18:00:16 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor browser
18:00:16 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Sep  4 18:00:16 2018 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:00:16 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:00:24 <GeKo> alright, let's get started
18:00:32 <GeKo> meeting pad: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N
18:00:45 <GeKo> please enter your items and mark those bold you want to talk about
18:01:26 <sisbell> hi
18:02:38 <arthuredelstein> hi everyone
18:03:02 <boklm> hi!
18:03:33 <pospeselr> hello!
18:03:44 <igt0> howdy!
18:04:26 <sysrqb> whoops. here.
18:05:30 <GeKo> okay, let's get started
18:05:59 <GeKo> last week was quite exciting to say the least but it appears as if we have something releasable available right now
18:06:21 <GeKo> thanks to everyone who helped with the last minute issues
18:06:41 <GeKo> that said let's look at the pad
18:06:55 <GeKo> sisbell: i've marked one of your items.
18:07:16 <sisbell> Geko: I see it
18:07:23 <GeKo> i am wondering how we should integrate that rust tool into the tor-browser-build repo
18:07:34 <GeKo> or am i misunderstanding something here?
18:08:15 <sisbell> Its designed to generate RBM configs and/or tarballs for the build
18:08:18 <GeKo> i.e. do we require a rust compiler available to start a tor-browser build?
18:09:03 <sisbell> Some of the browser code (like servo) is written in rust, so we need the compiler in that sense
18:09:57 <GeKo> yes, that's true we build one ourselves to be able to compile firefox code
18:11:15 <sisbell> I'm not sure the library I wrote should be part of the build (if we want that it will require some more discussion)
18:11:16 <GeKo> sisbell: okay, i guess i'll have to look at the patch. my fear was that we need to have a rust compiler one needs to get via apt-get install or something
18:11:38 <GeKo> in order to use tor-browser-build
18:12:26 <sisbell> Rust bootstraps so we do need a previous compiled version
18:12:39 <sisbell> to build rust from source
18:14:03 <GeKo> that's true. okay, i am curious now but i'll wait for the patch to look at :)
18:14:51 <sisbell> i'll send out a link to the source this week
18:15:00 <GeKo> thanks!
18:15:13 <boklm> at some point we want to add an option to be able to download all dependencies before starting the build (this is ticket #23401), so depending on rust to download some of the dependencies might make that more difficult
18:15:50 <GeKo> yep, that's a good point to keep i mind as well
18:16:11 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: one thing you probably should prioritize this week is working on the newsletter banner
18:16:34 <GeKo> aka #27097
18:16:37 <arthuredelstein> GeKo: good point. I will add it to my list
18:17:02 <GeKo> the reason for that is we want to include it in the next release and it might come sooner than we like :)
18:17:24 <arthuredelstein> true! :P
18:17:29 <GeKo> the plan was to get one bugfix release out before mexico
18:17:39 <GeKo> or immediately afterwards
18:19:01 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: another thing you could prioritize is looking into #27290 which is a serious regression
18:19:13 <GeKo> i'd say postponing working on #25555 for another week?
18:20:03 <arthuredelstein> OK!
18:21:05 <arthuredelstein> It's at the bottom of my list now in any case :)
18:21:14 <GeKo> haha
18:21:40 <GeKo> sysrqb: igt0: sisbell: so, when do we want to do our "tba next steps?" meeting?
18:21:41 <arthuredelstein> my SOCKS keeping falling down
18:22:03 * pospeselr *facepalms*
18:22:08 <GeKo> do we try to get that done after this meeting?
18:22:29 <GeKo> or should we wait until tba alpha 1 is finall out?
18:22:59 <sysrqb> GeKo: I vote for after alpha 1
18:23:08 <GeKo> *finally
18:23:15 <sysrqb> i'd prefer concentrating on that
18:23:24 <sysrqb> but i canmeet after this and discuss
18:24:28 <igt0> maybe we could have a pad with few points and we can discuss them after the tba alpha 1 is out.
18:24:35 <sisbell> I'm open anytime. I've got enough work for this week
18:26:13 <GeKo> igt0: sounds good. i try to set up one after the meeting (and if i fail i'll do it tomorrow morning) and we all can think about the next steps before meeting
18:26:42 <GeKo> and, yes, let's postpone it until the alpha is really out
18:27:15 <GeKo> okay, anything else for the status updates?
18:28:41 <mcs> pospeselr: The only thing I can think of that is really special about Tor Launcher is that it starts the tor.exe process.
18:28:59 <mcs> But I would expect that to happen later than the sandboxing init.
18:28:59 <pospeselr> yeah
18:29:14 * antonela will wait for TBA pad
18:29:25 <pospeselr> mcs: that doesn't seem to be the case actually
18:29:38 <mcs> Interesting :)
18:29:42 <pospeselr> the various directory whitelisting calls and what-not only happen before the launch of content process 3
18:29:50 <pospeselr> childID 3 rather
18:30:04 <pospeselr> even in the successful launch case
18:30:43 <pospeselr> at first I thought tor initing particularly fast was the common error case, but I've since seen failures in both slow and fast init
18:31:06 <mcs> OK. Keep debugging I guess….
