15:01:15 <karsten> #startmeeting metrics team
15:01:15 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu Jan 23 15:01:15 2020 UTC.  The chair is karsten. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:01:15 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:01:25 <gaba> The pad is here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-metricsteam-2020.1-keep
15:01:48 <karsten> anything else for the agenda before we start?
15:02:35 <karsten> okay, starting.
15:02:42 <acute> not from me
15:02:45 <karsten> potential gsoc project (georg is interested in mentoring with somebody else): Tor weather (#26124) <-- pili is going to follow up on this to define scope of this gsoc project --gaba -->
15:03:09 <karsten> Brin?
15:03:21 <karsten> does zwiebelbot have character issues?
15:03:29 <karsten> or is it my irssi?
15:03:32 <irl> worked for me
15:03:35 <irl> "a student that only triples my workload is a good student"
15:03:39 <gaba> it did
15:03:50 <gaba> it did work*
15:03:55 <karsten> interesting...
15:04:08 <karsten> so, regarding this gsoc project,
15:04:15 <karsten> despite irl's concerns... ;)
15:04:22 <gaba> irl: i'm guessing you are saying you do not want to mentor? :)
15:04:42 <irl> i mean, i'm happy to answer questions and review code
15:04:48 <karsten> if this project would use onionoo as data backend, we could support the onionoo side of this.
15:05:07 <irl> yeah it would be good to not have this be a separate thing, it should fit with our existing tools
15:05:12 <karsten> like help with the API, extend it (though not too much) in order to make weather work better.
15:05:19 <irl> yeah
15:05:29 <GeKo> karsten: i am not sure whether i am interested yet :) but, i guess it _could_ be a good project
15:05:34 <karsten> it would require some new parts with a subscription database and emailer and all.
15:05:41 <karsten> hi GeKo!
15:05:49 <GeKo> hihi!
15:06:01 <pili> (I'm in another meeting, will read backlog later :) )
15:06:12 <karsten> I'm more careful about mentoring the development of those new parts.
15:06:27 <karsten> also because I'm not good at writing applications like that.
15:07:01 <karsten> GeKo: if you would mentor those parts and we would mentor the data side with onionoo, that would work for me.
15:07:13 <karsten> if you decide it will be a good project.
15:07:20 <karsten> and if you find a good student for it.
15:08:05 <gaba> Sounds good and important to specificy the project you all think is needed. I know pili is on it so I think we should wait for her to move forward with the project and we all give feedback and help her shape it.
15:08:08 <GeKo> okay, good to know
15:08:23 <karsten> sounds good to me!
15:08:57 <karsten> okay, moving on?
15:09:10 <irl> ok
15:09:16 <gaba> ok
15:09:22 <karsten> schedule next roadmap session
15:09:31 <karsten> how about the week after next week?
15:09:38 <irl> ok
15:09:43 <karsten> because we might learn more about what's needed next week.
15:09:48 <karsten> we == irl
15:09:48 <gaba> so far there is more work to do, mostly about the onionperf project.
15:10:12 <irl> i think onionperf work might be informed by my trip quite a bit
15:10:19 <karsten> yes.
15:10:26 <gaba> right
15:10:37 <gaba> irl: but you are done on the 31st, right?
15:10:43 <karsten> should we pick a date?
15:11:08 <karsten> I'm afk from 31st to 3rd.
15:11:23 <gaba> the project will be informed by the meetings next week but we already have a project that we shaped and presented to moss
15:11:32 <irl> if i'm taking days off because i was travelling/meeting, then i only work two days in week 6
15:11:43 <acute> unfortunately, I also have very little time until the 5th of February
15:11:45 <irl> i don't mind so much which days they are
15:11:53 <irl> and i'll probably end up only taking 1 day back
15:12:18 <gaba> I say let's continue working on it independent and then we can sync again when you are all back
15:12:40 <karsten> well, we could pick a date for our next roadmap session.
