16:00:10 <antonela> #startmeeting websites meeting
16:00:10 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Aug 21 16:00:10 2019 UTC.  The chair is antonela. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:10 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:16 <antonela> hi folks
16:00:27 <antonela> pili is delayed, so i started the meeting today
16:00:32 <antonela> who is around?
16:00:54 <emmapeel> o/
16:01:02 <pili> thanks antonela ! I'm out now
16:01:03 <pili> just updating the pad: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/i72JStAujMeokmTQTW2Y--N48oCUU1T6llzBTSAQCMh
16:01:11 <antonela> cool, :)
16:04:17 <pili> ok
16:04:20 <pili> shall we start?
16:04:31 <pili> do we have hiro stephw ?
16:04:39 <pili> anyone else I'm forgetting... :/
16:05:40 <antonela> ggus is out camping
16:06:02 <antonela> i think we are here :)
16:06:34 <pili> ok, let's start
16:07:03 <pili> community portal... I have not progressed since last meeting 2 weeks ago :(
16:07:09 <pili> I still have every intention of getting around to it but let's see how the week goes
16:07:57 <pili> btw, not sure if you saw, stephw sent an email about the community portal being linked to from the bridges campaign
16:08:10 <pili> are there any objections to this being linked?
16:08:45 <emmapeel> i think it is quite ok already
16:08:52 <emmapeel> not sure about all sections tho
16:09:12 <emmapeel> also, no translations yet
16:09:16 <pili> fwiw I'm fine with it :)
16:09:36 <pili> emmapeel: is that because we're waiting on reviews? or because people are not translating yet?
16:09:53 <pili> I think there are some sections that should be ready for translation already
16:09:56 <antonela> i feel ok sharing it - there are some things that needs adjustment but is a wip
16:10:14 <emmapeel> i am waiting on the OK for the original strings to send to translation. it is still not translated
16:11:03 <antonela> https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/
16:11:23 <antonela> im looking at the left menu, there are some duplicated items
16:11:32 <antonela> mmm, it needs review
16:11:37 <pili> emmapeel: ok, I guess we have to wait for the whole thing to be reviewed before we send for translation
16:12:11 <emmapeel> i cannot add only some sections, well i can but it will be a lot of work. also some localization lab peeps  are reviewing the source strings on the sandbox, and maybe translating too:
16:12:12 <pili> antonela: I think I saw a message about this, possibly that last push needs to be reverted
16:12:23 <pili> emmapeel: that's fine, no worries, I was just wondering :)
16:12:32 <pili> it's not worth the extra work
16:12:48 <antonela> oki, im not following the merges but could be
16:13:03 <pili> yeah, me neither
16:13:04 <emmapeel> i would have to generate the file and fish out the unwanted strings which will surely lead to trouble
16:13:46 <emmapeel> phw has been working on the bridges docs
16:13:52 <emmapeel> i think
16:14:04 <pili> hiro: do you know anything about the duplicated menu items in the bridges section?
16:15:36 <pili> ok, does anyone want to take a look at the history and see what happened? :)
16:15:41 <pili> otherwise I can look into it
16:15:51 <stephw> that’s the biggest issue with that section that i could tell
16:16:02 <pili> we should probably fix that before the bridges campaign though
16:16:07 <pili> i.e by the end of this week :)
16:16:08 <stephw> i feel like we can still do a bigger celebration and announcement after more review and translations, etc
16:16:11 <stephw> yes :)
16:16:22 <pili> definitely :)
16:16:33 <antonela> yes, and i also opened a ticket about breadcrumbs, which are really needed on deep content levels
16:17:38 <antonela> https://dip.torproject.org/web/community/issues/68
16:18:03 <pili> who can work on these tickets? is it just hiro or is that something one of us could take on?
16:18:33 <antonela> i assigned it to myself
16:19:00 <antonela> i was planning to do frontend work for websites during the community hackaton, but if this is needed before that
16:19:02 <pili> thanks antonela :)
16:19:05 <antonela> then i can work on it
16:20:00 <pili> I think maybe the breadcrumbs can wait
16:20:06 <phw> antonela: i think the duplicate items showed up after this commit: https://github.com/torproject/community/commit/e1b27a81b3b588c91130143cd741c1300416d421
16:20:08 <pili> but we need to fix the duplicated menu items
16:20:53 <antonela> phw, thanks! will take a look
16:21:44 <pili> ok, anything else on community portal?
16:22:07 <antonela> not really on my side
16:22:19 <pili> I think we all know what we need to do, but let me know if that's not the case :)
16:22:20 <emmapeel> i want to add the 'edit this page' button to the community portal
16:22:23 <emmapeel> :D
16:22:28 <pili> emmapeel: do it! ;)
16:22:33 <emmapeel> yay!
16:22:49 <emmapeel> it is on suppot.tpo and tb-manual.tpo by now
16:23:02 <pili> great :)
16:23:21 <pili> the next item I had was about the blog... we had someone who offered to help fixing: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31114
16:24:01 <pili> hiro is this something that is feasible or would it require giving too much access to someone we don't know?
16:26:09 <pili> I guess we're missing hiro today
16:26:36 <pili> any other discussion items on the other portals?
16:27:03 <pili> support, manual, tpo...
16:27:04 <pili> (other than the hackathon)
16:27:08 <antonela> not really on portals, should we talk about the hackaton? anything about PR reviewers roles?