18:31:25 <pospeselr> though the common element between the various failure modes is that childID 2 gets launched a bit earlier, which sort of lines up with what Bob Owen is saying
18:32:09 <GeKo> fun bug...
18:32:26 <GeKo> okay, discussion time i guess
18:32:37 <pospeselr> yeah *fun*
18:32:48 <GeKo> flexlibris asked about sessions we want at the team meeting day
18:32:56 <flexlibris> !
18:33:00 <GeKo> which means 9/29
18:33:03 <GeKo> hihi!
18:33:25 <GeKo> so, i hope we make quite some progress with our stuff on 9/28
18:33:48 <GeKo> but i guess we should have at least one session at the end where we nail the final roadmap down
18:34:05 <GeKo> after we got all the input on the team meeting day from other teams
18:34:22 <GeKo> what else?
18:35:47 <arthuredelstein> do we have an agenda for 9/28 already?
18:35:48 <GeKo> should we do a meeting with ux folks to have those parts covered and prioritized for the next months?
18:36:14 <mcs> +1 for having a UX coordination meeting
18:36:23 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: no. my plan was to start that day with making an agenda
18:36:24 <antonela> :)
18:36:49 <arthuredelstein> GeKo: make sense. The reason I asked is it's hard to know what should go on 9/28 vs 9/29
18:36:50 <GeKo> in the sense that we brainstorm where we want to be in the near/medium future
18:37:10 <GeKo> and then talk about how we get there by digging deeper into particular topics
18:37:19 <pospeselr> I'd like to propose an hour or two where the browser devs could share any neat quality of life *hacks* we've developed for debugging and tracing issues in firefox
18:37:25 <flexlibris> you can leave it open-ended for now and just claim time slots if you want
18:37:25 <GeKo> and then break that down into roadmappable tasls
18:37:40 <arthuredelstein> pospeselr: +1
18:37:41 <flexlibris> I just want to make sure your times don't collide with other meetings you need to attend
18:37:54 <GeKo> pospeselr: yo, +1 from me
18:38:20 <pospeselr> I'm sure we all have our various tools and scripts or even debugger commands or what-have you that someone in the group could learn from :)
18:38:37 <igt0> GeKo, sysrqb, a good meeting would be about the android network stack
18:39:05 <GeKo> you mean for the team meeting day on 29th?
18:39:09 <brade> We should have a 8.0 release post-mortem on 9/28 (and one for TBA as well)
18:39:11 <antonela> TB + UX is now scheduled for Oct 1
18:39:30 <arthuredelstein> Subjects that interest me a lot include sandboxing, and improving security slider behavior/reducing breakage
18:39:36 <sysrqb> igt0: yes, good idea
18:39:54 <GeKo> antonela: what scope is that?
18:40:06 <GeKo> because it's a bit late for the roadmap part
18:40:06 <antonela> GeKo what arthuredelstein said
18:40:10 <antonela> we are sharing agenda there
18:40:45 <arthuredelstein> yes, we could include the security slider stuff in the TB + UX meeting
18:41:00 <antonela> arthuredelstein yep
18:41:05 <GeKo> hm, hm
18:41:17 <arthuredelstein> another UX one is "click your flag tor-launcher"
18:41:36 <antonela> New Identity user flow review is on my list too
18:41:56 <GeKo> antonela: i'd be happier if we can nail down the items that need to go onto the roadmap on 29th
18:42:09 <GeKo> which does not mean we could have another meeting on october 1
18:42:30 <GeKo> which could include not just the teams (and hopefully would)
18:42:54 <antonela> GeKo, me too - looks like everybody will be roadmapping on 29th
18:43:35 <GeKo> okay, then we'll have one slot for UX work for the coming months
18:43:49 <GeKo> and then one slot for doing THE roadmap
18:45:39 <GeKo> flexlibris: we have three rooms?
18:45:57 <flexlibris> GeKo I'm not entirely sure yet, but we will designate at least three spaces :)
18:46:00 <flexlibris> more if we need them
18:46:36 <GeKo> okay. so, i guess those two meetings and then two more slots for topics tbd?
18:46:46 <GeKo> does that sounds reasonable?
18:46:54 <GeKo> *sound
18:46:54 <pospeselr> sounds like a plan!
18:47:03 * flexlibris looks for where you said what times
18:47:15 <GeKo> :)
18:47:55 <GeKo> i think i figure the times out with antonela and other stake holders
18:48:06 <GeKo> does not need to be done right now
18:48:33 <GeKo> (but after the meeting)
18:48:44 <GeKo> are we good with that item?
18:48:53 <GeKo> do we have anything else to discuss?
18:49:18 <antonela> geko ok!
18:49:28 <flexlibris> GeKo works for me
18:51:59 <GeKo> okay, seems we are done for today. thanks all! *baf*
18:52:03 <GeKo> #endmeeting