14:00:05 <antonela> #startmeeting ux team
14:00:05 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Aug 20 14:00:05 2019 UTC.  The chair is antonela. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:00:05 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:00:08 <antonela> hi emmapeel!
14:00:20 <pili> hi
14:00:27 <emmapeel> hello
14:00:32 <antonela> hi pili!
14:00:40 <antonela> how are you folks :)
14:01:13 <pili> still tired :/
14:01:14 <antonela> lets use the regular pad for updates and discussion items
14:01:15 <antonela> https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-2019-keep
14:01:18 <antonela> oh no pili
14:01:20 <antonela> is just tuesday!
14:01:35 <pili> I know, vacations are not good for the body clearly :P
14:01:48 <emmapeel> yeah is hard to come back
14:01:49 <antonela> you need vacs for the vacs
14:02:26 <emmapeel> antonela: are you in europe already? i kind of repented of not going to cccamp
14:02:36 <antonela> thurayya you around?
14:02:47 <antonela> emmapeel: im not making the camp
14:02:50 <thurayya> yess
14:02:51 <thurayya> hi!
14:02:54 <antonela> hey nah o/
14:03:09 <thurayya> hello o/
14:03:35 <antonela> emmapeel: dismiss that fomo, you are good at home :D
14:03:55 <emmapeel> yeah! fuck fomo yolo ftw
14:04:16 <antonela> haha
14:04:38 <antonela> okey lets do it
14:05:18 <antonela> hi T_ o/
14:05:24 <clash> o/ I need to go out today, will try to keep up :)
14:05:49 <T_> Hello Antonela. Glad to be here
14:05:54 <antonela> hey clash! thanks -- stephw is back from OOO so maybe you both can sync about upcoming blogposts and cover images needs
14:06:08 <antonela> hi Tunde, thanks for coming :)
14:06:49 <antonela> so, first item is mine
14:07:30 <emmapeel> 14:05 <+antonela> lets use the regular pad for updates and discussion items
14:07:33 <emmapeel> 14:05 <+antonela> https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-2019-keep
14:07:46 <antonela> thanks emmapeel <3
14:08:04 <emmapeel> i thought maybe T_ did not see it
14:08:25 <clash> hi antonela, I was thinking of making cover images for the most used ones first  like TB releases
14:08:54 <antonela> clash: awesome, looking forward to see them
14:08:58 <antonela> clash: thanks!
14:09:05 <antonela> so, i'm working with thurayya on creating the feedback/reporting docs for communities running user research as we discussed during the stockholm meeting
14:09:16 <clash> shouldn't take long!
14:09:30 <antonela> im wondering what is the best place to host that material
14:10:15 <antonela> i failed in previous intents on doing it on the wiki and trac, so maybe is a good time to do it in a proper place like https://dip.torproject.org/ux/research
14:10:20 <antonela> what do you think? pili?
14:10:48 <thurayya> but will it be public? i can't access dip (i don't have an account)
14:10:51 <pili> I'm fine with that, we should make sure it's easy to link from the community portal
14:11:04 <pili> thurayya: it can be public
14:11:29 <antonela> thurayya: not the country reports, the checklist and the reporting docs
14:11:32 <emmapeel> we need to open dip to external collaboration also... not sure if it should be a topic of this meeting tho
14:11:44 <antonela> emmapeel: is a meta, but yes
14:12:03 <thurayya> ok - i was just wondering if there was a way to make it public if it was necessary :)
14:12:11 <antonela> emmapeel: i hope we can move forward with that idea tomorrow during the www meeting
14:12:27 <pili> opening dip up? :)
14:12:37 <pili> I'll talk to gaba about it in a few hours
14:12:41 <antonela> thurayya: yes, and the plan was to make them public in https://community.torproject.org/user-research/
14:12:54 <antonela> pili, yes! thanks for doing it
14:13:02 <emmapeel> great!
14:13:35 <pili> we can probably follow a similar structure as training resources to share this research
14:13:48 <pili> i.e linking to the documents in dip
14:13:50 <antonela> pili, yes exactly
14:13:59 <antonela> do you think is a good move to host them there?
14:14:22 <pili> well, now that I think about it, will they be hosted in dip or gitweb?
14:14:49 <antonela> good question, how are those spaced being synced?
14:14:52 <antonela> *spaces
14:14:54 <pili> because that will break the way we do things currently for other projects on gitlab
14:15:12 <antonela> that is exactly what i wanted to talk with you :)
14:15:21 <pili> everytime someone pushes to the master branch on gitweb, the dip master branch gets overwritten with gitweb master
14:15:45 <antonela> i see
14:15:46 <antonela> how we can do it in a way that follows the current workflow for projects?
