13:59:33 <antonela> #startmeeting ux team
13:59:33 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Oct  1 13:59:33 2019 UTC.  The chair is antonela. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
13:59:33 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
13:59:39 <antonela> hello o/
14:00:00 <dunqan> 🤗
14:00:13 <antonela> hi dunqan <3 nicee to see youuu
14:00:36 <dunqan> hey! you too! sorry for the absence
14:01:11 <antonela> is good, i knew you were between moves so i didn't want to ping you before :)
14:01:22 <antonela> https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-2019-keep
14:01:30 <dunqan> ha thanks :)
14:01:33 <antonela> lets add updates and items for discussion on the pad, as usual ^^^
14:01:52 <antonela> is the first day of October, so start of the month duties should happen :D
14:02:05 * antonela likes October, summer is closer here
14:02:39 <dunqan> ugghhh summer's over here 😭
14:03:05 <clash> hey antonela, sorry I didn't get to do that favicon yet, got busy with some irl stuff sigh
14:03:14 <clash> ah summer
14:03:20 <irl> sorry to keep you busy
14:03:31 <dunqan> lightning fast that time irl
14:03:51 <irl> (:
14:03:54 <antonela> clash! is good
14:03:59 <antonela> hi irl, always a pleasure :D
14:05:05 <clash> oh haha sorry irl
14:05:23 <irl> no problem
14:05:24 <clash> I'll use in real life now
14:05:26 <pili> still summer here somehow... :D
14:05:32 <antonela> okey, lets start?
14:06:00 <antonela> pili, you first i think
14:06:05 <antonela> lets review roadmap and triagge?
14:06:07 <antonela> triage grr
14:06:17 <pili> triage :)
14:06:24 <pili> since we may put things on roadmap from it
14:06:26 <antonela> dale, lets go fo rit
14:06:31 <pili> (doubtful, but who knows?)
14:06:35 <antonela> haha
14:06:39 <antonela> what could be wrong? :D
14:07:27 <pili> so this week I decided to look for tickets here instead: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/UxTeam#Tickets
14:07:29 <pili> and I think there are only 3 new ones since last time: #31776
14:07:34 <pili> #31778
14:07:36 <pili> and
14:07:43 <pili> #31803
14:07:56 <pili> which I believe antonela is aware of and has them under control already? ;)
14:08:04 <antonela> i
14:08:14 <antonela> i'm not sure which query we have there, maybe the one with the ux-team label
14:08:18 <antonela> if yes, we are groot :)
14:08:19 <pili> I think so
14:08:30 <antonela> #31778 is happening in TB9, acat is working on it this week \o/
14:08:33 <pili> I have a couple of other queries bookmarked somewhere
14:08:37 <pili> let me double check those
14:09:03 <antonela> #31776 - i didn't worked on TBA for TB9, maybe we can have it for the next 9.5 release
14:09:38 <antonela> #31803 - i have that one in my backlog, ye
14:10:51 <antonela> what else pili?
14:11:26 <pili> so #31776 will likely not start until early 2020
14:11:27 <pili> I think that's all on triage
14:11:38 <pili> shall we review the roadmap?
14:11:55 <pili> antonela: we still need to do some breakdown for S30 activities
14:12:04 <pili> but we can do that just the 2 of us some other time
14:12:15 <antonela> perfect, yes lets review the october roadmap
14:12:32 <antonela> https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/ux/-/boards
14:12:40 <pili> shall we review september first and move things over to october where necessary?
14:12:44 <antonela> yep
14:12:55 <antonela> can all people here see that board?
14:13:12 <antonela> if not, let me know
14:13:42 <thurayya> i can
14:14:05 <antonela> cool, thanks thurayya
14:14:19 * antonela doing some card moves
14:15:31 <antonela> okey, closed ooni ux work for september, that was done
14:15:44 <antonela> and moved tb9 tickets to october, which i hope we can close after the stable release :)
14:16:34 <antonela> pili, is there anything with UX label that is not in that board for october?
14:16:43 <antonela> - besides s30, we can talk about it offline
14:17:26 <pili> one sec, let me check :)
14:17:57 <pili> I'm not sure I've moved everything with ux-team keyword on trac to the roadmap yet
14:18:10 <pili> I think we should only move things that we are planning to work on
14:18:30 <antonela> cool, all what we have right now is things that we are planning to work on
14:18:35 * antonela we should, for realz
14:18:47 <pili> yup :)
14:19:01 <pili> let's add #31803
14:19:30 <pili> backlog or shall we schedule it for this month or next month?
