17:59:12 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor-browser
17:59:12 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Aug 27 17:59:12 2018 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:59:12 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:59:18 <sysrqb> o/
17:59:26 <GeKo> alright! showtime
17:59:29 <sukhe> hi!
17:59:33 <mcs> hi
17:59:38 <igt0> howdy!
17:59:40 <boklm> hi!
17:59:43 <GeKo> as usual we have our meeting pad at https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N
18:00:05 <GeKo> please enter your items and mark the ones to discuss bold
18:03:02 <sisbell> hello
18:04:12 <GeKo> okay, let's get started
18:05:27 <GeKo> so tb8 release
18:06:25 <GeKo> my current plan is to have everything ready for building by wed evening european time
18:06:35 <GeKo> this means essentially 2 days from now
18:07:06 <GeKo> sukhe: could you come up with a patch for activating the signature check for lang packs again?
18:07:28 <GeKo> so, this means as well as i need help with reviews
18:07:46 <sukhe> GeKo: the patch is ready but I didn't submit it. doing that now!
18:08:30 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: could you have  a second opinion on #27283 as it touches fpi of permissions?
18:09:40 <GeKo> pospeselr: could you have a look at #27221?
18:10:00 <arthuredelstein> GeKo: yes. it looks like there is a similar issue with #26670
18:10:25 <GeKo> then i plan to go over the open ff60-esr tickets and plan to do the one-liners that just need some pref flip
18:10:45 <GeKo> i might ping people to have a quick look at those patches
18:10:57 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: could be!
18:11:09 <GeKo> pospeselr: are you here by chance?
18:11:14 <pospeselr> i am!
18:11:20 <GeKo> great!
18:11:29 <GeKo> so, re the sandboxing bug
18:11:50 <arthuredelstein> GeKo: I mean I bisected and tracked it down to that an issue with fpi/permissions
18:12:21 <arthuredelstein> I should go over that patch and make sure there aren't other similar issues
18:12:48 <GeKo> feel free to do if that doe snot collide with more important stuff
18:13:13 <GeKo> pospeselr: i think it's not unreasonable to plan with shipping level 2 if we don't find a better solution
18:13:37 <pospeselr> yeah that would have to be the fallback
18:13:50 <GeKo> good.
18:13:51 <pospeselr> and it isn't a 'rare' occurance
18:14:08 <GeKo> yep
18:14:10 <pospeselr> i suspect for some people they'll hit it almmost every tim they launch TB
18:14:35 <GeKo> one idea for debugging is finding our what exactly is interfering in level 3 and above
18:14:38 <pospeselr> seeings how adding a bit of logging to my windows build makes it hit just about every time
18:14:46 <pospeselr> yeah tjat
18:14:48 <GeKo> by flipping things in sandboxBroker.cpp
18:14:52 <pospeselr> yeah that's my plan for today
18:14:58 <GeKo> awesome, thanks
18:15:01 <arthuredelstein> yeah, it happens every time on my windows machine
18:15:05 <pospeselr> fortunately there's only 2 or 3 places where we branch based off of sandbox level 3
18:15:26 <pospeselr> and twiw, removing tor-launcher makes it go away completely
18:15:30 <pospeselr> fwiw*
18:15:45 <pospeselr> but don't know if that's because tor-launcher is causing the issue or just exposing it
18:15:46 <GeKo> mcs: i guess you are busy with fixing up lose ends for the about:tor experience
18:15:53 <GeKo> (which sonuds good)
18:16:14 <GeKo> (and onboarding ones)
18:16:16 <mcs> GeKo: We have plenty to do in that area but if something else is more important please let us know.
18:16:38 <GeKo> will do, but apart from review pings there is nothing else planned right now
18:17:04 <pospeselr> speaking of about:tor, when it does launch it really is a beautiful thing :)
18:17:11 <GeKo> +1
18:17:14 <sysrqb> +1
18:17:21 <antonela> :)
18:17:31 <intrigeri> +1
18:17:32 <pospeselr> +1's all around to everyone involved :)
18:17:45 <GeKo> so, regarding tb8 are there any questions for the release left?
18:17:55 <GeKo> intrigeri: welcome!
18:18:02 <intrigeri> GeKo: :)
18:18:04 <antonela> mcs, i filled #27301 with the pad items; please feel free to break up it
18:18:13 <antonela> hi intrigeri
18:18:21 <mcs> antonela: acknowledged and thanks!
18:18:21 <intrigeri> hi *
18:18:34 <antonela> mcs, no thanks you !
18:19:14 <GeKo> okay, let's start crossing fingers and move on to the next topic :)
18:19:31 <GeKo> if there questions, fears etc. arise i am happy to help
18:19:50 <GeKo> sysrqb: so, tba release
18:19:59 <sysrqb> yes
18:20:42 <GeKo> sonuds like we want to omit the ddg link opening?
18:20:46 <GeKo> is that the only issue?
18:21:09 <igt0> sysrqb, it appears even if we have the noscript extension?
18:21:23 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes, and getting access to google play (which should happen today)
18:21:55 <GeKo> isabela: ping
18:21:58 <sysrqb> so if we are happy with the current features, i can create a build after you create a new tag
18:22:22 <GeKo> i am not so happy with the ddg thing being broken
18:22:42 <GeKo> and wonder if we just do a "Finish" button with slightly modified text
18:22:44 <sysrqb> yeah, sory, i meant after solving that
18:22:51 <GeKo> aha, okay
18:23:18 <GeKo> yeah, i think that's the remaining problem for days now and nothing new has poppped up
18:23:34 <sysrqb> i tihnk that's a good plan, considering we are already a few weeks late with this release
18:23:57 <GeKo> what is DDG PWA?
