19:00:18 <pili> #startmeeting tor-browser-release 02/05
19:00:18 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed Feb  5 19:00:18 2020 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:18 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:29 <pili> hi everyone
19:00:49 <antonela> hello
19:01:12 <pili> here's the pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
19:01:23 <pili> I'm a bit unprepared today, so please bear with me :)
19:05:05 <pili> ok
19:05:06 <pili> please add any discussion points and or requests
19:08:08 <pili> ok, I think we can probably get started
19:08:26 <pili> the first item is mine
19:08:32 <sysrqb> :)
19:09:16 <pili> I wanted us to go through the release dates I have on the pad and double check that they are all there and try to add some features that we want to release
19:09:51 <pili> also in light of any conversations that might have happened during the All Hands :)
19:10:33 <pili> so, next release I have happening next week with ESR68.5 security updates
19:11:05 <pili> and we potentially want to pick up changes also in the 9.5alpha
19:11:06 <pili> anything else?
19:11:23 <sysrqb> i think we can plan until 9.5 stable, and we should discuss releases after that during our roadmapping tomorrow
19:11:38 <antonela> which time is the roadmapping tomorrow?
19:11:57 <sysrqb> oops :)
19:12:09 <antonela> could i manage to get an invite? :_
19:12:10 <sysrqb> i think that was going to be during my 1:1 with pili
19:12:11 <antonela> :)
19:12:15 <antonela> ahh ok
19:12:31 <pili> spoiler alert :D
19:12:32 <sysrqb> but I think you can join when we start the roadmapping part
19:13:01 <antonela> i mean, i just want to make sure that we are planning overlapping at the right time
19:13:04 <pili> sounds good
19:13:14 <sysrqb> yep, that sounds good :)
19:13:23 <sysrqb> we can ping you before we begin
19:13:29 <antonela> colio
19:13:39 <pili> I have 9.5 stable around mid April
19:13:56 <sysrqb> i think that is still a good plan
19:14:28 <pili> ok, so let's plan until then now if we can
19:15:30 <sysrqb> #30237 will be in 9.5a5
19:15:38 <pili> oh, nice
19:15:39 <sysrqb> i merged that last night
19:15:56 <pili> I had that for the release after that one so it's very nice to have it earlier :)
19:16:21 <pili> I should check that we have the equivalent tor changes in the
19:16:22 <sysrqb> everything was ready :)
19:16:51 <sysrqb> we should test it in the nightly build before next week's release :)
19:17:17 <sysrqb> should have the needed changes
19:17:28 <pili> cool, then we should have another alpha release 2 weeks after that and we can pick up any other changes from that sponsor
19:17:29 <sysrqb> and we'll use that in the next alpha release
19:17:35 <sysrqb> yep
19:18:34 <pili> then 2 weeks after that we have the next ESR68 update
19:19:05 <pili> around the 2nd week of March
19:19:42 <pili> other than the ESR68.6 update, do we want to pick up any other changes in the alpha?
19:21:04 <pili> actually, for the 9.5a6 release on 02/25 maybe we can pick up the onion url bar updates
19:22:25 <sysrqb> i'm not sure we want the new url bar indicators
19:23:01 <sysrqb> because that ticket updates the onion icon so it is similar to the new lock icon which firefox uses
19:23:13 <pili> ok
19:23:16 <sysrqb> but the change in firefox wasn't released until after 68esr
19:23:36 <sysrqb> so, if we release our updated icons, then it won't match the current style in tor browser
19:23:44 <pili> will that need to wait until we move to rapid release?
19:23:46 <sysrqb> maybe this is okay
19:24:04 <sysrqb> yes, if we don't want a mismatch between indicators
19:24:09 <pili> actually, #32645 needs a reviewer... ;)
19:24:12 <antonela> sysrqb: are you talking about onion indicators or ?
19:24:16 <sysrqb> i don't really have a strong opinion on this
19:24:38 <sysrqb> but we should be sure we know what we're doing :)
19:24:42 <sysrqb> antonela: yeah
19:25:14 <sysrqb> maybe this is what you want, and that's okay
19:25:30 <sysrqb> we can release this if you think a gray onion and green lock is good
19:26:08 <antonela> well, feature releases have never been "what i want"
19:26:21 <sysrqb> :)
19:26:28 <antonela> (:
19:26:48 <sysrqb> i am giving you the authority for this
19:26:52 <antonela> im happy to discuss about it in the ticket, im just trying to push onion features in alpha before is so late
19:27:03 <sysrqb> yeah
19:27:14 <pili> is there a nightly we can see it on to help us decide?
