17:59:08 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor browser
17:59:08 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jun 26 17:59:08 2018 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:59:08 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:59:14 <GeKo> hi everyone!
17:59:15 <mcs> hi everyone
17:59:18 <mcs> ha
17:59:19 <pospeselr> hi!
17:59:36 <sysrqb> o/
17:59:38 <GeKo> so, a somehat unusual meeting time
17:59:41 <arthuredelstein> hi everyone
17:59:46 <tjr> Hi /types furiously
17:59:46 <GeKo> let's see who is here today
17:59:48 <igt0> !!
17:59:59 <GeKo> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N is the pad as usual
18:00:10 <GeKo> please add your items if you have not done so yet
18:00:50 <boklm> hi!
18:02:03 <sisbell> hello
18:03:49 <GeKo> pospeselr: do you plan to have a look at possible fixups for #26309 as well this week?
18:03:54 <GeKo> err
18:03:57 <pospeselr> yeah i have a patch for that
18:03:57 <GeKo> #26039
18:04:05 <GeKo> okay, cool
18:04:21 <pospeselr> just getting rid of extensions-overrides altogether and dumping to a temp file to get squashed into 000-tor-browser.js
18:04:32 <GeKo> kk
18:04:46 <pospeselr> webextension version of noscript and httpseverywhere are completely different from the old ones so those options don't apply at all (even if webextensiosn could read prefs)
18:05:03 <GeKo> yeah, that's what i thought
18:05:40 <GeKo> boklm: i am fine if you want to look at #26323 but we need to have the test environments set up first
18:05:51 <GeKo> i don't want to fly blind again as we did last time
18:06:11 <boklm> ok
18:06:14 <GeKo> and i plan to look into #26475, so no need to pick that up
18:06:20 <boklm> ok
18:06:27 <GeKo> oh, yes, please the binutils bugs
18:06:48 <GeKo> i have some hope that we get that sorted out quickly with the help of the original patch author
18:07:26 <GeKo> it might help with mozilla's bug 1470772 as well in case this is fixed in newer binutils
18:09:23 <GeKo> tjr: i put sukhe on the moizlla bug as he asked to for something to work on
18:09:49 <GeKo> if you really want to look at it by yourself let me know and i'll find something else for him to do
18:10:01 <GeKo> that said, you are up with your item
18:10:25 <tjr> I'm happy to have him look at it. My plan was to look at the crash in windbg and see if it was fixable/sensible
18:10:46 <tjr> I bet he's going to go at it a different way, so maybe we can both work on it and see who comes up with more information :)
18:10:59 <GeKo> fine with me, please coordinate?
18:11:13 <tjr> kk
18:11:48 <tjr> My windows x86 question is for you - it looked like the 8.0a9 builds had win32 builds?  Are we keeping Windows x86 around?
18:12:09 <GeKo> for now i think so
18:12:25 <GeKo> does mozilla have data about the percentage for 32bit only windows?
18:12:44 <GeKo> in general we support what mozilla supports
18:13:04 <GeKo> at least that's the policy we have for now
18:14:03 <tjr> apparently 18% of people are on 32 bit but that isn't windows only. https://hardware.metrics.mozilla.com/
18:14:11 * mcs was not seeing any IRC traffic for a little while
18:14:40 <tjr> oh wait "this metric likely undercounts non-Windows OSs, seeing as it relies on the environment.system.isWow64"
18:15:01 <tjr> so yea i guess x86 windows is important
18:15:21 <tjr> didn't think anything newer than windoes 8 supported x86 though....
18:15:38 <tjr> Okay; anyway, I'll keep that in mind when we're adding jobs
18:15:43 * tjr is done
18:16:11 <GeKo> thanks
18:16:46 <GeKo> hrm, no arthur
18:17:53 <GeKo> mcs: if you could make a first estimation on the severity of the issues you found during review that would help as well
18:18:17 <sysrqb> (it seems arthur was lost in the netslit)
18:18:23 <mcs> GeKo: Makes sense. We will try.
18:18:23 <GeKo> we should get the patching going soon i guess (apart from fixing all the breakage we get reported)
18:18:24 <GeKo> yes
18:19:24 <GeKo> sysrqb: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking#AddingNewDefaultBridges
18:19:50 <GeKo> i asked dcf to write this up and he did so during the montreal meeting
18:19:58 <GeKo> that's all we have right now
18:20:42 <sysrqb> GeKo: Oh, great, thanks
18:20:43 <GeKo> sysrqb: re the rustconf thing, sounds good to me
18:21:16 <sysrqb> i wonder if pospeselr will be interested, too
18:21:24 <GeKo> i am not sure yet what we need from the browser side apart from the build related issues
18:21:26 <sysrqb> but he was lost, too
18:21:30 * arthuredelstein is back from a weird irc zombie state -- may have missed messages
18:21:39 <GeKo> wb!
18:22:01 <GeKo> sysrqb: but there might defnitely be opportunities in going to it
18:22:14 <arthuredelstein> :)
18:22:29 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: i was only about to ask you about the state of your notes on the pad :)
18:22:37 <sysrqb> i know the network team has learned a lot from their interactions with rust people
18:22:52 <GeKo> yeah
18:22:55 <sysrqb> and having more rust knowldge on this team may be helpful
18:23:12 <sysrqb> for build and patching
18:23:20 <sysrqb> as more things are rewritten in rust
18:23:29 <GeKo> that's for sure although this is somewhat orthogonal to going to the conference i guess
18:23:39 <sysrqb> yes
18:23:45 <GeKo> anyways, yes, please go if you want to
18:23:54 <sysrqb> okay, thanks
18:24:22 <arthuredelstein> GeKo: My notes are more or less stable I think :) Any questions about them?
