14:29:28 <karsten> #startmeeting metrics team meeting
14:29:28 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed May  9 14:29:28 2018 UTC.  The chair is karsten. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:29:28 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:29:31 <karsten> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/5h1Goax5eNusxjXJ_Ty5Wl7hFR1uqCReUiN8xdlBG8T <- agenda pad
14:30:02 * irl 
14:30:12 <karsten> hello!
14:30:32 <irl> hi!
14:30:46 <karsten> "Reconnecting to your pad.."
14:30:51 <karsten> iwakeh: hi!
14:30:55 <iwakeh> hi!
14:31:04 <irl> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at storm.torproject.org.
14:31:04 <karsten> glad to have you back here!
14:31:16 <karsten> yes, storm looks unhappy.
14:31:42 <karsten> so, 1 minute ago, there was 1 topic on the agenda: #24229.
14:32:03 <karsten> (trac is unhappy, too?)
14:32:17 <irl> uh oh
14:32:33 <iwakeh> very unhappy, indeed.
14:32:46 <karsten> trac has been slow today.
14:33:03 <karsten> #24229 [Metrics/Website]: Provide BGP Data Collection on Tor Metrics
14:33:09 <karsten> iwakeh: that was your topic.
14:33:18 <iwakeh> yes, we don't need trac that.
14:33:34 <iwakeh> Basically, we agreed on naming etc. so far
14:33:55 <iwakeh> and I wanted to simply add the data to corsicum, where
14:34:04 <iwakeh> we can look at the file structure.
14:34:34 <iwakeh> and, also finish the JSP for metrics-web.  This would enable a review
14:34:44 <iwakeh> and finally finish this task.
14:34:51 <karsten> heh. sounds good!
14:34:56 <karsten> anything I need to do?
14:35:15 <iwakeh> not until, copying data and all to colchicifolium.
14:35:27 <iwakeh> just asking, b/c
14:35:51 <iwakeh> the data would be visible immediately on collector2, when I put it up.
14:36:00 <karsten> ah, that's fine.
14:36:09 <iwakeh> ok, all settled then.
14:36:13 <karsten> great!
14:36:30 <irl> storm is back
14:36:35 <iwakeh> yeah
14:36:46 <iwakeh> trac too
14:36:59 <karsten> let's remember to avoid storing things on storm that we rely on...
14:37:27 <iwakeh> it's not lost, just inaccessible ;-)
14:37:29 <karsten> cool, more topics.
14:37:35 <karsten> ideally!
14:37:43 <karsten> * list of exceptional relays (irl)
14:38:18 <irl> so for the meetings, arma asked if we have a list of good relays that could be used to identify people to invite to meetings
14:38:59 <irl> this weekend i was going to come up with some metric, probably stability and keeping it up to date, and being somewhat recent, and then just go through all the consensuses and make a sorted list
14:39:57 <irl> my hope is that this won't take forever to process, but i've not done this before, so i don't know
14:40:16 <karsten> maybe you could start with onionoo.
14:40:35 <karsten> because it has some history.
14:40:42 <karsten> for example, first_seen.
14:41:04 <irl> that would be easier
14:41:10 <karsten> also take into account that relays should push a certain amount of traffic to be listed.
14:42:02 <irl> i was going to take traffic into account, but i didn't want to have it as a primary thing
14:42:12 <karsten> ok.
14:42:20 <irl> if someone has been running 10 medium relays for years, that's better than one high-bandwidth relay for a few months
14:42:40 <karsten> so, yes, I think that's what I would do: use onionoo, provide parameters as they are available, filter the rest using local tools.
14:42:49 <irl> ok cool
14:43:02 <karsten> great!
14:43:11 <karsten> next is:
14:43:12 <karsten> * information architecture and coordination with UX team #24422 (irl)
14:43:18 <karsten> I looked at the mindmap!
14:43:27 <irl> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/24422/map.png
14:43:28 <karsten> though not enough to give useful feedback.
14:43:41 <karsten> but it looks like a great start.
14:43:53 <irl> basically just to report that i've shared this with the UX team to see if there is anywhere where we should be linking to other portals, or where other portals may link to us
14:44:30 <irl> at the moment this is hierachical, but the end result will be a graph that's probably too difficult to visualise in the limited dimensions of our spacetime
14:45:02 <karsten> ah, too bad..
14:45:06 <karsten> we'll try!
14:45:13 <karsten> this sounds great to me!
14:45:47 <irl> ok, once it's clearer where boundaries are around sections of it, i might start to file tickets to get things organised
14:46:02 <karsten> so, it's a feature that some entries are listed twice in different places?
14:46:20 <karsten> like "Contributing to Tor Metrics"
14:46:25 <irl> anything where there is an exclamation mark is an external link
14:46:35 <karsten> or "Onionoo API" and "API Documentation" under "Onionoo".
14:46:54 * iwakeh still waiting for the map to load ..
14:47:03 <irl> oh yes, some things are aliases where content would really be under another section as its "home" but referenced in other places it makes sense
14:47:04 <karsten> ugh, trac.
14:47:21 <karsten> ah, "i" stands for alias?
14:47:25 <irl> yep
14:47:35 <karsten> ok. a legend would help. :)
14:47:59 <irl> ok, i'll add one for the next snapshot
14:48:09 <karsten> iwakeh: do you want me to send you the png via email?
14:48:45 <iwakeh> Trac should be back, when irl uploads the next version, but yes I'm curious.
14:49:05 <karsten> sent.
14:49:17 <iwakeh> thx!
14:51:13 <karsten> alright. I'm very curious where this is going. :)
14:51:24 <karsten> and happy to move things around where they make more sense.
14:51:31 <irl> awesome (:
14:51:59 <karsten> do we have anything else for today?
14:52:04 <irl> nothing else from me
14:52:13 <karsten> (I don't have anything. everything's on trac that I'm currently working on.)
14:52:19 <iwakeh> from me neither.
14:52:52 <karsten> perfect! then let's end this meeting and discuss the rest via email/trac (as it's available).
14:53:00 <karsten> thanks and bye! :)
14:53:04 <irl> bye!
14:53:07 <iwakeh> bye, bye!
14:53:09 <karsten> #endmeeting