16:59:45 <ahf> #startmeeting network team meeting, 7 october 2019
16:59:45 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Oct  7 16:59:45 2019 UTC.  The chair is ahf. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:59:45 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:59:52 <ahf> hello everyone o/
16:59:53 <dgoulet> o/
16:59:58 <Asong> Was nice meeting you all
17:00:00 <ahf> our network-team pad is at https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2019.1-keep
17:00:03 <asn> o/
17:00:04 <gaba> hi!
17:00:39 <catalyst> o/
17:00:48 * ahf closes a lot of tabs in his browser to navigate
17:01:15 <ahf> should we start with 042 status: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/042Status ?
17:01:28 <nickm> let's
17:02:46 <ahf> #7164 has no owner it seems
17:02:48 <dgoulet> asn: I think we should probably take over #31652 considering the 042 "urgency" as in fix should be easy now that we misdirected neel :S
17:03:03 <asn> dgoulet: ack
17:03:07 <dgoulet> ahf: right that one is probably up for consideration for 042
17:03:08 <nickm> I think dgoulet would like me to look at #7164
17:03:09 <dgoulet> nickm: what do you think?
17:03:40 <dgoulet> I'm fine with 043 ... just that ticket has 110 comments so I figured I would ask nickm about a second opinion :)
17:03:41 <asn> i only have #29220 left from 042, but I think that should be moved to 043: also see https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29220#comment:11
17:03:42 <nickm> I can try, but I have a bunch of pending stuff in the next 53 days between now and the end of sponsor31
17:03:58 <nickm> asn: I'd say go ahead.
17:04:03 <asn> nickm: ack
17:04:06 <dgoulet> nickm: ok lets push it then. No problem.
17:04:19 <ahf> cool
17:04:20 <dgoulet> asn: I,ll take #31652
17:04:37 <asn> ack ack
17:05:07 <ahf> so #29220 goes to 043, do we move #7164 to 043 too?
17:05:15 <ahf> we do!
17:05:19 <ahf> great
17:05:20 <dgoulet> yes I just did
17:05:31 <ahf> anything else we need to shuffle around here?
17:05:32 <asn> is there a keyword i forget about deferring to 043?
17:05:35 <asn> i did 042-deferred
17:05:39 <asn> but not sure
17:05:45 <nickm> With my remaining tickets, I think I'm good, but I don't think I can do #31757 without windows clue that I don't have.
17:05:56 <asn> ah 042-deferred seems to be the right one
17:06:18 <ahf> nickm: move that one to me? i looked at using cygwin to build tor on windows on friday, which allows me to run .sh scripts
17:06:25 <ahf> is it a 042-must?
17:06:28 <nickm> it's should.
17:06:37 <nickm> reassigned
17:06:41 <ahf> ok, move it to me please, it will be after the ones i have now though
17:06:44 <ahf> ok, thanks
17:06:53 <nickm> thank you!
17:07:12 <nickm> If the fix is tricky, it can probably wait, but it would be good to know what the actual issue is
17:07:33 <ahf> nickm: #31810 and #31091 (both 042-must) are running CI now. found an issue in one of them thanks to your review policy with asking for a test!
17:07:50 <ahf> yep, makes sense
17:08:00 <ahf> let's do dip kanban board
17:08:07 <ahf> https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/core/tor/-/boards
17:08:19 <ahf> for people not doing 042 items, we should check if this is what you are working on
17:09:21 <mikeperry> I don't have any way to scroll left/right on that board in TBB
17:09:29 <mikeperry> possibly because of the danger warning?
17:09:34 <dgoulet> mikeperry: yeah ! me too lol
17:09:38 <ahf> is it #qubeslife or #maclife ?
17:09:38 <dgoulet> I used the arrows on my kb
17:09:44 <nickm> you can click, and then use left and right arrows
17:09:45 <gaba> arrows work
17:09:54 <nickm> but I also wish for a scrollbar
17:10:09 <ahf> hm, weird
17:10:13 <catalyst> yeah i also lack the horizontal scrollbar there
17:10:14 <ahf> that sounds like a gitlab upstream thing
17:10:51 * catalyst thinks it's a side effect of the warning footer
17:10:53 <gaba> I used an horizontal scrollbar at some point... not sure what happened with it
17:10:54 <ahf> ok, annoying
17:10:56 <ahf> catalyst: yeah
17:10:59 <gaba> yes.. maybe the footer
17:11:12 <ahf> maybe we should just have the top thing. gonna hear hiro about that
17:12:09 <nickm> anyways, I think I'm "doing" my "doing" item :)
17:12:11 <dgoulet> ok I moved couple tickets in the "Doing" board that I worked on
17:12:16 <ahf> great
17:12:16 <dgoulet> working*
17:12:27 <ahf> how is reviews looking this week? i forgot to ask about this at the last network team meeting
17:12:30 <ahf> sorry about that
17:12:49 <ahf> anybody who needs to shuffle anything around here?
17:13:26 <asn> not too many reviews this week so it's about 1.2 per person
17:13:40 <dgoulet> #31943 seems a discussion point
17:13:48 <nickm> Can somebody else do a review on #31943 ?  I have a bunch of backlog, and swati deserves a fast reply.
17:15:20 <nickm> Who are the mentors again?
17:15:29 <dgoulet> I won't be able this week to provide something quickly. Sorry :(
17:15:43 <gaba> catalyst is the mentor for the network team
17:15:51 <catalyst> go ahead and assign to me
17:15:52 <gaba> catalyst: can you do the review?
