16:01:02 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Fenix UI Sync
16:01:02 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Aug  4 16:01:02 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:01:02 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:01:23 <antonela> :)
16:01:28 * sysrqb doesn't remember what we called this meeting previously
16:01:36 <antonela> how are you? i saw geko's comments on some tba tickets
16:01:43 <antonela> wanted to go over them this week
16:01:56 <sysrqb> that sounds good to me
16:02:19 <antonela> my plans for august is finish my UI side of things, so then we can leave some time aside for reviewing the implementation
16:02:46 <antonela> given the funding issues, im not sure if we should stop with this? or continue? i think we will learn more tomorrow
16:03:00 <sysrqb> i began working on changes for https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34407 and https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34403
16:03:22 <antonela> in any case, my part is close to be done so i will finish and save it for when the implementation happens
16:03:23 <antonela> very nice
16:03:44 <antonela> how is your plan with those? do we have a timeline for minor releases?
16:04:05 <antonela> can we have iterations between point releases?
16:04:45 <sysrqb> i would like a test build by the end of this week including those issues
16:05:06 <sysrqb> we likely won't have an official nightly build available until mid-august
16:05:48 <antonela> seems good to me
16:05:54 <antonela> test builds are also useful
16:05:56 <sysrqb> ahf and i discussed creating an f-droid repo for nightly fenix builds
16:06:07 <sysrqb> and i think we can get that easily
16:06:24 <sysrqb> the configuration is much simpler than i expected
16:06:25 <antonela> did you have time to check the store release flow?
16:06:26 <antonela> oh very nice
16:06:38 <antonela> that makes things easier
16:06:53 <sysrqb> yes, i looked at the google play release flow
16:07:14 <sysrqb> i thinki can begin using that later this month
16:07:52 <antonela> oh cool
16:08:06 <antonela> im excited to learn how we can manage the pool of users there
16:08:17 <antonela> if is by invite or how, but im happy to learn
16:08:34 <sysrqb> there are three groups
16:08:48 <sysrqb> "internal", "alpha", and "beta" test groups
16:09:11 <antonela> what is the difference between internal and beta?
16:09:14 <sysrqb> if i remember correctly, internal and alpha require invites, and beta is opt-in without needing aninvitiation
16:09:22 <antonela> beautiful
16:09:43 <antonela> that sounds exciting :)
16:09:56 <sysrqb> i believe "internal" is for a very small test group (an internal team)
16:10:04 <antonela> right
16:10:10 <sysrqb> and alpha is for when you want to expand outside that group
16:10:20 <sysrqb> so, i think there is no difference, except whatever we want
16:10:48 <antonela> perfect, we just need to pick a workflow and attach to it :)
16:10:52 <antonela> is good
16:11:04 <sysrqb> https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/3131213?hl=en
16:11:14 <antonela> for the nightly in august, what do you plan to achieve?
16:11:44 <sysrqb> i guess they renamed them as "internal", "closed", and "open"
16:11:46 <antonela> enlightening
16:11:56 <sysrqb> :)
16:12:21 <antonela> how this get connected with the f-droid flow?
16:12:22 <sysrqb> i'm hoping for quick feedback
16:12:23 <antonela> what im missing?
16:12:49 <sysrqb> i think there are different audiences for f-droid and google play
16:12:55 <antonela> nono, i mean
16:13:15 <antonela> you have the nightly automagic build in f-droid
16:13:23 <sysrqb> si
16:14:00 <antonela> then you hand pick a build to publish in gplay and we run the testing flow
16:14:25 <antonela> is it the workflow?
16:15:07 <sysrqb> for google play, we'll need official alpha builds
16:15:18 <sysrqb> because it will install over the current tor browser app
16:15:57 <antonela> i see
16:16:24 <sysrqb> so, we will need to go through the usual release process for that
16:16:38 <sysrqb> we're planning desktop alpha releases every two weeks until the end of september
16:17:09 <antonela> that is why the other options are interesting, because they become obsolete after certain time and you cannot open it anymore (preventing us from insecure installings)
16:17:11 <sysrqb> so when the android build is ready for testing, we may include fenix as part of that process
16:17:18 <antonela> oh good to know
16:17:45 <antonela> i wish to learn if we have a list of what is going to be included in each alpha, i think we dont have it now
16:18:11 <sysrqb> on desktop or android or both? :)
16:18:34 <antonela> i wish both
16:18:36 <antonela> :)
16:19:00 <antonela> dont know, maybe it helps for estimations
16:19:23 <antonela> anyways, i can discuss it with gaba when she is back from vacs
16:20:09 <sysrqb> i think we can try creating a list for the next one or two alpha releases
16:20:23 <sysrqb> planning into the future more than that is difficult
16:21:03 <sysrqb> but i think we can create a short-term roadmap
16:21:07 <antonela> yep, good idea
16:21:24 <antonela> maybe during the next release meeting?
