14:02:16 <antonela> #startmeeting ux-team
14:02:16 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Mar 12 14:02:16 2019 UTC.  The chair is antonela. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:02:16 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:02:19 <antonela> yess
14:02:22 <antonela> hello people!
14:02:36 <antonela> a new ux team sync this week
14:02:45 <antonela> lets start with updates, if you have items to talk about, add those in the agenda
14:02:55 <antonela> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/v0u5EeW-FN3Ir0beboMmprW6r-iTCOL4ZDf3ZRM1akh
14:04:33 * antonela is writing
14:06:52 <antonela> okey
14:06:55 <antonela> hi T_
14:07:50 <antonela> hiro, emmapeel you around?
14:08:58 <antonela> i added some items at the agenda, they are things that we are working on and other that needs work
14:09:05 <antonela> first one, #28628
14:09:45 <hiro> I am here
14:09:45 <antonela> dunqan, yesterday during the TB meeting people suggested that we need a more catchy way to announce users that something changed, or that we have a new feature
14:10:13 <dunqan> great, agreed!
14:10:19 <antonela> the onboarding part is great, and we are going to do that, but i'm thinking about a subtle animation at the bubble left icon so we can encourage users to click there :)
14:10:43 <antonela> what do you think? then for recurrent users, when they click it we open the onboarding at the "security" tab
14:10:53 <antonela> for new users, we prompt the onboarding at the first one, as always
14:11:26 <dunqan> perhaps a dot on the icon (similar to iOS) to denote updates instead?
14:11:42 <dunqan> or we have plenty room for some text there too
14:12:02 <dunqan> flow sounds good though
14:12:28 <dunqan> the dot/label can be repeated at the appropriate step in the card nav too
14:12:38 <antonela> well, i made an quick update of the copy yesterday https://share.riseup.net/#wsl7bk82wxj0msCUnpC_qA
14:12:45 <slacktopus> Action: elioqoshi checking
14:13:08 <antonela> i like it, i thought also at a [new] label at the left menu too
14:13:55 <antonela> i'll try some options and comment at the ticket, probably before tomorrow when we have the release meeting
14:13:58 <T_> Looks good. I like it too.
14:14:19 <antonela> i don't want to put another thing in your plate dunqan, but if you want to review my update could be great :)
14:14:20 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Can we use the same pattern Firefox uses?
14:14:26 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> In Privacy & Security Settings
14:14:37 <antonela> which one elioqoshi? the three steps?
14:14:38 <dunqan> Yeah no problem antonela – it's not too much work!
14:14:52 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Yep
14:14:55 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Let me screenshot it
14:15:00 <dunqan> assign it over to me :)
14:15:06 <antonela> yeah, dunqan made a version like this at the ticket
14:15:21 <antonela> we had problems with those steps at the new circuit one, people doesn't expect the new tab
14:15:37 <antonela> dunqan, okey great, if you want to jump with some options could be awesome !
14:15:43 <dunqan> sure thing!
14:16:02 <antonela> okey next, dunqan and i we are working on personas
14:16:16 <antonela> we will follow up this conversation at #tor-ux after this meeting
14:16:27 <antonela> if you are interested to see our progress, jump in !
14:16:37 <dunqan> 🙌
14:16:46 <T_> Happy to join up
14:16:57 <antonela> awesome T_, thanks!
14:17:35 <antonela> T_ are you going to be in IFF? I would like to run Tor Browser for Android usability testing
14:18:05 <T_> No, I won't be there. Perhaps we can chat over Skype?
14:18:32 <T_> Didn't get funding
14:19:16 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> antonela, dunqan I mean this
14:19:17 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> https://i.imgur.com/eump1Bc.jpg
14:19:30 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> (sorry for being late, it's hard to share images over IRC)
14:19:46 <hiro> uhu! I have got emojis now in this terminal yay!
14:20:20 <dunqan> Ah yeah I think the settings menu itself is a separate ticket Elio?
14:20:42 <antonela> elioqoshi yeah, we are following they work with trackers, they have 3 steps now. Maybe at some point we could merge both priv and sec configs, but now is not the moment.