14:15:54 <emmapeel> that is not the problem pili, the problem is that ppl is pushing to dip
14:16:15 <pili> we would need to create a new repo on gitweb for the user research materials
14:16:22 <antonela> like https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/outreach.git/ is empty but
14:16:26 <pili> right
14:16:33 <emmapeel> we should not allow individuals to push to https://dip.torproject.org/web/%20*
14:16:34 <pili> I think I got that one created :)
14:16:45 <antonela> https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/community/outreach has stuffs
14:16:46 <pili> emmapeel: I agree
14:17:05 <emmapeel> we were talking with hiro about that today, it seems she has a plan
14:17:14 <emmapeel> ├žbut wants to do first the git flow docs
14:17:18 <pili> I just mean that we shouldn't create repos that are just on dip
14:17:30 <antonela> exactly, we shoudn't
14:17:31 <pili> the underlying source of truth should be a git-web repo
14:17:35 <emmapeel> ah yes
14:18:15 <antonela> so basically, we need tsa to create repos in gitweb for us and some sync workflow between them?
14:18:18 <pili> anyway, we can do that laso
14:18:24 <pili> s/laso/also
14:18:27 <pili> antonela: yup
14:18:41 <pili> I have a couple of example tickets if you want to take a look
14:18:50 <antonela> pili, oki, that structure i shared here like ux/research, is good?
14:19:43 <pili> yup
14:20:09 <antonela> oki, lets sync offline about the best steps to make it happen
14:21:08 <antonela> like i dont have the full picture about the sync between gitlab and dip, this is one of the reasons i didn't succeed with the media folder sorting
14:21:28 <antonela> maybe we can talk with hiro tomorrow about it during the regular www meeting
14:21:44 <pili> sure
14:22:13 <pili> I think you have to give permissions to torproject-pusher account on the repo in gitlab
14:22:21 <pili> in order to get the sync happening
14:22:30 <pili> but not sure what else needs to be hooked up on the backend
14:23:20 <antonela> yep
14:23:31 <emmapeel> antonela: i can help you to understand a bit if you want!
14:23:46 <antonela> please emmapeel
14:24:24 <emmapeel> ok, lets do it after meeting
14:24:34 <antonela> super, thanks!
14:25:15 <antonela> pili, what is the blocker on #29955? is there anything that needs help?
14:25:42 <pili> we just need to get a blog post out sysrqb has offered to write it :)
14:26:09 <pili> then the GP guys are ready to do the rest
14:26:25 <antonela> ohh perfect
14:27:25 <antonela> emmapeel: should we call for reviewers on specific languages?
14:28:05 <emmapeel> antonela: yes, some langs are getting harder
14:28:35 <emmapeel> lemme upload the stats
14:28:38 <antonela> maybe we can use social media for it, lets talk offline about it
14:29:01 <antonela> not too much else for today folks, is there anything you have for the group?
14:29:31 <thurayya> yes!
14:29:36 <antonela> :)
14:30:05 <thurayya> i'm working with the faq for phase 2/report - i'm wondering if i should do the same for phase 1
14:30:19 <thurayya> just had a look at the pad https://pad.riseup.net/p/ZtEAJDodmJ0mCpZWkMP1-keep
14:30:28 <thurayya> but there is nothing there :|
14:30:50 <antonela> i can do the phase 1 thurayya
14:31:03 <antonela> i have those notes since i did the travels :)
14:31:19 <thurayya> ok - if you need any help ;)
14:31:25 <antonela> will follow your phase2 format
14:31:30 <pili> I have some notes also I can add
14:31:45 <antonela> awesome, thanks pili
14:31:46 <pili> from India
14:31:58 <antonela> ahh nono, phase 1, 2018 i think
14:32:30 <antonela> you have india phase 2 pili
14:32:34 <pili> right
14:33:24 <antonela> cool, nah lets work together on that -- i can add phase 1 to your reporting
14:33:44 <thurayya> pili: i'm working on g drive, i can share with you as well
14:34:09 <pili> ok
14:34:45 <thurayya> that's all from me for now ;)
14:34:52 <antonela> thanks thurayya!
14:35:11 <antonela> last week i sent a recap on the tb usage survey we ran during the dev meeting in stockholm -- if you want to explore the answers, there is a csv linked
14:35:18 <antonela> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-August/000455.html
14:35:40 <T_> Thanks, I've found this super-useful
14:36:15 <antonela> thanks T_! i shared some ooni links to you, i hope those are useful as well
14:36:51 <antonela> T_ ggus is traveling this week, so some latency is expected (re:community-contacts)
14:37:18 <antonela> oki -- anything else folks?
14:37:45 <T_> Thanks, noted
14:37:46 <emmapeel> sorry i crashed. here the stats https://share.riseup.net/#WqBFdlXwSpopIKb5dmkKiw what is not yellow needs translators
14:38:02 <antonela> translators or reviewers?
