18:59:36 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor browser 1/22 2019
18:59:36 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jan 22 18:59:36 2019 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:36 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:59:41 <GeKo> hi all!
18:59:57 <GeKo> let's do our weekley meeting today
19:00:10 <pospeselr> hello!
19:00:11 <sysrqb> o/
19:00:17 <mcs> hi
19:00:19 <GeKo> i hope all the US folks had a restful weekend/holiday combo
19:00:24 <sisbell> hi
19:00:29 <igt0> hello
19:00:33 <GeKo> the pad is at https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N
19:00:47 <GeKo> please enter your items and mark things to discuss as bold
19:01:14 <antonela> o/
19:03:32 <pospeselr> I'll have to duck out a bit early today
19:03:44 <pospeselr> FYI
19:04:33 <GeKo> okay let's get started
19:04:49 <GeKo> it seems i am first
19:05:15 <GeKo> first item is releas planning. we have a build1 already from mozilla which we could build upon
19:05:30 <GeKo> that's depending on #29104 getting reviewed
19:05:47 <pili> hi, sorry, I'm a bit late
19:06:06 <GeKo> i thought it might be smart to have someone look over my rebases results given that the procedure was somewhat unusual
19:06:08 * mcs is working on the #29104 review w/brade
19:06:17 <GeKo> due to the tree reformatting
19:06:22 <GeKo> thanks for that!
19:06:27 <pospeselr> I can take a look as well if you'd like more eyes
19:06:43 <mcs> One thing we noticed is that some lines were touched that we did not touch in the original patches, e.g., spaces added.
19:06:45 <GeKo> pospeselr: i have #29082 for you :)
19:06:53 <pospeselr> ok
19:07:38 <mcs> My guess is that slightly different clang-format rules were used for the esr60 reformat. But I am not sure.
19:07:42 <mcs> minor stuff anyway
19:07:51 <GeKo> okay, could be
19:08:19 <GeKo> if there are things that should get into the stable release which are not committed yet, let me know
19:08:40 <GeKo> otherwise i start tagging a release with the result of #29104 and what we have right now
19:09:02 <GeKo> for the alpha i'd like to see as many things as we can get squeezed into
19:09:16 <GeKo> there are no so many alphas left before we'll have a 8.5 stable
19:09:30 <GeKo> which brings me to my next point:
19:09:40 <GeKo> i need help with reviewing my patches
19:10:08 <GeKo> i have all those tickets on the pad and some folks added that could/would be good reviewers
19:10:58 <GeKo> does it work for those who are tentatively assigned?
19:11:11 <GeKo> and we need folks for the (?) tickets
19:11:57 <boklm> this works for me (I removed the '?' on the ones assigned to me)
19:12:13 <sysrqb> same for me
19:13:06 <GeKo> pospeselr seemed to be okay
19:13:09 <pospeselr> i can take on #21805 as well
19:13:17 <GeKo> and mcs/brade are already working on the tickets
19:13:46 <GeKo> igt0: yeah, if you could look over the mobile things, too, that would be neat
19:13:57 <igt0> +1
19:14:04 <GeKo> i tried to keep the behavior between dektop and mobile
19:14:24 <GeKo> so we have a somewhat similar experience
19:14:35 <GeKo> but i have no clue whether that's smart of not
19:15:08 <GeKo> okay, next item
19:15:34 <GeKo> just another gentle reminder to post status updates once a day at least to our tor-dev irc channel
19:15:46 <GeKo> so that everyone is updated on what is going on in the team
19:16:14 <GeKo> should not be that hard to get used to (but i am happy to ping folks for the next weeks and months if needed)
19:17:08 <GeKo> alternatively, if we get annoyed by that let me know and we can change our plan here
19:17:29 <GeKo> but i was under the impression that this was a good idea
19:17:42 <GeKo> that's it form me
19:17:44 <GeKo> *from
19:17:44 <pili> it would definitely help me ;)
19:17:58 <GeKo> yeah
19:18:14 <GeKo> tjr: you are up
19:18:40 <tjr> I am wondering if anyone has a list of the functions you'd check for during the new-esr networking review
19:18:59 <GeKo> not really functions
19:20:06 <GeKo> tjr: https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser-spec.git/tree/audits/FF52_NETWORK_AUDIT is what we check
19:20:17 <GeKo> and there are similar files in the audit folder
19:20:52 <GeKo> (and yes, i need to commit the FF60 one but am waiting on sysrqb's rust doublecheck :) )
19:21:04 <tjr> okay; I will review all this, thanks
19:21:22 <GeKo> so, what i did and mike did was making a huge diff and then grep through the relevant things like *UDP*
19:21:52 <GeKo> looking for changes and following them making sure they are okay
19:22:07 <GeKo> there is no good process for rust code yet, though
19:22:22 <sysrqb> i'm hoping i'll find some time for this again
19:22:28 <GeKo> i think the plan is to establish one with the esr60 audit
19:22:40 <GeKo> because the method we used so far seemed to reach its limits
19:22:58 <GeKo> (at least that was my impression when looking at it)
19:23:09 <GeKo> sysrqb: yeah, i know. so much to do :()
19:23:30 <sysrqb> i was thinking about looking at the intermediate AST and checking that for checking that for risky function calls
19:23:49 <sysrqb> but i never found enogh time for finding how to get that out of the rust compiler
19:25:13 <GeKo> tjr: is there something particularly helpful i could/should do wrt to mingw-w64/clang like this week before you are getting less responsive?