14:21:12 <antonela> we also moved the security settings to about
14:21:19 <antonela> about:preferences with this iteration
14:21:35 <dunqan> This was the welcome screen antonela was talking about with the 3 steps (that we're not going with): https://sketch.cloud/s/q8JlM/kaQ8r1R/play
14:21:44 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Okay, then the ticket confuses me. I just checked the latest Sketch prototype
14:21:53 <antonela> T_ oh, i wanted to share my research questions with you to have some feedback, is okey if i email you this week about it?
14:22:45 <dunqan> So we do have a 3-tier settings menu similar to FF Elio
14:22:59 <dunqan> the ticket I'm dropped into is just how to introduce that change to new/existing users
14:23:17 <antonela> yep, we are discussing about the intro
14:23:26 <dunqan> yep
14:23:55 <dunqan> so right now we've got new users covered (who get it in the intro)
14:24:10 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Right, I thought we wanted feedback about the whole thing. Alright
14:24:10 <dunqan> but we now need to attract existing users to it too
14:24:20 <dunqan> ah, sorry for the confusion!
14:25:48 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> No worries, I'm mostly in OONI land and need to digest any other things a bit heh
14:25:51 <hiro> hey all if I stop responding is because my laptop battery has run out and I need to find an adapter
14:25:53 <antonela> yes, in my point of view, we are in an intermediate step for having a very usable security settings. This iteration was necessary to remove the slider and put global configuration at about:preferences. But the next one, should aim to have more flexibility for users to allow/disable features per tab. That will make easier to cover brokerage websites escenarios and improve the experience on trusted sites.
14:26:14 <antonela> is a hard one tho! #25658 has the long thread discussion about it
14:27:29 <antonela> folks at firefox are solving similar problems too, websites brokerage when you disable trackers and cookies, users who downgrade privacy settings and never go up again, and so on
14:28:00 <antonela> hiro its good, thanks for the advice!
14:28:17 <antonela> groot!
14:28:28 <antonela> you are next elioqoshi!
14:29:24 <T_> That sounds great Antonela. You can send an email. That works.
14:29:42 <antonela> super, thanks T_
14:32:00 <antonela> do we lost elio?
14:32:32 <antonela> one more thing that is not at the agenda, pili, i submitted the outreachy project \o/
14:32:37 <pili> yes!
14:32:40 <antonela> do you have a way to review if everything is good?
14:32:46 <pili> unfortunately I don't think we raised enough money :(
14:32:52 <antonela> ohh
14:32:59 <antonela> hhaha i'm happy / i'm sad moment
14:33:06 <pili> I would submit at 16UTC if I hear otherwise
14:33:13 <pili> but I'm not hopeful
14:33:18 <pili> we can try for the December round though
14:33:20 <antonela> its fine, we have the description for a future grant
14:33:25 <antonela> yeah
14:33:40 <pili> yup
14:33:41 <pili> thanks for helping out with this
14:33:57 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> I'm here
14:33:58 <antonela> no, thanks you!
14:34:05 <antonela> oh great elioqoshi
14:34:34 <antonela> you have the mic :)
14:34:48 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Cool Cool
14:34:59 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> We are doing an MVP for the landing page of OONI Explorer
14:35:16 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> I'm saying MVP because we don't have the time right now to make a fully fledged landing page for the beta
14:35:31 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> I'd like to have your feedback on the current design for this
14:35:42 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> https://www.figma.com/file/OElUj1XR5SmbXUpWVzl8iton/OONI-Landing-Page?node-id=1%3A393
14:36:21 <antonela> did maria provide any content for this page?
14:36:43 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Not yet
14:36:44 <antonela> im sure she have ideas about what we want to have there
14:37:13 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Arturo provided an outline and think this looks good for the beta, apart a few things here and there
14:37:22 <antonela> okey, let's put her in the loop so we can work with the right content. UI is good, but i want to make sure that we are saying the most important and useful things about Explorer there
14:37:36 <antonela> oh where is that? can you link me?
