19:05:02 <pili> #startmeeting tor-browser-release 10/31
19:05:02 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Oct 31 19:05:02 2018 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:05:02 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:05:26 <pili> Meeting Pad: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/0Mzylw_n38Cxs8ZeG8yd2k_a8Y3uDFt5jJW8GBLiFiG
19:05:56 <pili> First item I'd like to highlight is that we released TBA 1.0a3 today! :)
19:06:08 <GeKo> yay
19:06:20 <pili> it's a bit later than usual but we wanted to get a critical bug fixed
19:06:20 <pospeselr> woo :)
19:06:29 <pili> well done guys! :)
19:06:53 <GeKo> kudo to sysrqb who did the heavy-lifting here
19:06:57 <GeKo> *kudos
19:07:21 <pili> +1
19:08:31 <pili> I believe next release will be sometime in November
19:08:42 <pili> GeKo: do we have any preliminary dates for that?
19:08:53 <GeKo> yes
19:09:20 <GeKo> actually, there is no need for security related release in november
19:09:28 <GeKo> (hopfefully)
19:09:33 <GeKo> *hopefully
19:09:48 <GeKo> the next planned date is 12/11
19:10:09 <GeKo> but we want to get a major tba alpha out before that some time in november
19:10:12 <pili> great, any previews of what we want to get in this release? :)
19:10:37 <GeKo> and we can think about doing an earlier alpha release/stable release if we want it
19:11:38 <GeKo> the major pieces for that release are outlined at https://pad.riseup.net/p/nlhgUPXcS8SK
19:12:05 <GeKo> the MUST parts are relevant here
19:12:13 <GeKo> so, the big ones are orbot integration
19:12:32 <GeKo> and getting tba integrated into our tor-browser-build process
19:12:55 <pili> orbot integration will be a really important one, looking forward to it :)
19:13:03 <GeKo> yeah
19:13:56 <pili> will we try to get the donation banner in this TBA release also?
19:14:27 <igt0> yep
19:14:35 <pili> great :)
19:15:08 <sstevenson> the mock-ups look good :-)
19:15:36 <pili> yup, shame antonela couldn't make it to the meeting today :)
19:16:21 <pili> does anyone have any requests for the next Tor Browser releases that they want to be taken into consideration?
19:17:00 <traumschule> can we have about:credits :)
19:17:11 <pili> hey traumschule
19:17:24 <pili> I'll add it to the list, do you know if there's a ticket for it already?
19:18:15 <traumschule> hey pili! it's #25475
19:18:18 <GeKo> i think so
19:18:20 <GeKo> yes
19:19:15 <pili> I guess that would be for both Tor Browser and TBA? :)
19:20:42 <GeKo> yes
19:21:16 <pili> ok
19:21:36 <pili> anything else? otherwise we can move on to the "Other" part of the meeting, I know sstevenson has an important request
19:22:36 <pili> it seems like some people (isabela that we know of so far) are not seeing the donation banner when they updated Tor Browser
19:23:03 <pili> I personally can see it, but we were wondering if there's some way we can troubleshoot this?
19:23:07 <GeKo> that's news to me, interesting
19:23:16 <sstevenson> i can also see it
19:23:17 <pili> sstevenson: feel free to add any other details you may have that could be useful :)
19:23:37 <sstevenson> and we have been getting some donations that appear to be from the banner
19:24:01 <pili> we're just not sure if it's just isabela or if it could be happening to others also
19:24:10 <GeKo> yeah
19:24:15 <sstevenson> however donations are coming in significantly less often than they were last year, so it made us wonder if something is going on
19:24:20 <pili> right
19:24:54 <GeKo> well, we can file a ticket and then try to get isabela to reproduce the problem
19:25:48 <GeKo> we didn't get any reports, though, which might not be surprising given that it is not a feature that is missing otherwise
19:26:02 <pili> ok, any volunteers to file the ticket, otherwise I can do it :)
19:26:20 <GeKo> sstevenson: do we have donors from last year we got over the banner which are not donating this year which we could ask?
19:26:37 <GeKo> i think that might be an idea to get infor after the fact
19:26:46 <GeKo> why it did not work as good as last year
19:27:03 <sstevenson> we don’t know the origen of each donation
19:27:10 <sstevenson> just traffic to the donate page
19:27:11 <GeKo> i mean there could be all sorts for reasons why this is not as good as last year
19:27:16 <GeKo> okay, i see
19:27:33 <sstevenson> right, we are considering everything. it is possible that the images and messages are just not resonating with people
19:27:40 <GeKo> yep
19:27:50 <sstevenson> and we’ll do something very different for the next release
19:28:00 <sstevenson> but i just want to make sure we are considering everything
19:28:23 <GeKo> sstevenson: do we need a release before 12/11 for that?
19:28:51 <sstevenson> that might be worth doing, if it is possible
19:29:15 <sstevenson> do we know how many people have updated their browser?
19:29:25 <GeKo> sort of
19:29:51 <GeKo> https://metrics.torproject.org/webstats-tb.html has some graphs
19:30:13 <sstevenson> because we are still getting around 75 people per day signing up for the newsletter because of the banner that is on TB’s last update
19:30:32 <sstevenson> which is why it is hard to believe the donation banners are only resulting in a few donations per day
19:31:00 <GeKo> so i think it is fair to say that the majority of tor browser users has updated
19:31:05 <pili> ok, just created #28270 for this
19:31:13 <GeKo> thx
19:31:25 <pili> Please add any more details to it
19:33:09 <sstevenson> that is really weird then that we are still getting so many newsletter sign-ups
19:33:36 <pili> :/
19:33:46 <pili> I guess we're just speculating at the moment though, we need some way to try to confirm this
19:34:04 <pili> anyone have any ideas? :)
19:35:04 <pili> we can at least try to troubleshoot with isabela
19:35:24 <traumschule> is it really constantly 70 per day?
19:35:49 <traumschule> *75
19:36:07 <sstevenson> i’ll check the past few days - it was 200 per day on average for a while and then it started decreasing
19:37:49 <sstevenson> we’ve gained over 1,000 new emails since 10/17
19:38:56 <traumschule> if it were signup bots (which may be unlikely) the only harm is probably that sending newsletters takes longer (last time 30 minutes difference between addresses)?
19:39:27 <GeKo> the problem is that the signup banner shoul dnot be shown anymore
19:39:35 <GeKo> and replaced by the donation banner
19:40:04 <sstevenson> and we have gotten 75 new sign-ups since Monday
19:40:15 <pili> I can't remember if isabela was seeing the signup banner still or jusr not seeing the donation banner
19:40:21 <pili> s/jusr/just
19:40:29 <pili> sstevenson: do you remember?
19:40:40 <sstevenson> i don’t think she ever said
19:42:06 <pili> ok, just asked on the ticket
19:42:37 <pili> I guess we need to wait for Isabela to try to reproduce? or somehow try to reproduce ourselves? not sure how though :/
19:43:22 <sstevenson> some of the email sign-ups can be coming from the website, but we weren’t seeing this many before the banner was added to TB
19:43:53 <traumschule> can do some more update testing later
19:44:50 <sstevenson> thanks
19:44:52 <pili> thanks traumschule!
19:45:06 <sstevenson> let me know if there is anything i can do
19:45:25 <pili> ok, anything else we want to discuss about this?
19:45:36 <pili> or any other topics?
19:46:39 * pili checks the meeting pad again
19:46:46 <pili> nothing new there :)
19:47:14 <pili> going, going, gone... :) Happy Halloween everyone 🎃 ;)
19:47:23 <pili> #endmeeting