16:21:48 <sysrqb> yes, we can discuss it
16:21:55 <sysrqb> in 1.5 hours
16:23:25 <antonela> do you want us to start a draft
16:23:32 <antonela> and then we just discuss the draft?
16:23:36 <antonela> i mean, i can help
16:24:29 <sysrqb> i need input from GeKo and acat
16:24:46 <sysrqb> they have a better understanding of the desktop status than I do
16:25:24 <antonela> right, better to plan all together then
16:25:27 <antonela> oki
16:25:32 <antonela> i dont have too much else for today
16:25:39 <antonela> happy to see your progress :)
16:26:54 <sysrqb> yes, soon (i hope) :)
16:26:57 <sysrqb> i wonder about https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34405
16:27:02 <antonela> yes
16:27:18 <sysrqb> we should make a decision about what we are doing
16:27:23 <sysrqb> for s58
16:27:25 <antonela> right
16:28:08 <sysrqb> i really really really want to implement https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/29590
16:28:09 <antonela> do you prefer to keep our current flow?
16:28:18 <sysrqb> no.
16:28:41 <sysrqb> but i am very concerned about the amount of time we have before we must consider this "stable"
16:28:50 <antonela> right
16:29:10 <antonela> i wonder if we can connect directly and show a net settings screen to boostrap with bridges of needed
16:29:25 <antonela> *if
16:30:32 <sysrqb> hrmmmmm
16:31:07 <sysrqb> i worry that is different behavior from the current version
16:31:23 <sysrqb> and maybe it is surprising for some people
16:31:41 <sysrqb> but
16:32:10 <antonela> could be, we can explain / ask for consent at the first use? not sure tho
16:32:14 <sysrqb> if the app is upgraded from fennec to fenix, then the app should continue using the configured bridges
16:32:43 <sysrqb> but, we know many users uninstall the app, and then reinstall later
16:32:56 <sysrqb> so we shouldn't assume the app remembers the correct configuration
16:33:13 <sysrqb> yeah, maybe we promot at the first run
16:33:25 <sysrqb> and we save a preference for automatically connecting
16:33:38 <antonela> using configured bridges seems smart just if those bridges still actually available/work
16:33:57 <sysrqb> yeah
16:34:02 <antonela> okey, i like it as an intermediate step
16:34:22 <antonela> lets say we launch 10
16:34:24 <antonela> ay
16:34:39 <antonela> 10.0 with a first run check
16:34:40 <antonela> and 10
16:34:59 <antonela> and for 10.5 it will connect directly
16:35:18 <antonela> (my mechanical numbers keyboard is tricky :)
16:35:28 <sysrqb> :D
16:36:04 <antonela> for 10.5 we can have an small reachability test in place (i hope)
16:36:45 <antonela> which we probably want to deploy tentatively in 10.0 so we can see if it actually works
16:37:42 <sysrqb> yeah, we can think about that
16:37:48 <sysrqb> so https://marvelapp.com/prototype/783fhfb/screen/70989413
16:37:56 <sysrqb> that screen shows at first-run
16:38:13 <sysrqb> and has an option for automatically connecting in the future, yes?
16:38:38 <sysrqb> and https://marvelapp.com/prototype/783fhfb/screen/70989412
16:38:52 <sysrqb> we show this screen while tor bootstraps?
16:39:19 <sysrqb> where should we show progress? in the url bar?
16:40:00 <sysrqb> if you don't know yet, then you have some time
16:40:26 <sysrqb> i won't begin working on this until end of next week, at the easliest
16:40:46 <sysrqb> :)
16:42:26 <antonela> so, the current fenix has a gradient kind of progress bar for loading
16:42:41 <antonela> i was thinking we can use it for boostrapping + disable the url bar
16:42:49 <sysrqb> yep
16:42:55 <sysrqb> me too
16:43:16 <antonela> we can have a less pink but more blue-green gradient
16:43:18 <antonela> this is a detail
16:43:32 <antonela> i'll update that ticket with this intermediate step we've been discussing
16:43:46 <sysrqb> excellent
16:43:54 <sysrqb> this sounds good to me
16:43:58 <antonela> i think we can have an opt-in automatic connection on first timers and then we can re arrange that first screen
16:44:05 <antonela> super
16:44:14 <sysrqb> yep
16:44:18 <antonela> and it sets some steps for desktop as well :)
16:44:32 <sysrqb> yep )
16:44:35 <sysrqb> :)
16:45:20 <sysrqb> okay, i think that is all i wanted to talk about today
16:45:34 <sysrqb> anything you want to discuss?
16:47:09 <antonela> no, i think this is progress :)
16:47:12 <antonela> thank you!!!
16:47:30 <sysrqb> great. thanks!
16:47:33 <sysrqb> :)
16:47:39 <sysrqb> i'll close this meeting
16:47:45 <sysrqb> #endmeeting