18:00:47 <pili> #startmeeting  tor-browser-release 05/22
18:00:47 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed May 22 18:00:47 2019 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:00:47 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:00:57 <pili> who's around? :)
18:01:02 * GeKo stumbles in
18:01:13 <pili> here's the pad: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/EPs6MFTsNAh8s3Rs9tT-dPIfnK1vdFbqbkfxJSWuUii
18:01:26 <pili> feel free to add in any discussion points, updates, etc... :)
18:01:51 <antonela> o/
18:03:28 <pili> ok, let's get started while people arrive
18:03:38 <pili> I feel it might be a short one today... ;)
18:04:34 <pili> so we release 8.5 stable yesterday and 9.0a1 today 🎉
18:04:48 <pili> is there much fallout from that so far? I've seen a few tickets :)
18:04:50 <sstevenson> i’m here
18:05:31 <pili> hi sstevenson :)
18:05:34 <pili> and everyone else :D
18:05:37 <sstevenson> hi :-)
18:05:44 <GeKo> `tbb-8.5-issues` is collecting things
18:05:57 <GeKo> i need to catch up on the past several hours
18:06:11 <GeKo> but in case nothing exploded meanwhile
18:06:27 <GeKo> then we have some bugs, yes, but the sky is not falling
18:07:03 <pili> there's a few tickets, but I haven't read to see if they are 8.5 related :)
18:07:16 <pari> o/
18:07:20 <antonela> so far, are passwords lost?
18:07:47 <GeKo> no, i don't think so
18:08:00 <GeKo> just not available
18:08:20 <GeKo> unless one sets security.nocertdb to false
18:08:23 <GeKo> (again)
18:08:29 <antonela> i see
18:08:55 <pili> that's going to be unpopular...
18:09:23 <GeKo> yeah
18:09:34 <GeKo> i think that will be one of the fixes in a point release
18:10:02 <antonela> I can work on #30560
18:10:16 <antonela> but it was a long discussion at that moment
18:10:40 <antonela> maybe removing the hamburguer menu + the searchbar from the image will make it works
18:10:51 <GeKo> what do you mean with long discussion=
18:10:53 <GeKo> ?
18:11:07 <antonela> we talked a lot about that situation
18:11:14 * antonela goes to find the ticket
18:11:22 <sysrqb> i wrote too much? :)
18:11:30 <GeKo> i think i like sysrqb's suggestion just to focus on the end of the awesombar +  the new icons
18:11:59 <GeKo> that should work however you have styled your toolbar in the past
18:12:19 <GeKo> and focuses exactly on the part where the icons are actually injected:
18:12:26 <GeKo> immediately after the url bar
18:12:42 <mcs> +1 (although it would be good to see what that looks like in an image)
18:12:49 <GeKo> i forgot about the past url bar layout, alas :(
18:12:54 <mcs> me too
18:13:07 * GeKo is getting old
18:16:17 <antonela> jiji its fine, will back to the ticket
18:17:06 <pili> ok
18:17:09 <pili> let's move on then ;)
18:17:44 <pili> any other issues we want to discuss or shall we move on to the discussion points?
18:18:41 <pili> ok, so we released the donate link
18:18:58 <pili> do we want to do anything more catchy for one of the next releases?
18:19:57 <GeKo> talking about next relases
18:19:58 <sstevenson> we are considering a ‘bug squash’ mini campaign, but it seems like too quick a turnaround for 6/3
18:20:01 <GeKo> *releases
18:20:10 <GeKo> i think we want to build next week 8.5.1
18:20:21 <GeKo> fixing the most painful things
18:20:45 <pili> souns good
18:20:54 <GeKo> and #30541
18:20:55 <pili> for 8.5.1
18:21:07 <GeKo> which has na interesting story :(
18:21:10 <GeKo> yes
18:21:15 <pili> and then the next one (8.5.2) 2 weeks after that?
18:21:16 <GeKo> and we want 9.0a2 as well
18:21:23 <pili> ok
18:21:28 <GeKo> i don't know about 8.5.2 yet
18:22:00 <GeKo> i'd be happy if we just pick up the next batch of firefox security fixes up for 8.5.2
18:22:34 <pili> sure
18:22:35 <pili> sure
18:23:37 <GeKo> (which should help solving nick's question)
18:24:35 <pili> so 9.0a2 next week also then? including ?
18:25:20 <GeKo> at least builing later on in the week
18:25:27 <pili> ok
18:25:30 <GeKo> and releasing early in the week thereafter
18:25:39 <pili> cool
18:26:34 <pili> so, back to sstevenson and the bug squash campaign... were you thinking of adding that into about:tor also? :)
18:27:13 <sstevenson> we haven’t fleshed out the campaign yet, but it would run for 1 month.
18:27:38 <sstevenson> i think adding something to TB would boost the campaign, but not sure if the timing would work
18:29:25 <GeKo> what does bug squash campaign mean?
18:29:30 <pili> I guess depending on when the next security update is, we could either use that release as the end of the campaign or the start...
18:29:52 <pili> GeKo: is the next security update the same as the ESR 60.8 release date?
