18:59:07 <GeKo> #startmeeting network-health
18:59:07 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Mar 16 18:59:07 2020 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:07 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:59:19 <GeKo> let's see how many we'll be today
18:59:27 <GeKo> might be a shorter meeting :)
18:59:38 <gaba> pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-networkhealth-2020.1-keep
18:59:42 <GeKo> the pad with status updates as usual
18:59:43 <GeKo> ^
18:59:52 <GeKo> hah, gaba beat me to it, thanks :)
19:00:02 <gaba> :)
19:00:09 <GeKo> there is still time to add discussion items it seems
19:00:21 <GeKo> but nothing bold so far in the status updates
19:00:46 <GeKo> ggus: should we talk about the situation for #32672?
19:01:09 <GeKo> so, phw contacted a bunch of bridge operators
19:01:27 <ggus> GeKo: yes
19:01:28 <GeKo> which is guess covers the bridge side of things
19:01:33 <GeKo> *i guess
19:01:50 <GeKo> then dgoulet told me that the fix got merged to master
19:01:50 <ggus> this week i can only work on this issue
19:01:59 <GeKo> but let me chek that
19:02:12 <ggus> i think we need to do the social media buzz
19:02:26 <GeKo> yeah
19:02:42 <GeKo> okay, yes, it got merged
19:02:58 <GeKo> one thing i don't know yet are the plans for backporting it to older stable branches
19:03:09 <GeKo> and releases so that dir auths are picking that up
19:03:25 <GeKo> not sure if that's needed for the buzz, though
19:03:38 <GeKo> if so, we should talk to the network team folks about timelines and such
19:04:38 <GeKo> okay, the patch is not on maint-0.4.2 yet
19:04:45 <ggus> if it get merged, it's already blocking all those relays or not yet?
19:05:12 <GeKo> and not on maint-0.3.5
19:05:16 <GeKo> well, no
19:05:33 <GeKo> only when dir auths update their tor and that tor contains the patch
19:05:39 <ggus> ok
19:06:04 <GeKo> the patch is marked for backport but won't be in the  upcoming security releases
19:06:10 <GeKo> (afaict)
19:06:12 <ggus> i think if we give one week (like until next monday), it's a good deadline, so people have weekend to do this
19:06:33 <GeKo> give one week for what?
19:06:46 <ggus> before updating the dir auths?
19:06:59 <ggus> and blocking the relays?
19:07:12 <GeKo> well, the dir auths won't update that fast
19:07:29 <GeKo> as there is no new tor version coming out soonish containing the blocking code
19:07:43 <ggus> right
19:08:12 <GeKo> so, if you think we need something like "now is the time to upgrade your relays, because next week they will get kicked out of the network"
19:08:19 <GeKo> then this week is not the week :)
19:08:26 <ggus> ok
19:08:35 <GeKo> i don't know how this social media stuff works
19:08:50 <GeKo> but if folks really need a deadline like that for it to get things done
19:09:04 <gaba> the release may be a little late this time
19:09:11 <GeKo> we should coordinate with the network team for releases containing that fix
19:10:09 <GeKo> gaba: well, it depends on what we want
19:10:16 <GeKo> as we hold all the pieces in our hands :)
19:10:26 <ggus> well, my experience with CFP: people send it at the last day and at the last hour.
19:10:32 <ggus> so deadlines are good
19:11:27 <GeKo> yep
19:12:12 <GeKo> so, let's talk with the network team about deadlines, now that the fix got merged?
19:12:46 <GeKo> i guess they are flexible here
19:13:21 <GeKo> ggus: or maybe we do social media now
19:13:24 <ggus> do we want a tweet/toot this week about upgrading your relay?(i think so)
19:13:33 <GeKo> and then once the deadline is close, too?
19:13:39 <ggus> yes
19:13:47 <GeKo> sounds good
19:14:10 <GeKo> we can say now, that the fix got merged (please upgrade)
19:14:34 <GeKo> and then later a reminder that the thing is about to get deployed and shit is getting real :)
19:14:38 <GeKo> works for me
19:14:51 <GeKo> i guess we should talk to steph about that?
19:14:59 <ggus> yes, i can do that
19:15:01 <GeKo> ggus: would you coordinate all this?
19:15:13 <ggus> read my mind :P
19:15:19 <GeKo> hehe :)
19:15:28 <GeKo> okay, great, we have a plan
19:15:48 <GeKo> and i can talk to ping network-team folks thinking about when to have the actual backports
19:15:57 <GeKo> s/talk to//
19:16:13 <GeKo> (in the sense that they manifest in releases)
19:17:11 <GeKo> okay, do we have anything else we should talk about today?
19:17:57 <GeKo> silence :)
19:18:17 <ggus> i also have the tor association form ready, but since iff, cryptorave and all my workshops were cancelled
19:18:17 <GeKo> thanks then everyone, have a nice week and stay safe there outside
19:18:28 <GeKo> aha
19:18:28 <ggus> i'm running in emergency mode
19:18:42 <ggus> so we don't need to discuss this now
19:18:44 <GeKo> yeah
19:19:05 <GeKo> ack. whenever you think it's worthwile, just put it on the agenda
19:19:10 <GeKo> but thanks for the update
19:19:59 <GeKo> okay, but now, as i said above, a nice and safe week everyone o/
19:20:01 <GeKo> #endmeeting