18:01:13 <pili> #startmeeting tor-browser-release-meeting 10/30
18:01:13 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Oct 30 18:01:13 2019 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:01:13 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:01:45 <pili> here's the pad https://storm.torproject.org/shared/h4MtZ43MphHkA81gKx8GvLDJEle2Av-YId2d4jomka1
18:03:04 <pili> who else is around today? :)
18:03:11 <pospeselr> hi
18:03:16 <pili> also, please add any discussion points or requests to the pad
18:04:55 <sstevenson> hello! i’m here for anything related to the EOY campaign
18:05:10 <sysrqb> "Release plan for 9.5 stable" - woah :)
18:05:26 <pospeselr> wow actually i have to go for a bit but i'll be back in ~30 mins
18:06:09 <pili> sysrqb: we don't need to have any answers yet... :)
18:06:12 <pili> ok
18:06:17 <pili> maybe we can get started
18:06:20 <antonela> there are some items in this query which i
18:06:22 <antonela> ay
18:06:27 <antonela> i'd like to know which release will hold them
18:06:29 <antonela> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201911%2C+ux-team&order=priority
18:06:48 <antonela> so i'm afraid those are not going to make the immediate next release
18:06:59 <pili> first of all big round of applause for everyone on the release last week :)
18:07:00 <antonela> but we can work towards 9.2 or 9.3
18:07:13 <antonela> \o/
18:08:06 <pili> first item on the list for discussion is regarding the YE campaign, which ties into the next release 9.0.1
18:08:26 <pili> are we still on track to release this next Monday? 11/04
18:09:04 <sysrqb> yes, as far as i know
18:09:26 <sysrqb> i should look at the mobile version, but it seems like we are still on track for that
18:10:24 <pili> ok, cool
18:10:31 <pili> sstevenson: do you have any questions about this? :)
18:10:39 <sysrqb> GeKo: merged the patches for alpha today
18:10:42 <sstevenson> nope. i think we are good
18:10:51 <pili> or does anyone have any questions for sstevenson?
18:10:54 <sysrqb> and he said "so we have nightly builds tomorrow containing the changes. Provided everything still looks good, I'll backport the changes to stable as well and close this ticket."
18:11:24 <pili> so we'll be able to test this out in the nightly builds?
18:11:37 <sysrqb> yep, we'll have them tomorrow
18:11:42 <sstevenson> should we, or can we, use a different url for mobile so we can track engagement from each platform?
18:11:49 <antonela> i tested tba; looked great
18:11:58 <pili> great :)
18:12:11 <sysrqb> sstevenson: hrm.
18:12:13 <pili> I'll take a look at the nightlies tomorrow
18:12:37 <sysrqb> i think that is your call
18:12:57 <sstevenson> not a big deal if we can’t or if it adds work. i think it might be interesting info to have
18:13:00 <sysrqb> i don't think the patch currently handles them differently
18:13:53 <sysrqb> but the idea is they pass through www.torproject.org/... first, so we can get the info from the server logs?
18:14:14 <sysrqb> or are we tracking this another way?
18:14:44 <pili> well, we have different links to donate for the different languages/locales
18:14:59 <pili> so I'm not sure how we would add locale+platform to the donate link
18:15:04 <sysrqb> right, i'm looking at the comment that says "As long as ​https://www.torproject.org/donate/donate is there, the rest of the URL doesn't matter. Thanks!"
18:15:14 <sysrqb> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30783#comment:21
18:15:35 <sysrqb> and i'm wonder how we are actually get the stats from this
18:15:41 <sstevenson> the different extensions allow metrics to see where the click came from
18:16:18 <sysrqb> okay, so it's the metrics team extracting this info?
18:16:28 <sstevenson> right. that is what they did last year
18:16:49 <sysrqb> ah, okay. great, thanks - i didn't realize that
18:19:39 <pili> so I guess if there's some easy way for acat to add the platform string to the URL we could maybe try to do it
18:20:10 <sysrqb> yeah, sstevenson can you ask on the ticket?
18:20:17 <sstevenson> sure
18:20:48 <sysrqb> i can look quickly and maybe i can suggest an easy fix on the ticket, too
18:21:27 <pili> ok
18:21:30 <pili> thanks sysrqb
18:21:51 <pili> is there anything else on the YE campaign?
18:22:20 <sstevenson> i can’t think of anything else. thanks everyone! fingers crossed for a good response!
18:22:32 <sysrqb> yep!
18:22:59 <antonela> 🤞
18:23:14 <sysrqb> :)
18:23:57 <pili> ok, let's move on then :)
18:24:36 <pili> for the second item, now that 9.0 is out I wanted us to start thinking about 9.5 stable  ;)
18:24:54 <pili> I'm not too sure how we decide when we release this as I don't think it's tied to ESR releases?