16:27:27 <emmapeel> i volunteer to review PRs during the hackathon
16:27:52 <emmapeel> i would like to know the process for getting more users onto dip, i.e. cy63113 and clash
16:28:07 <pili> cy63113 is already on dip :)
16:28:11 <emmapeel> we just point them to pili ?
16:28:19 <emmapeel> ah cool.
16:28:20 <pili> yup
16:28:27 <pili> if it's people we're already working with
16:29:09 <pili> for the hackathon, to pre-register, we could create a quick registration form, e.g in limesurvey
16:29:18 <pili> and I can create those as they come in
16:30:09 <antonela> the survey or the accounts?
16:30:14 <pili> both :)
16:30:18 <antonela> oh okey
16:30:23 <antonela> do you have credentials in lime survey?
16:30:27 <pili> yup
16:30:30 <antonela> super
16:30:36 <pili> let me add this to my list of things to do
16:31:47 <pili> what else? :)
16:33:08 <emmapeel> i would like to see if we can make sure that users cannot push to the repos in dip, to avoid mistakes
16:33:29 <pili> oh, I will be giving them the least access necessary
16:33:34 <emmapeel> not sure if is part of the scope of the hackathon but i bet it will help
16:33:34 <clash> there is probably some sort of access rights
16:33:38 <pili> really they only need to be able to comment on issues
16:33:41 <clash> yes
16:33:54 <pili> actually, let's talk about what permissions they need
16:33:57 <emmapeel> i dont only mean the new users. i mean ALL users
16:34:13 <pili> emmapeel: sure
16:34:36 <pili> I could do that but I think I should discuss it with hiro and gaba at least first
16:34:48 <antonela> yep
16:34:51 <clash> I'm not sure how gitlab works but the ideal process would be view issue → fork repo → make changes → make PR → PR gets merged
16:35:02 <pili> I think this will probably be part of the gitlab processes
16:35:03 <pili> gaba is working on a document that she can probably share with you about this
16:35:06 <emmapeel> nobody should be able to push to the main repos, except tor-pusher. the pushes have to be done to the other repo
16:35:25 <antonela> make PR → REVIEW  →  PR gets merged
16:35:26 <pili> clash: the thing is I'm not convinced that they need to be able to fork the repo on gitlab :)
16:35:39 <pili> antonela: that version seems better to me :)
16:36:00 <pili> as in, they can fork the repo in github or just locally on their computers
16:36:01 <emmapeel> we allow peopl eto push to dip repos like https://dip.torproject.org/web/community/ , but those contributions never make it to the websites and are overwritten by the torpusher
16:36:19 <emmapeel> so is not to prevent them for contributing, is for their contributions not to be lost
16:36:46 <clash> okay, forking from github or cloning to local sounds good :)
16:36:55 <emmapeel> i agree with clash, they need to fork
16:37:04 <pili> emmapeel: I know, I can look at doing it for the web group members
16:37:14 <pili> I just meant i don't feel comfortable making that decision unilaterally for other teams :)
16:37:59 <emmapeel> i was talking about the web repos only. not sure about what other teams use dip for etc
16:39:02 <pili> actually, not sure how I would do that, it probably needs to be done by hiro
16:39:28 <pili> emmapeel: I think in general people know not to push to dip, probably sometimes they forget
16:39:49 <emmapeel> this is what i mean. people forgets. then the pusher enters into conflict
16:40:16 <pili> ok, let's speak to hiro about making this the same for everyone
16:40:24 <pili> i.e making dip repos read only
16:40:49 <emmapeel> it is happening in all the repos. hiro believes in humanity etc and she gets sad when people pushes to dip. i say: if they cannot push, they are not gonna push, and are going to be presented with the option of fork + merge request
16:41:04 <pili> i.e the ones that are mirrored from gitweb
16:41:15 <emmapeel> the default option should be what we want
16:41:22 <emmapeel> not what we dont want
16:41:38 <emmapeel> dont make me quote lenin plz
16:41:42 <pili> :D
16:41:57 <pili> ok, we will all lobby hiro to change this ;)
16:42:04 <emmapeel> 'trust is good, control is better' you made me do it
16:42:15 <pili> /o\
16:42:20 <pili> ok... moving on... ;)
16:42:27 <antonela> foucault came to the meeting
16:43:21 <emmapeel> :D
16:43:43 <pili> anything else on the documentation hackathon?
16:44:04 <pili> I want to have a wiki page on gitlab with more details on how to contribute
16:44:05 <antonela> not really, we need ggus here also to discuss details
16:44:18 <pili> but I haven't managed to find out how to create one at the group level
16:44:23 <pili> will keep playing with that
16:44:32 <antonela> that is ideal, you have somewhat that content in the blog post draft
16:44:37 <pili> stephw: when do you think we can publish the blog post?
16:47:33 <pili> let's follow up on that via email :)
16:47:42 <antonela> yep
16:47:54 <pili> any last items?
16:48:03 <antonela> im groot
16:48:16 <clash> can I get a dip account? :P
16:48:23 <pili> yup :)
16:48:26 <antonela> :)
16:48:54 <clash> yay
16:49:02 <pili> ok, I think we can call it...
16:49:03 <pili> antonela: will you do the honours?
16:49:30 <antonela> sure thing, i love the bot suit
16:49:33 <antonela> #endmeeting