18:24:39 <arthuredelstein> Hoping my notes have synced properly
18:28:13 <mcs> arthuredelstein: I added a response r.e. your question about “headless” Tor Launcher.
18:28:32 <arthuredelstein> got it. thank you!
18:29:40 <arthuredelstein> mcs: I suspect the two issues are related, but not sure
18:29:59 <mcs> You may be correct. There are definitely some weird things happening.
18:32:09 <mcs> netsplit == no fun
18:34:09 <brade> arthuredelstein: regarding #26506, what version of NoScript are you testing with? shipping version?
18:36:02 <arthuredelstein> brade: initially the shipping version, but then I also testing with earlier versions and found that the problem went away for and earlier
18:36:31 <arthuredelstein> so the diff posted in comment:5 might offer a clue
18:36:42 <brade> arthuredelstein: I noticed several things in that diff that looked like typos to me
18:37:31 <arthuredelstein> yikes. I wonder if they are still present in the current version
18:37:52 <brade> I haven’t had a chance to check
18:38:16 <brade> plus, I’m not really familiar with the code so maybe they aren’t “typos”
18:38:49 <arthuredelstein> at some point we should do some kind of audit for the new NoScript. Do we have a ticket for this already?
18:38:59 <brade> not to my knowledge
18:39:27 <arthuredelstein> unfortunately there is a dearth of comments and no up-to-date git mirror
18:42:39 <sysrqb> did we lose GeKo?
18:42:52 <brade> yes
18:43:09 <arthuredelstein> I opened #26513 as a reminder
18:43:34 <brade> thanks!
18:45:16 <arthuredelstein> Looks like we don't have boklm either so it's hard to talk about the alpha release
18:47:54 <antonela> funky oftc
18:47:57 <brade> The Windows alpha release seems particularly weak; not sure why it’s just Windows
18:48:23 <tjr> pospeselr: I mentioned a bunch of UI bugs in the tor-qa thread; but I think they are all dupes of issues you have on your radar already
18:48:48 <pospeselr> related to the onion icon?
18:48:53 <mcs> brade: By “weak” you mean it is not very good? Many issues?
18:49:27 <tjr> pospeselr: And cert errors
18:49:31 <brade> yes, there are many issues and many seem to be windows-only
18:49:43 <pospeselr> interesting
18:50:36 <arthuredelstein> tjr: The extra "New Prviate Window" item in the hamburger menu you mentioned is hidden by my proposed patch in #26321.
18:50:57 <tjr> neat!
18:53:49 <tjr> I have made contact with GeKo over on mozilla's irc network
18:53:59 <tjr> he can't reconnected to oftc
18:54:00 <tjr> he said he emailed tbb-dev
18:54:44 <pospeselr> he did
18:54:46 <pospeselr> as did boklm
18:54:58 <pospeselr> no europeans allowed on oftc for the time being it would seem :p
18:55:41 <tjr> " so, feel free to meet without me or just close the meeting and wait for me to shut down the tor-meeting logging :)"
18:56:12 <arthuredelstein> do we have anything more we should discuss at the moment?
18:56:22 <brade> when will we meet next?
18:56:23 <sysrqb> yeah, i think the person who starts meet-bot must stop it, too
18:56:42 <mcs> Regarding the alpha release, I think it makes sense for everyone to work on tickets and boklm and GeKo can decide whether to respin to pick up fixes or ship as-is.
18:56:55 <sysrqb> i'm guessing we'll need to discuss the next meeting over mail
18:57:03 <sysrqb> or another quick team irc meeting
18:57:55 <brade> actually it is “meetings” on storm… I assume next week is a US holiday so GeKo is asking about it and the following week GeKo is out
18:58:10 <arthuredelstein> Quick poll: anyone here who can't meet on July 2 (next Monday)?
18:58:23 <pospeselr> nope
18:58:25 <brade> Since the US holiday is on Wednesday, Monday should work (maybe)
18:58:44 <pospeselr> I mean i can meet
18:59:01 <sysrqb> i can
18:59:04 <arthuredelstein> Yeah, I shouldn't have asked the question in the negative :)
18:59:07 <brade> My plans for next week are not firm but I will try to be available for Monay’s meeting
18:59:27 <brade> Monday’s
18:59:58 <brade> so let’s plan to meet and then lock down subsequent dates at that meeting
19:00:09 <arthuredelstein> OK! At least July 2 sounds plausible and we can see what GeKo and boklm can do
19:00:25 <mcs> or discuss via email if GeKo wants to make sure plans are in place soon for when he is out
19:00:54 <sysrqb> yeah, sounds good
19:01:58 <arthuredelstein> OK, anything else before we wrap?
19:01:59 <brade> arthuredelstein: baf?
19:02:15 <pospeselr> yes baf
19:02:22 <arthuredelstein> let's see how this thing works: *baf*
19:02:40 <sysrqb> :)
19:02:45 <arthuredelstein> *baf* *baf* *baf*
19:02:49 <arthuredelstein> highly satisfying
19:03:09 <mcs> Just be careful what you say; the bot is still listening!
19:03:18 <pospeselr> or is it?
19:03:20 <pospeselr> #endmeeting
19:03:23 <pospeselr> ....
19:03:29 <pospeselr> welp
19:03:30 <sysrqb> you don't have the power
19:03:43 <pospeselr> *cough*
19:04:14 * sysrqb slowing walks away...
20:28:44 * sysrqb reminds GeKo to *baf* the meeting
20:55:55 <GeKo> #endmeeting