14:38:09 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Quoting from Slack
14:38:16 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> > what I think we should include in it are: • Some top level stats of coverage of OONI measurements (total number of measurements, countries and networks covered, etc.) • A run down of the available functionality in OONI Explorer • A section to display some highlights from the measurements In light of the fact that we would like to release a beta of OONI Explorer by next week, I would suggest this is done in two steps: 1. Make an
14:38:17 <slacktopus> OONI Explorer landing page which just cleans up and tidies up the existing landing page at: http://ooni-explorer-next.test.ooni.io/ that we can ship as part of the beta (edited) 2. Work on the more complete mock which includes more variations and elements to include in it
14:38:41 <antonela> okey i see
14:39:09 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> So I hope to have more sections for the stable release
14:39:20 <antonela> how do you prefer feedback on it? there is a github ticket? figma comments?
14:39:31 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Figma comments would be best
14:39:44 <antonela> oki, can i have this week?
14:40:27 <antonela> what other things are remaining from countries? Is the figma file ready to hand-off to devs?
14:40:53 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> I'm not sure on the timeline. Ideally we would have this implemented by Friday as we are late already
14:41:04 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Countries has been handed off some weeks ago yes
14:41:51 <antonela> okey, so i'll leave comments today so :)
14:41:57 <antonela> perfect elioqoshi
14:41:58 <antonela> thanks a lot
14:42:37 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Some notes from my side regarding feedback for the landing page  - The features sections are inspired from the new Tor website - Not sure about the icons / illustrations in the 3 features. I would like to go with something more sophisticated but I'm out of ideas (and not the best illustrator) - Not sure about Download OONI Probe in the Menu - maxWidth needs to be narrower I guess
14:42:41 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> Thanks as well!
14:43:01 <antonela> gotcha, will think about it
14:43:14 <antonela> im wondering if emmapeel is around, ggus wants to print our outreach material in portuguese and if the localization is done i can make the printable versions so fast
14:43:41 <antonela> also, i'm wondering what is the status of the tpo.org localization, what is done, what is not
14:45:03 <antonela> pili, could you help me with keeping it on track?
14:45:15 <pili> yup will do
14:45:19 <slacktopus> <hellais> This is the relevant github issue for the highlights landing page: https://github.com/ooni/explorer/issues/33
14:45:23 <antonela> super, thanks a lot
14:45:34 <slacktopus> <hellais> I added to it the figma link shared by @elioqoshi
14:45:35 <T_> Hello Elio. The OONI landing page looks great. It's seems different though from the design shown during the UX interviews?
14:45:39 <pili> I think emmapeel was traveling yesterday/today
14:45:49 <antonela> thanks hellais
14:45:55 <antonela> pili, got it
14:46:07 <antonela> okey people, anything else? am i missing something?
14:46:13 <slacktopus> <elioqoshi> T_  Thanks! This is only the landing page which is the first view. Deeper you will be able to explore data and other things (Search, Countries, Results)
14:46:22 <pili> I think the translation has started
14:46:25 <pili> though :)
14:46:32 <slacktopus> <hellais> This issue is also relevant: https://github.com/ooni/explorer/issues/32
14:46:54 <pili> it seems there's still changes happening with the copy though?
14:47:01 <pili> I thought it was frozen already...
14:47:02 <T_> Ok, understood
14:47:02 <slacktopus> <hellais> We are now focusing on making some that is presentable as a landing page for the beta of OONI Explorer we want to launch next week
14:47:19 <slacktopus> <hellais> But the full version of it should also include some highlights from data present in OONI Explorer
14:48:39 <antonela> pili, regarding what? tpo? or outreach material? both are frizzed
14:48:56 <antonela> hellais, i understand now, thanks
14:50:52 <antonela> bueno, are we groot?
14:51:13 <dunqan> groot!
14:51:39 <pili> tpo
14:52:20 <antonela> the only content that got reviews was about/history pili
14:52:58 <antonela> all the other pages were freezed a few weeks ago
14:52:59 <pili> ok, I'll follow up with emmapeel about this :)
14:53:02 <pili> I thought so also
14:53:02 <antonela> super, thanks
14:53:16 <antonela> okey lets call it
14:53:17 <antonela> thanks all!
14:53:18 <antonela> #endmeeting