16:00:39 <pili> #startmeeting websites 07/31
16:00:39 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Jul 31 16:00:39 2019 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:39 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:40 <pili> hmm
16:00:43 <pili> there we go
16:00:52 <pili> hello everyone :)
16:01:09 <pili> here's the pad: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/H1QuEJhLTUNTsW36n0KZv6L1FNBeb74Bbb3TNZ6Yq74
16:01:28 <pili> I was in the middle of checking what's outstanding but maybe we can do it together
16:01:41 <pili> Let's start with the Training section
16:01:51 * antonela is loading
16:03:25 <pili> best practices still needs review from stephw
16:03:46 <pili> I need to fix resources table
16:03:54 <pili> for soft launch we just add the languages we have
16:04:17 <pili> ggus had a great idea that the different language materials should be linked to the language dropdown
16:04:42 <pili> so if you're in the spanish version of the community portal you will see the spanish slides
16:05:03 <pili> for soft launch we can do this manually by adding the slides with the right names in the right place
16:05:14 <emmapeel> yeah that would be nice, the slides localized
16:05:14 <hiro> links can be localised
16:05:26 <hiro> we do this already for download
16:05:27 <pili> for public launch let's try to get the localization pipeline hooked up to the new training materials repo (if we can get that to work)
16:05:48 <emmapeel> or maybe we can have a table like in the downloads  https://www.torproject.org/download/
16:05:51 <pili> hiro: cool, I'll check that out in tpo
16:06:26 <hiro> once we have the slides localised I think it is better if I set it up because this might be simpler than tpo downloads
16:06:36 <emmapeel> pili: you mean the outreach repo? yeah i havent looked on the localization yet. the localization of the community portal is also not done yet, we need to finish the strings. i have it on the sandbox atm
16:06:49 <pili> emmapeel: we have a training repo also :)
16:07:12 <pili> emmapeel: yeah, that's fine, stephw hasn't got round to reviewing all the content yet either
16:07:40 <pili> there's also a lot of relays content that ggus is adding that will need to be localised
16:08:03 <pili> my suggestion for the workflow is: when a page is finished it should be set to needs-review in dip
16:08:08 <pili> then stephw can take a look
16:08:18 <pili> and once she has reviewed she can move to needs-translation
16:08:39 <pili> and then we know that the strings are fixed for localization
16:08:40 <pili> does that make sense?
16:08:49 <ggus> yes
16:08:50 <emmapeel> yes
16:09:09 <ggus> in the last month i was focusing in relay-operations part
16:09:53 <emmapeel> (if you want to see how the strings look in transifex, you can join the sandbox project and see them there: https://www.transifex.com/otf/tor-project-sandbox/dashboard/ let me know if you run in trouble)
16:10:12 <pili> emmapeel: thanks, I will try to :D
16:10:39 <pili> what does everyone think about code of conduct for trainers?
16:10:52 <pili> I linked to the Tor Project CoC
16:11:06 <pili> do we think we need to add any special clauses/additions for trainers?
16:11:42 <pili> it's currently in needs-review in any case
16:12:40 <pili> shall we move on to localization section?
16:13:05 <pili> becoming a tor translator is in needs-review
16:13:30 <pili> so is current status
16:14:09 <ggus> pili, one thing
16:14:12 <pili> go :)
16:14:20 <ggus> back to trainers part
16:14:40 <ggus> we should copy and paste this to the portal: https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/code_of_conduct.txt
16:14:45 <ggus> so we can have this resource translated
16:15:53 <pili> yes, we should have it translated
16:16:10 <pili> at the same time I don't want to keep multiple copies
16:16:14 <emmapeel> yes
16:16:17 <pili> that gitweb link should be the source of truth
16:16:27 <ggus> yes
16:16:36 <hiro> torgit is the absolute source of truth!
16:16:39 <pili> ideally we'd somehow pull it in to lektor from there
16:16:40 <pili> *somehow*
16:16:52 <hiro> like a submodule?
16:17:11 <hiro> or a clone at build?
16:17:45 <emmapeel> the text should be changed to be localized...
16:18:40 <pili> hiro: not sure, whatever is easiest/best :)
16:18:47 <pili> hiro: what would you do?
