13:58:46 <antonela> #startmeeting ux-team
13:58:46 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jan 22 13:58:46 2019 UTC.  The chair is antonela. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
13:58:46 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
13:58:48 <antonela> hello people!
13:58:52 <antonela> hi ailanthus!@
13:58:57 <pili> hi
13:59:03 <antonela> hello emmapeel, pili and elioqoshi!
13:59:06 <emmapeel> o/
13:59:18 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Hiya
13:59:44 <antonela> let's start as usual leaving updates at our regular pad and keeping the roadmap updated (i think pili have news about it!!)
13:59:57 <antonela> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/I8_OseyM3K5KhgviTIXcpXfAFfipaAW57EbwdFkj61t
14:00:46 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Shouldn't it be 22 January?
14:01:00 <antonela> oops ye
14:01:26 <antonela> if you want to talk about something specific, you can add an item to the agenda
14:03:20 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Yeah I added something I'd like to have some ideas and resources on
14:03:51 <antonela> great
14:04:03 <antonela> okey, lets start
14:04:11 <antonela> pili you are up
14:04:16 <pili> hihi
14:04:46 <pili> just a note that I've translated the roadmap task list into a kanban board to try to get a better overview of everything that is going on
14:05:00 <pili> so feel free to use it and update if you think it's useful for you also :)
14:05:08 <antonela> welcome back dunqan o/
14:05:15 <pili> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/4LLhH5s-55_Vj0uO9W8t6LD9_WqmuS9bjTB3AE3LTYN
14:05:17 <antonela> pili that is great, i love the kanban idea
14:05:28 <dunqan> hi! hope everyone is good :)
14:05:40 <antonela> lets set up some rules to make it work: updates are going to happen in the kanban, not at the roadmap pad anymore, right?
14:05:41 <pili> I'll be updating it at least weekly during/after this meeting
14:06:03 <pili> antonela: up to you, we can experiment with both for a time
14:06:05 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Love the kanban, thanks for that!
14:06:14 <antonela> pili, nono, lets use just one source of trust
14:06:20 <pili> but it seem everyone prefers the kanban so great! :)
14:06:26 <pili> let's move to the kanban then
14:06:31 <antonela> yes! lets do the kanban
14:06:37 <pili> I might ask you all to review then to make sure your tasks are there
14:06:42 <pili> make sure I haven't forgotten anything
14:06:46 <antonela> yes, i reviewed it
14:06:51 <emmapeel> yeah not two placs please
14:07:11 <emmapeel> #agreed updates are going to happen in the kanban, not at the roadmap pad anymore
14:07:13 <pili> I moved some things to icebox just because it seemed like there hadn't been any movement on them for a while, but again, feel free to own your tasks and move things around :)
14:07:48 <antonela> question 2: ux-team labeled trac issues, are going to live at the kanban? should we triage those? we should triage those with involved teams?
14:08:20 <antonela> should we triage those when we have funds? idk
14:09:13 <pili> antonela: we should probably triage those, maybe bring them to the corresponding team meetings as a discussion item
14:09:26 <antonela> i like it, lets do it
14:09:33 <pili> maybe you and I can do a first pass at some point though?
14:09:53 <antonela> yes, i already did a first pass and i went into a sadness hole lol
14:10:02 <pili> they will either go into backlog or icebox (or closed altogether...)
14:10:15 <antonela> yes, lets do it on February, since otf is still pending
14:10:20 <pili> sounds good
14:10:31 <antonela> great, thanks pili for putting it together!
14:10:46 <pili> yw :)
14:10:53 <antonela> one more thing: should cards owners update those? or do you prefer to do it?
14:11:43 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> How about "If you see something, move something"? :P
14:11:51 <emmapeel> :D
14:11:58 <emmapeel> i agree!
14:12:07 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Sure card owners should be more aware but I think everyone could move thing s around if they know there is some progress on it
14:12:15 <antonela> perfect, so card owners should update it and pili will review
14:12:22 <antonela> sounds like a plan!
14:12:47 <pili> antonela: I don't mind, I want to have more visibility and be more involved so moving things around and checking status helps me with that
14:12:54 <emmapeel> #agreed: card owners should update their own, and pili will review. but everyone could move thing s around if they know there is some progress on it
14:12:58 <pili> but happy for card owners to update themselves
14:13:11 <antonela> super, anything else roadmap related pili?
14:13:26 <pili> don't think so :)
14:13:35 <antonela> great, thanks pili!
14:13:42 <antonela> me next
14:13:59 <antonela> im working with the outreach material for 2019/2020 in collab with our stellar community team
14:14:16 <antonela> the content is set, stephw needs to give a review but we would like to have localized versions for it
14:14:21 <antonela> emmapeel: what is the best way to do it?