18:24:06 <antonela> i think we are ok with a Finish button,
18:24:08 <sysrqb> Their progressie webapp
18:24:16 <GeKo> ugh
18:24:21 <GeKo> we wont' that
18:24:41 <GeKo> let's do the Finish button with a reworded text as needed
18:24:43 <sysrqb> i was wondering if we can disable the PWA detection
18:24:55 <sysrqb> but that is another patch/ticket i think
18:25:02 <GeKo> yep, that's for later
18:25:21 <GeKo> igt0: could you adapt the patch (finally) again?
18:25:27 <GeKo> and sysrqb could test it?
18:26:28 <igt0> GeKo, yep
18:26:55 <GeKo> cool. i'll probably be awake for another couple of hours for merging and tagging stuff
18:27:12 <sysrqb> GeKo: kay, should we discuss the release process later?
18:27:17 <sysrqb> *okay
18:27:22 <GeKo> we can do now
18:27:46 <GeKo> i think it's fine if it follows the same as we did with orfox
18:27:58 <sysrqb> okay, i can build and sign the .apk, but i'm not sure what the next step should be
18:28:06 <sysrqb> okay.
18:28:15 <sysrqb> i was also thinking about sending an email to tor-talk@
18:28:21 <GeKo> we need to get the .apk into google store
18:28:26 <GeKo> create a blog post
18:28:28 <sysrqb> and i thought i saw something about a blog post?
18:28:36 <GeKo> make the .apk available on the website
18:28:36 <sysrqb> okay, makes sense
18:28:50 <GeKo> and send a mail to, yeah, tor-announce
18:28:52 <GeKo> err
18:28:54 <GeKo> tor-talk
18:29:19 <GeKo> we should get isa and steph into the blog post thing
18:29:32 <GeKo> iirc there are outlines of it already available
18:29:39 <GeKo> i can them ping later
18:29:49 <sysrqb> okay, sounds good
18:30:04 <sysrqb> i think i'll need help with uploading onto the website
18:30:44 <GeKo> i can do that
18:30:49 <sysrqb> great
18:31:05 <sysrqb> okay, sounds good
18:31:06 <GeKo> hiro has been working on the apk relatd bits for the website
18:31:16 <GeKo> we need to check whre we are with that
18:31:25 <GeKo> i'll do that later as well
18:31:33 <sysrqb> thanks
18:32:11 <GeKo> tjr: re the special folder question
18:32:16 <GeKo> could be
18:32:42 <GeKo> i guess pospeselr could double-check
18:33:01 <tjr> (he replied below saying no)
18:33:23 <hiro> GeKo as soon as I have the link to the apk and the copy for the text I can put it online :)
18:33:36 <pospeselr> yeah this happens when just installed to my VM's desktop folder
18:33:36 <GeKo> awesome, even better, thanks
18:34:14 <GeKo> pospeselr: i think the argument was that the desktop foldr might be treated differntly with sandbox level 3
18:34:28 <pospeselr> OH
18:35:32 <pospeselr> ok that's worth poking around in
18:35:36 <pospeselr> will add it to my list
18:35:37 <GeKo> bc the cypherpunk said it was a non-issue in differnt folders
18:35:40 <GeKo> great
18:36:18 <GeKo> anything else before discussion?
18:36:37 <isabela> GeKo: !
18:36:48 <GeKo> isabela: !
18:37:08 * isabela saw a ping (but i guess you got the answer from sysrqb already)
18:37:27 <GeKo> isabela: partly. we can take the remaining parts for after the meeting
18:37:34 <GeKo> okay discussion
18:38:18 <GeKo> tjr: there has not been anything ongoing besides the tbb-dev thread
18:38:32 <GeKo> so i guess we'll pick this up after we finally got our rleases out?
18:38:35 <GeKo> *releases
18:38:44 <GeKo> sysrqb: does that sounds good?
18:38:47 <tjr> okay, just confirming :)
18:38:49 <sysrqb> that was my plan, yes
18:39:26 <sysrqb> TB8 and TBA seemed like much higher priorities right now
18:39:34 <GeKo> correct
18:39:55 <GeKo> okay, next meeting
18:39:57 <isabela> GeKo: k
18:41:09 <GeKo> i realize on next monday is a public holiday in the us?
18:41:14 <GeKo> labor day
18:41:23 <GeKo> so, we should move the meeting
18:41:35 <GeKo> would moving to tue 1800 utc work?
18:41:47 <sisbell> works for me
18:41:49 <mcs> Works for me.
18:41:50 <pospeselr> works for me
18:41:53 <igt0> +1
18:42:28 <arthuredelstein> me too
18:42:32 <sysrqb> me three
18:42:43 <boklm> works for me too
18:42:51 <GeKo> great
18:43:06 <GeKo> i'll send the announcement later
18:43:19 <GeKo> do we have something else up for discussion today then?
18:43:37 <pospeselr> already pinged tjr about this
18:43:52 <pospeselr> but was wondering if anyone knew of any high level docs taht outline firefox's architecture
18:44:22 <pospeselr> stumbling around in the dark pressing random buttons and switches only gets you so far
18:44:25 <GeKo> like the whole thing?
18:44:31 <GeKo> or just e10s?
18:44:43 <pospeselr> either, anything
18:45:00 <sysrqb> i have some pages bookmarked, i can find them
18:45:38 <pospeselr> alright cool, somethign to read between compiles
18:45:43 <pospeselr> thanks!
18:46:06 <GeKo> okay, anything else?
18:46:28 <mcs> Some e10s info is here but it is somewhat old: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox/Multiprocess_Firefox/Technical_overview
18:47:39 <GeKo> alright, thanks all *baf*
18:47:41 <GeKo> #endmeeting