14:59:26 <pili> #startmeeting S27 02/18
14:59:26 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Feb 18 14:59:26 2020 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:59:26 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:59:40 <asn> o/
14:59:48 <pili> here is the pad as usual: https://pad.riseup.net/p/s27-meeting-keep
14:59:52 <acat> hi
14:59:54 <dgoulet> hi
14:59:54 <pili> please add your updates
14:59:56 <pili> hi everyone
15:00:02 <pili> I think we won't have antonela today
15:01:26 <c1e0> Hiya
15:01:31 <asn> o/
15:02:17 <pili> btw, thank you for going ahead with the meeting in my absence last week, with special thanks to antonela for moderating the meeting :)
15:02:36 <mcs> pili: I hope you are feeling better
15:02:37 <pili> I read the backlog and I'm happy that you resolved my discussion points
15:02:53 <pili> mcs: yup, much better, I slept lots! :)
15:03:04 <mcs> good good :)
15:03:30 * sysrqb stumbles in
15:03:37 <pospeselr> o/
15:04:35 <asn> acat: really epic work on o2a5
15:04:42 <asn> btw what's the easiest way for people to try it out?
15:04:47 <asn> i dont want to download random binary from the nets
15:04:49 * mcs is impressed with acat’s progress in #28005 (althogh I have not tried it yet)
15:04:56 <dgoulet> yeah I would also like to test it
15:04:57 <asn> so i guess its compiling torbutton?
15:05:02 <dgoulet> I run Tor alpha ...
15:05:05 <dgoulet> TB*
15:05:10 <asn> ye same here
15:06:02 <acat> hmm, you could build tor-browser yourself with tor-browser-build
15:06:07 <asn> aha
15:06:15 <acat> I built with https://github.com/acatarineu/tor-browser/commit/28005_testbuild
15:06:50 <acat> I can do a tor-browser-build branch and you could try that
15:07:00 <asn> if it's not too much work it would be great
15:07:02 <asn> i'd really like to try
15:07:15 <acat> have you built the browser before?
15:07:26 <dgoulet> nope :S
15:07:30 <sysrqb> it may be easier if we provide a build for them :)
15:07:40 <pospeselr> hah yeah
15:07:48 <acat> but: <asn> i dont want to download random binary from the nets
15:07:58 <asn> :s
15:08:03 <asn> if i am asking for too much please ignore me
15:08:04 <dgoulet> signed by a fellow TB dev, I would do it :)
15:08:07 <sysrqb> asn may accept a signed package from one of us
15:08:12 <sysrqb> heh
15:08:13 <pili> while you're all discussing, I will give until 10past for pad updates :)
15:08:28 <acat> ok, but those are already signed by me :)
15:08:35 <asn> ack ack
15:08:38 <asn> ok will check them out!
15:08:41 <mcs> trust the acat :)
15:08:44 <sysrqb> :)
15:08:58 <asn> i dont trust people who can beat dgoulet in chess
15:09:05 <mcs> or maybe, trust but verify
15:09:15 <asn> chess-based-trust-model
15:09:27 <asn> or no?
15:09:35 <dgoulet> acat: you are the chess player? :)
15:09:42 <acat> maybe he has improved since the last meeting
15:09:43 <pili> ok people, let's move on... :D
15:09:45 <acat> yup :)
15:09:49 <dgoulet> acat: AAHAHAHAH yeah
15:09:52 <dgoulet> I trust him! :P
15:09:56 <asn> hahahhaaha
15:10:07 <sysrqb> god, we have transitive trust for asn
15:10:08 <pili> :D
15:10:09 <sysrqb> *good
15:10:18 <asn> :P
15:10:21 <sysrqb> asn -> dgoulet -> acat
15:10:24 <dgoulet> boom
15:10:44 <asn> ack
15:10:46 <asn> sounds good to me
15:10:58 <sysrqb> okay, moving along, as pili said :)
15:11:14 <pili> right, first of all, thank you everyone with all your work on this project, I'm very happy with where we are at now
15:11:33 <pili> today I just want to go through all of the unfinished objectives and check for any blockers and dependencies
15:11:52 <pili> so let's start with #29998
15:12:12 <pili> asn: are you good with this one?
15:12:14 <asn> yes
15:12:22 <asn> i've only had a single pre-alpha tester
15:12:24 <asn> unfortuantely
15:12:28 <asn> but it was good feedback
15:12:39 <asn> im also ready to merge #32709 upstream to tor
15:12:45 <asn> and im now doing some code improvement bugfixes
15:12:50 <asn> and i will start writing documentation this week
15:12:55 <asn> which is one of the big missing steps
15:13:01 <asn> because hte old OB had epic documentation...
15:13:07 <asn> so i need to make some v3 specific docs too
15:13:14 <pili> great! and that will be in 0.4.4 stable?
