithp> yes, if that seems like a way to get things moving along
19:11:39 <OdyX> it kinda does, I suspect.
19:11:40 <Mithrandir> sorry, my IRC client crashed. :-(
19:11:47 <keithp> figures
19:11:50 <Mithrandir> internal ballot sounds fine to me
19:11:53 <keithp> software is unreliable. who knew?
19:12:20 <OdyX> :)
19:12:55 <keithp> (does seem odd that hardware, which is intrinsically unreliable is more reliable  than software, which is intrinsically reliable...)
19:13:44 <keithp> ok, I'll gather the names we have and post a ballot to the list then, unless there's more discussion that people want to have before that
19:13:58 <OdyX> #action keithp to gather the names we have a post a ballot to the list.
19:14:00 <OdyX> #save
19:14:19 <OdyX> Seems like a good step forward; but we definitely need more data from all current members.
19:14:23 <OdyX> #topic Additional Business
19:14:35 <keithp> FD is a fine answer to 'we don't have enough data yet'
19:16:10 <bremner> Could we have a public discussion about what we're looking for? (sortof last topic)
19:16:55 <bremner> I feel like people have strong ideas about principles that have been somewhat articulated on the private alias, but I wonder if we should try to be transparent about that part, if we can
19:17:04 <keithp> you bet
19:17:26 <keithp> that might provide more transparency in the process, which is always good.
19:18:19 <OdyX> The point, I'm afraid, is that we have a quite small set of candidates.
19:19:30 <bremner> is that just a general problem, or you worry specifically about trying to discuss publicly leaking private things?
19:19:54 <fil> personally, I don't feel particularly qualified to have an opinion, and I'm strongly convinced that every interview process I've ever come accross was pretty broken, so I struggle to come up with any criteria that I can be happy about applying to this process
19:20:44 <OdyX> The process came up with bremner. How bad can it be ? :-P
19:20:51 * bremner coughs
19:21:17 <fil> :-)
19:22:04 <keithp> well, one problem with our very subjective process is that it encourages us to find people like ourselves
19:22:32 <OdyX> We can still put a hold on the process, and discuss the question on impersonal terms with the projec
19:23:12 <OdyX> I've phrased the concern that we spend a considerable amount of our energy just for renewal, and that isn't solved if we let the process drag us until May-June in the year.
19:24:28 <OdyX> so there are two ways forward: stop & discuss; or get it done and postpone discussing.
19:26:09 <OdyX> I lean towards the latter currently.
19:26:18 <fil> keithp: I suspect that people self-select to some extent based on whether they think they'd fit, which overlaps with that effect.  Also, the project is perhaps not the most diverse population.
19:28:03 <keithp> agreed, but our process is pushing in the wrong direction here
19:28:10 <OdyX> Are we getting anywhere additional to the #info above ?
19:28:21 <bremner> I don't think so.
19:28:24 <fil> I favour producing the candidates in a random ordering, and then asking for good reasons why not to select the first one that pops out of the machine -- might help address that concern.
19:28:38 <keithp> yes, you've really helped here, thanks for that
19:29:14 <OdyX> Not that I dislike the chit-chat with you guys :)
19:29:22 <OdyX> Thanks for the discussion!
19:29:32 <keithp> heh. agreed, probably enough for IRC
19:29:39 <OdyX> #endmeeting