16:19:08 <hiro> depends
16:19:15 <hiro> do we want it available only on the website?
16:19:25 <ggus> emmapeel: what do you mean?
16:19:27 <hiro> or also when we work locally?
16:20:20 <emmapeel> ggus: well, the lines have to be fixed, because otherwise the strings are going to become separated when translating
16:20:39 <pili> hiro: I think only on the website
16:20:44 <ggus> emmapeel: ok
16:21:28 <pili> so, it sounds like we need to create a separate ticket under that community repo to "fix" the code of conduct for localization?
16:21:33 <emmapeel> ggus: like every phrase in one line, no juntify
16:21:42 <pili> not to be confused with the web/community repo...
16:21:45 <hiro> ok so I think we can just sync the repot at build
16:22:15 <pili> hiro: ok, shall I create a ticket for this? I think it's fine to not have it until public launch
16:22:39 <hiro> yep please issue in dip is fine
16:22:46 <ggus> pili: we will need to translate to spanish, tho
16:23:03 <pili> :/
16:23:18 <ggus> i mean, it's already done in trac
16:23:26 <pili> oh, hmm
16:23:45 <ggus> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2018MexicoCity/CodigoDeConducta
16:23:47 <pili> can we add that translation to https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git
16:24:04 <pili> in a way that is compatible with lektor and its localization plugin
16:24:41 <pili> e.g we call it https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/code_of_conduct+es.txt or similar...
16:24:54 <emmapeel> to be compatbiel with the translation systems it should be fed to the localization system, and then translated. otherwise it will not be linked to the other text
16:25:24 <emmapeel> that is why it is important to plublish the things first in a lektor or other localizable platform, and then translate
16:25:31 <hiro> pili on the point of view of lektor all is needed is something in the link that gives the locale
16:25:39 <hiro> either in the name
16:25:42 <emmapeel> that is why i always ask to add it to lektor and only after that localize
16:26:26 <emmapeel> the problem with having two separate sources comes when there is a change in one lineof the original source, then we dont know if we changed that line in the translation, or in which language, etc
16:26:39 <emmapeel> you need to read both documents again totally to see where the difference is
16:27:31 <hiro> but we do not plan to add this to lektor tho
16:27:42 <hiro> just sync the repository and link the txt
16:27:47 <emmapeel> well, ggus was talking about adding it
16:28:14 <emmapeel> 16:18 < ggus> we should copy and paste this to the portal: https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/code_of_conduct.txt
16:28:17 <emmapeel> 16:18 < ggus> so we can have this resource translated
16:28:34 <hiro> but I think pili then said we wanted just a link?
16:28:39 <pili> hiro: right
16:29:04 * antonela added outreach material to the outreach material repo \o/ https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/community/outreach
16:29:07 <hiro> I think if we want just a link it is easier
16:29:24 <emmapeel> yeah me too :D but then is not translated
16:29:25 <pili> well, I want to see the content in the community portal
16:29:38 <pili> but for it to be imported from community/policies.git
16:29:43 <pili> maybe this isn't possible
16:29:44 <pili> so
16:29:53 * antonela writing some printing recommendations :)
16:30:08 <pili> 1. we just have a link to different localized versions
16:30:32 <hiro> we cannot translate txt files?
16:30:41 <pili> 2. we somehow import content from policies.git into community portal at build time
16:30:42 <pili> 3. ?
16:30:47 <pili> those are the options I can see
16:30:48 <ggus> if we copy that document and say it's now our "code of conduct for trainers", gitweb doesn't need to be the source of truth
16:31:17 <pili> ggus: true, that makes more sense if they are somehow slightly different anyway though
16:31:29 <emmapeel> yes, actually we can translate it separated from the lektor
16:32:13 <pili> ok, let's move with the link idea to begin with
16:32:34 <ggus> pili: ok
16:32:40 <pili> in english it can point to policies.git and in spanish it can point to trac
16:32:41 <pili> as a soft launch solution
16:32:44 <pili> while we work out the best way to do it for public launch? :)
16:33:12 <pili> yay/nay? :)
16:33:32 <pili> or, option 2 we just copy the text for soft launch
16:34:34 <ggus> ok, it works. but let's open a ticket with this discussion
16:34:39 <pili> ok, let's do the link then and move on :)
16:34:55 <pili> https://dip.torproject.org/web/community/issues/76
16:35:55 <pili> ok, back to localization
16:36:06 <pili> https://community.torproject.org/localization/translate-strings/ <- this is empty, emmapeel do we still need this section?
