19:00:36 <pili> #startmeeting tor-browser-release 11/14
19:00:36 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Nov 14 19:00:36 2018 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:36 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:54 <pili> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/WiApfsWC6Xch1m6VixvdQ-uahFVocVKqaN43iCvyPlF
19:01:01 <pili> that's the pad ^
19:01:26 <pili> I added in some tickets I thought might make it in to the next TBA release, but feel free to start crossing things out because I think it may have been a bit ambitious
19:01:33 * GeKo stumbles in
19:01:57 <pili> we can discuss the relative priorities a bit as well also and then if there are no requests we can move on to the security settings portion of the meeting :)
19:02:40 <antonela> jiji
19:02:44 <pili> I haven't put anything for the next Tor Browser desktop releases yet but we can discuss also if anyone has any particular requests
19:03:07 <GeKo> pili: we'll do a desktop alpha release earlier than the security fix one
19:03:19 <pili> ok
19:03:20 <GeKo> probably in the wake of the android alpha release
19:03:30 <pili> great, I'll add that in the pad
19:03:40 <pili> so 8.5 only?
19:03:42 <GeKo> we need test the new tor alpha
19:03:48 <pili> 8.5.x I should say
19:03:48 <GeKo> yes, i think so
19:03:58 <GeKo> but i am not sure about the stable yet
19:04:13 <GeKo> i guess that depends in part on updates to the banner
19:04:21 <GeKo> iirc there was the plan to test changes to it
19:04:57 <pili> right, I guess sstevenson can maybe comment on that :)
19:05:11 <pili> the plan is still for the TBA release to be on the 23rd November?
19:05:27 <GeKo> so far, yes, i think so
19:05:41 <sstevenson> we are working on updated banners for the 12/11 TB release
19:05:49 <GeKo> we'll see how far we get until monday and make a final decision then
19:05:54 <GeKo> sstevenson: ack
19:05:55 <sstevenson> i think the TBA banners are set
19:06:10 <pili> sstevenson: that's fine, so you don't want to try to get any new ones in before then? :)
19:06:11 <GeKo> so, then only a desktop alpha probably in addition to the new tba
19:06:18 <antonela> GeKo when is the deadline for those banners to have it ready for the next release?
19:06:34 <GeKo> you eman for 12/11?
19:06:38 <GeKo> *mean
19:06:41 <antonela> yep, what sstevenson mentioned
19:06:50 <GeKo> a week before latest
19:06:56 <sstevenson> we’ve accelerated the pace for the 12/11 banners so arthuredelstein can help before he leaves us
19:06:59 <GeKo> so ideally begin of december
19:07:00 <sstevenson> :-(
19:07:02 <antonela> oki, so first week of devember
19:07:06 <GeKo> yes
19:07:07 <antonela> perfect, thx
19:07:23 <sstevenson> we are hoping to have the language done by friday, but monday at the latest
19:07:30 <GeKo> pili: why got #28329 a stiek through?
19:07:33 <GeKo> *strike
19:07:47 <antonela> i uploaded my notes today!
19:08:00 <pili> I thought it may be a bit ambitious for the 23rd November release, but would love for it to go in!
19:08:06 <GeKo> sstevenson: i don't know who translates all this but we might want to have some kind of quality control here
19:08:35 <antonela> emmapeel via transifex
19:08:36 <sstevenson> yes, i know there were issues with “anonymity loves company” and its translation
19:08:51 <GeKo> yeah
19:09:05 <antonela> sstevenson: i tried to find that issue/comment and i didn't find it, is italian the problem?
19:09:15 <GeKo> and the other one where we actually inddicated that the money goes to mozilla
19:09:23 <GeKo> :(
19:09:26 <antonela> :/
19:09:30 <pili> the italian one sounded more like a typo than anything
19:09:30 <GeKo> instead of mozilla matching the donation
19:09:37 <pili> I didn't read anything about the other one :(
19:09:57 <antonela> sstevenson: i tried to find that issue/comment and i didn't find it, is italian the problem?
19:09:59 <boklm> #28301
19:10:01 <antonela> sorry
19:10:07 <sstevenson> ah i didn’t hear about the mozilla one
19:10:13 <antonela> sstevenson: if you can list that issues, we can fix those
19:10:17 <GeKo> #28301
19:10:18 <pili> it's a hard one... how can we do that with the current localization process? can we rope in emmapeel to the meeting for comments? :)
19:10:44 <GeKo> ah, boklm was faster, thanks
19:10:47 <pili> as in, is there some sort of review process for translations?
19:10:57 <GeKo> i don't think so
19:11:05 <pili> italian should be an easy one to double check at least
19:11:06 <GeKo> at least we did not have one in the recent past
19:11:07 <antonela> oh was french not italian
19:11:10 <antonela> thanks boklm!
