18:16:29 <gaba> #startmeeting s58 May 11th
18:16:29 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon May 11 18:16:29 2020 UTC.  The chair is gaba. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:16:29 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:16:40 <sysrqb> hello everyone
18:16:44 <antonela> hi folks
18:16:47 <gaba> hi
18:16:50 <acat> hi
18:17:13 <gaba> what did you all worked on last week?
18:17:35 <sysrqb> hrm.
18:17:42 <sysrqb> should we go one-by-one?
18:17:51 <gaba> sure
18:17:59 <sysrqb> previously we used the meeting pad for describing what we did
18:18:01 <gaba> say if you are blockecd by anything too
18:18:05 <GeKo> hi!
18:18:11 <gaba> yes, let's add it in the pad
18:18:30 <antonela> next time we can do the status in the pad (i don't even have tasks yet, but i think it works)
18:18:43 <gaba> yes
18:18:51 <antonela> do/write _before_ the meeting
18:18:54 <gaba> pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/_kbebKhZvNcUuqxQL5NV
18:18:54 <ahf> one by one on irc or on pad?
18:18:59 <gaba> pad please
18:20:17 <antonela> gaba: i added an item to the agenda
18:20:25 <gaba> yes, thanks
18:20:32 <gaba> feel free to add any other item to the agenda
18:20:50 <gaba> i'm going to move the agenda to the top of statuses
18:21:10 <antonela> perfect
18:21:18 <ahf> GeKo: i am interested in the toolchain stuff this week. maybe it makes sense for me to dive into a review there? maybe together with somebody else? maybe i can do it alone?
18:22:18 <ahf> ok many tickets
18:22:44 <GeKo> whatever works for you
18:22:56 <GeKo> i can help you navigating things if questions arise
18:23:52 <ahf> it seems like it's a lot of smaller patches that are all needed to move on?
18:24:07 <GeKo> yes
18:24:23 <GeKo> #33626 and #33973 are the larger and more complicated ones
18:24:35 <ahf> yeah, i'm looking at #33626 right now
18:24:47 <GeKo> because that's building mozilla-beta essentially
18:24:55 <ahf> fat in this context is because it supports multiple architectures?
18:25:19 <GeKo> yes
18:25:25 <GeKo> you get all the archs in one .aar
18:25:36 <ahf> ok, if everybody else thinks that is a wise use of my time, i think that would be interesting
18:26:22 <sysrqb> ahf: for reviewing GeKo's patch?
18:26:26 <ahf> yes
18:26:29 <ahf> patches
18:26:39 <gaba> sounds good
18:26:49 <sysrqb> yes, that's a good use of your time
18:26:50 <sysrqb> thanks
18:27:03 <ahf> ok, i'm gonna begin with that tomorrow morning, and try out the things GeKo has been doing as well
18:27:27 <sysrqb> have you successfully run tor-browser-build?
18:27:31 <sysrqb> or only compiling fenix?
18:28:18 <ahf> only the latter. i have build tor-browser reproducible two weeks ago and the yolo method where you build for your own arch and copy over the firefox directory into an already extracted "installation"
18:28:25 <ahf> i don't know if you have a name for the last thing
18:28:49 <ahf> like where i *just* build for linux, copy over the Browser dir, then get the PT's and Tor, etc. from the extracted zip file which contained a complete TB build
18:29:01 <sysrqb> okay, we can discuss this after the meeting
18:29:07 <sysrqb> that's a good start
18:29:10 <ahf> *nods*
18:29:28 <GeKo> okay, i think i have all my s58 things added
18:29:37 <GeKo> now let's look what ther other folks have done
18:30:30 <sysrqb> mikeperry: are you spending some of your time on networking work?
18:30:39 <sysrqb> i thought that was beginning until later in the year
18:30:47 <sysrqb> *wasn't
18:31:01 <GeKo> okay, i caught up on the pad
18:31:29 <mikeperry> I am spending a fair amount of time answering mails on network proposals and such still, yeah
18:31:47 <mikeperry> particularly HS DoS, FlashFlow, and Congestion Control
18:31:53 <mikeperry> I think it is most wrapping up
18:32:12 <mikeperry> my big issue is I am not sure which components of Fenix to audit and how
18:32:19 <mikeperry> because it is a monster of like 40 git treees
18:32:30 <GeKo> mikeperry: a good start is mozilla-beta doing the usual things
18:32:52 <GeKo> and then again we need to decided something on #33939
18:33:06 <GeKo> and depending on how that decision goes
18:33:13 <GeKo> there is more or less to audit :)
18:33:17 <mikeperry> wait what is mozilla-beta? is that separate from mozilla-central?