14:19:48 <antonela> is this month, tb9
14:19:55 <pili> ok
14:20:38 <antonela> im moving per-site security settings to the backlog, because is something we will not work until 9.5
14:20:47 <pili> and #31778
14:20:52 <pili> antonela: yup
14:21:47 <antonela> some tickets about the EOY campaign are repeated, could you review those pili?
14:21:56 <antonela> anything else re: roadmap?
14:22:41 <clash> btw there was this logo design tweak issue slated for tb9 iirc?
14:23:02 <antonela> for TB Android clash?
14:23:27 <clash> I think so, yes
14:23:55 <antonela> nope, TBA work will happen in TB9.5
14:23:56 <pili> antonela: sure
14:24:04 <antonela> dunqan: regarding your question about how we are using dip.tpo, we are still discussing dev tickets in trac, so you should update the trac ticket. In a shiny future, we will move tickets from trac to dip and it will also host dev discussions
14:24:43 <dunqan> gotcha!
14:24:59 <antonela> dunqan: i also assigned an issue to your name in dip, but lets use trac for updates
14:25:06 <dunqan> sure thing
14:25:20 <antonela> thanks, will back to you with the editable files after this meeting
14:25:44 <antonela> pili, the l10n stuff, you again :)
14:26:10 <pili> yup, I think this may need coordination between emmapeel and hiro
14:26:20 <dunqan> ta, I've saved some time tomorrow and thursday to artwork the slides but will be gone after that until next week :)
14:26:21 <pili> although not 100% sure if hiro is the right git admin here or not
14:26:49 <antonela> dunqan: sounds good, thanks for it!
14:26:57 <antonela> pili: not sure if we have hiro around
14:27:12 <antonela> maybe we can discuss it later in tor-www? not sure
14:27:27 <pili> talking about tickets #30054 and #31350
14:27:42 <hiro> I don't understand the issue
14:27:42 <pili> or maybe emmapeel knows who to coordinate with?
14:27:51 <pili> we need to set up a git hook
14:28:04 <hiro> yeah ok open a ticket
14:28:08 <hiro> I'll do it
14:28:11 <pili> to make sure that any special characters in translations are properly escaped
14:28:17 <pili> I think there's one already
14:28:18 <pili> one sec
14:28:34 <hiro> why a git hook?
14:28:49 <pili> #31350 has the details
14:28:58 <pili> I'm not sure, GeKo or emmapeel might know more
14:29:23 <emmapeel> sorry i got distracted
14:29:26 <pili> I think it's because we couldn't change in transifex
14:29:27 <pili> and we couldn't change in any other place
14:29:28 <pili> so it was decided that a githook was the way to go
14:29:45 <emmapeel> i have sent that pull request to the i18n plugin, let m esee
14:30:10 <hiro> I think that you need to provide the script that you want to run in git
14:30:16 <emmapeel> the locales for android should be with a git hook
14:30:37 <hiro> writing a script that check what you want is not what the git admin should do
14:30:52 <hiro> also how do you import from transifex?
14:31:09 <hiro> does transifex push to git directly?
14:31:18 <emmapeel> yeah, GeKo told me that defininf the problem was the first step and maybe he could find somebody to help me with #31350
14:31:37 <hiro> if so let's say the git hook refuse the merge
14:31:42 <hiro> what happens to transifex?
14:31:58 <hiro> if you run something to import from transifex that something should include the check, it shouldn't be in git
14:32:07 <hiro> basically we are adding a test in git as a hook
14:32:10 <hiro> I don't know if I like it
14:32:23 <emmapeel> we have a bot that pulls new translations from transifex without any verification. so at some point we should do a verification. maybe as part of the pulling from transifex.
14:32:33 <emmapeel> but anyway we can discuss on the ticket if you have any ideas
14:32:44 <hiro> it should be the bot that does the checks
14:32:49 <hiro> not git with a hook
14:33:45 <emmapeel> something called from https://gitweb.torproject.org/translation-tools.git/tree/update_translations
14:34:12 <pili> sounds like this is a discussion that we can maybe take to #tor-l10n after? :)
14:34:29 <pili> I just wanted to make the right people aware of it
14:34:33 <hiro> sounds like this is not a gitadmin ticket
14:35:04 <pili> let's move it to the right owner then and discuss it with them, does anyone know who that should be?