17:15:57 <gaba> thanks :)
17:16:23 <ahf> awesome, thanks catalyst
17:16:24 <nickm> catalyst: if possible, let's err on the side of helping her fix this rather than making her do it all herself, since it's her first patch?
17:17:05 <catalyst> nickm: yes, of course
17:17:26 <nickm> thanks!
17:17:35 <ahf> cool, i will move to the next item
17:17:44 <ahf> * We should start doing monthly reports to tor-project@lists.torproject.org. Here is a pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/bVWhsCUgnv1bxDgpyiYU -
17:17:58 <ahf> so i would like to have monthly reports like all of the other teams are doing to show what we have been up to
17:18:12 <ahf> i would really appriciate if people can spend five minutes filling out what they have been hacking on during september in that pad
17:18:24 <gaba> ahf: we can get the s27 stuff from last report
17:18:29 <ahf> i will put it together with some more description and end it to tor-project@ tomorrow
17:18:30 <gaba> the same with s31
17:18:33 <gaba> I will add it to the pad
17:18:56 <ahf> gaba: true, i added those two sponsors with placeholders for now since i wasnt sure what the best approach would be here :-)
17:19:24 <ahf> and think of this task as something we do such that the rest of the org can have a better understanding of what we are up to, without having to read the summaries/logs from these meetings every week
17:19:34 <gaba> yes, sounds good
17:19:51 <ahf> we can do this async after the meeting or whatever, i might prod you tomorrow about things if i feel something is missing
17:19:56 <ahf> lets go to next item unless there are any questions
17:20:07 <ahf> * Swati's PR should be distribute it for review: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31943
17:20:11 <ahf> sounds like this one got handled
17:20:20 <ahf> the next item is then:
17:20:21 <ahf> * How we move forward with this S27 ticket to be included in 0.4.3: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14389
17:20:34 <ahf> dgoulet writes there is a meeting about this tomorrow
17:20:44 <dgoulet> gaba: does that answer your Q? ^
17:20:50 <gaba> yes but i understood there were some concerns from nickm about it
17:21:06 <gaba> is this something to resolve tomorrow or do we need to discuss anything here?
17:21:29 <nickm> If there's a meeting happening, I trust folks to make a good decision there.
17:21:36 <gaba> ok. sounds good
17:22:03 <ahf> great
17:22:38 <nickm> If there's a candidate design I can offer feedback?
17:22:40 <ahf> okay, then we are at a point where i am unsure what next step is. we have the 3 policies that we discuss right now. do we bring them up individually and people can ask questions and discuss it and then move to the next one or what does people think here?
17:22:59 <nickm> IIUC discussion/voting is in progress on the list?
17:23:04 <ahf> that is what i think too
17:23:29 <ahf> so we do a round of discussion at our meeting during the week where a given policy was submitted to take some of the discussion that fits better for irc?
17:23:45 <ahf> last meeting we had we spend around 50% of the time talking about these, so not doing those every week would probably be good
17:23:55 <dgoulet> is there a policy stuck in that pipe?
17:24:36 <ahf> the pull request one? i am rewording that one. got some feedback from nickm last week to make it more verbose. think i will get it done today and then we will have a round of discussion on that one
17:25:15 <ahf> or was it something else, dgoulet?
17:25:56 <dgoulet> nea I was just asking if one of the 3 pending on the list, if any of them are stuck
17:26:08 <dgoulet> as in obvious disagreement
17:26:38 <ahf> ah, hmmmm, i think those 3 are all progressing?
17:26:48 <nickm> I think that the second two proposals on the list haven't had disagreements so far, though we might see a revision on "commit bits for ci" with asn's suggestion
17:26:59 <ahf> yeah
17:27:49 <dgoulet> great
17:28:03 <ahf> oki
17:28:20 * ahf looks if there is people who needs help with stuff
17:28:55 <ahf> swati's item have been dealt with
17:29:06 <ahf> mikeperry: you ok with your list of items that might get dropped? i think it keeps getting smaller?
17:29:45 <mikeperry> ahf: yes, it seems to be..
17:29:52 <ahf> oki, great
17:29:59 <ahf> does anybody have anything else for this meeting?
17:30:12 <gaba> nickm, mikeperry: you two have the writing a draft for the blog
17:30:26 <gaba> about the paper on web fingerprinting. is this something you can start doing this week?
17:30:33 <ahf> whoever just added a ton of text about onion service work to the september pad: thank you!
17:30:41 <gaba> (i do not see it in the list of things that may get dropped :P )
17:30:42 <nickm> I am going to have to try.  It will be hard.
17:31:16 <gaba> ok, as we do not have a clear deadline is not high priority over other things but may get into a priority soon
17:31:18 <mikeperry> yeah I have it as a question mark for this week instead.. I suppose it should be in the might get dropped idk
17:31:23 <gaba> ahhh
17:31:24 <gaba> ok
17:31:36 <mikeperry> do we have a firm publication deadline yet? no right?
17:31:41 <gaba> nop
17:31:46 <gaba> he said two weeks but not clear
17:33:09 <gaba> that is all from me...
17:33:26 <ahf> oki :-)
17:33:29 <ahf> anything else?
17:33:46 * dgoulet is good
17:33:55 <nickm> I'm doing ok
17:33:56 <ahf> then to repeat GT in #tor-project today: i wish you all a wonderful week!
17:33:57 <ahf> o/
17:33:59 <ahf> #endmeeting