15:59:34 <ggus> #startmeeting Community Team meeting - 10/14/2019
15:59:34 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Oct 14 15:59:34 2019 UTC.  The chair is ggus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:59:34 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:59:41 <ggus> hello folks! :)
15:59:50 <ggus> Community Team meeting starting now
16:00:15 <bluemoon> yay! :)
16:00:24 <ggus> here's our weekly pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-community-team-2019-keep
16:00:54 <ggus> please update with items that you've been working
16:02:33 <Highflyer910> hi all! :)
16:03:52 <ggus> hi Highflyer910, bluemoon :)
16:06:00 * bluemoon waves
16:06:20 <c1e0> o/
16:07:01 <pili> hi
16:07:04 <pili> sorry, I'm here
16:07:09 <ggus> do we have new outreachy folks here? :)
16:08:29 <c1e0> reetika: ?
16:10:27 <bluemoon> well I am Outreachy but I was here last week too
16:11:40 <c1e0> I spoke to reetika earlier. She's new, I believe. She's online, but she may be on another tab.
16:11:59 <taffo> yes am a new outreachy applicant
16:12:34 <ggus> for those who arrived now, please fill this pad with your updates: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-community-team-2019-keep
16:12:37 <emmapeel> o/
16:12:44 <ggus> and then we start in 2 minutes
16:14:17 <bluemoon> hi @taffo :)
16:14:57 <taffo> Hi @bluemoon
16:15:06 <bluemoon> just fyi today I am a bit distracted by a 5-year-old who is not at school because it's a holiday here
16:15:34 <ggus> nice :)
16:15:35 <c1e0> bluemoon: XD
16:15:54 <ggus> ok, let's start
16:16:12 <ggus> today we only have outreachy questions on our agenda
16:16:38 <pili> bluemoon: I feel you :)
16:17:10 <c1e0> ggus: Can I ask a question on a task I started and need help completing?
16:17:41 <ggus> c1e0: yes, sure
16:19:17 <c1e0> I need help with the second checkpoint of this issue: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/web/community/issues/102  Can you please point me to a resource which will help?
16:19:33 <clash> did the meeting happen an hour early today?
16:19:58 <bluemoon> @clash this is community meeting
16:20:08 <c1e0> clash: Nah. That was another meeting.
16:20:57 <ggus> c1e0: the second item is the difficult one. because it doesn't exist somewehere and it needs to be written
16:21:10 <ggus> c1e0: what are the platforms missing these steps?
16:21:25 <clash> ah I had a weird time when the messages loaded but the time didn't
16:21:34 <clash> anyway, hi folks!
16:21:43 <ggus> hello, clash
16:22:04 <c1e0> ggus: Basically all of them. I haven't beeen able to find a legit answer for any.
16:22:58 <clash> hey ggus, I'm travelling this week but I was hoping we could complete the onion services section inconsistencies once and for all.
16:23:11 <ggus> c1e0: but for some of them it's already there, for example: https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/guard/debianubuntu/
16:23:16 <ggus> > 1. Enable Automatic Software Updates
16:23:25 <ggus> https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/guard/debianubuntu/updates/
16:23:42 <ggus> I think it's missing: openbsd, dragonfly, netbsd
16:24:24 <c1e0> @ggus: Ah, so that's what that meant. Here was I thinking it was going to be different. I suppose I can put more effort into finding the others now. Thanks!
16:25:22 <ggus> c1e0: i recommend you to ping gman999 and egypcio, they both are from TorBSD project and can help on this
16:25:57 <c1e0> ggus: Will do. Thank you. :D
16:26:56 <ggus> more questions? :)
16:27:12 <ggus> or things that you read about tor and it's not clear?
16:27:21 <bluemoon> So, I don'tr eally have anything specific. I did start looking at the issues but I realized I need to do way more reading before I can answer questions.