19:27:27 <sysrqb> okay, we can discuss outside of the meeting
19:27:31 <pili> ok
19:28:21 <sysrqb> pili: we can create test builds of it, if that'll help
19:29:05 <pili> it's not high priority, but if there's one created anyway I'd love to check it out
19:29:40 <pili> so if we're not going to pick up #32645 yet I'm wondering if there'll be anything else ready to release on alpha by then
19:30:03 <sysrqb> maybe #28005
19:30:22 <sysrqb> but i don't know if it will be ready
19:30:30 <sysrqb> and i don't know if we want to release it in an alpha
19:31:04 <pili> I don't think so :) maybe by 03/21
19:31:05 <pili> for 9.5a8-ish
19:32:27 <pili> ok, we'll have another release meeting before the ESR68.6 release, so we can see where we are then
19:33:02 <sysrqb> we also have #21952 #19251
19:33:08 <pili> Ideally we'd have picked up all S27 changes in the next few alphas before the project ends on 31st March
19:33:16 <pili> yup
19:33:28 <sysrqb> but i still need to catch up on Onion-location, i'm not sure where that is now and if we really want it in an alpha release
19:34:02 <sysrqb> and if #19251 is the only ticket ready for 9.5a6, then releasing that probably isn't worth our time
19:34:58 <antonela> onion errors needs copy review, i'd like to have alsmith or stephw review before moving forward with the strings
19:35:04 <pili> I think #19251 would be a really nice one to release if it's ready
19:35:05 <pili> there's actually quite a lot on that one
19:35:06 <pili> and it could help us to run user tests on it an iterate
19:35:09 <pili> *and iterate
19:36:40 <sysrqb> yeah
19:37:44 <sysrqb> we can decide at the next release meeting if we have enough features for creating an alpha release on 25 Feb
19:38:22 <sysrqb> that's actually good timing, because we can start the release process that night
19:38:31 <sysrqb> (begin building, etc.)
19:39:04 <pili> yup
19:39:05 <pili> ok, so I've added a few suggestions to the pad in light of our discussion
19:39:08 <pili> so we have something to aim towards
19:39:26 <pili> and which more or less takes us up to 9.5 stable
19:39:46 <pili> antonela: does that match with your requests or am I forgetting something?
19:40:03 <antonela> i think that is all
19:41:28 <pili> cool
19:41:39 <pili> shall we move on to the other request? :)
19:41:44 <pili> which is mine also :P
19:42:29 <pili> I've lost track of where we are with integrating snowflake into Tor Browser
19:43:04 <pili> I have a note here from my conversations at FOSDEM last week about having snowflake in 9.5 stable
19:43:18 <pili> but I'm not sure if we're going to be ready for that
19:43:45 <sysrqb> hrm. i'm not sure, too
19:43:55 <sysrqb> we'll need phw and cohosh for answering that
19:44:11 <sysrqb> i'm not sure if they think it's stable enough
19:44:12 <GeKo> last time coshosh said it was not ready yet
19:44:28 <sysrqb> yeah
19:44:29 <GeKo> but that's like two months or so ago
19:44:40 <GeKo> *that's been
19:44:58 <GeKo> the snoflake piece that recently landed and will be in the upcoming alpha
19:45:08 <GeKo> is a crucial piece to move things forward
19:45:13 <sysrqb> we can follow up with them and decide if it's ready
19:45:20 <GeKo> but there might be more needed
19:45:20 <sysrqb> right, updating pion
19:45:24 <GeKo> yep
19:45:34 <pili> ok
19:45:53 <GeKo> oh, and there is nothing for android yet
19:45:56 <pili> I guess we just need to make sure we keep up with them on that and don't forget about it amongst our other priorities
19:46:01 <pili> because I had :)
19:46:17 <GeKo> we were stuck when the snowflake used google's webrtc monster
19:46:27 <GeKo> and did not pick up the work after switching to pion
19:46:41 <sysrqb> #28672
19:46:46 <GeKo> yeah
19:47:36 <pili> ok, so let's follow up on that with them during the next anti-censorship meeting or something :)
19:47:55 <pili> that's all I had for today if there's nothing else on this or any other requests
19:48:25 <sysrqb> i don't have anything else for this meeting
19:49:05 <pili> antonela: are you groot?
19:49:12 <antonela> groot
19:49:18 <sysrqb> :)
19:49:24 <pili> ok then
19:49:27 <pili> thanks everyone
19:49:30 <pili> #endmeeting