18:59:49 <pili> #startmeeting tor-browser-release 01/15
18:59:49 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Jan 15 18:59:49 2020 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:49 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:17 <pili> Here is the meeting pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
19:00:23 <pili> who's around today?
19:00:24 <sysrqb> hello, hello!
19:00:31 <pili> o/
19:00:45 <ggus> oi! :o)
19:01:02 <acat> hi!
19:01:23 <pili> nice to see you all here :)
19:01:48 <c1e0> o/
19:01:53 <pili> I'll give everyone some time to add any discussion items and/or requests
19:03:58 <pili> not seeing anything so far... :) I guess that means we can move on with my discussion topic?
19:04:23 <pili> ok
19:04:36 <pili> so this year I want us to try to start mapping new features in the pipeline to releases
19:05:06 <pili> so we can help antonela to plan user testing for these features during the S9 user testing program
19:06:03 <pili> the main candidates I can think of so far are new features from S27 work, per-site security settings and possibly some new features from S30 towards the end of the year
19:06:25 <pili> am I missing anything big? my head is mainly on sponsor work lately
19:07:07 <sysrqb> that covers most of it
19:07:53 <sysrqb> ignoring ths the large migration project
19:07:57 <sysrqb> *the
19:08:23 <pili> yup :/
19:09:33 <sysrqb> if i'm honest, i'm still a little overwhelmed with understanding/remembering everything we need to do
19:09:33 <pili> ok, I think we already discussed some of this in other forums, but we can probably aim for some of the S27 features to land with the ESR68.7 release in April
19:09:36 <sysrqb> and how to balance it
19:09:47 <sysrqb> but i know we'll figure that out
19:09:50 <pili> sysrqb: don't worry, we can do it together :)
19:09:58 <sysrqb> yup :)
19:11:31 <sysrqb> we have #30237 which is already partially landed
19:11:39 <pili> right, the other option for s27 is to pick up some features at the same time we pick up the tor 0.4.3alpha
19:11:47 <sysrqb> and i should look at the remaining pieces and decide what we should do with it
19:11:57 <pili> which is what I actually had in the pad previously
19:12:23 <pili> shall we try that? around Feb 21
19:12:33 <pili> I think that would be 9.5a5
19:13:03 <pili> or 9.5a6 depending on whether we want to do an alpha release at the same time as we do the 9.0.5 release for ESR68.5
19:13:19 <sysrqb> we'll want alpha releases at the same time as stable releases (so 9.5a5 at the same time as 9.0.5)
19:13:39 <sysrqb> but we can schedule additional alpha releases in between those, as well
19:14:07 <sysrqb> ESR 68.5 will have security updates which we'll want to include in an alpha, too
19:14:44 <sysrqb> yeah. so, as you said, we cna plan a 9.5a6 release for those :)
19:14:45 <pili> ok
19:14:50 <pili> sounds good
19:14:55 <pili> nothing is set in stone anyway
19:15:23 <sysrqb> yeah
19:16:09 <pili> ok, so we can probably release the client auth work in 9.5a6 with tor 0.4.3alpha
19:16:34 <pili> and the rest of the S27 work in the April release
19:16:48 <pili> 9.5a8 probably
19:17:43 <pili> or 9.5a9 if we want to wait for tor 0.4.3 stable release around mid April
19:18:22 <sysrqb> do we know if there will be a 0.4.3alpha release within the next few weeks?
19:18:44 <pili> I have the first one on 02/21
19:18:50 <pili> I guess that was discussed some point in the past
19:18:57 <sysrqb> okay
19:19:44 <pili> we can double check that though
19:20:01 <sysrqb> we can think about releasing 9.5a6 on the following tuesday (-ish)
19:20:14 <sysrqb> then we'll have two weeks between the releases
19:20:21 <sysrqb> (roughly)
19:20:35 <pili> sounds good
19:20:45 <ggus> we should add to support portal this new TBB UI of hidden service
19:21:11 <pili> so around Feb 25 then?
19:21:26 <sysrqb> ggus: this will only be available in the alpha
19:21:43 <pili> which brings me to my next question... :)
19:21:46 <sysrqb> but it would be nice documenting it
19:21:57 <sysrqb> pili: yeah, around Feb 25
19:22:03 <ggus> oh right
19:22:09 <pili> when do we want to start thinking about releasing 9.5 stable?
19:24:20 <sysrqb> maybe in a month? :) i think we'll have a better understanding of remaining s27 around that time
19:24:39 <sysrqb> i can see us releasing 9.5 somewhere between mid-March and mid-April
19:25:39 <sysrqb> but I don't know which tickets should go into stable vs. remain in alpha, and how much time is still needed for them
19:25:46 <pili> ok, so maybe once S27 is over in mid April would be a nice time
19:26:07 <sysrqb> that's probably the safest target
19:26:11 <pili> right
19:26:12 <pili> I can take that action to find out
19:26:23 <pili> also to give us time to test S27 items in alpha
19:27:00 <sysrqb> yeah
19:27:06 <pili> ok
19:27:12 <sysrqb> we can think about releasing another alpha in mid-march, too
19:27:17 <pili> yup
19:27:20 <sysrqb> if that'll help
19:28:08 <pili> ah, maybe we can time it with the 0.4.3 stable release
19:28:09 <pili> that's April 15
19:28:41 <sysrqb> that is good timing
19:29:36 <pili> ok
19:29:43 <pili> I'm quite happy with that so far :)
19:30:10 <pili> I think that's enough to have planned for now
19:30:30 <pili> anyone else have any other comments on this or other topics?
19:30:55 <ggus> i have another topic about tba manual
19:31:05 <pili> ggus: go ahead
19:31:32 <ggus> we have been working on tba manual, and here's: https://lektor-staging.torproject.org/tor-browser-manual/develop/mobile-tor/
19:32:01 <ggus> (lektor developer branch is not generating images)
19:32:15 <ggus> but you can see here: https://github.com/torproject/manual/pull/58/files
19:32:41 <sysrqb> exciting, nice!
19:32:46 <ggus> if you could read, we can merge it in the next days to tb-manual.torproject.org
19:34:01 <sysrqb> okay, i'll read it after this meeting
19:34:08 <pili> Sounds good
19:34:25 <pili> Thank you ggus and c1e0 !
19:34:28 <ggus> thanks! :)
19:34:31 <sysrqb> we'll need antonela for how we should show the link on about:tor on android
19:34:33 <pili> Anything else?
19:34:41 <sysrqb> it is hidden right now
19:34:49 <pili> And sysrqb for reviewing ;)
19:35:19 <pili> Aaah yes, we should probably create a ticket for that
19:35:35 <sysrqb> :) i don't have anything else
19:35:42 <sysrqb> yeah, i can open that ticket
19:36:47 <pili> Ok
19:36:53 <pili> Thanks sysrqb !
19:37:02 <pili> Are we all good?
19:37:32 <ggus> i'm good
19:37:46 <pili> Ok
19:38:00 <pili> I’ll end things now then
19:38:06 <pili> Thanks everyone!
19:38:15 <pili> #endmeeting