14:35:55 <hiro> whoever maintains that bot
14:36:09 <emmapeel> it is a bit big for me to code a l10n verification script in shellscript tbh
14:36:26 <antonela> maybe bolkm can help us here?
14:36:33 <emmapeel> i maintain the process of running the bot and make little changes, but a verification thing.. uff...
14:37:27 <pili> which bot is this and where is the code?
14:38:31 <emmapeel> the code is at https://gitweb.torproject.org/translation-tools.git/tree/update_translations and is the bot that pushes the transifex updates to https://gitweb.torproject.org/translation.git
14:39:16 <emmapeel> lives at https://db.torproject.org/machines.cgi?host=majus
14:40:30 <pili> and we think that the bot should check that special characters are escaped?
14:40:45 <hiro> I think python escapes the characters automatically nowadays
14:40:56 <hiro> there should be something called here: https://gitweb.torproject.org/translation-tools.git/tree/update_translations#n39
14:41:10 <hiro> before the commits to check if the diff is legit
14:41:52 <pili> so basically we need a confident bash coder :)
14:41:59 <emmapeel> the escaping of certain characters on the android files is not according to standard, and when adding ' in the translations, the build will break. transifex didnt wanted to create a new parsing because it is against the escaping rules of dtd files
14:42:34 <antonela> folks, is something that we can discuss over -l10n after this meeting? seems like we need more time for this
14:42:45 <emmapeel> sure
14:42:57 <antonela> pili?
14:43:02 <emmapeel> or on the bugtracker maybe because geko was also involed etc
14:43:25 <antonela> yep
14:43:26 <pili> yup
14:43:33 <pili> that's all from me then :)
14:43:36 <antonela> thanks pili!
14:43:52 <antonela> last item is mine
14:44:02 <antonela> i have been working with the new identity icon and i made some options
14:44:07 <antonela> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27511#comment:17
14:45:11 <antonela> this will be released on TB9 at the end of this month so since you we are the group with the higher designers ratio, please feel free to leave comments at the ticket
14:45:21 <antonela> :)
14:46:37 <antonela> and, i think that is all in the list
14:46:52 <antonela> anything else people?
14:47:34 <thurayya> i'm not a designer, but gonna leave a comment there :)
14:47:39 <antonela> thurayya: please do!
14:47:43 <thurayya> i'm good, thanks!
14:47:56 <antonela> thurayya: re:survey, lets talk about it during this week
14:48:20 <thurayya> yess!
14:48:33 <antonela> thanks :)
14:48:53 <antonela> one more thing, september ux team report will be here https://pad.riseup.net/p/ux-report-kp
14:49:10 <antonela> add your stuff so they make the next reporting ^^
14:49:17 <antonela> emmapeel: lets add l10n here <3
14:49:44 <emmapeel> ok!
14:50:01 <antonela> Interesting Links for this week ⚡️ (you can add your best links too!)
14:50:23 <antonela> the blog emmapeel wrote saying thank you to translators around the world <333
14:50:47 <emmapeel> transvision.mozfr.org also
14:51:14 <antonela> and a nngroup link about theme grouping in qualitative user research, quite good!
14:51:31 <antonela> oh what is that emmapeel?
14:52:10 <emmapeel> is to search on the user facing strings and their translations
14:52:27 <antonela> nice!
14:53:50 <antonela> is good for checking firefox/tb strings as well
14:53:59 <antonela> interesting, thanks for sharing emmapeel
14:54:11 <antonela> anything else folks? am i missing anything?
14:56:06 <pili> maybe hacktoberfest?
14:56:09 <pili> I forgot to add it to this pad
14:56:12 <antonela> oh, tell us pili
14:56:23 <antonela> what is the status of it? are we moving forward?
14:56:39 <pili> well, I think we can just do it informally
14:56:45 <pili> I don't think we'll do a social media push about it
14:56:54 <antonela> got it
14:57:25 <pili> but if anyone is interested in getting a free t-shirt and making PRs on the torproject github project, give it a go: https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/
14:57:26 <pili> :)
14:57:47 <pili> it should probably be the other way round: "making PRs on Tor Project gith and getting a free t-shirt" :P
14:57:53 <antonela> nice, last year tshirt is very cool ( i have one, i didn't make PRs lol)
14:58:27 <antonela> okey, is that all?
14:59:06 * antonela think so
14:59:19 <antonela> thanks for coming folks! have a great day!
14:59:24 <thurayya> o/
14:59:28 <antonela> #endmeeting