15:12:43 <irl> we will meet anyway on 6th feb 1500 for metrics meeting
15:12:56 <gaba> In the pad I wrote some of the tasks I need you all to do. https://pad.riseup.net/p/0K2Q5uuN0CbjbOGxJQsL-keep
15:12:56 <irl> we could roadmap 7th feb 1500?
15:13:39 <karsten> 7th at 15 utc works for me.
15:13:50 <karsten> gaba: and yes, we can do those tasks until then.
15:13:53 <gaba> 7th is a Friday. I will be traveling that day but let me check if I can meet in the morning
15:14:12 <acute> yes this works for me
15:15:09 <irl> we can also roadmap the week after if that's easier for you gaba
15:15:12 <irl> we don't want to rush it
15:15:35 * gaba is checking the calendar and looking for the flight...
15:16:06 <gaba> yes, let's do the monday after
15:16:20 <karsten> 15 utc?
15:16:29 <karsten> that's the 10th then.
15:16:34 <gaba> yes
15:16:35 <irl> works for me
15:16:53 <acute> seems ok
15:17:02 <karsten> great!
15:17:46 <karsten> okay, moving on?
15:17:58 <irl> ok
15:18:21 <karsten> Needs review tickets: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5EMetrics&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
15:18:45 <karsten> irl: should I set you as reviewer if I hope that you review something?
15:19:01 <karsten> or would you rather assign yourself?
15:20:17 <irl> karsten: either is ok for me
15:20:25 <karsten> okay.
15:20:32 <irl> my query catches either those without a reviewer or those where i'm set as reviewer
15:20:53 <irl> i do the ones where i'm a reviewer first so you could indicate priority by setting me as reviewer if you like
15:21:16 <irl> e.g. where you have data fresh and don't want to reprocess again
15:21:20 <karsten> yeah.
15:21:25 <karsten> not the case with these three.
15:22:04 <karsten> do you think you can do these three before you leave?
15:22:09 <irl> i think so
15:22:27 <karsten> and what about the bottom three? are these yours, too?
15:22:50 <irl> i've been braindumping the exitscanner into https://people.torproject.org/~irl/exitscan.html so i can pick that up again when i'm back, and then i'll shut off the aws stuff for that until i'm back too
15:22:55 <irl> and then i'll just do reviews
15:23:16 <irl> some of the onionperf ones have been reviewed and need changes
15:23:19 <irl> so i updated those in trac just now
15:23:54 <karsten> wait, do we need to consider two lists?
15:24:04 <karsten> trac + gitlab?
15:24:29 <irl> nothing is actively being worked on in gitlab right now
15:24:35 <irl> the onionperf stuff is in metrics/cloud component
15:24:41 <karsten> ah. okay.
15:25:22 <karsten> cool. anything else on tickets in need of review?
15:25:46 <irl> not from me
15:26:06 <karsten> moving on to another ticket query then:
15:26:08 <karsten> Defect tickets: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=needs_information&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&type=defect&component=%5EMetrics&group=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=priority&col=changetime&desc=1&order=component
15:26:28 <karsten> as I said last week I went through the list of defects we accumulated.
15:27:07 <karsten> I tried to assign priority high to some of them.
15:27:26 <karsten> this is tricky, because I don't want to manage our defects. I want to resolve them. ;)
15:27:50 <irl> right
15:28:14 <karsten> so, one of the criteria I used was "can we close that soon, if only we look at it now?"
15:28:44 <karsten> if anything else of the medium-prioritized tickets stands out as high priority, please change that.
15:29:10 <karsten> but I assume you're not going to do much with these defects in the next two weeks anyway.
15:29:17 <irl> i think i have a long time to spend in an airport next week, i'll take a look through that query then
15:29:37 <karsten> that sounds great!
15:29:51 <karsten> if it's any relief, the list is a lot shorter than it was four weeks ago.
15:30:04 <irl> yay
15:30:28 <karsten> okay, great! let's look again at this list at our next meeting.
15:30:45 <karsten> moving on to roadmap?