14:38:40 <emmapeel> well, we keep getting translators but reviewers should be trusted people
14:38:49 <emmapeel> peolpe we know, etc
14:39:04 <antonela> i remember me used to have a tier 1 and tier 2 languages list, maybe we can check with those and plan a call for trusted reviewers with stephw
14:39:09 <antonela> s/me/we
14:42:20 <emmapeel> specially on languages that we dont speak at all! i feel confident on somebody i dont know to review italian, because i can see if they lie, even when my italian is not so good
14:42:21 <antonela> yes i know, like thai
14:42:21 <emmapeel> but russian...
14:42:21 <emmapeel> yeah
14:42:21 <emmapeel> i dont think we should make a call for reviewers
14:42:21 <antonela> yes, https://www.torproject.org/ru/ is a thing and looks awesome :)
14:42:21 <emmapeel> we can keep making calls for translators though
14:42:22 <antonela> do you upgrade translators to reviewers with some process?
14:42:22 <emmapeel> maybe a call on tor-internal, but not a public call
14:42:22 <emmapeel> antonela: yes, i can make anybody reviewer on transifex, if we give them that status, localization lab will accept it. i am trying to get more people onto transifex from our devs and that
14:42:22 <antonela> i like it, we have polyglots in internal as well
14:42:22 <emmapeel> loclab is also getting reviewers they know
14:42:23 <antonela> oki, let me know if there is anything we can do to make this a public call regularly, like monthly? maybe?
14:42:24 <emmapeel> even if somebody from tor-internal cannot do it, maybe they have a friend (i.e. greek)
14:42:39 <antonela> yep
14:42:41 <pili> yeah
14:42:41 <pili> we definitely need a way to prioritise languages and try to focus on those first
14:43:21 <antonela> agreed pili
14:43:24 <emmapeel> from our tier 1 we need help with korean, arabic, farsi.. as usual
14:43:33 <emmapeel> also on reviews
14:43:45 <emmapeel> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/o7Rh2S9bsMNN7Eh7C9cKaqxR371pR1AmpRxbu--nC34 tier 1 langs
14:45:26 <pili> we don't have anyone trusted that knows farsi? :)
14:45:53 <emmapeel> 'a way to prioritise languages' sounds nice, but the truth is that we depend on volunteer efforst so it is hard to prioritise unless we go to people that speaks those langs and ask them to translate
14:46:31 <pili> well, just knowing that we need more help with korean arabic and farsi helps :)
14:47:19 <antonela> exactly, we can ping community friends for it - internal is a good first step imo
14:47:32 <emmapeel> we dont have any trusted farsi speaker that is reviewing atm. i asked for some special cases to get some money to translate, between them arabic and farsi. i met some exiles in Berlin tht were eager to translate, but they had no money and could not afford to volunteer. but apparently we cannot give them like 500 euro to translate something and they cannot do it, cause they need to get a job to pay fo
14:47:38 <emmapeel> r their rents, etc
14:48:25 <emmapeel> that is a bit sad. poor people is not mean, is just that they donthave free time to volunteer...
14:48:46 <pili> emmapeel: yeah, I know
14:48:51 <emmapeel> that is why i dont like 'meritocracy'
14:49:29 <antonela> me either, we are privileged for being collabs in a tech open source project
14:49:48 <emmapeel> yes exactly
14:50:05 <emmapeel> also: i think the interface for rtl langs in transifex is very annoying :D maybe that is why farsi and arabic translators dont like to translate so much
14:50:16 <emmapeel> well.. transifex and the Internet in general
14:50:19 <antonela> and i see that point as critical -- maybe we can plan on derivate some funds for critical languages (if we have those funds)
14:50:43 <antonela> as a medium-long term plan ^^
14:51:01 <antonela> for the short-term, i could send a call for translators to our lists and see what we have :)
14:51:06 <emmapeel> i talked with isabela a while ago and she said that paying for translations was not really on our budget. but maybe we can do a croudsourcing something...
14:51:30 <antonela> exactly, we can develop a plan to make it happens :)
14:52:17 <antonela> oki folks, thanks for this meeting - i like to work with you all <3
14:52:19 <emmapeel> antonela: my proposal was just to include the languages that are on our Tier 1, that are fromt he third world, and have no enough translations.
14:52:40 <emmapeel> ok! lets keep talking somewhere else :D
14:52:43 <emmapeel> sorry for spam
14:52:52 <antonela> emmapeel: lets talk about it and see what we can do, i cant promise funds but i can drop some ideas
14:53:03 <pili> yup :)
14:53:04 <emmapeel> yeah funds is not the only thing
14:53:58 <antonela> am i missing anything? can i call it?
14:54:22 <emmapeel> im groot
14:54:52 <antonela> thanks all! o/
14:54:55 <antonela> #endmeeting