14:14:33 <emmapeel> what is the format you work on?
14:14:43 <emmapeel> if you can produce a .po file, that is the best for me.
14:15:03 <emmapeel> for example, from .svg files or markdown
14:15:09 <antonela> sorry for the db link, but is here if you people want to sneak peek https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lr1cytju3q8c1z5/AADcB2XHT-3AiIVmpTWoEvMna?dl=0
14:15:39 <emmapeel> wit design it depends a lot, also some languages are left ot right, etc...
14:15:40 <antonela> i can export in svg, im working in sketch, is a printable material
14:15:44 <emmapeel> not sure how you want to go about that
14:16:09 <antonela> i know, i hope we can have some collabs on that, i just want to hand off the right deliverable to make it easier for it
14:16:19 <emmapeel> what else can you export into? we can have a look. lets meet tomorrow maybe and talk about that?
14:16:20 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> I'm not sure that is well translatable without humans reviewing it
14:16:36 <stephw> antonela: is it ready for me to go over the text?
14:16:39 <antonela> emmapeel: yes sure, lets talk about it deeper
14:17:03 <antonela> stephw: yes! could you? im still working on covers and posters (back side), but the main sections are ready for review
14:17:43 <stephw> okay great, i will before next mtg
14:18:11 <stephw> antonela: is there a verison you could send me that I could copy and paste the text elsewhere to work with?
14:18:31 <antonela> stephw since you are here :) -- Im reviewing ui for tpo and tpo.org pages, what i need from you is the content for the press page, could you send me what do you like to have at "coverage" section?
14:18:32 <emmapeel> ha!
14:18:33 <antonela> https://lektor-staging.torproject.org/tpo/staging/press/
14:18:43 <antonela> stephw: i have gdoc for you :)
14:18:48 <stephw> great :)
14:18:56 <antonela> let me share with you via email after this meeting
14:19:05 <emmapeel> i have a proposal
14:19:24 <antonela> shoot emmapeel
14:19:32 <emmapeel> when we work with new texts, we work the texts in markdown first, so we can review and translate etc
14:19:42 <stephw> antonela: coverage should be pulled from here https://www.torproject.org/press/press.html.en
14:19:47 <emmapeel> because when you have all this format information in the middle is not good
14:19:54 <stephw> though there are new ones in a ticket that havent been added there yet
14:20:10 <antonela> stephw: ye, that is not super updated, gimme the latest ones too
14:20:14 <antonela> hiro ^^
14:21:17 <antonela> emmapeel: i like it, so is better to have a markdown file for each flyer
14:21:21 <stephw> antonela: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28900
14:21:49 <antonela> those are "coverage" material stephw?
14:22:06 <stephw> yes, the press clips in the spreadsheet
14:22:15 <antonela> oki, we will grab it from there
14:22:22 <stephw> thanks :)
14:22:25 <emmapeel> yeah. we can render it nicely in the trac, everywhere
14:22:25 <antonela> thanks!
14:22:50 <antonela> emmapeel: gotcha, help me with it, will ping you later today to have it in a good shape for you
14:23:03 <emmapeel> sure
14:23:26 <antonela> graciasss
14:23:32 <antonela> elioqoshi you are up
14:23:44 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Thanks!
14:24:12 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> So currently on OONI's side we are knee-deep in mocking up the OONI Explorer Country Pages
14:24:28 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Antonela has been really helpful with reviewing and suggesting patterns
14:25:10 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> As it's a very data heavy page, if you have a quick review and see anything that is off, I'd appreciate some feedback
14:25:54 <antonela> could you mind to link the figma prototype here elioqoshi?
14:26:01 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> (the Figma mockup is here: https://www.figma.com/proto/Z6PtVLW7YkqcTRIRsO2Qzg/Explorer-Country-Pages?node-id=292%3A0&viewport=-4954%2C1681%2C0.693457&scaling=min-zoom  Note: It needs an account to comment unfortunately. Feel free to use anything else
14:26:11 <dunqan> oooo figma
14:26:51 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> (I moved an agenda item up here since it's related to this work as well)
14:26:57 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> (The UX Copy question)
14:27:07 <antonela> yes, we have usability testing coordinated by maria starting tomorrow, will be a general first peek feedback, we want to make sure that we are answering main questions for researchers when they arrive at this overview kind of page
14:27:19 <antonela> yes, go for it
14:28:35 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> So, Maria suggested copy i many places with wording along the lines of:  "Scroll down to check" "Learn more here" "Click here" "Check tests"
14:28:53 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> From a UX perspective I don't think that's ideal as it might be redundant
14:29:19 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> I'd like to confirm this though with some resources you might have on this topic
14:29:55 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Also I'm unsure of the tone of voice of something like: "Explore their measurements!"
