14:29:27 <karsten> #startmeeting metrics team
14:29:27 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu Aug  2 14:29:27 2018 UTC.  The chair is karsten. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:29:27 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:29:29 <karsten> hi!
14:29:40 <irl> hi!
14:29:47 <karsten> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/5h1Goax5eNusxjXJ_Ty5Wl7hFR1uqCReUiN8xdlBG8T <- agenda pad
14:29:57 <karsten> do you have any other topics to add?
14:30:21 <irl> i don't think i have any other topics
14:30:34 <karsten> okay.
14:30:38 <karsten> * July report draft (karsten)
14:30:45 <karsten> I added a draft to the pad.
14:31:14 <karsten> do you want to go over that draft now/later and add anything that's missing?
14:31:35 <irl> there are definitely relay search things missing
14:31:51 <karsten> yes, there's just the one about the metrics-web integration.
14:32:06 <irl> also some metrics-bot changes
14:32:07 <karsten> I put that at the end, because that part is not as user visible.
14:32:27 <karsten> okay, can you add those, maybe before the onionoo version?
14:32:27 <irl> it would probably take a good 15 minutes for me to go through and work out which things should go in
14:32:46 <karsten> sounds good.
14:32:56 <irl> i can do this after the meeting before the end of the day
14:33:01 <irl> unless you wanted it sooner
14:33:07 <karsten> sure, that's perfectly fine.
14:33:10 <irl> ok cool
14:33:21 <karsten> if I can send it out tomorrow afternoon, that would be good.
14:33:28 <irl> yep, easily done for then
14:33:32 <karsten> (though mostly to strike it from the list.)
14:33:43 <karsten> alright, next one:
14:33:44 <karsten> * Roadmap update (karsten)
14:33:57 <karsten> I put the remaining roadmap items on the pad, too,
14:34:05 <karsten> together with suggestions for changing them now.
14:34:38 <karsten> is that something you'd want to look at after the meeting, too, or should we discuss this now?
14:34:48 <irl> we can go through these now
14:34:54 <karsten> ok.
14:35:09 <karsten> 4. Make sure that each service has at least two operators (M; 30% done)
14:35:21 <karsten> I wonder which remain...
14:35:28 <karsten> metrics-web, exonerator,
14:35:38 <karsten> but also metrics-bot.
14:35:47 <irl> i don't know much about either of metrics-web or exonerator
14:36:02 <irl> metrics-bot is just running a jar file in a tmux session
14:36:13 <irl> i really need to get a tpo host for that
14:36:19 <karsten> ok.
14:36:28 <karsten> so, I'm not sure how urgent this is.
14:36:33 <karsten> collector is important.
14:36:38 <karsten> to have 2 operators.
14:36:40 <karsten> onionoo, too.
14:37:20 <karsten> so, anyway, maybe we don't have to do this.
14:37:24 <karsten> by end of september, that is.
14:37:30 <karsten> but in any case, no progress since last time.
14:37:34 <irl> so, deb.tpo has only one maintainer
14:37:50 <irl> at least collector and onionoo are doing better than deb.tpo
14:37:56 <karsten> heh
14:38:16 <karsten> ok.
14:38:22 <karsten> 6. Provide metrics timeline events as both a table on Tor Metrics pages and as an RSS/Atom feed that is also syndicated via Twitter to increase community engagement (M; 60% done)
14:38:30 <irl> 6 is probably up to 80% now, there is a huginn service that is generating the tweets but i'd like to run it for a while before actually publishing them
14:38:42 <irl> hiro is helping with this
14:38:48 <irl> (she's away this week i think)
14:38:55 <karsten> great! (that she's helping.)
14:39:07 <karsten> okay, cool, changed to 80%.
14:39:15 <karsten> 19. Extend Onionoo to use JNDI for rDNS lookups (M; 80% done)
14:39:22 <karsten> merged. not yet released.
14:39:39 <karsten> (as of 15 minutes ago)
14:39:54 <irl> did the lookups work better for you when you tested?
14:39:59 <karsten> oh, they did!
14:40:06 <karsten> well, I looked at the counts.
14:40:10 <irl> stupid thread safety
14:40:12 <karsten> those were much better.
14:40:18 <karsten> indeed.
14:40:33 <karsten> speaking of,
14:40:41 <karsten> how's tomorrow for a new release?
14:40:53 <irl> tomorrow is good
14:41:16 <irl> i've mostly been working later and not working for the 3-4 hours in the middle of the day when it's hottest
14:41:17 <karsten> okay. I'll prepare the m-web patch and the pre-release tarball then.
14:41:26 <karsten> understandable!