15:30:55 <irl> ok
15:31:24 <karsten> I already moved one card to done. #32747
15:31:50 <karsten> and I just moved the graphs for mike to the review column.
15:31:59 <karsten> which leaves fun with geoip databases...
15:33:39 <irl> ok that's tickets updated
15:33:55 <gaba> #29624 and #29653 should be done in february, right?
15:33:59 <irl> i've moved onionoo hosts back to backlog for now, i've not made progress on that and we should do that once things have calmed down a bit
15:34:03 <gaba> I will take them out of the icebox into the backlog
15:34:10 <irl> yes
15:34:23 <irl> oh wait, not new version of exit list format
15:34:39 <irl> and i guess also #29653 is done, it's not reusable
15:35:00 <gaba> can we close it?
15:35:03 <irl> yes
15:35:40 <karsten> are you going to do that, irl?
15:35:42 <irl> done
15:35:45 <karsten> :)
15:35:46 <gaba> ty
15:36:03 <karsten> oh, speaking of tickets: #33010
15:36:13 <karsten> I was just wondering if that's in the wrong component.
15:36:31 <irl> that's not what onionperf does
15:36:45 <pili> #33010 was proposed as a gsoc project also I think
15:36:47 <karsten> it's in the Exit Scanner component right now.
15:37:01 <karsten> it might be something for Ideas.
15:37:08 <irl> yeah, you could do it with exitmap
15:37:14 <irl> i think exitmap already has this plugin even
15:37:46 <karsten> anyway. this just came to mind when talking about Exit Scanner tickets.
15:38:37 * phw surfaces and points people to https://github.com/NullHypothesis/exitmap/blob/master/src/modules/cloudflared.py
15:38:50 <irl> yeah i was sure i'd seen this
15:39:17 <karsten> can you comment on the ticket, so that this doesn't get lost?
15:39:31 <karsten> and should we move it to Ideas?
15:39:47 <irl> yes ideas is the right place i think
15:40:01 <irl> i can see a case for metrics running instances and publishing data on this sort of thing
15:40:40 <karsten> right.
15:40:48 <gaba> i do not see us having more mentors for this one as a gsoc project
15:41:10 <gaba> it will be a busy year, one gsoc project to mentor will be enough :)
15:41:40 <gaba> unless people in other teams can/want to do it
15:41:49 <karsten> well, the process is that we write ideas, receive applications, and then decide which students we can accept and mentor, right?
15:41:57 <gaba> right
15:42:04 <karsten> having more ideas is useful.
15:42:06 <gaba> do you think this one is a better project to mentor than then other one?
15:42:13 <gaba> yes, that is right
15:42:20 <gaba> more ideas is good :)
15:42:41 <karsten> I didn't really read about that idea. I wouldn't be a good person to mentor this.
15:43:02 <karsten> it also doesn't have to be a metrics person.
15:43:44 <pili> +1 to more ideas
15:43:45 <pili> more ideas does not have to mean more mentors
15:43:51 <pili> and they do give us more chances to be selected as long as the ideas are "exciting" ;)
15:44:01 <karsten> right!
15:44:14 <gaba> ok, sounds good
15:44:26 <karsten> so, going back to the roadmap topic.
15:44:36 <karsten> everything good with the in progress column?
15:44:59 <irl> yep
15:45:24 <gaba> yes
15:45:28 <karsten> alright, that was our last topic for today.
15:45:45 <karsten> irl: if you need my help with anything next week, just let me know.
15:46:04 <irl> ok will do
15:46:23 <karsten> no meeting next week, but the week after, right?
15:46:34 <irl> sounds good
15:46:40 <gaba> irl: also if you want to send any question/comment/notes about the all hands to our signal group, that would be good
15:46:44 <gaba> yes
15:46:58 <irl> yeah
15:47:15 <karsten> cool!
15:47:42 <karsten> thanks, everyone! have a good evening/day! o/
15:47:47 <gaba> thanks! o/
15:47:58 <karsten> #endmeeting