14:30:22 <antonela> yes, i also agree that "here" is redundant and also i think we should agree on having "Learn More" vs "View All Measurements"
14:30:55 <hiro> I am here
14:31:04 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> While we don't really have Tone guidelines, I'd like to establish something neutral across Explorer which allows the user to not focus on tones like this in the copy
14:31:08 <antonela> this is very specific to OONI voice tone
14:31:19 <antonela> yes i see your concerns
14:31:28 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Yeah, but I also think it's different from Probe to Explorer
14:31:37 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Probe could be more enthusiastic
14:31:54 <antonela> specially because explorer end users are researchers and probers are not always researchers but civil citizens
14:31:57 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> but Explorer should be very factual, concise, yet simply worded
14:32:07 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> That's what I had in mind at least
14:32:08 <antonela> i agree here
14:32:49 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Regarding "Learn More" I found this to be quite interesting as well: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/learn-more-links/
14:33:18 <antonela> elio, lets use the content Maria already provided and we can discuss about it after this week. We won't have time to review it before this user testing round.\
14:33:46 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Yeah sure. Thinking more of this in the long run
14:33:50 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> We are already tight
14:34:18 <dunqan> That NNGroup article is on point
14:34:33 <dunqan> I used to be very guilty of spamming "find out more" etc. into links
14:34:57 <antonela> yes, let's arrive to today EOD with the most closed version, lets make the left menu clickable so we can use it tomorrow and lets add hotspots also for content going outside, even if is a measurement page we have mocks done
14:35:39 <antonela> elioqoshi ^^
14:36:04 <antonela> dunqan what is your availability on february?
14:36:25 <dunqan> should have a few hours a week if you need anything!
14:36:36 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Will check what the technical limitations are since the nav menu is basically a scroll down the page, not going to any other page
14:37:04 <dunqan> just chuck anything you want at me, happy to help :)
14:37:07 <antonela> elioqoshi, yes yes, i mean the content links like "view all measurements" could go to the mocks you already have
14:37:49 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Yeah I will check where single measurements could be accessed from
14:38:22 <antonela> dunqan yes! I'm working on TBA, the relevant ticket is #28329
14:38:54 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Anyway, that should be all for this topic. I was curious who is going to be at FOSDEM from Tor? I know Antonela is doing a talk (I do as well) at the Open Source Design room
14:38:58 <antonela> pili again, when is the tba a3 release?
14:39:14 <dunqan> antonela – ah cool, shall I get up to speed with that ticket?
14:39:27 <antonela> elioqoshi, yep exactly -- let's talk about fosdem at the end
14:39:38 <antonela> dunqan, i would like another design peer review :)
14:39:55 <dunqan> sure thing!
14:40:04 <pili> I think next week
14:40:08 <antonela> there is a lot of technical things going on there, im happy to answer all your questions like we did the last time
14:40:21 <pili> next tuesday, but we can confirm today at the browser meeting
14:40:26 <antonela> colio, thanks pili
14:40:35 <dunqan> thanks antonela, will shoot you an email or catch you on here once i've caught up
14:40:41 <antonela> thanks youu
14:40:46 <antonela> now yes, fosdem
14:40:52 <antonela> a lot of us are going to be at fosdem
14:41:09 <antonela> elioqoshi and i we have a talk at the Open Design Room
14:41:28 <antonela> lets do beer and work for sure
14:41:39 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> There is also an Open Source Design booth as last year
14:41:39 <antonela> emmapeel and sajolida are going to be there too!
14:41:45 <emmapeel> i go with my Tails hat and i will be meeting up with the linguine people too, to talk about Markdown validation in weblate
14:41:57 <emmapeel> also Erin from loclab is going
14:42:07 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> If we want people to be somehow in touch with the UX team, I will be spending most of my time at the Open Source Design booth
14:42:24 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Does Tor have a booth this year?
14:42:31 <antonela> we don't, we will share
14:42:52 * antonela guess
14:42:52 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Share with whom?
14:43:27 <antonela> not sure, stephw was trying to organize that
14:44:36 <antonela> okeeey, anything else people?
14:44:44 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> That's all from my side
14:45:27 <pili> nope :)
14:46:55 <hiro> groot here
14:47:16 <antonela> ohhh
14:47:17 <antonela> next week
14:47:45 <antonela> i'll be traveling the next week, so its not ux meeting BUT please, leave your updates anyways at the pad
14:47:56 <emmapeel> ok!
14:47:56 * antonela making a comment at the pad
14:48:46 <antonela> done
14:48:51 <antonela> super, that is all folks
14:49:05 <antonela> thanks a lot! see most of you soon!
14:49:05 <pili> thanks everyone!
14:49:10 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Thanks, have a good week!
14:49:21 <ailanthus> bye, thanks!
14:49:22 <antonela> #endmeeting