18:09:51 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor-browser
18:09:51 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Apr 16 18:09:51 2018 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:09:51 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:10:14 <GeKo> welcome to a new edition of the weekly tor browser meeting!
18:10:33 <GeKo> please look over the items on the pad and add yours if you have not done so yet
18:11:08 <mcs> Today I added some descriptions next to ticket numbers in other people’s items; I hope that doesn’t annoy anyone.
18:11:53 <pospeselr> mcs: very helpful
18:13:18 <GeKo> mcs: man, i wonder what that xpcproxy thing is doing :(
18:13:26 <GeKo> i guess that's a fun one to track down
18:13:53 <pospeselr> yeah that one sounds awful to repro
18:14:23 <mcs> GeKo: I forgot about that ticket. Reproducing it is the key, probably.
18:14:30 <sysrqb> isabela: ack, i'll update the pad with work i've done
18:15:09 <isabela> ty
18:16:06 <isabela> (this week sync w/ ux will be to follow up on security controls and about:tor) fyi
18:16:57 <GeKo> alright, it seems we have only one item whichi marked as bold
18:17:14 <GeKo> tjr: so, it seems the debug build is draining your time
18:17:21 <tjr> Yea
18:17:32 <GeKo> what about the non-debug one?
18:17:40 <tjr> They actually suggested if I could find someone who could work on it we could hire a contractor to take it away from me
18:17:57 <GeKo> because that's the more critical one for us
18:18:07 <GeKo> aha
18:18:15 <GeKo> how important is the debug stuff for mozilla?
18:18:29 <tjr> They don't particurally care about either. This is all for you.
18:18:31 <tjr> My hope/expectation was that a debug build would lead to a faster resolution on the non-debug one
18:18:49 <GeKo> okay
18:18:56 <tjr> On x86, the non-debug one had... heisencrashes. It crashed oten, but not consistently
18:19:02 <tjr> And it was unclear what was causing it
18:19:09 <GeKo> exciting
18:19:14 <tjr> I haven't dug into x64 much; the current fronter crash is a JS assertion
18:19:25 <tjr> With the expectation that the same heisencrashes would be behind it
18:19:38 <tjr> I can switch a little and try to make progress on non-debug
18:20:04 <GeKo> hrm
18:20:48 <GeKo> i wonder if we can track this down without debug build help
18:21:35 <tjr> I'll give it a shot :)
18:21:51 <GeKo> tjr: what would helpful either way is to get this running on windows 7 without our spec hacks
18:22:13 <tjr> After learning how to parse DWARF you don't need to do much arguing to convince me not to go parse another decades old file format
18:22:46 <tjr> At the moment I'm focused on just getting it to run on Windows 10; the spec stuff shouldn't come into play there
18:23:34 <GeKo> indeed, right
18:23:41 <GeKo> let's solve that one first :)
18:24:13 <GeKo> i can try setting up my laptop to build what you have so we can look together
18:24:38 <tjr> Let me take a first crash at it
18:24:47 <GeKo> i meant to do that anyway to figure out why #23231 is a non-issue with esr60
18:24:54 <tjr> In any event; you can run my treeherder builds I presume, which should save you build time
18:25:03 <GeKo> good point
18:26:00 <GeKo> okay, i'll wait on you and hopefully you can figure out some stuff (tbh i don't think i would me a great help anyway :) )
18:26:20 <tjr> Related/Unreleated - I've begun working on CFI for mozilla. I don't know how easy it will be for Tor to pick it up, but maybe in 8.5 mingw-clang timeframe
18:26:37 <GeKo> that would be neat!
18:27:10 <GeKo> okay, there is an item for igt0 i see?
18:27:40 <GeKo> or is this sorted out?
18:27:48 <igt0> it is sorted :), it was a sysrqb question
18:28:07 <sysrqb> yup :)
18:28:10 <GeKo> kk
18:28:46 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: so, where are we wrt to #22343=
18:28:49 <GeKo> ?
18:29:00 <GeKo> it seems sysrqb hit that one or a related one too
18:29:32 <sysrqb> oh, right..i knew i did something else last week, i couldn't remember :)
18:29:40 <sysrqb> all those tickets :/
18:29:53 <GeKo> welcome to tor browser work
18:30:01 <sysrqb> GeKo: thanks for being patient with me
18:30:02 <arthuredelstein> I think I have another revision in progress
18:30:35 <arthuredelstein> that's something I could work on this week after posting the rebase branch, if that is useful
18:30:38 <GeKo> sysrqb: no worries about that :)
18:30:58 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: yes, that's why i am mentioning this ;)
18:31:10 <arthuredelstein> OK! will do
18:31:13 <GeKo> thx
18:31:38 <GeKo> it seems we are good!
18:31:54 <arthuredelstein> is there a ticket for what sysrqb ran into?
18:32:08 <mcs> arthuredelstein: r.e. the rebase branch, Kathy and I have a few changes to your patches (things we had to change when we moved onto Mozilla’s latest beta branch_
18:32:18 <mcs> I will send them to you later today or tomorrow.
18:32:36 <arthuredelstein> mcs: OK! thank you! I also have a new branch based on the latest beta so I may have already made those changes
18:32:54 <mcs> OK
18:33:04 <sysrqb> arthuredelstein: i commented on #25672
18:33:05 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: there are some comments in #25672, then there is #25773
18:33:17 <GeKo> and then there is #25770
18:33:35 <arthuredelstein> mcs: but glad to take a look at your fixes as well
18:34:33 <GeKo> mcs: i guess i'll try to find out what that mysterious https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1105689#c52 is about
18:34:39 <GeKo> i'll cc you and brade
18:35:05 <GeKo> anything else for today? either regarding particular items on tzhe pad or general for discussion?
18:35:13 <arthuredelstein> GeKo: sysrqb: These seem to be separate FPI violations not connected to Save As, correct?
18:35:38 <sysrqb> i made a mess on the developer tools ticket
18:35:45 <sysrqb> it should've been on the save-as ticket
18:35:45 <GeKo> well, it's related to Save Link As...
18:35:57 <mcs> r.e. that updater question: That would be great..
18:36:02 <mcs> GeKo: ^
18:36:45 <sysrqb> the speculative download is related because it seems like this is why the "save Link As..." connection doesn't have FPI
18:36:57 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: it's more #22649
18:36:59 <sysrqb> (from what i saw)
18:37:09 <arthuredelstein> sysrqb: Ah, gotcha. I see your comment now. "Save Link As" should be covered by the #22343 patch I believe.
18:37:14 <arthuredelstein> GeKo: ^
18:37:17 <GeKo> which is highly related
18:37:28 <GeKo> neat
18:37:31 <sysrqb> cool, thanks
18:37:58 <GeKo> alright, thanks for the meeting then and have a nice week everyone *baf*
18:38:10 <GeKo> -endmeeting
18:38:23 <GeKo> #endmeeting