13:57:27 <emmapeel> #startmeeting TBA localization
13:57:27 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jul 17 13:57:27 2018 UTC.  The chair is emmapeel. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
13:57:27 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
13:57:39 <sysrqb> hi!
13:58:13 <emmapeel> hello comrades! so, did you read my mail?
13:58:55 <sysrqb> yep, and it has good questions
13:59:04 <igt0> yep!
13:59:12 <sysrqb> do you know if the Orfox Google Play page is currently translated?
13:59:20 <emmapeel> i am just starting as localization coordinator and a bit lost regarding TBA in particular, so i called the meeting but i have not much to say than what was in the email
13:59:33 <sysrqb> :)
13:59:34 <emmapeel> sysrqb: i think so
13:59:36 <sysrqb> good idea
13:59:56 <sysrqb> hrm, okay
14:00:09 <sysrqb> i wonder where those translations are done
14:00:21 <sysrqb> because they're not in the transifex repo, right?
14:00:27 <emmapeel> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.guardianproject.orfox&hl=es_ES invites you to translate in google translate
14:00:50 <sysrqb> ahhhh, okay. so only automated/machine translation
14:01:36 <emmapeel> yeah. i am looking for the repo, the XLIFF file had several languages but i dont remember if it was orbot or orfox
14:02:08 <emmapeel> what i understood from _hc is that the play store picks up the trnaslation from the repo
14:03:00 <emmapeel> https://github.com/guardianproject/Orfox/tree/master/description this is the file
14:04:45 <GeKo> emmapeel: how would that work if we used transifex?
14:05:35 <igt0> there are lot of known names here: https://github.com/fastlane/fastlane/issues/9520
14:06:07 <emmapeel> GeKo: there is majus, the translation server, that will pull your repo and merge it with the new translations in transifex through a transifex upgrader script
14:06:33 <emmapeel> yes, _hc said he was getting some grant to make this easier
14:07:41 <emmapeel> and that he was trying and liking fastlane and that was the better approach  (fastlane).
14:07:49 <igt0> and more info: https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/1525
14:07:51 <igt0> "There are two major tools for managing the localized files for Google Play: Fastlane Supply and Triple-T Gradle Play Publisher"
14:10:26 <emmapeel> transifex topic: so, in transifex there will be a new component called TBA or something, and the translations bot will pick up the transifex translations. i think you should then merge them
14:11:07 <GeKo> i wonder whether we'd need that at all for tba
14:11:16 <emmapeel> they will be like https://gitweb.torproject.org/translation.git/tree/?h=exoneratorproperties_completed
14:11:27 <GeKo> sysrqb: igt0: how are localized builds distributed right now?
14:11:37 <GeKo> i guess there are no lang packs included?
14:12:17 <igt0> yeah, there aren't localized builds.
14:12:39 <GeKo> so we only have en-US orfox and tba, okay
14:13:36 <GeKo> how do we plan to localize tba?
14:14:19 <GeKo> because if it will be done the same way as for desktop then we don't need strings translated for the app
14:14:42 <emmapeel> AFAIK  we should aim for our Tier-1 languages, right? https://storm.torproject.org/shared/o7Rh2S9bsMNN7Eh7C9cKaqxR371pR1AmpRxbu--nC34
14:14:52 <GeKo> yes
14:15:38 <emmapeel> GeKo: there is the app, and the description on the store: two translations
14:15:47 <GeKo> yes
14:15:52 <sysrqb> right, we shouldn't need new translations for the app (except a few new strings)
14:16:27 <sysrqb> but maybe we can add those into the torbrowser tranifex file
14:16:41 <GeKo> there is none
14:16:56 <sysrqb> oh, right, only torauncher and torbutton. hrmm
14:17:05 <sysrqb> *launcher
14:17:05 <emmapeel> i can create one as soon as you give me some i18n file... .pot or XLIFF
14:17:21 <emmapeel> it looks like fastlane makes XLIFF
14:17:40 <emmapeel> s/makes/takes
14:18:12 <sysrqb> for the play store, the first step will be deciding what we want it to say
14:18:32 <sysrqb> i guess that'll be decided along with isa and anto
14:18:50 <emmapeel> i think stephw was writing a text for the store
14:19:00 <sysrqb> ah, okay
14:19:35 <GeKo> i don't have a strong preference for the store, i guess what best works in the foreseeable future?