16:27:30 <bluemoon> I guess I'll start by reading the main docs
16:27:41 <bluemoon> and if we don't know the answers we can ask on IRC
16:27:58 <bluemoon> and you can point us to different people who know about specific topics as needed?
16:28:08 <bluemoon> if the answers are not already documented somewhere
16:28:26 <bluemoon> I guess that is "what is the workflow for answering questions if we don't already know the answer"
16:28:39 <bluemoon> though I think that was mentioned last week to "ask on IRC"
16:29:51 <taffo> I just started reading the issues in gitlab but i didn't really understand any. So i guess i will just have to do more research before asking any question here
16:29:58 <ggus> for these special cases, it depends on what question. if it's about browser, about tor in general, relays... but in general IRC+trac can answer these questions
16:30:34 <Highflyer910> I have a question, how can I put my Frontdesk contribution on Outreachy contribution page? They ask URL of the contribution
16:31:46 <ggus> Highflyer910: we can upload to our nextcloud instance, so you can have an official URL to submit to Outreachy.
16:32:24 <bluemoon> I thought we don't get Frontdesk access? Or was that a question by email?
16:32:40 <bluemoon> Also, question; what is trac?
16:33:25 <pili> bluemoon: that's right, you don't get frontdesk access :)
16:33:40 <pili> trac is our wiki and ticke management system: trac.torproject.org
16:33:44 <ggus> bluemoon: you're right. outreachy applicants doesn't have directly access to frontdesk. we will email some questions to the applicants
16:33:52 <pili> there's a lot of information there but it can take a while to find sometimes :)
16:34:23 <ggus> tip: create an account in trac, so you can use the search...
16:35:03 <bluemoon> ah :)
16:35:26 <Highflyer910> ggus good:)
16:36:12 <bluemoon> When we are answering questions and we don't find them in trac, which is the correct irc channel to ask?
16:36:17 <bluemoon> #tor ?
16:36:38 <Highflyer910> depends on a question, I guess, no?
16:37:28 <ggus> yes, depends. but usually #tor, #tor-project
16:37:53 <ggus> and if it's a question about outreachy documentation tasks, #tor-www
16:38:40 <taffo> can we ask question through email also?
16:38:44 <bluemoon> great, thanks @ggus
16:40:11 <ggus> taffo: only for private things, e.g, create gitlab account.
16:40:29 * gman999 surveilling...
16:41:03 <taffo> ok thanks
16:42:32 <ggus> ok, more questions or we're good?
16:43:01 <bluemoon> I am ok for now :)
16:43:06 <ggus> pili: i just remembered that we're going to have tor browser release next week.
16:43:14 <pili> yes
16:43:17 <pili> October 22
16:43:30 <bluemoon> How often do releases happen?
16:43:48 <bluemoon> @gman999 *winks*
16:43:57 <ggus> phew, we need to prepare the documentation update. do we have an alpha release to try with all features?
16:44:46 <c1e0> ggus: Can I help with this documentation update?
16:45:15 <Highflyer910> No more questions. Just very curious to know if my last PR is good:)
16:45:46 <pili> ggus: there should be one today or tomorrow
16:45:56 <pili> they're building right now and checking the builds match
16:46:27 <ggus> c1e0: yes, i'll open some new issues
16:46:39 <c1e0> :D
16:47:34 <ggus> Highflyer910: i'll ask one more tor contributor to review it too, since DoH is a new topic.
16:49:24 <ggus> anything else people? i think we're good
16:49:44 <Highflyer910> ggus yes, and very interesting,  thank you
16:50:08 <taffo> how often do we have meetings please?
16:50:25 <ggus> Highflyer910: thanks for taking that question, it wasn't easy :)
16:50:31 <ggus> taffo: every monday, 1600 UTC
16:51:07 <taffo> Alright. Thanks
16:51:26 <Highflyer910> ggus definitely was not, because there are different opinions about it
16:54:02 <ggus> ok people, i think that's it for today :)
16:54:07 <ggus> #endmeeting