18:00:48 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor-browser
18:00:48 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jun  4 18:00:48 2018 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:00:48 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:00:54 <GeKo> hi all!
18:01:10 <mcs> hi!
18:01:21 <GeKo> the meeting pad is at https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N (as usual)
18:01:54 <boklm> hi!
18:01:58 <sysrqb> hello
18:02:01 <sukhe> hi
18:03:50 <Guest4166> hello!
18:04:03 <GeKo> mcs: brade: i think i finish the mar testing this week and then we can move forward #26050
18:04:07 <GeKo> boklm: ^
18:04:12 <GeKo> Guest4166: hi!
18:04:18 <arthuredelstein> hi everyone! typing is very slow for me on storm today...
18:04:30 <pospeselr> ahem
18:04:34 <pospeselr> just me
18:04:39 <GeKo> ah, it's been you :)
18:04:41 <mcs> GeKo: OK; sounds good.
18:04:50 <pospeselr> Pidgin likes to un authenticate me at random it seems
18:05:22 <GeKo> sukhe: does the answer boklm gave help?
18:06:25 <GeKo> sysrqb: do we have a write-up somewhere where we are wrt the orfox bug?
18:06:35 <GeKo> i guess this is not supposed to be sekrit?
18:06:37 <sukhe> GeKo: ah yes. that makes sense
18:06:46 <sukhe> unmarking bold. thanks boklm
18:06:53 <GeKo> sukhe: i'll give you an updated patch after the meeting
18:07:15 <GeKo> the windows rust patch did not land before i had my stuff ready for review
18:07:23 <sukhe> GeKo: that's fine. I had actually rebased it on 1.26.0 and there was no difference. it was 1.26.1
18:07:28 <sukhe> :)
18:07:35 <sysrqb> GeKo: unfortunately, no. i don't know what conversations igt0 had with Mozilla
18:07:56 <sysrqb> but I'll ping igt0 and we'll post an update so everyone's on the same page with this issue
18:08:10 <GeKo> do we have a ticket for this issue actually?
18:08:36 <sysrqb> i believe igt0 only opened the buzilla ticket
18:08:46 <sysrqb> nothing on trac
18:08:50 <GeKo> i wonder if that would be a good thing or not
18:08:57 <sysrqb> probably yes
18:09:14 <sysrqb> i can do that after the meeting
18:09:33 <GeKo> i am usually a fan of having especially such tricky issues documented in trac
18:09:45 <GeKo> under the assumption that a bunch of cypherpunk brains might help
18:09:52 <sysrqb> heh, true, true
18:10:04 <sysrqb> especially this bug seems tricky
18:10:10 <GeKo> or someone is getting bored at the weekend and tries to track stuff down
18:10:18 <sysrqb> yeah
18:11:00 <GeKo> okay, so, if igor and you could do that as part of tracking this problem further down that would rock
18:11:28 <sysrqb> sure thing, will do
18:11:42 <GeKo> thanks
18:12:22 <GeKo> pospeselr: okay, the loclization issue
18:13:03 <pospeselr> yes
18:13:17 <arthuredelstein> pospeselr: Would it be possible to place the onion text in a separate xul element so you don't have to mess with the https strings at all?
18:13:30 <GeKo> i think arthur back in #20244 solved it by using an overlay with a separate xul element
18:13:35 <GeKo> yes
18:13:44 <GeKo> (what he just said)
18:15:01 <pospeselr> So I'm not exactly sure how XUL works in relation to the 'Page Info' pane
18:15:24 <pospeselr> looking at your patches, it seems like your just modifying the firefox settings XML directly
18:16:13 <pospeselr> whereas the 'Page Info' window seems to be generated programmatically and doesn't *seem* to have any associated XML anywhere
18:16:35 <pospeselr> though I could be off base here, I'm not terribly familiar with all FF UI machinations
18:16:35 <arthuredelstein> pospeselr: so is this text you want to display in the Page Info "Security" tab?
18:16:39 <pospeselr> yes exactly
18:16:57 <pospeselr> each of those strings are pulled from the localization strings file
18:17:09 <arthuredelstein> Is it the "technical details" section?
18:17:18 <pospeselr> pippki.properties
18:17:19 <pospeselr> yeah
18:18:13 <arthuredelstein> Seems to be this file: https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/browser/base/content/pageinfo/pageInfo.xul
18:18:14 <pospeselr> so the patch currently swaps out the 1st line there with a different printf-style formatted string
18:19:47 <pospeselr> yeah ok, and those fields are set /browser/base/content/pageinfo/security.js
18:20:16 <arthuredelstein> So I guess one possibility would be to create an extra element via XUL overlay.