16:36:38 <emmapeel> pili: no
16:36:45 <emmapeel> we agred on deleting it
16:36:56 <emmapeel> maybe the folder is there, i will have a look
16:37:30 <emmapeel> i was testing the code of conduct directly on transifex... the strings are separated... but well i can fix the strings and upload maybe
16:37:31 <pili> ok
16:37:42 <pili> let me create an issue for that
16:37:50 <pili> then https://community.torproject.org/localization/translation-problem/ is in needs review
16:37:59 <pili> so I think we're in good shape there
16:38:39 <pili> Outreach section...
16:38:58 <pili> this is really empty
16:39:16 <pili> I think we're going to remove Speakers section and just have the link to request a speaker
16:39:18 <ggus> we agreed to remove Speakers section
16:39:22 <ggus> yes
16:39:27 <emmapeel> pili: done!
16:39:45 <emmapeel> no ned of ticket
16:40:04 <pili> oops :)
16:40:19 <pili> oh, you meant translate strings :)
16:40:26 <emmapeel> yes
16:40:43 <pili> Street team kit, I guess we'll point to outreach repo :)
16:40:49 <ggus> yes
16:41:03 <ggus> we could have a table like the slides
16:41:06 <pili> yup
16:41:16 <pili> and "How to talk about Tor" I forget what we decided there
16:41:23 <antonela> what else we need there besides the outreach flyers?
16:42:00 <ggus> i looked in our old portal, and i didn't find good material to move to "how to talk about tor"
16:42:00 <pili> maybe files to print stickers?
16:42:40 <pili> hmm, maybe we can add the new "No Dark Web" materials from the Stockholm session
16:42:41 <pili> there'll be something coming out soon from that
16:43:33 <pili> I'll leave "How to talk about Tor" as it is for now for soft launch
16:43:38 <pili> (or maybe hide it)
16:43:51 <pili> and we can have some content for public launch
16:43:58 <pili> anything else on outreach? everyone good here?
16:44:16 <ggus> what about upcoming events?
16:44:35 <ggus> i don't know if we find a good solution to import from blog.tpo
16:44:40 <pili> ah, yes
16:44:41 <pili> we were going to try to import an ical for this
16:44:42 <pili> possibly from nextcloud
16:46:09 <hiro> blog tpo has rss feed
16:46:11 <hiro> for events
16:46:24 <hiro> I think I can manage to import that
16:47:43 <pili> ok
16:47:56 <pili> ggus: do you think we need it for soft launch?
16:48:04 <pili> or can it wait until public launch?
16:48:56 <emmapeel> oh, one thing... not sure if is part of the community portal but people 'from other projects' feels they have been taken out of the website wit the new layout, maybe we could add other tor-related projects somewhere, like OONI or Tails? or maybe in tpo?
16:49:13 <pili> emmapeel: that will go in the developer portal
16:49:16 <emmapeel> oops, i was meant to wait until the previous topic was finished, sorry
16:49:19 <pili> which is loooong overdue :)
16:49:39 <ggus> pili: i can postponed to public launch
16:49:45 <emmapeel> ok cool
16:49:55 <ggus> *we
16:50:00 <pili> ok
16:50:40 <pili> I don't even want to dive into relay operations in the 10 minutes we have left... :)
16:50:41 <pili> ggus: any highlights?
16:50:45 <pili> I guess we need stephw to review?
16:51:20 <pili> or are we happy because it's been in the wiki for a while?
16:51:45 <ggus> the content it's pretty much ok, we will need to find broken links
16:51:50 <ggus> and fix
16:52:07 <pili> ok, so it's a case of clicking through and seeing
16:52:15 <ggus> and replace some bitrot docs
16:52:39 <pili> who would be a good person to review this content?
16:53:42 <ggus> someone that's always replying to tor-relays mailing list? maybe teor?
16:54:13 <pili> ok, I'll see if I can get some "volunteers" for this :)
16:54:42 <pili> shall we move on to onion services?