19:25:46 <tjr> maybe summarize where you are with the toolchain and building ff with it and what else you need?
19:25:58 <GeKo> i plan to work on #28238 but i am not sure how much time i will have for that during all the releasing
19:26:15 <GeKo> okay, noted
19:26:55 <GeKo> okay, it seems pili is up!
19:27:18 <pili> hi, just to let you know that I'm experimenting with a Kanban board for our roadmap, mainly for myself
19:27:30 <pili> but feel free to take a look and use it if you feel it's going to be helpful
19:27:44 <pili> my plan is to update it weekly during/after this meeting
19:28:53 <pili> so no actions for anyone yet
19:28:54 <pili> a
19:29:05 <pili> unless you feel like adding/moving things around also :)
19:29:40 <pospeselr> oh neat, it's like trello
19:30:24 <GeKo> interesting
19:31:08 <pili> pospeselr: it's like trello but not as nice :D
19:31:14 <pili> I think it will do the job though
19:31:25 <pili> subtasks are a bit screwy... but I'm still playing
19:31:44 <GeKo> pili: how do you differntiate between "Backlog" and "In Progress"?
19:32:09 <GeKo> like by looking at status updates in #tor-dev?
19:32:13 <GeKo> or...?
19:32:22 <GeKo> the meeting pad?
19:32:23 <pili> it's a fine line... :) so far for In progress I'm seeing if there's any movement on the ticket
19:32:32 <pili> right now, I'm including the meeting pad in my calculations
19:32:45 <pili> _recent_ movement on the ticket
19:32:59 <pili> or at least some indication that work on it was started at some point
19:33:09 <pili> it's probably not super accurate, I only started it today
19:33:21 <GeKo> no worries
19:33:33 <pili> but I was trying to get a better handle on where we were as I was getting a bit lost :)
19:33:35 <GeKo> i am curious how it goes and if it helps optimizing things
19:33:45 <pili> yup, we'll see
19:34:19 <pili> probably it will just mean I annoy more people if I see tickets from the roadmap are not getting any love :)
19:34:27 <GeKo> let me know if i can help with anything in that regard
19:34:35 <pili> yup, I will do, thanks GeKo
19:34:39 <pospeselr> oh hey, when will we start to see alpha builds with #25702 (new icons) patches applied?
19:34:39 <GeKo> could be
19:34:56 <GeKo> once the nightlies are not busted anymore
19:35:09 <GeKo> #29143
19:35:12 <pili> (basically anything in backlog came from the roadmap and was then moved on if I saw activity)
19:35:19 <GeKo> kk
19:35:36 <GeKo> pospeselr: ah, alpha
19:35:47 <GeKo> well, next week this will go out
19:35:54 <GeKo> in case nothing explodes before
19:36:01 <pospeselr> ok cool :)
19:36:20 <GeKo> alright, anything else for the status update section?
19:37:32 <GeKo> okay, discussion time
19:37:42 <GeKo> tjr: you are up
19:38:02 <tjr> Does anyone have thoughts on the media playback email on tbb-dev?
19:38:18 <tjr> This can simply serve as a prod to look at it though
19:38:30 <pospeselr> (sorry to say I have to go, will catch up on the scrollback later)
19:38:33 <antonela> pospeselr, geko \o/
19:39:22 <GeKo> tjr: not right now but i plan to get back to various email threads this week if that's early enough
19:39:30 <tjr> sure
19:40:00 <GeKo> tjr: do we have an idea how problematic this is compared to other fingerprinting vectors?
19:40:56 <GeKo> and i see the mail seems about taking care of my next question about "how common this is"
19:41:24 * tjr nods
19:41:52 <GeKo> tjr: okay, that's quite a bit of stuff to think about
19:42:04 <GeKo> i'll look closer at it tomorrow and think about it
19:42:12 <GeKo> and will reply later this week
19:45:10 <GeKo> okay, anything else for discussion this week?
19:45:29 <pili> yes!
19:45:41 <pili> antonela: just reminded me about the tor browser release meeting...
19:45:43 * pili blushes
19:45:47 <antonela> jiji
19:45:58 <GeKo> i was waiting for that one :)
19:46:04 <pili> I will send an email out
19:46:22 <GeKo> not sure about special guests...
19:46:45 <GeKo> i think things we want to do for the upcoming release have not changed since last time
19:47:28 <sysrqb> oh, GeKo, did you confirm moving this meeting on Mondays 30 min/1 hour earlier is good?
19:47:35 <pili> yup, it will probably be a quick review this week
19:47:46 <GeKo> igt0: does 30min earlier work for you?
19:47:55 <igt0> yep, it does
19:48:00 <sysrqb> :)
19:48:01 <GeKo> like 1830UTC instead of 1900UTC
19:48:07 <GeKo> okay, confirmed then
19:48:17 <GeKo> i'll send an email to tbb-dev
19:48:23 <sysrqb> thanks
19:48:35 <GeKo> and we start the new time and in #tor-meeting2
19:48:40 <GeKo> from next monday on
19:48:56 <pili> +1
19:49:03 <GeKo> (we need the fallback room as the meeting starts to overlap with the network-team folks)
19:49:24 <GeKo> alright. thanks everyone for today *baf*
19:49:27 <GeKo> #endmeeting