18:59:47 <pili> #startmeeting tor browser release 12/04
18:59:47 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Dec  4 18:59:47 2019 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:47 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:47 <pili> Here’s the pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
19:01:18 <pili> Please add any discussion topics and/or requests
19:03:20 <pili> I’ll just give a few more minutes
19:05:30 <pili> Ok
19:05:35 <pili> Let’s get started
19:06:22 <pili> So I started filling out the ESR release dates
19:06:49 <pili> And I started wondering what we do about tor releases
19:07:02 <GeKo> we pick them up in our next release(s)
19:07:05 <GeKo> usually
19:07:11 <pili> As in, when and how do we possibly them up
19:07:14 <pili> Ok
19:07:46 <GeKo> like we would pick up 0.4.2.x in the release on 01/07
19:07:55 <pili> Got it :)
19:08:01 <GeKo> i mean we _could_ think about release just for new tor versions
19:08:03 <pili> That was easy
19:08:12 <pili> I don’t think we need to
19:08:21 <GeKo> yeah
19:08:31 <pili> I just realized I didn’t know (or I forgot)
19:09:26 <pili> The next thing I wanted to discuss was when we want to start picking up S27 changes in a release
19:10:06 <pili> For the client auth stuff we probably have to wait until 0.4.3 is out
19:10:25 * antonela is here for the next 20 minutes
19:10:46 <pili> Unless it’s on some earlier tor alpha that we can put in a browser alpha
19:10:49 <GeKo> when is the first alpha for 0.4.3.x planned?
19:11:24 <pili> I need to check that one sec
19:12:03 <GeKo> alternatively we could investigate how hard it is to just backport the patches of that feature to test early on
19:12:20 <GeKo> it would not be the first time that we shipped a custom tor client
19:12:31 <pili> Ah, they don’t have alpha releases on trac
19:12:43 <GeKo> forunately the last time we needed to do so was long ago
19:13:04 <GeKo> let's ask
19:13:49 <pili> I seem to remember we asked this some time ago and only nickm knows... :)
19:14:20 <pili> Ah, no...
19:14:55 <pili> Ok
19:14:56 <GeKo> alright it seems like mid-january
19:15:15 <pili> So we need to make sure these changes make it in also
19:15:38 <GeKo> it's not unreasonable to release alphas every two weeks
19:15:49 <pili> Ok, I’ll review the corresponding network team tickets
19:16:00 <GeKo> so those folks working on tor browser next year could think about doing a release just for that :)
19:16:08 <GeKo> between the regular releases
19:16:32 <pili> So, end of January or so
19:17:28 <GeKo> for the onion-location redirects
19:17:46 <GeKo> the patch is not reviewed yet and thus has not even landed on nightlies
19:18:07 <GeKo> AND it seems folks don't like the Onion-Location header and want something else (potentially)
19:18:32 <GeKo> so the latter needs to get sorted out _before_ we ship an alpha release with that feature i think
19:18:45 <GeKo> actually, i should probably start babbling here
19:18:54 * GeKo hands the mic to sysrqb
19:19:17 <pili> Which folks? ;)
19:19:55 <GeKo> alec to begin with and  i think sysrqb is in doubt, too
19:20:10 <GeKo> i am fine with not introducing a new header either
19:20:25 <pili> I think the Onion-Location header is a good one to start with
19:20:36 <sysrqb> sorry, on a phone call
19:20:45 <pili> And show how redirection could work
19:21:07 <pili> And we can also implement other complementary solutions
19:21:31 <pili> But anyway, that’s just my opinion :D
19:21:38 <GeKo> pili: the tricky part is you need a service provider implementing that
19:21:43 <GeKo> it's not in our hands
19:21:48 <pili> Yup
19:21:52 <GeKo> we only can offer that
19:22:05 <sysrqb> yeah, that's a big one
19:22:08 <GeKo> and i think not introducing an onion-location header makes it way more likely
19:22:16 <GeKo> that others are using our features
19:22:19 <GeKo> *feature
19:23:52 <pili> I think I need to read the thread again because I don’t see how it’s that hard to send an extra header... :)
19:24:14 <pili> From the service provider side
19:24:27 <GeKo> they don't want it
19:24:40 <GeKo> oh, it's not an extra header that is the issue
19:24:49 <pili> But anyway... I’m happy to go off and do my homework and discuss at a later date
19:24:52 <GeKo> they could e.g. send Location: blabla.onion
19:25:01 <GeKo> it's a new custom one just for tor
19:25:59 <pili> Right but couldn’t they just send it for everyone? And whoever doesn’t need it, can just ignore it...
