18:59:48 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor browser
18:59:48 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Dec 11 18:59:48 2017 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:48 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:59:53 <GeKo> hi all!
18:59:55 <sysrqb> .
18:59:58 <sysrqb> Hi!
18:59:59 <boklm> hi!
19:00:09 <igt0> howdy!
19:00:10 <GeKo> i know some of us are busy with being at the all hands meeting
19:00:26 <GeKo> but still we can do a useful meeting i think
19:00:38 <GeKo> today first time with the new format i outlined on tbb-dev
19:00:53 <GeKo> the meeting pad is at https://storm.torproject.org/grain/3n99bRjWCenXNgAWYydntW/
19:01:05 <GeKo> i hope everyone can see it
19:01:30 <GeKo> let's have a couple of minutes to read through each other's updates
19:01:52 <GeKo> in case there is something you like to have dicussed please mark it as bold
19:01:59 <boklm> that's not the same URL as in the email?
19:02:00 <sysrqb> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N is the link I used
19:02:13 <GeKo> ah, sorry, yes
19:02:21 <sysrqb> seems permission deied fo the grain just pasted :)
19:02:46 <GeKo> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N is the one, yes
19:05:25 <GeKo> okay, it seems we have only one item for today
19:06:05 <GeKo> releases are out and we plan to have another alpha next week to pick up a new tor alpha and patches in our backlog
19:06:29 <GeKo> mcs: if kathy and you could help with reviews that would be  good
19:06:43 <GeKo> i think i'd need one for #23104
19:06:48 <mcs> GeKo: okay
19:06:52 <GeKo> and #23106
19:06:56 <GeKo> errr
19:07:00 <GeKo> #23016
19:07:29 <GeKo> i am not sure about #24398 as i could not reproduce it when i tested
19:07:49 <GeKo> if you can then, neat, the fix is not that complicated
19:08:00 <GeKo> otherwise i think i can handle the other reviews
19:08:07 <mcs> When dio you plan to start the builds?
19:08:21 <GeKo> i think on monday
19:08:27 <GeKo> maybe on the weekend
19:08:49 <mcs> Okay. We will try to get to the reviews in the next couple of days so there is plenty of time left.
19:08:58 <GeKo> thanks
19:09:00 <mcs> (for tweaks etc)
19:09:27 <GeKo> yep.
19:10:08 <GeKo> sysrqb: have you already started working on merging the orfox patches into tor browser?
19:10:36 <GeKo> i am asking as igt0 has it as a possible item to work on next week as well
19:10:57 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes, I already started. i wanted to ask/confirm 52.5.2 is the best branch
19:11:17 <sysrqb> yeah, and I saw igt0 assgned the trac ticket to themselves
19:11:25 <sysrqb> I was going to discuss it with them
19:12:14 <GeKo> the best branch is the 52.5.2 one for tor browser 7.5
19:12:30 <GeKo> in general the one used in the alpha versions
19:12:31 <sysrqb> okay
19:12:51 <GeKo> and, yes, coordinating with igt0 seems smart to avoid double work
19:13:04 <GeKo> i am fine if one of you rebases and the other reviews the work
19:13:43 <GeKo> it would give both of you an overview about the patches currently used/needed for mobile
19:14:08 <sysrqb> i was cherrypicking onto 7.0.1, and this may be a good middle stage, but I'll make sure they apply cleanly on 7.5, too
19:14:14 <sysrqb> yes, agreed
19:14:20 <igt0> GeKo, sysrqb  it sounds a great idea
19:14:22 <GeKo> sysrqb: igt0: feel free to work out yourselves who is doing what in that regard
19:14:56 <sysrqb> will do
19:15:02 <GeKo> okay.
19:15:30 <GeKo> sysrqb: igt0: another thing to consider for the longer run
19:15:48 <GeKo> we have two extensions in tor browser on the desktop we maintain ourselves
19:15:57 <GeKo> torbutton and tor launcher
19:16:14 <GeKo> and we need both of them ported to mobile
19:16:45 <GeKo> i thought one of you would work on the torbutton port and the other one on the tor launcher port
19:17:11 <GeKo> feel free to look at the respective code and pick one of the code bases
19:17:19 <sysrqb> okay, will do
19:17:44 <GeKo> we can then think about how to do the porting and what the outcome should look like
19:18:18 <mcs> It would be good to have a proposal for the port before a lot of work is done. I think that is what you are saying.
19:18:19 <GeKo> e.g. it might be smart to rewrite the code that only the ui for desktop and mobile differs
19:18:27 <GeKo> yes
19:18:44 <GeKo> i don't expect the work getting done in the next week
19:18:49 <mcs> :)
19:18:52 <GeKo> but it will be a longer project
19:19:12 <GeKo> and we should start thinking about both ports
19:19:44 <GeKo> (do finish my sentence above: while both desktop and mobile could use the same backend)
19:20:11 <sysrqb> I know n8fr8 is working on launch screen for onion browser, and thought android and ios should have a similar experience
19:20:35 <sysrqb> we may want to consider their work while we port tor launcher
19:20:37 <GeKo> yeah, that could be a think we want to take into account too.
19:21:33 <GeKo> sysrqb: igt0: i think it is realistic if you decide who wants to work on the torbutton port and who on the tor launcher port and start looking into the code bases
19:21:51 <GeKo> and then we get started for realz with that project in january
19:22:06 <sysrqb> sounds good to me
19:23:00 <igt0> ah great, so should we propose the UX for both extensions as well (if yes, we could propose changes in the desktop one?)
19:23:18 <GeKo> you could do that
19:23:33 <GeKo> but once we are going down that road we should loop in the ux team
19:23:42 <GeKo> but generally, sure
19:24:21 <igt0> okey dokey
19:25:21 <GeKo> okay, that's all the items i have
19:25:46 <sysrqb> cool, me too
19:25:52 <GeKo> should we send out an email to tor-project with our meetin notes like the network team is doing?
19:25:57 <GeKo> *meeting
19:26:07 <sysrqb> sounds like a good idea
19:26:26 <GeKo> yeah, now that not everything is captured with meetbot anymore.
19:26:40 <mcs> I think that is a good idea (could help improve coordination across teams).
19:26:48 <GeKo> yep
19:26:49 <mcs> And good point r.e. MeetBot
19:26:56 <boklm> yes
19:26:57 <GeKo> i'll do that later then
19:27:38 <GeKo> alright. thanks for coming and happy tor-browser-improving *baf*
19:27:42 <GeKo> #endmeeting