16:54:43 <pili> I still need to update that layout
16:54:44 <pili> I'm waiting for Friday as my community portal development day :P
16:55:09 <ggus> the onion services section needs some love
16:55:12 <pili> yup
16:55:22 <pili> it should be easy enough though
16:55:27 <pili> I'm happy to do it :)
16:55:29 <ggus> but the relay part is consuming my time
16:56:40 <pili> yeah
16:56:41 <pili> that's fine :)
16:56:48 <pili> ok, anything else people?
16:57:00 <pili> I had 2 other non-community portal items to discuss
16:57:07 <pili> I don't think anyone else is in here after
16:57:16 <ggus> i'm ok!
16:57:18 <pili> is everyone ok to continue with the final 2 items?
16:58:09 <ggus> yes
16:58:40 <pili> ok, Blog...
16:59:03 <antonela> i replied to hiro's email but i think i lost some background there
16:59:12 <antonela> what is the plan for the blog pili?
16:59:14 <pili> should we fix what is there or look into moving to something that is not drupal?
16:59:30 <clash> is it .onion or .Onion btw? I think this was previously discussed but I don't remember
16:59:31 <pili> well, I would like to move to something else
16:59:36 <pili> but it's not my decision
16:59:48 <pili> and also I think we're waiting to see if we can get someone else to help out on drupal
16:59:55 <pili> which could buy us some time
17:00:08 <pili> in the meantime hiro tried to fix the comment layout issues herself
17:00:18 <pili> but she wanted some of your help antonela
17:00:31 <antonela> ye, i have zero drupal experience
17:00:40 <pili> I think that's where we are at
17:01:08 <hiro> I don't wnat help on drupal
17:01:27 <hiro> I wanted just to know if that was something we wanted to move forward or not
17:02:01 <ggus> we could use lektor as a blog platform?
17:02:04 <pili> right, also because she started using the styleguide on the blog to try to fix the current layout issues, right?
17:02:46 <pili> ok, I think this will be a topic for vegas :)
17:03:25 <pili> let's leave the blog discussion here for now, I don't think there's an easy answer
17:04:05 <pili> the final thing I had was this issue from dkg: #31296
17:04:39 <pili> and a related one #31254
17:04:42 <pili> should we go ahead with the instructions in  #31296 ?
17:04:47 <emmapeel> yep
17:04:50 <pili> I can test the macos instructions
17:05:31 <pili> any other comments on that?
17:06:02 <ggus> pili: i think we need to wait dkg finish to update the instructions
17:06:06 <pili> ok
17:06:23 <antonela> we also have https://dip.torproject.org/web/tpo/issues/6
17:06:43 <antonela> if someone is going to work on this, there are a few tickets opened about it
17:06:56 <pili> yeah, it's a bit of a mini project
17:07:18 <emmapeel> yeah is an important thing to let users know about how to do it, specially newbies
17:07:27 <antonela> #30259
17:08:02 <pili> ok, this looks like it's going to be a longer term thing
17:08:12 <pili> I'll add it to my backlog to put together a plan for this
17:10:05 <pili> ok
17:10:08 <pili> anything else? :)
17:10:51 <ggus> do we have google summer of docs participants?
17:11:51 <pili> we do, but I'll wait for it to be announced publicly before sharing here :)
17:12:00 <ggus> \o/ awesome!
17:12:05 <pili> I can share with people privately if they are interested :)
17:12:29 <antonela> yes, i am!
17:12:36 <antonela> when they start?
17:12:40 <ggus> i like surprises
17:12:44 <pili> September
17:12:55 <antonela> i dont like surprises
17:12:56 <antonela> haha
17:12:57 <antonela> ok cool
17:13:09 <antonela> is there a scope of work?
17:13:19 <antonela> will be docs
17:13:24 <antonela> dev.tpo?
17:13:25 <ggus> docs.tpo right
17:13:28 <ggus> ?
17:13:28 <pili> I'll pm you :P
17:13:33 <pili> and no
17:13:42 <pili> it's not docs.tpo or dev.tpo :)
17:13:47 <ggus> oh no
17:13:47 <pili> ok, I'm going to close the meeting
17:13:54 <pili> we can carry on speculating elsewhere ;)
17:13:57 <pili> #endmeeting