19:11:11 <GeKo> both
19:11:12 <pili> we have resources ;)
19:11:20 <arthuredelstein> transifex has a mechanism for reviewing translated strings
19:11:28 <arthuredelstein> but it's largely not being used for most locales
19:12:04 <arthuredelstein> if we can have people who can do those reviews I think emmapeel can set you up with an account
19:12:31 <arthuredelstein> actually, I take it back, some locales are getting reviewed
19:12:37 <arthuredelstein> see https://torpat.ch/locales
19:13:01 <GeKo> arthuredelstein: by whom?
19:13:14 <GeKo> i mean not by tpo people, right?
19:13:17 <arthuredelstein> there are volunteer reviewers as well as volunteer translators
19:13:18 <arthuredelstein> correct
19:13:25 <pili> ok, let me think about it, I guess we need to balance the need of getting translations out quickly with checking they are correct
19:13:27 <arthuredelstein> but we could have tpo people volunteer as reviewers
19:13:53 <GeKo> pili: yes, and there are more critcial things than others
19:13:55 <pili> yeah, it would have to be voluntary for sure, people are quite busy :/
19:14:11 <GeKo> so, we could rope in people for important stuff, like the banner
19:14:22 <pili> yup
19:14:29 <GeKo> i mean those mistakes are quite embarassing tbh
19:14:46 <sstevenson> yes
19:14:55 <pili> ok, so once we have the new banner text and we have translations we should get people to review
19:15:05 <arthuredelstein> embarassing but probably the main strings in tor browser are also very important :)
19:15:07 <pili> I'll circle back with emmapeel to see about setting that up
19:15:12 <GeKo> i actually wonder why this happened this year
19:15:17 <GeKo> never heard about it before
19:15:23 <sstevenson> let me know what i can do. we might want to consider a very simple banner to be localized
19:15:44 <antonela> sstevenson: will we need to translate different strings for 12/11?
19:16:08 <sstevenson> i think we were planning on whatever process occured the first time around
19:16:37 <arthuredelstein> if some strings are long or complex we could consider restricting them to en-US
19:16:47 <sstevenson> the simplest localized banner, “we need your support” resulted in the most clicks to the donate page
19:16:48 <antonela> that means? im asking because if yes, is better to have them soonish so we can have a proper review process
19:17:06 <arthuredelstein> sstevenson: what percent of our donors are from non-en-US locales?
19:18:14 <sstevenson> good question - we don’t have that data
19:18:33 <sstevenson> but we received about half the number of clicks on all translated banners
19:19:12 <sstevenson> when we do know the country someone is from, i think about a quarter, or a bit more are non-us
19:19:21 <pili> ok, sounds like we need more info.... let me follow up on this offline if that's ok? :)
19:19:38 <sstevenson> sounds good. i can dig into the data if that is helpful
19:20:05 <pili> yup, just to know how much effort is realistically necessary, or which languages we should concentrate more on reviewing
19:20:41 <pili> as in, it's not as important to make sure we review language x really carefully if we've never had any donations from there...
19:20:47 <pili> maybe :)
19:21:25 <pili> ok, let's move on then
19:21:40 <pili> any updates to the list for the TBA a2 release?
19:22:00 <pili> anything that will definitely not make it
19:22:29 <GeKo> probably a bunch of things
19:23:04 <GeKo> i need to figure our whether we have anything for the improved linkability/fingerprinting resistance
19:23:50 <GeKo> i think we might get all out must haves done
19:24:01 <GeKo> + donatin banner
19:24:06 <GeKo> *donation
19:24:25 <GeKo> + #26690
19:24:41 <pili> that'd be great if we can :)
19:24:48 <GeKo> the other stuff probably not
19:24:58 <GeKo> maaaaaybe #26843
19:25:08 <antonela> emmapeel: ^^^
19:25:13 <pili> :D
19:25:16 <pili> anything of note/worth highlighting for the 8.5 alpha release?
19:25:20 <GeKo> + the option to switch locales a la fennec
19:25:36 <antonela> icons? #25702
19:26:20 <GeKo> improved linkability defenses #26540 and #22343
19:26:32 <GeKo> which took a lot of work
19:27:23 <GeKo> a new tor alpha
19:27:29 <GeKo> and minor stuff
19:27:29 <pili> ok, let me add those to the list
19:28:10 <antonela> what about #25475? do we want it? asn mentioned some easter egg, we can do it!
19:29:02 <pili> \o/
19:29:28 <antonela> but we need to review that list, all the cc people in that ticket are not in that list ha
19:29:38 <pili> ok, nice, icon would be really cool also... :)
19:29:58 <antonela> yes, but we will need comms support to do that
19:30:57 <pili> ok, anything else from anyone? requests? comments?
19:32:21 <pili> if not... I'll end the meeting and we can move on with security settings discussion :)
19:32:25 <antonela> im groot
19:32:30 <pili> groot!
19:32:36 <pili> #endmeeting