18:30:09 <GeKo> hopefully :)
18:30:25 <sstevenson> isa hasn’t given me all the details, but basically we are trying to raise a certain amount to deal with certain bugs
18:31:05 <mcs> It might be bad timing to include browser bugs (we will be very focused on the ESR 68 transition for the next several months)
18:31:06 <pili> so, from my notes... that's out on 2019-07-09
18:31:07 <GeKo> which bugs?
18:31:36 <pili> GeKo: I think the team could decide
18:31:39 <sstevenson> mcs good point. i’ll bring that up to isa
18:32:34 <pili> and yes, I agree with mcs :)
18:32:40 <GeKo> i don't understand the idea behind that campaign
18:32:47 <pili> july - september will be pretty much 100% on ESR transition
18:33:09 <pili> GeKo: I believe that you match an amount of money raised to a bug fixed based on the number of man hours/cost to fix
18:33:12 <GeKo> i mean we have a bug bounty program and such
18:33:30 <pili> e.g thanks to the money you raised we were able to close bugs x, y and z
18:34:16 <mcs> So we are not asking people to open new bugs, but we are promising to fix certain things if enough $ is raised?
18:34:35 <pili> regardless of whether we include tor browser bugs or not though, we could still advertise the campagin on tor browser
18:34:51 <sstevenson> i’m not sure if we plan to promise certain bugs will be fixed
18:35:31 <GeKo> okay, i guess we wait for some more details to understand the idea
18:35:36 <GeKo> :)
18:35:37 <sstevenson> isa hasn’t given me all of her brainstorm notes - sorry this isn’t fleshed out
18:36:16 <sstevenson> knowing the 7/9 date, though, we plan on a banner then - maybe not for the bug squash campaign, but something more general
18:38:58 <pili> ok, I'll add a note to remember this mid june
18:39:07 <pili> so we can plan for it :)
18:39:20 <pili> I can create a ticket also
18:40:16 <antonela> we can use the same banner we used for the end of year campaign, i mean, the structure/code
18:40:27 <antonela> we can change the copy and the colors
18:40:53 <sstevenson> how much time do we need to leave for localization?
18:41:28 <pili> 2 weeks more or less
18:41:35 <pili> #30577
18:44:20 <sstevenson> great i’ll get with the team and decide how to best use the space.
18:45:20 <pili> ok, anything else on the banner? :)
18:46:41 <pili> seems not
18:46:52 <pili> any other requests/questions/comments? :)
18:47:24 <sysrqb> i added the item about the wiki page
18:47:39 <sysrqb> but this may not be the best place for discussing it
18:47:52 <pili> I think it's a good place to bring it up :)
18:48:06 <pili> and we can discuss it with the rest of the team on Tuesday also
18:48:42 <pili> we can update it during these meetings then :D
18:48:43 <sysrqb> okay, that works. basically, i noticed on https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/doc/TorBrowser
18:48:55 <sysrqb> there's a link to a non-existant page for the release schedule
18:49:14 <pili> hehe, oh dear
18:49:20 <sysrqb> it seems like having a public page where we publish our next planned release would be helpful
18:49:29 <pili> yup
18:49:31 <sysrqb> haha, yeah :)
18:49:41 <sysrqb> i know GeKo has plans in his head
18:49:52 <sysrqb> but i don't know if many other people know them :)
18:50:07 <pili> I'm trying to do some mind reading every now and then ;)
18:50:26 <GeKo> i am fine with making a wiki page if it's helpful for people
18:50:39 <pili> the main issue would be maintenance
18:50:42 <GeKo> it's just another page  we ened to keep updated
18:50:45 <pili> but I'd be happy to keep it updated
18:51:02 <GeKo> and the page should not siffer much from mozilla's schedule
18:51:07 <pili> I already have my "master plan" spreadsheet where I try to track this
18:51:08 <GeKo> *differ
18:51:11 <pili> yup
18:51:42 <sysrqb> yeah, i was thinking it could say something like "we follow mozilla rapid release schedule [here] plus the below additional point releases"
18:51:45 <sysrqb> or something like that
18:51:54 <GeKo> which is why i was not sure yet whether the effort is worth it
18:52:07 <sysrqb> but pili, i think your idea of updating it during these meeting may work well
18:52:20 <sysrqb> even if only adding the next one or two releases
18:52:31 <antonela> is basically making public this meeting notes
18:52:48 <GeKo> sounds good
18:52:49 <sysrqb> but, as an example, when nickm asked earlier when the next alpha release would be - i didn't know the answer
18:52:50 <mcs> the page could even mention this meeting (and maybe also include a disclaimer: subject to change, etc.)
18:52:55 <GeKo> whatever works for everyone hee
18:52:57 <GeKo> *here
18:53:21 <pili> mcs:+1
18:53:53 <sysrqb> sounds good to me
18:54:18 <pili> ok, let's bring this up on Tuesday to finalise the discussion with the rest of the team
18:54:35 <sysrqb> yep.
18:54:58 <pili> great! :)
18:55:01 <pili> anything else?
18:57:05 <pili> ok, let's end it here then
18:57:08 <pili> thanks everyone! :)
18:57:11 <pili> #endmeeting