18:33:26 <GeKo> it's mozilla-central
18:33:39 <GeKo> which moved to beta in a stabilized form
18:34:14 <GeKo> like firefox 77 moved recently from mozilla-central to beta
18:34:26 <GeKo> and will be the next release on mozilla-release
18:34:34 <GeKo> we have to start somewhere
18:34:38 <sysrqb> mikeperry: have you looked at this yet? https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1620045
18:36:11 <mikeperry> I've seen that before but niot dug deeply into it.. the rust pieces are just one part of the puzzle
18:36:20 <sysrqb> sure
18:37:10 <mikeperry> GeKo: so you recommend starting with https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev and doing the diff of esr68 to that beta branch, and checking that, for proxy issues, as per usual?
18:37:23 <GeKo> yes
18:37:24 <mikeperry> and doig that to start, while we figure more about what we want to actually build into fenix?
18:37:29 <GeKo> yes
18:37:39 <mikeperry> ok makes sense. that I can do
18:37:41 <GeKo> it will be the largest part of the proxy bypass audit, too
18:37:54 <GeKo> and likely the most important one as well
18:38:13 <GeKo> we could start from mozilla-release for now, too
18:38:17 <mikeperry> well last time we found a ton of issues in the android java API usage :/
18:38:26 <GeKo> true
18:38:27 <mikeperry> I am worried about that with this huge pile of disparate components
18:39:11 <sysrqb> sure, but we're not at the point where we can audit it yet
18:39:16 <mikeperry> is there any android java stuff built from gecko-dev at all now for fenix?
18:39:23 <mikeperry> or is all the android stuff in these outside repos
18:40:09 <GeKo> there is stuff left
18:40:21 <GeKo> but not "much"
18:40:23 <GeKo> :)
18:40:56 <sysrqb> but starting with the core is a good start
18:41:16 <sysrqb> and we can move into upper-layers as we decide which peices we're integrating
18:41:17 <mikeperry> ok
18:41:52 <mikeperry> so this beta branch no longer has old fennec stuff? or is it still actually there just disabled?
18:42:02 <sysrqb> it was deleted
18:42:11 <mikeperry> ok that is easier then
18:42:16 <GeKo> yeah
18:42:27 <sysrqb> now only geckoview (the java/kotlin wrapper of gecko)
18:42:37 <GeKo> but there is still sketchy stuff in the tree
18:42:45 <GeKo> like thirdparty exoplayer2
18:44:32 <sysrqb> but, as GeKo mentioned last week
18:44:49 <sysrqb> swe should be involved on that bugzilla ticket
18:45:17 <sysrqb> otherwise rust will remain an open problem
18:45:34 <sysrqb> if we can reduce the risk of proxy-bypass via rust, then that is a solid improvement
18:46:26 <gaba> so mikeperry: you are fine with what you have to done this week, right?
18:46:29 <sysrqb> okay, 13 minutes remaining before the hour.
18:46:32 <gaba> can we take a look at what antonela is asking
18:46:35 <gaba> about ux-team tickets
18:46:46 <antonela> maybe is not urgent?
18:46:50 <antonela> yes, i lost track of what is the scope for this grant so i did the naive query and things there seems ok
18:47:02 <antonela> it is mostly remaining work from last mobile grant but I will need to review the old UI and how it matches with the current fenix experience
18:47:18 <gaba> antonela: we can look at it at the end of may for what I see.
18:47:20 <GeKo> looking at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?cc=~&keywords=~ux-team&sponsor=Sponsor58&col=id&col=summary&col=owner&col=type&col=status&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority
18:47:33 <antonela> ye
18:47:39 <antonela> gaba: sounds good for me
18:47:46 <GeKo> i am not sure whether we'll have a chance to get to any of that
18:47:51 <antonela> haha
18:47:52 <antonela> ok
18:47:54 <GeKo> maybe?