15:13:15 <asn> but yeah it's moving well1
15:13:17 <asn> yeah
15:14:01 <pili> is #32563 part of the docs for this?
15:14:11 <pili> I think that's the last outstanding -must ticket for this objective
15:14:20 <asn> yes
15:15:38 <pili> great
15:15:49 <pili> shall we move on to #30000?
15:16:16 <asn> yes
15:16:27 <pili> I think there's a dependency here for docs (#31069) and links that maybe c1e0 can help us with
15:17:09 <mcs> yes, I think that is the only unfinished dependency from the browser team’s perspective
15:17:20 <pili> there's also #32542 under #14389 but I think that's more for the errors objective
15:18:10 <pili> c1e0: feel free to ask any questions about this during this meeting or later once you've processed the ticket(s) on this :)
15:18:15 <mcs> maybe someone should re-parent #32542…
15:18:22 <c1e0> pili: Sure :)
15:18:25 <pili> mcs: yup, I will do that
15:19:07 <mcs> we will include support for those final two error codes in the browser so once tor starts emitting them users will see the correct error pages
15:19:13 <mcs> at least that is the brade/mcs plan
15:19:33 <acat> we also would need a page for the "learn more" link in #21952
15:19:45 <sysrqb> do we know if those will be included in the next 0.4.3.x-alpha?
15:19:58 <sysrqb> (the remaining error codes)
15:20:23 <pili> asn: dgoulet: I guess we can close #14389 now as all children are closed?
15:20:24 <pili> wdyt?
15:20:31 <sysrqb> oh, i guess it was reprioritied to 0.4.4 :/
15:20:35 <dgoulet> pili: yes
15:20:40 <pili> I will close then
15:20:40 <asn> agreed
15:20:41 <sysrqb> *reprioritized
15:21:58 <sysrqb> ok, so #32542 should be moved out of s27-must
15:22:00 <pili> closing that one felt good :)
15:22:07 <sysrqb> because it won't be available until after s27
15:22:19 <sysrqb> unless asn or dgoulet can move it back into 0.4.3
15:22:34 <pili> acat: do you mind creating a ticket for that
15:22:39 <acat> sure
15:22:43 <pili> thank you :)
15:23:11 <asn> pili: i think just merging #32542 is sufficient
15:23:22 <pili> sysrqb: that might be ok as long as we have an alpha or something with it, 15th April is within the final report time
15:23:26 <asn> no need to move it out of -must i think
15:23:27 <asn> dgoulet: ^
15:23:36 <dgoulet> asn: won,t get in 043 though
15:23:49 <pili> oh, sorry, got my versions confused
15:24:00 <pili> let me check for the 0.4.4alpha dates
15:24:11 <sysrqb> we may have an alpha release by may/june
15:24:22 <sysrqb> (i assume)
15:24:26 <pili> hmm
15:25:09 <sysrqb> but...
15:25:16 <pili> I think as long as the work is done and we know when it will be released it's fine, I don't think we promised to release it with an alpha or anything :)
15:25:24 <asn> right
15:25:34 <sysrqb> ah, but, we can get it into a nightly
15:25:38 <sysrqb> so that's okay
15:25:54 <pili> yup, I think so
15:25:57 <dgoulet> error code in #32542 will be _rare_ btw
15:25:58 <sysrqb> after it's merged for 044, and we merge the tor browser changes, then we'll get a nightly with the necessary chages
15:26:10 <pili> ok
15:26:11 <dgoulet> so it is not a big loss to not have it now
15:26:38 <asn> yep
15:26:43 <sysrqb> mcs: is there a corresponding tor browser ticket for these error codes?
15:26:50 <sysrqb> or did you cinlude them in the original patch?
15:27:00 <sysrqb> (i don't remember)
15:27:02 <sysrqb> *include
15:27:09 <mcs> we are including them in the #19251 patches
15:27:19 <mcs> not out for review yet but very soon!
15:27:21 <sysrqb> ah
15:27:26 <sysrqb> okay, great
15:27:28 <sysrqb> thanks
15:27:36 <sysrqb> this should all work
15:27:50 <pili> going back to O2A1 (#30000) though, what else is left on #19757?
15:28:04 <pili> mcs: do you need a final review on your latest patches?
15:28:48 <mcs> yes, one final review b/c we made some minor changes in response to pospeselr’s latest review
15:28:58 <mcs> and thanks for the prompt reviews btw
15:29:14 <mcs> maybe sysrqb will look before he merges the code ;) ?
