16:02:02 <antonela> #startmeeting S58 ux-tbb tickets triage
16:02:02 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jun  9 16:02:02 2020 UTC.  The chair is antonela. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:02:02 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:02:06 <antonela> cool
16:02:11 <antonela> so we have this page and this query
16:02:13 * sysrqb context switches
16:02:18 <antonela> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor58
16:02:26 <antonela> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/33658
16:02:50 <antonela> nothing appears under O2.1 because we dont have must tickets _yet_
16:02:56 <sysrqb> yep
16:03:01 <sysrqb> i guess we're done :)
16:03:05 <antonela> i'd like to discuss with you which tickets do you think can have development hours so we focus on them
16:03:07 <antonela> hahaha
16:03:10 * antonela close it
16:03:16 <sysrqb> o/
16:03:17 <antonela> so
16:03:20 <sysrqb> :)
16:03:24 <antonela> im looking at firefox preview
16:03:28 <sysrqb> si
16:03:30 <antonela> first of all, am right? is that fenix?
16:03:31 <antonela> cool
16:03:38 <antonela> some interesting things, some other no interesting things
16:03:50 <sysrqb> k
16:03:55 * antonela hiro knows i was a believer of the url bar at the bottom
16:04:10 <antonela> i wonder what of all this we will get with fenix
16:04:16 <antonela> i feel some of this things are custom
16:05:02 <antonela> if i need to pick major pair features with desktop, i'd say: circuit display, security settings, url bar indicators and well, if we can, onion-location
16:05:04 <sysrqb> i think we should assume the UI/UX we see now is what we will get
16:05:10 <antonela> nice
16:05:17 <sysrqb> for enix -> Firefox for Android
16:05:20 <sysrqb> err
16:05:24 <sysrqb> *fenix
16:05:31 <antonela> we can customize the first screen which is intended as an onboarding
16:05:44 <antonela> wait is Firefox Preview or Firefox for Android
16:06:16 <sysrqb> Fenix is Firefox Preview
16:06:19 <antonela> right
16:06:26 <sysrqb> and it will replace fennec as Firefox for Android
16:06:33 <antonela> right perfect
16:06:47 <sysrqb> so, they will re-brand fenix
16:07:05 <sysrqb> i think we should have two stages of development
16:07:16 <sysrqb> 1) feature parity with the current TBA
16:07:22 <sysrqb> 2) feature parity with current desktop
16:07:29 <antonela> ideally, yes
16:07:34 <sysrqb> i don't think we can finish (2) before september
16:07:44 <sysrqb> but we should, at least, finish (1)
16:07:46 <antonela> if you finish 1 before september i close the kiosco here
16:07:54 <sysrqb> :)
16:07:56 <sysrqb> yeah
16:08:02 <antonela> okey amazing
16:08:34 <antonela> in terms of ui, i can work on matching the experience for doorhangers
16:08:42 <antonela> fenix doesnt have doorhangers but second views
16:08:48 <antonela> (is that the component name, i dont remember)
16:09:01 <antonela> but an entire take over of the screen with the overlap background
16:09:11 <antonela> which makes everything simpler and clean
16:09:54 <antonela> https://material.io/components/sheets-bottom
16:09:59 <antonela> this is the component
16:10:18 <sysrqb> mmm yeah
16:10:56 <sysrqb> should i start by creating tickets for each feature we have in TBA now
16:11:17 <antonela> maybe?
16:11:18 <sysrqb> so we can implement design/implement them in Fenix?
16:11:27 <antonela> that sounds good for me
16:11:31 <antonela> if is useful for you
16:11:39 <antonela> we are in a middle of a migration
16:11:47 <antonela> so if you want to go to gitlab for it, im happy too
16:11:51 <sysrqb> if you know an easier way of tracking this, then we can use that
16:12:05 <antonela> nono is better if you create tickets so you can scope your work too
16:12:25 <sysrqb> okay
16:12:34 <sysrqb> i'll start with that
16:13:12 <sysrqb> on a slightly different topic, i was looking at the current fenix UI
16:13:30 <sysrqb> and in the Settings is has "Data Collection"
16:13:52 <sysrqb> i think we can delete/hide that and replace it with something else
16:14:12 <sysrqb> (and we set all the data collection to disabled)
16:14:20 <sysrqb> i'll create a ticket for that, too
16:14:33 <sysrqb> did you see any other features/components we should change?
16:14:54 <antonela> as we are listing them, in terms of features is: circuit display, url bar indicators (for onions, mostly), security settings and onboarding/initial screen
16:15:00 <antonela> then menues
16:15:36 <antonela> yes, if we have a ticket to review menues we can take a look at all them
16:15:53 <sysrqb> yeah. okay, i'll create that
16:16:01 <antonela> i feel some of this things will get disabled under mike's autopsy
16:16:02 <antonela> lol
16:16:05 <antonela> but im not sure
16:16:07 <antonela> anyways, yes
16:16:26 <antonela> then the recurrent question, private tabs
16:16:48 <sysrqb> fenix has an option for that, already
16:16:55 <antonela> nice
16:16:58 <antonela> yes
16:17:02 <sysrqb> and allows creating an icon for opening private tabs from the homescreen
16:17:06 <antonela> ye i saw it
16:17:12 <sysrqb> so, i think we can use that as the default
16:17:12 <antonela> weird, but i understand the intent
16:17:16 <antonela> exactly
16:17:19 <sysrqb> :)
16:17:22 <antonela> we can use private tabs as default
16:17:42 <antonela> oki, we have then covered most paired features
16:17:44 <antonela> now the wishes?
