14:29:03 <karsten> #startmeeting metrics team
14:29:03 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Sep 24 14:29:03 2018 UTC.  The chair is karsten. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:29:03 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:29:52 <irl> i have some things we might want to discuss in mexico, but nothing additional for this meeting
14:30:00 <karsten> okay.
14:30:24 <karsten> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/5h1Goax5eNusxjXJ_Ty5Wl7hFR1uqCReUiN8xdlBG8T <- agenda pad
14:30:32 <karsten> alright, let's start.
14:30:36 <karsten> * Put out releases (karsten)
14:30:43 <irl> this is a lot of releases
14:31:01 <karsten> when I prepared my travel laptop I found that it's more difficult than it should be to set up a dev environment.
14:31:19 <karsten> yes, it's 3. we could do 2 now and 1 later.
14:31:32 <karsten> metrics-lib has a new dependency in master, as does metrics-web.
14:31:55 <karsten> whereas collector just has some unreleased changes.
14:32:08 <gaba> Hi! I still have to send a message to the mailing list as I'm still getting up to speed BUT I'm the new project manager that will work with isa and pili. I will be reading this meeting and sending a mail later.
14:32:19 <karsten> hi gaba!
14:32:33 <gaba> :)
14:32:39 <karsten> you're going to be in mexico city, right?
14:32:45 <gaba> right
14:33:03 <gaba> Im planning to send you a mail later for us to meet
14:33:06 <karsten> cool! shall we include you on meeting-preparation threads?
14:33:36 <gaba> yes please, although I'm going to be attending the network meetings that are at the same time than the metric ones.
14:34:10 <karsten> sounds good. I was thinking of all days, not just the team day.
14:34:18 <karsten> like, SOTO, open days, etc.
14:34:24 <gaba> yes
14:34:36 <gaba> I will be attending all days
14:34:50 <karsten> sounds great!
14:35:24 <karsten> okay. so, regarding this meeting, we're using the agenda pad to collect topics, and then we're going through them.
14:35:52 <gaba> sounds good
14:36:19 <karsten> alright, let's continue with releases then.
14:36:32 <karsten> irl: do you think we should release just the first two then?
14:36:50 <karsten> that would mean no deployments now.
14:37:04 <karsten> (metrics-lib is not deployed, and metrics-web is deployed even between releases.)
14:37:08 <irl> is there anything that is currently broken in collector, or is it just enhancements?
14:37:31 <karsten> there are plenty of refactorings.
14:37:45 <karsten> no bug fixes in this release.
14:38:07 <irl> i think it is best to delay that until after mexico, so that if we did refactor something enough to break it we are around to spot it and fix it
14:38:11 <karsten> I see your point.
14:38:21 <karsten> right, agreed.
14:38:41 <karsten> alright, I'll open two tickets for those other releases.
14:38:42 <irl> i'm happy to do reviews for metrics-{lib,web} though today or later this week
14:38:45 <irl> cool
14:38:55 <karsten> great!
14:39:03 <irl> what were this issues you had with setting up dev environment?
14:39:20 <karsten> ah, just a missing jar file.
14:39:36 <karsten> we started using commons-codec in master, but we didn't include that in a release.
14:39:54 <irl> https://github.com/irl/onionoo/blob/travis/fetchlibs.sh
14:40:01 <karsten> I wrote a simple script to clone the git repo and extract libs from the latest tarball.
14:40:11 <irl> i plan to make a pure python implementation of this that doesn't depend on actually running debian stable
14:40:25 <irl> but for now this works on debian stable for me to fetch from debian during test builds
14:40:26 <karsten> that would be useful!
14:40:36 <karsten> right, that wouldn't work on mac os then.
14:40:52 <irl> if it's pure python then it will just depend on python
14:40:58 <karsten> yes.
14:41:19 <irl> there are libs for parsing debian archive files etc.
14:41:22 <karsten> regardless, I think it's better practice to put out a new release when adding a new dependency.
14:41:30 <karsten> oh, neat.
14:41:38 <irl> yes, that sounds good
14:42:01 <karsten> okay, cool!
14:42:10 <karsten> * Mexico City prep (karsten)
14:42:38 <karsten> I basically reserved this week to prepare things,
14:42:45 <karsten> which is why I don't have many things to discuss now.
14:42:52 <irl> i am doing similar
14:43:03 <karsten> but it might be good to talk about sessions in the next few days.
14:43:09 <karsten> where talk can be mail.
14:43:33 <irl> it might make sense to have a pad to keep notes on the sessions
14:43:34 <karsten> so, for example, we should start thinking about our upcoming roadmap.
14:43:42 <irl> there are not just our sessions but also sessions where we are useful
14:43:50 <karsten> right.
14:44:08 <karsten> pad sounds good. I'll open one.
14:44:45 <karsten> and send the link to you and gaba.
14:44:55 <irl> ok
14:45:33 <karsten> ok! I think that's all we have on the agenda today.
14:45:53 <karsten> anything else?
14:46:10 <irl> nothing more from me
14:46:41 <karsten> alright! everything else will be on the pad, and then in the real life in mexico!
14:46:51 <karsten> thanks, and bye! :)
14:46:57 <irl> bye!
14:47:05 <karsten> #endmeeting