15:29:26 <pili> :D
15:29:32 <sysrqb> that's a reasonable plan :)
15:30:09 <sysrqb> ok, i added myself as a reviewer
15:30:15 <pili> ok, I think we can move on to O2A2 and O2A4 then
15:31:11 <pili> O2A2 (#30022) and O2A4(#30025)
15:31:57 <mcs> for O2A2 it is basically #23545 and we are working on that along with #19251 (O2A4)
15:32:12 <pili> great, that was going to be my next question
15:32:31 <mcs> in other words, we have an error page for #23545 but it is not really different than the other error pages
15:32:37 <mcs> except for text, etc.
15:32:44 <mcs> the plumbing is all common
15:33:05 <mcs> so I think we are close to done with implementation
15:33:16 <pili> right
15:34:07 <pili> ok, so let's check O2A4 then
15:35:10 <pili> I think last week we landed on attempting #13410 ?
15:36:01 <pili> I might unparent #25204 also since it's not tagged with the sponsor
15:36:29 <pospeselr> i spent the end of last week investigating how to fix this (#13410), with little luck
15:37:03 <pospeselr> if any of you browser folks know how these warning screens are initiated it'd be great if you'd let me know :)
15:37:09 <pili> pospeselr: so you think we should abandon this one? :)
15:37:14 <pospeselr> otherwise that'll be my main focus this week
15:37:29 <sysrqb> pospeselr: i've looked at it before
15:37:32 <sysrqb> i don't remember off hand
15:37:38 <pili> ok
15:37:43 <sysrqb> but we can look ater the meeting
15:38:18 <pili> any thoughts on unparenting #25204?
15:38:51 * sysrqb looks
15:39:15 <pili> #26491 I think we can ignore for now, I may even unparent also
15:39:27 <mcs> the warning screens are somewhat intertwined with other error pages; maybe look in nsDocShell.cpp for some hints
15:39:38 <mcs> or maybe you have already been there :)
15:40:11 <sysrqb> pili: i agree, unparent
15:40:13 <mcs> I am not clear on how the security/NSS code is involved vs other core browser and networking code
15:40:26 <pili> and I think #27636 was the one we decided not to tackle?
15:40:43 <pospeselr> mcs: hadn't been down that far yet but will take a look :) i was working my way down from UI strings and eventually seemingly hit a dead-end
15:41:08 <sysrqb> i think it's triggered in necko, but i need to refresh my memory
15:41:39 <pospeselr> pili: i'd intended to fix #27636 alongside #13410
15:41:50 <pili> pospeselr: ah, great, thank you!
15:41:51 <sysrqb> pili:  i think we decided on ignoring another one
15:41:55 <pospeselr> since one would assume the splash logic should be in the sam eplace
15:42:00 <pili> ok
15:42:28 <sysrqb> maybe we already unparented it
15:42:37 <pili> pospeselr: I will assign #27636 to you if you don't mind then
15:42:54 <sysrqb> it was the "don't want when the onion servce sends a certificate that is signed by the onion service key"
15:42:55 <pospeselr> works fo rme
15:44:00 <pili> sysrqb: ok
15:45:53 <pili> pospeselr: you need a reviewer for #32645, right?
15:46:06 <pili> or are you still working on it?
15:47:10 <pospeselr> yeah needs review
15:47:22 <pili> any volunteers to review? :)
15:47:32 <pili> I guess it's big enough that it needs 2?
15:47:37 <pospeselr> it is a wee patch :)
15:47:44 <pili> ok then, just one :)
15:47:57 <pili> btw, we've got about 10 minutes left...  I think next time we should start from O2A5 and work our way back... :D
15:48:00 <pospeselr> the icon changing logic is quite small, and the bulk of the diff is svgs
15:48:19 <pospeselr> the real work was building out a test matrix and figuring out what needed to go where
15:48:42 * mcs will take a look at #32645
15:50:06 <pili> thanks mcs, will add you as a reviewer
15:50:13 <mcs> great; thx
15:50:18 <pili> let's move on to O2A3: #30024
15:51:09 <asn> (brb)
15:51:23 <pili> let's start with #21952
15:51:38 <pili> acat sysrqb where are we with this one? :) should it move to needs_revision?
15:51:54 <pili> or are you looking for another reviewer?
15:53:40 <pili> I actually need to go now, so let's leave it here for now
15:53:53 <sysrqb> acat responded to my comments today, so i'll review those
15:53:54 <acat> i answered last sysrqb comment, will contact will from fb (finally) for some feedback
15:54:02 <sysrqb> ^
15:54:04 <pili> I will review the other O2A3 tickets and see where we are
15:54:19 <pili> and I think for O2A5 some people will test it out and provide feedback
15:54:36 <pili> so let's check where we are on that next week first :)
15:54:39 <sysrqb> okay, thanks for running the meeting pili o/
15:55:04 <sysrqb> that sounds like a plan
15:55:10 <pili> all right, anything else?
15:55:35 <pili> Great
15:55:41 <pili> Thanks everyone!
15:55:53 <pili> #endmeeting