16:18:47 <sysrqb> yeah. we can talk about s30 bootstrapping, too
16:18:53 <antonela> right
16:18:59 * antonela sysrqb reading minds
16:19:00 <antonela> so
16:19:01 <sysrqb> but that could be too soon
16:19:41 <antonela> i think we are in a good shape to iterate our last version of boostrapping
16:19:57 <antonela> but we will need network settings in fenix as well
16:20:14 <antonela> even if we remove a loading screen, we need a way for users to config bridges
16:20:33 <sysrqb> yes
16:21:51 <sysrqb> i think we can play with some ideas
16:22:05 <antonela> for the _after september_ version, maybe snowflake becomes stable and we can ship it in android as well, and we can match tba with the "anti-censorship focused" desktop release
16:22:27 <sysrqb> yep
16:23:41 <antonela> so we will need a Network Settings ticket as well
16:23:41 <sysrqb> we might ship snowflake in the Fenix TBA in september
16:23:54 <antonela> that'd be nice
16:24:05 <sysrqb> but we'll know in a couple months if it's ready
16:24:28 <antonela> right
16:24:41 <antonela> i have a to-do item for this month to call for testing
16:24:51 <antonela> but we have this issue about people downloading alphas :/
16:25:09 <antonela> do you think we can improve that process by providing ephimerous builds to people for testing?
16:25:25 <antonela> something like what testflight is for ios dev
16:25:37 <sysrqb> we'll need a ticket for network settings and security slider
16:25:38 <sysrqb> hmm
16:25:56 <sysrqb> will nightly builds be good enough?
16:26:00 <sysrqb> or something different?
16:26:17 <sysrqb> like distributing in Google Play?
16:26:24 <sysrqb> and/or f-droid?
16:26:28 <antonela> i mean
16:26:36 <antonela> i dont want to call for testing and ask people to download an alpha
16:26:46 <antonela> and then the alpha keeps installed out-dated in those devices
16:27:11 <antonela> because multiple things but mostly because is not the stable release
16:27:35 <antonela> i mean, we can do it, but we got this issue the last time where a lot of people keep updating the alpha and not stable
16:27:46 <antonela> maybe there is a better workflow with the testing poll there
16:28:03 <antonela> like https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/3131213?hl=en
16:28:22 <sysrqb> google play provides a way of providing...yeah, exactly
16:28:30 <sysrqb> we have it now, but i don't use it often
16:28:40 <sysrqb> was have some testers for both stable and alpha
16:28:45 <sysrqb> and we can use it more often
16:28:46 <antonela> do you have any feelings on it?
16:29:02 <antonela> is nice if we start to using that workflow
16:29:18 <antonela> at least we have a controlled way to release unstable apk
16:29:20 <antonela> even between us
16:29:32 <sysrqb> yeah
16:29:51 <sysrqb> we can begin using it more
16:30:04 <antonela> is something good for the dev workflow?
16:30:44 <sysrqb> i think it's too many moving pieces for dev workflow
16:30:49 <antonela> like im asking for a pity thing
16:30:50 <antonela> haha
16:30:53 <antonela> right that is my question
16:31:04 <sysrqb> but it is good for receiving feedback on current implementations
16:31:09 <antonela> if it makes everything more complicated then we can figure out another thing
16:31:19 <antonela> but if it is a proper way to do it, maybe we can do the effort
16:31:43 <sysrqb> yeah. for example, i wouldn't use it for testing a new feature i implemented
16:31:52 <sysrqb> but if i want feedback from 5 different people
16:31:57 <antonela> but for external feedback
16:31:59 <sysrqb> then i could upload the new version there and ask
16:31:59 <antonela> right
16:32:02 <sysrqb> si
16:32:12 <antonela> well that is exactly the scenario
16:32:20 <antonela> oki, so next steps
16:32:25 <antonela> you will open tickets (thanks)
16:32:31 <sysrqb> yes
16:32:32 <antonela> i will start to work on them
16:32:35 <sysrqb> yes
16:32:39 <sysrqb> (thanks)
16:33:11 <antonela> and then i think the most tricky one is menues
16:33:21 <antonela> but i'm happy to back to work with material design for the UI :)
16:33:29 <sysrqb> hehe
16:33:44 <sysrqb> should we have another meeting in...2 weeks ?
16:33:54 <antonela> ye, is good
16:33:55 <sysrqb> see where we are?
16:34:01 <antonela> sure thing
16:34:09 <sysrqb> great
16:34:19 <antonela> thanks dude
16:34:20 <antonela> <3
16:34:24 <sysrqb> thank you!
16:34:28 <antonela> #endmeeting