14:20:00 <GeKo> maybe coordinating with _hc would be smart here
14:20:26 <emmapeel> i have no idea about paystore but siding with _hc looks like a great idea to me
14:20:48 <emmapeel> he has been looking onto this a lot and is very thorough with open source etc
14:21:09 <GeKo> yup
14:21:26 <GeKo> emmapeel: i guess including him into the conversation you started would help here
14:21:31 <GeKo> for the app i am not sure
14:21:56 <GeKo> because that depends on how we set up the localization for mobible, i.e. how the localized versions are distributed
14:22:04 <emmapeel> we were talking abit about this in #tor-mobile with _hc
14:22:25 <emmapeel> (i mean the fastlane--- localization for mobile no idea)
14:22:26 <GeKo> how is that done for other apps, say vanilla fennec?
14:23:05 <emmapeel> a lot of the f-droid apps, and fdroid itself, is translated in weblate
14:23:17 <emmapeel> https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/f-droid/fdroiddata/es/?type=all
14:24:03 <igt0> GeKo, http://160.twinql.com/building-and-testing-multi-locale-firefox-for-android/
14:27:23 <GeKo> so this is still vaporware, great
14:28:32 <sysrqb> Firefox Fennec does support multiple languages
14:28:46 <sysrqb> changeable in the app's Settings menu
14:28:54 <sysrqb> i think we'll need to investigate how that works
14:29:01 <GeKo> interesting, yes
14:29:09 <sysrqb> Orfox and TBA only have English available
14:29:20 <igt0> and do we want it for alpha?
14:29:26 <GeKo> and once this is figured out we can think about how we do the translation thing best
14:29:50 <GeKo> not for the first as the deadline is too tight
14:29:55 <GeKo> but for some later alpha, yes
14:30:39 <GeKo> i am fine reconsidering the localization for tor browser for desktop as well while we are at it
14:30:47 <emmapeel> what about the store text, could we look onto localizing it?
14:30:53 <emmapeel> for the alpha?
14:30:55 <GeKo> to get one process that is usable for all platforms
14:31:17 <GeKo> emmapeel: sounds good to me
14:31:19 <antonela> emmapeel, i think yes, isabela?
14:31:45 <isabela> oi
14:31:56 <isabela> i need to read the backlog to understand the question
14:31:57 <isabela> hehehe
14:31:58 <GeKo> sysrqb: igt0: the cliqz people told me that they essentially follow the mozilla way of repackaing the app to avoid shipping language packs
14:32:12 <GeKo> and that this is not very hard to do
14:32:20 <antonela> isa, sorry, quick one, should playstore content be localizated?
14:32:20 <sysrqb> i see in Google Play we can manually add translations for specific language, i wonder if there's an API available to automatically updating translations
14:32:21 <isabela> the question is if we want the playstore text to be translated?
14:32:24 <isabela> yes
14:32:26 <isabela> we do
14:32:26 <isabela> :)
14:32:43 <GeKo> *repackaging
14:32:45 <antonela> isabela cool, we thought the same ha
14:32:59 <isabela> ;)
14:33:01 <sysrqb> GeKo: great, sounds good
14:33:35 <emmapeel> isabela: yes, but i was wondering if the devs have time to look onto the store translations to be ready for the alpha...
14:34:00 <isabela> ah o
14:34:01 <isabela> ok
14:34:23 <isabela> question
14:34:31 <GeKo> emmapeel: i think we could do that
14:34:51 <igt0> in the worst case, anyone with access to the play store can upload them, manually.
14:34:52 <isabela> if we do have the apk translated how one can get their language version on playstore without going to a /pt/ playstore page
14:34:55 <isabela> ?
14:35:07 <isabela> i can do that
14:35:18 <isabela> i have access to all stuff under torproject at the play store
14:35:19 <isabela> :)
14:35:25 <isabela> orfox, ooni, orbot
14:35:31 <isabela> and soon tba
14:38:05 <emmapeel> isabela: ok, so you can look onto the translation thing? maybe if you add a couple of languages we can see how the file structure is, and add the other languages to our repo directly...
14:38:25 <isabela> sure
14:38:31 <isabela> i will investigate
14:38:36 <sysrqb> igt0: it seems there is an API, so we may be able to automate it - or at least write a script for updating it
14:38:48 <sysrqb> also isa
14:38:58 <isabela> oi
14:39:12 <isabela> nice
14:39:17 <sysrqb> you already have too much to do, no reason for adding more manual work :)
14:39:25 <isabela> btw
14:39:26 <emmapeel> if there is an API i can look to hook up the translations bot to it
14:39:29 <GeKo> nathan pointed to https://docs.fastlane.tools/getting-started/android/setup/
14:39:38 <isabela> i should give tba ppl access to this playstore thing
14:39:48 <sysrqb> yes please
14:39:52 <isabela> one dola
14:39:59 <isabela> gimme a google account
14:40:03 <sysrqb> lol
14:40:15 <emmapeel> ohmy
14:40:21 <isabela> haha
14:40:41 <n8fr8> isabela: let me know if i can help there, or need to do anything more on giving you all the admin rights you need, isabela.
