17:58:33 <marga> #startmeeting
17:58:33 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Sep 16 17:58:33 2020 UTC.  The chair is marga. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:58:33 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:58:38 <marga> #topic Roll Call
17:58:45 <marga> Alright, so, who's around?
17:58:49 <marga> Margarita Manterola
17:59:07 <bremner> David Bremner, sorta around
17:59:21 <smcv> Simon McVittie
17:59:28 <ntyni> Niko Tyni (but distracted)
18:01:31 <ehashman> Elana Hashman
18:01:44 <ehashman> sorry was catching up on email momentarily
18:02:08 <marga> So, we don't have any bugs, so we can decide to cut the meeting short if we want.
18:02:16 <marga> #topic Follow up from the DebConf discussion
18:02:48 <marga> We had a great discussion during DebConf and I think we should try to turn that into actual action items, I'm just not sure exactly what to do about each thing
18:02:58 <marga> What do you folks think?
18:03:25 <bremner> agreed on both "we should do something" and "I don't know exactly what"
18:03:39 <ehashman> ++
18:03:53 <marga> haha
18:04:30 <ntyni> yeah, that's easy to +1 :)
18:05:59 <marga> Alright, so how does it sound that each section gets an owner and that owner gets to drive the corresponding changes forward?
18:08:29 <ehashman> that sounds like it is more likely to ensure people will do something than leaving them nameless and amorphous
18:09:28 <marga> Right, that was my goal
18:09:41 <marga> But I'm open to other ideas if anybody has any
18:10:31 <smcv> I know I presented one of them, but I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by trying to get GNOME 3.38 into Debian, so I'd prefer to step back (assuming there are enough people interested in pushing the one I presented)
18:13:33 <marga> That's fair
18:13:45 <marga> Are there any volunteers for driving one of the points forward?
18:14:53 <ehashman> I am happy to drive forward the proposal I presented (engaging ctte privately)
18:15:00 <ehashman> what does driving it forward look like?
18:15:11 <ehashman> figuring out next steps?
18:15:41 <marga> Uhm, maybe creating a small summary of what was discussed and then proposing actions that we could take?
18:16:02 <ehashman> sounds good to me
18:17:40 <marga> ok... I'm willing to take any of the other points myself, but I don't want all three of them :)
18:18:12 <bremner> I can't commit to anything now, maybe in 2021 (lame, I know)
18:18:42 <ehashman> who's not here, let's assign them things
18:18:44 <ehashman> :D
18:18:59 <bremner> gwolf for doer of things!
18:19:12 <marga> heh, tempting, but I'm not sure it will get us results.
18:19:13 <ntyni> I can try to at least summarize the 'invoking the TC early' point, not sure if I can commit further than that
18:19:34 <ehashman> maybe given current commitments/availability and attendance of this meeting, we table this topic to next month?
18:19:55 <marga> Yeah, I think we can table it for next month.
18:20:14 <marga> Not sure the next topic will go any differently :)
18:20:20 <marga> #topic Recruitment efforts
18:20:51 <marga> So, this year we say good bye to fil. We need to recruit one person.
18:21:19 <marga> It's still a bit early, but given how slow we are in general, it might not be too early to start thinking about this.
18:21:30 <ehashman> ++ head start
18:21:51 <bremner> so suggestions to the illegal private alias?
18:21:57 <marga> So, I guess right now the main question is the strategy that we want to use for this recruitment effort.
18:22:17 <marga> The private alias is mentioned in the constitution, specifically for this purpose.
18:22:44 <ntyni> iirc fil has some scripts to ask random DDs for suggestions
18:23:00 <marga> Yes
18:23:18 <marga> What will we do when he leaves? I think we need someone to carry on that torch
18:23:21 <smcv> so an obvious action item: fil to pass those scripts to someone who is not leaving the committee?
18:24:26 <marga> Yeah
18:24:40 <ntyni> maybe just put them in tech-ctte.git
18:24:53 <marga> Makes sense
18:25:33 <ntyni> though there might be a log of who has already been asked etc that should probably not be public
18:25:53 <ntyni> but we need fil for the details obviously
18:25:58 <marga> Alright, I'll action myself to ask fil for details
18:26:17 <marga> #action marga to ask fil about the script and suggest that it gets stored in git if possible.
18:28:04 <marga> Anything else we can do to get a head start on the recruitment thing?
18:28:31 <ntyni> we might want to make a public call for nominations? as in d-d-a or something
18:29:09 <marga> Yes, I'm a bit unsure about the timing for that one. Early October?
18:29:16 <ehashman> when does fil's term end?
18:29:41 <marga> December 31st
18:29:54 <ehashman> October++ then
18:30:12 <marga> Ok
18:30:13 <ehashman> if we do early Oct then hopefully we can get some responses before our next meeting
18:30:44 <marga> #action marga to send email to d-d-a about the call for nominations in early october
18:30:59 <marga> Not so sure about that, but we'll see. Historically it has been hard to get nominations :)
18:31:24 <marga> Alright, I think that's it for now.
18:31:29 <marga> #topic Any other business?
18:33:39 <marga> I'll take that as no :)
18:34:00 <marga> Take care everyone. Hopefully next month will be better. Hugs!
18:34:00 <bremner> not from me
18:34:03 <bremner> o/
18:34:06 <marga> #endmeeting