19:26:23 <GeKo> anyay, i think the important thing to take from here is that we ened to sort that out before shipping anything in the alpha
19:26:27 <GeKo> *anyway
19:26:30 <GeKo> *need
19:26:49 <pili> Sure
19:27:14 <pili> I’m just concerned that this is part of the s27 work plan :)
19:27:21 * GeKo gives his second mic to sysrqb, too
19:27:41 <GeKo> the feature, yes, the header, not necessarily imo
19:27:50 <pili> But I guess it’s not a new issue that we write a proposal and then find a better way to do things
19:28:20 <pili> I just hope we can reuse some of the work we’ve done on this already:
19:29:54 <pili> Ok
19:30:17 <GeKo> pili: most of it
19:31:13 <sysrqb> and i think we can use the current Onion-Location patch, and repurpose parts of it
19:31:20 <pili> sysrqb did you have any other features you wanted to get in the next few releases
19:31:21 <sysrqb> if we decide we want something a little different
19:31:28 <GeKo> yeah
19:31:33 <pili> Ok, great :)
19:32:34 <sysrqb> i don't think I do, but i need to go over tickets again
19:32:55 <pili> Ok, no worries, I’ll have a think also
19:33:22 <pili> Does anyone else have any other requests for features for the next few releases?
19:34:21 <pili> Ok
19:35:06 <pili> The final item I have is a reminder to remove the YE campaign changes for the January release
19:35:33 <pili> There’s a ticket already so I don’t think we’ll forget :)
19:35:34 <GeKo> so you should move the work to december
19:35:41 <GeKo> not january
19:36:42 <GeKo> beceause release prep will start on 2/1 or so (at least that's what i assume)
19:36:49 <pili> Ok
19:37:07 <pili> It’s a good thing I mentioned it then... ;)
19:37:12 <pili> Thanks!
19:37:17 <GeKo> yw
19:37:36 <GeKo> i mean it would probably work to squeeze the patch in on 2/!
19:37:40 <GeKo> *2/1
19:37:53 <GeKo> but that seems stressful
19:39:04 <pili> Done
19:39:21 <pili> Should I assign to mcs ?
19:39:52 <GeKo> dunno? :)
19:40:22 <pili> sysrqb: ? ^ :D
19:40:36 <sysrqb> sure :)
19:40:45 <sysrqb> we can reassign it, if needed
19:40:52 <pili> In any case, if there’s nothing else from anyone I think we’re done here
19:40:59 <sysrqb> sorry, distracted :(
19:41:03 <GeKo> just a fyi:
19:41:08 <pili> I’ll just give a last chance... ;)
19:41:32 <GeKo> this will probably be my last release meeting, sysrqb will be handling release from now on
19:41:41 <GeKo> he did well with the alpha :)
19:41:54 <pili> Sounds good, we will miss you :)
19:41:55 <GeKo> so, it was my pleasure and good luck
19:42:09 <pili> And you’re always welcome to visit ;)
19:42:16 <sysrqb> thanks GeKo :)
19:42:19 <GeKo> i will only be a ping away ;)
19:42:20 <pili> Thank you!!! :€
19:42:24 <pili> :)
19:42:46 <pili> Ok, let’s leave things there then
19:42:52 <GeKo> o/
19:43:09 <pili> Last meeting of the year will be on 12/18
19:43:16 <pili> Thanks everyone!
19:43:19 <sysrqb> \o/
19:43:23 <pili> #end
19:43:33 <pili> #endmeeting