14:40:54 <n8fr8> obv, opsec on any google account that has this power should be strong
14:41:02 <isabela> n8fr8: will do! thanks
14:41:13 <n8fr8> (well updating descriptions isn't such a big deal, but updating APKs of course is!)
14:41:24 <emmapeel> (i already had to go around asking for a normal android with play store....)
14:42:14 <GeKo> so, do we have a  plan moving forward?
14:42:16 <sysrqb> heh/
14:42:38 <GeKo> sysrqb: i guess for the app side we should open a ticket and see how the multi-locale fennec is working?
14:42:39 <sysrqb> i guess one remaining question is who will look at fastlane?
14:42:53 <sysrqb> should it be igt0/me or emmapeel or ...?
14:43:03 <sysrqb> GeKo: yeah, i'll open that ticket
14:43:08 <GeKo> thx
14:43:23 <GeKo> emmapeel: do you feel like looking into fastlane?
14:44:19 <sysrqb> if it is more developer-specific, then i can open another ticket for that and igt0/I can try setting it up
14:45:08 <emmapeel> i can have a look if you think it is cool... i thought that devs will want to look onto it because is going to mess with their code but well
14:45:35 <emmapeel> i think it is more dev-specific to be honest
14:45:47 <GeKo> k
14:46:06 <GeKo> sysrqb: i think you plan looks better then
14:46:33 <emmapeel> once yu decide on a solution that is good, i can maintain the translations, but fastlane implies to change how the apk gets built and all
14:46:51 <GeKo> yeah, seems so
14:47:01 <GeKo> and i actually wonder whether we want that
14:47:15 <sysrqb> okay, ticket #2
14:47:15 <GeKo> (but that might be something to discuss for the ticket)
14:47:42 <emmapeel> _hc said that you can only use the file structure fastlane creates, no need to use it
14:47:45 <sysrqb> i don't see us having time within the next two weeks for trying this
14:48:06 <GeKo> yep
14:48:35 <emmapeel> https://f-droid.org/en/docs/Translation_and_Localization/ : If the upstream project’s source repo includes app descriptions, then those will be automatically included as long as they use the supported layouts.
14:48:48 <emmapeel> supported layouts: https://f-droid.org/en/docs/All_About_Descriptions_Graphics_and_Screenshots/
14:49:06 <emmapeel> and the playstore is similar
14:50:25 <sysrqb> okay we can investigate this further and find a solution that works for all of us
14:50:48 <emmapeel> yeah. shall we meet in one week and do a little update?
14:50:55 <antonela> so, emmapeel could we have screenshots per locale?
14:51:06 <sysrqb> i think translating the good play description depends on when that text is ready and when we can ubit it to transifex for translating
14:51:13 <isabela> (people we can also have another release (after this one) with the translations) if that is too much to do in 2 weeks
14:51:16 <isabela> :)
14:51:19 <isabela> just saying
14:51:24 <emmapeel> antonela, we will have to wait for next alpha at least for localized screenshots i think...
14:51:35 <antonela> emmapeel, perfect
14:51:48 <emmapeel> this alpha apk will not be localized
14:51:53 <isabela> cool
14:52:22 <sysrqb> i think fastlane actually creates screenshots with localization, so that should be "easy"
14:52:28 <emmapeel> sysrqb: i can look out for the text and let you know when is ready
14:52:38 <sysrqb> emmapeel: cool, thanks
14:53:42 <GeKo> emmapeel: fine with me for doing another sync in about one week
14:53:49 <emmapeel> sysrqb: it is currently in review, so is almost done: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c_aPTR2YuwyFcS2VAIS-lbL5-nULszjm2l7BNDlehcY/edit#
14:54:04 <sysrqb> thanks
14:54:20 <sysrqb> and meeting in one week sounds good to me
14:55:38 <emmapeel> ok then! Tuesday 24 at 14 UTC
14:55:51 <emmapeel> OMG we are almost in the hour! i said a short meeting!
14:56:00 <emmapeel> #end meeting
14:56:04 <emmapeel> #end meeting
14:56:05 <sysrqb> :)
14:56:11 <emmapeel> #endmeeting