14:42:10 <karsten> 10. Add OONI graphs to Tor Metrics based on pre-aggregated data from vanilla Tor test and bridge reachability test (M; 40% done)
14:42:43 <irl> i had hoped to make more progress on this but i've been distracted by smaller things that come along
14:43:00 <karsten> but you did make progress there.
14:43:00 <irl> i'm primed to move this forward but i don't think i actually have moved it yet
14:43:19 <karsten> just saying, I'm not exactly sure when we said it's at 40%.
14:43:23 <karsten> is that still accurate?
14:43:34 <karsten> (this is mainly for our own planning.)
14:43:46 <irl> we could say 45% of the task is done
14:43:55 <karsten> changed.
14:44:02 <karsten> 13. Document aggregated statistics files better (Sponsor 13) (8/5 L; 50% of 80% done)
14:44:05 <irl> 10% remains for the python code to run on labs.ooni and 45% for the R and java
14:44:08 <karsten> this one has moved a lot.
14:44:21 <karsten> sounds good.
14:44:23 <irl> ooh yay (:
14:44:39 <karsten> yes, I even told isabela that we can invoice for this one now.
14:44:50 <karsten> the remaining work is like fixing bugs as they come along.
14:45:01 <karsten> it's about time to get this out of my head.
14:45:07 <karsten> and move to the other deliverable there.
14:45:13 <irl> ok cool
14:45:36 <karsten> so, I'd still say 80%, because of those possible revisions that we need to do.
14:45:43 <karsten> and the suggested changes to CSV files and all that.
14:45:53 <karsten> it's still some work, but it's a lot less than before.
14:46:11 <karsten> we might finish this one by end of september, though.
14:46:20 <karsten> and make less progress on the other L task.
14:46:44 <karsten> 14. Put external research data on the website, including Rob's phantomtrain OnionPerf data and Yixin's BGP monitoring data (M; 30% done)
14:47:02 <karsten> I didn't work on that one.
14:47:18 <karsten> 16. Support PrivCount development and integrate its data as successor to statistics reported by relays and bridges (M; 80% done)
14:47:35 <karsten> we didn't do anything here, but there have not been any requests, either.
14:47:41 <karsten> so, moving to 85%.
14:47:46 <irl> i did answer some privcount questions recently
14:47:47 <karsten> 17. Help the Core Tor and Tor Browser teams with ongoing measurements (M; 80% done)
14:47:50 <karsten> same here.
14:47:51 <karsten> oh, nice.
14:48:03 <karsten> where?
14:48:13 <irl> it was about how work is split for implementation
14:48:30 <irl> to move forward on v3 onion service metrics
14:48:37 <karsten> was that on trac?
14:48:46 <irl> i think irc
14:48:49 <karsten> ok.
14:49:07 <irl> i mean, it's still that we don't need to do anything yet
14:49:12 <karsten> right.
14:49:18 <irl> but we should be aware that we are getting closer to needing to do things
14:49:33 <karsten> okay.
14:49:46 <karsten> we'll probably discuss that in mexico.
14:49:55 <irl> yep
14:49:56 <karsten> unless you mean sooner?
14:50:01 <irl> i don't think sooner
14:50:03 <karsten> ok.
14:50:15 <karsten> alright, and the last one:
14:50:16 <karsten> 18. Document the Tor Metrics system/pipeline, including explicitly writing down our requirements (Sponsor 13) (4/5 L; 10% of 80% done)
14:50:28 <karsten> as written on the pad, no progress other than learning more about Spring and making personal notes
14:50:45 <karsten> this deliverable can be fun.
14:51:09 <irl> i don't think i know where this deliverable is
14:51:10 <karsten> but at the moment there is no visible progress.
14:51:30 <karsten> iwakeh wrote down some ideas, I have some more local text files with notes.
14:51:36 <karsten> it's really at the beginning.
14:51:40 <irl> ah ok
14:51:48 <karsten> not even in shape for sharing.
14:52:11 <karsten> I should probably organize things a bit more and share them well in advance mexico.
14:52:18 <karsten> this is also something that we should discuss there.
14:52:27 <irl> ok
14:52:42 <karsten> but again, the other sponsor deliverable was a bit in the way.
14:52:53 <karsten> okay, I think that's all items.
14:53:06 <karsten> let me update the page after this meeting.
14:53:19 <karsten> and prepare the onionoo release tonight/tomorrow morning.
14:53:38 <karsten> do we have anything else for today?
14:53:50 <irl> nothing more from me
14:54:10 <karsten> okay, great! good meeting, as usual. thanks! and bye. :)
14:54:18 <irl> (:
14:54:53 <karsten> #endmeeting