18:48:09 <antonela> so is easier if we remove the ux-team tag from tickets that we are *not* going to work with
18:48:21 <antonela> so i can estimate real work
18:49:35 <GeKo> it seems to me it's too early to commit to any of those tickets
18:50:00 <antonela> ok
18:50:01 <gaba> let's look again at the end of may or beginning of june. Antonela: you are right now with hands full on s30, right?
18:50:11 <antonela> among other things and fires
18:50:12 <antonela> yes
18:50:21 <gaba> ok
18:50:38 <antonela> okey, so we will review it at the end of next month
18:50:44 <antonela> and i am not needed on this meeting
18:50:48 <antonela> am i right?
18:50:50 <gaba> acat is asking about #27105
18:50:58 <gaba> right, not yet :)
18:51:11 <GeKo> antonela: #34178
18:51:16 <sysrqb> antonela: we'll need to talk about #33658
18:51:23 <GeKo> is the first we need to solved
18:51:32 <GeKo> *solve
18:51:34 <sysrqb> yeah, and then O2.2 :)
18:51:40 <GeKo> after we did #33658
18:51:43 <GeKo> :)
18:52:07 <antonela> why i dont have those tickets in my query?
18:52:12 <GeKo> i'd already be happy if we'd just get those two done by september
18:52:17 <gaba> they are marked as ux-team
18:52:17 <antonela> ohhh because sponsor is not sponsor58
18:52:29 <antonela> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?cc=~&keywords=~ux-team&sponsor=%5ESponsor58&col=id&col=summary&col=owner&col=type&col=status&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority
18:52:31 <antonela> so here we are
18:52:32 <antonela> i see
18:52:37 <gaba> ahh, I see
18:52:51 <gaba> i want to use s58-must for the things that must be in this project
18:53:09 <GeKo> i think it's not unreasonable to assume we have some idea for #33658 by the end of this month
18:53:23 <antonela> okey, that changes everything
18:53:41 <antonela> so #33658 is prior and then #34178?
18:53:52 <antonela> seems like it..
18:54:27 <GeKo> acat: so what needs still to get fixed?
18:54:36 <GeKo> for #27105
18:54:42 <antonela> GeKo: but all the child tickets of #33658 are the tickets you just told me that will be difficult to achieve
18:55:07 <GeKo> i don't know who made them child tickets
18:55:10 <GeKo> :)
18:55:14 <gaba> and #30832 is one of acat's ticket and is the only one that is missing a reviewer
18:55:41 <GeKo> antonela: i think that is wrongg
18:55:51 <GeKo> among other tickets that don't belong to s58
18:56:02 <antonela> GeKo: ok, lets try again next week. The expectations are me working on S30 this month, so maybe discuss it in june?
18:56:23 <gaba> antonela: I'm trying to keep this one up to date: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor58
18:56:45 <acat> GeKo: for #27105 i only fixed the preferences test and bumped some deps to get it working with 77
18:56:46 <gaba> must 58 tickets in each obj
18:57:02 <antonela> gaba: ok
18:57:05 <acat> but there are several tests failing
18:57:25 <GeKo> antonela: to be fair #25764 is not a child of that one, so it's not all of them :)
18:57:41 <GeKo> acat: do you use try for that?
18:58:22 <acat> GeKo: but this is the tor-browser-bundle-testsuite, not sure if try can be used for that
18:58:38 <acat> for unit tests, i did #30832
18:59:04 <sysrqb> okay, we're at the hour.
18:59:12 <sysrqb> acat, GeKo: should we dicuss in tor-dev?
18:59:18 <GeKo> acat: i see
18:59:41 <gaba> ok
18:59:48 <acat> i did not try to run the tests in #30832 in mozilla infra either
18:59:51 <gaba> please take ownership of tickets you are working on
19:00:07 <gaba> i'm going to close the meeting and discussion continues in tor-dev, ok?
19:00:12 <sysrqb> yes
19:00:13 <acat> good
19:00:13 <ahf> GeKo: tomorrow i will start setting myself as reviewer on some of your tickets?
19:00:15 <sysrqb> thanks gaba
19:00:19 <sysrqb> thanks everyone
19:00:20 <antonela> thanks gaba
19:00:22 <ahf> thanks all o/
19:00:25 <GeKo> ahf: fine with me
19:00:25 <gaba> #endmeeting