18:20:29 <arthuredelstein> It would be a child of  <vbox id="security-technical-box" flex="1">
18:21:54 <pospeselr> so we'd need to hide the "security-technical-longform1" description and replace it with our own
18:21:54 <arthuredelstein> We can discuss after the meeting more though if that would be useful
18:22:01 <pospeselr> yeah ok taht would be great
18:22:16 <GeKo> sounds good
18:23:57 <GeKo> okay, anything else before moving to the disussion part?
18:25:06 <GeKo> it seems "no"
18:25:11 <GeKo> so, discussion time
18:25:27 <GeKo> do we want to use "status: " as well?
18:25:49 <sukhe> I have seen people use it but I am not sure what it is?
18:25:58 <sysrqb> yeah. also, had nick talked about this in the vegas team meetings?
18:26:05 <sysrqb> as in, has this been useful for them?
18:26:22 <GeKo> no, not in the vegas team meetings
18:26:26 <sysrqb> it seems nice for tracking progress during the week
18:26:29 <sysrqb> okay
18:26:46 <GeKo> i think it has been part of the plan to keep everyone better informed what team members are working on
18:27:02 <sysrqb> yes, thats my understanding, too
18:27:12 <sysrqb> i'm not sure if that is a good fit for this team, though
18:27:17 <sukhe> is it just saying "/me status: " or is there more? :)
18:27:25 <sysrqb> that seems like it
18:27:28 <GeKo> and see it earlier if folks get distracted/don't cope with a problem
18:27:42 <GeKo> sukhe: that's it, yes
18:27:49 <GeKo> the rule is at least once a day
18:27:57 * antonela likes the idea :)
18:28:24 <antonela> should it be on -internal or -dev?
18:28:46 <sysrqb> the network team uses tor-dev
18:28:52 <antonela> yep
18:29:02 <sysrqb> i think there's a bot that catches all status udates
18:29:11 <GeKo> yes
18:29:12 <sysrqb> (i don't know if/where it's logged, though)
18:29:39 <GeKo> so, i don't have a strong opinion on that
18:29:53 <sukhe> that could be useful
18:29:56 <dmr> +1 for the "/me status: <msg>" if more people want to do it :)
18:30:01 <GeKo> but if we use that, too, we should ask the network team folks first to not mess with their bot
18:30:04 <mcs> Does the network team use the data for other purposes, e.g., a monthly status report? Or just to keep each other informed daiily?
18:30:08 <sukhe> maybe we can start on a voluntary basis and see if it catches on?
18:30:30 <GeKo> mcs: i am not aware of other purposes
18:30:34 <mcs> Yes, I would not want to mess up their data collector.
18:30:35 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes, agreed - can you bring this up at the next vegas meeting?
18:30:35 <mcs> OK
18:30:36 * GeKo summons an isabela
18:30:39 <dmr> GeKo: I believe that the bot/highlight/filter/whatnot that the network team has, by default, only does so for those on the network team
18:30:47 <sysrqb> ah, or isa :)
18:30:47 <GeKo> sysrqb: sure
18:31:30 <GeKo> okay, either way. we'll have this sorted out by next week and can then start from that
18:31:37 <sysrqb> yeah
18:31:44 <sysrqb> sounds good, thanks
18:31:54 <GeKo> so, the website
18:31:55 <dmr> (fwiw, I've been doing the "/me status: " for a month and no one has told me not to)
18:32:07 <GeKo> yeah
18:32:43 <GeKo> sysrqb: it's been worked on but i don't know any eta
18:33:11 <boklm> it seems this irssi script can use the status updates: https://github.com/ahf/onion_status
18:33:14 * GeKo tries again to summon isabela
18:33:19 <sysrqb> okay, i'm curious about its progress, in general, but also i started thinking about having a special TBA "Learn More" landing page
18:33:29 <sysrqb> but this isn't something we need for the first or second alpha
18:33:35 <sysrqb> just a thought
18:33:52 <GeKo> yes, that's a good idea and we should have such a page
18:34:26 <sysrqb> boklm: ah, neat, thanks
18:34:35 <sysrqb> GeKo: yeah, i'll open a ticket so we don't forget
18:34:45 <GeKo> thx
18:36:21 <GeKo> i guess a fraction of the tor browser team will be at the all hands meeting next week
18:36:31 <GeKo> and not at this meeting
18:36:47 <pospeselr> true
18:37:07 <GeKo> it would be nice if the status updates would be available, though
18:37:28 <GeKo> so all the other folks can see what was worked on and get on the same page
18:37:39 <arthuredelstein> will do
18:37:51 <sukhe> noted
18:37:53 <GeKo> thanks.
18:38:03 <GeKo> so, that's all i guess we have for today?
18:38:10 <GeKo> or is there anything else?
18:39:15 <GeKo> okay, thanks then, everyone! *baf*
18:39:18 <GeKo> #endmeeting