18:25:03 <sysrqb> correct
18:25:21 <sysrqb> usually somewhere around March/April, as far as i know
18:25:49 <pili> ok
18:26:02 <sysrqb> 8.0 was tied to Tor Browser for Android becoming stable
18:26:13 <sysrqb> i don't think we have any major goals for 9.5
18:26:16 <sysrqb> err, *8.5
18:27:18 <sysrqb> we have some work with s27, but we won't have much of that ready by March
18:27:28 <pili> yeah
18:27:37 <sysrqb> and the OTF proposal makes this tricky, too
18:27:55 <pili> right :)
18:28:00 <antonela> the otf grant *ends* in march
18:28:09 <sysrqb> next one :)
18:28:10 <pili> the one we're writing now ;)
18:28:15 <antonela> ah i see
18:28:40 <pili> ok, so it sounds like we want to decide what new features we want to include
18:28:42 <pili> for 9.5
18:29:28 <pili> FWIW 8.5 stable was released mid May 2019
18:30:01 <sysrqb> okay
18:30:11 <sysrqb> yes
18:30:14 <pili> we're not in a huge rush either :)
18:30:25 <pili> we can just start thinking about it
18:30:31 <sysrqb> and it may be the case that 9.5 is a smaller release
18:31:36 <sysrqb> but we can see how far we get with s27 work
18:32:19 <pili> yup
18:32:36 <pili> one nice thing we should try to include is the client authorization work from S27
18:32:45 <sysrqb> and maybe we'll have some improvements from s30 , by that time
18:33:07 <sysrqb> yeah, that would be nice
18:33:26 <pili> antonela any particular features you were thinking of? :)
18:33:33 <antonela> first, sorry for my abrupt starting :/ i read fast and i thought we were discussing 9.5 items
18:33:34 <antonela> grr
18:33:39 <pili> :D
18:33:45 <antonela> second yes, we have a lot of stuff going on
18:33:50 <antonela> actually :]
18:33:59 <pili> we can pick up where you left off ;)
18:34:24 <antonela> yes so there are some estimated work that doesnt have sponsor yet but we must do
18:34:28 <antonela> like https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201911%2C+ux-team&order=priority
18:35:17 <antonela> per-site sec settings is something we can have for 9.5 but will be easier to work and estimate if we have it in a previous point release
18:35:32 <antonela> so then when we launch 9.5 we are not running with all the things the last month
18:35:57 <sysrqb> yes :)
18:36:20 <antonela> so, s27 stuff all of them should make 9.5 - we can plan how we are going to split it between releases
18:36:24 <sysrqb> these releases are nice because we aren't implementing new features and moving onto a new esr, at the same time
18:36:31 <antonela> exactly
18:36:40 <antonela> and we have the next release for recovering :)
18:37:06 <antonela> then there are some stuff that could be part of S30 like tor-launcher and net settings next-steps
18:37:42 <antonela> for example: when you make a change in about:preferences#tor nothing happen now. We need to connect this flow into something actionable by users
18:38:03 <antonela> so, those stuff are S30 items and needs a point release deadline
18:38:33 <antonela> nothing happens == there is not user feedback, users needs to restart the browser to apply changes,e tc
18:39:02 <antonela> and then TBA
18:39:13 <antonela> which is another world :)
18:39:24 <antonela> and i'll stop here
18:39:27 <sysrqb> yes....
18:40:21 <sysrqb> honestly, i'm not planning any feature improvements for Android until next March or April
18:40:33 <sysrqb> depending on when we start working on the fenix transition
18:41:20 <antonela> good to know
18:41:27 <pili> ok
18:41:30 <sysrqb> but s27 improvements on desktop are good for 9.5
18:41:59 <antonela> yep
18:42:32 <antonela> about s30 for TB is all what happen between tor-launcher, Net Settings and bridges
18:42:49 <sysrqb> si
18:43:10 <antonela> i'll sync with phw about it next week during the summit and i hope we can come up with some close aligned scope on that
18:43:27 <sysrqb> i think we are planning on doing some work early next year
18:43:32 <antonela> yep
18:43:49 <sysrqb> but we probably won't ship them in the next stable
18:43:53 <sysrqb> but we'll see :)
18:43:56 <antonela> but i'm most interested in s27 stuff and other stuff that doesnt have sponsor but we have labeled as this/next month work
18:44:03 <antonela> sysrqb: yep
18:44:05 <sysrqb> yep
18:44:19 <sysrqb> good, good
18:44:56 <pili> ok
18:45:49 <pili> so it sounds like it would be nice if we could plan 9.5 alpha releases as these features are being completed?
18:46:19 <pili> since we have freedom to choose when we do 9.5 releases
18:46:28 <sysrqb> that's probably a good idea
18:46:39 <sysrqb> ideally we'd bundle a few changes together
18:46:44 <antonela> or plan the alpha releases based on when we need the features being completed :)
18:47:08 <sysrqb> but yes, releasing alphas when features are ready is good
18:47:29 <sysrqb> antonela: yeah, i agree, we should choose dates for them
18:47:35 <pili> it's also something nice that we can show funders :)
18:47:40 <antonela> good yes
18:47:43 <antonela> exactly
18:48:12 <pili> ok
18:48:17 <sysrqb> i think we can go through the tickets and tag them with target releases
18:48:40 <sysrqb> and assign a release date for the releasess
18:49:27 <pili> sounds good to me
18:49:28 <pili> we have about 10 minutes left so maybe we don't have time to do it during this meeting
18:49:41 <pili> but we can look at doing this during the next release meeting? or one of the browser team meetings
18:50:01 <sysrqb> yep. i don't thik we should do it during this meeting :)
18:50:04 <sysrqb> (today)
18:50:30 <sysrqb> the next release meeting seems like a good time for it
18:50:34 <antonela> agreed
18:50:39 <pili> good! :)
18:50:46 <pili> anything else to discuss today?
18:50:56 <sysrqb> and i'll try to triage the ticket before the meeting, as well
18:51:03 <sysrqb> *tickets
18:51:31 <antonela> sysrqb: feel free to add ux-team labels on what is needed
18:51:42 <sysrqb> antonela: okay! will do :)
18:51:49 <antonela> thanks 🙏
18:52:42 <pili> ok
18:52:46 <sysrqb> i think i'm good
18:53:26 <pili> everyone else good? :)
18:53:29 <pili> if so, I think we may be done...
18:54:16 * antonela is groot
18:54:41 <sysrqb> i don't think pospeselr came back
18:54:52 <pili> hehe
18:54:53 <pili> ok
18:54:56 <pili> let's end the meeting here then :)
18:54:59 <pili> thanks everyone!
18:55:01 <pili> #endmeeting