18:01:00 <gaba> #startmeeting Tor Browser August 17th 2020
18:01:00 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Aug 17 18:01:00 2020 UTC.  The chair is gaba. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:01:00 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:01:03 <gaba> pad in http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep
18:01:57 <gaba> how everything has been so far? There are stuff in the agenda that I have no idea if people already talked about last week.
18:03:14 <GeKo> i think we are done with those items
18:03:27 <GeKo> we could probably chat about the alpha release
18:03:40 <GeKo> but that might not be worth an own discussion point
18:05:15 <gaba> do people have anything else for the agenda? I'm back today and still need to check on how everything is going...
18:05:39 <GeKo> gaba: we should somehow clean up our milestone(s)
18:05:52 <GeKo> to be sure about what we still have on our agenda
18:05:59 <GeKo> and what we want to postpone
18:06:18 <GeKo> i guess it won't be boring if we would not do that
18:06:35 <GeKo> but doing so would have the benefit of us not missing things
18:07:38 <gaba> yes
18:07:58 <gaba> Are people keeping the board update on what you are working on? There is nothing related to the milestone there
18:08:02 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards/123
18:09:20 <sysrqb> is that possible? can a board show milestones?
18:10:28 <gaba> you can filter by milestone
18:10:55 <sysrqb> ah, i see
18:10:57 <sysrqb> thanks
18:11:19 <sysrqb> we have Tor Browser 10 issues
18:11:21 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&milestone_title=Tor%20Browser%3A%2010.0
18:11:34 <sysrqb> but none for Sponsor 58
18:11:52 <GeKo> gaba: and we should move the non-parent tickets tagged with s58 over to 10.0, no?
18:12:32 <GeKo> sysrqb: that's okay, if all the issues have been  move to 10.0
18:12:35 <GeKo> *moved
18:12:53 <sysrqb> yes, but i would expect seeing some issues for Sponsor 58 milestone, too
18:13:19 <sysrqb> maybe the board issues are filtered already and exclude the parent tickets?
18:14:06 <sysrqb> (I don't know how the "Developmenet" board is different from:
18:14:07 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards
18:14:12 <sysrqb> maybe they aren't different?
18:15:37 <gaba> we only have 1 board
18:15:52 <gaba> not sure why we do not see the s58 milestone there
18:16:56 <gaba> anyway, I will take a look at it this week. Next week we will be doing the s58 monthly report and with that I will figure out what is missing
18:17:50 <sysrqb> okay
18:18:45 <sysrqb> having the milestones show us how close we are to completion will be helpful
18:18:46 <gaba> are those 5 tickets what you are working on sysrqb? https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards/123?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_username=sysrqb
18:18:50 <gaba> yes
18:18:51 <gaba> we need it
18:19:11 <sysrqb> gaba: yes
18:19:16 <sysrqb> those are the tickets
18:20:19 <sysrqb> (and now i added two more)
18:21:57 <gaba> mmm, are people closing tickets when they are done?
18:22:00 <gaba> is https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-bundle-testsuite/-/issues/27105 done?
18:22:14 <GeKo> gaba: no it is not
18:22:29 <GeKo> i finally plan to review it this week
18:22:43 <GeKo> i think tickets get closed, yes
18:23:05 <GeKo> at least i try to keep an overview of those and close them where needed
18:23:19 <gaba> what makes you think that this milestone does not have everything? https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/11
18:24:04 <GeKo> you mean sysrqb?
18:24:28 <gaba> yes
18:24:29 <gaba> and you
18:25:09 <GeKo> i have not looked. what i meant is we need to go over the milestones to kick things out
18:25:11 <GeKo> :)
18:25:13 <gaba> ahh
18:25:15 <gaba> haha
18:25:16 <gaba> ok
18:25:17 <GeKo> because we might not get to it
18:25:25 <gaba> yes
18:25:31 <GeKo> or it's actually not that important
18:25:58 <gaba> we need estimations on tickets to figure out if we can make it
18:26:06 <GeKo> to get a better understanding of what we really must do and how much time we expect this will cost us
18:26:10 <GeKo> that, too
18:26:19 <GeKo> but if we already know we won't do a task anyway
18:26:32 <GeKo> then there is no need for now to estimate time
18:27:00 <gaba> ok. For that I think we should be based on https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33664
18:27:15 <gaba> go objective by objective and see what is that we are wrapping up
18:27:27 <gaba> antonela: how are you going with 2.1 ?
18:27:43 <GeKo> we could do that as a start, yes
18:27:44 <gaba> all the stuff from 33664 is in the milestone
18:28:55 <gaba> do you all want to do this now? we can go objective by objective
18:28:59 <antonela> we made some progress on the tba UI, discussed menu items, right now we are reviewing our bootstrapping flow to take s30 in account (and consolidate a proposal that also can reach desktop)
18:29:22 <antonela> me or GeKo? we can yes :)
18:30:00 <sysrqb> we can discuss this now if there aren't any other topcis we should cover first
18:31:04 <sysrqb> i don't see any other topics, so we can start going through the objectives
18:31:32 <gaba> ok
18:31:49 <gaba> For 01.1 I had the idea from the July's report that we were done with it.
18:31:52 <gaba> What is missing?
18:31:57 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33654
18:32:47 <sysrqb> we didn't finish, but it was mostly done
18:33:08 <sysrqb> acat worked on it, but i believe the reviews are not complete, correct?
18:33:38 <gaba> so we are only missing the reviews
18:33:56 <acat> well, i wouldn't say #33791 is not finished either
18:34:05 <acat> i would say
18:34:34 <acat> i could not finish that because of priorities
18:34:44 <gaba> acat: what is missing? how much more time?
18:36:11 <acat> i'm not sure, at least what i had in mind is to try to achieve something close to "green tests" in try, so that it can be useful in the sense that we can track which firefox tests start failing that were not previously failing
18:37:11 <acat> but i'm not sure how much additional time that will take
18:38:07 <gaba> geko, sysrqb: any thoughts about this?
18:38:12 <sysrqb> i thought we expected to work on some of the tests after September
18:38:21 <GeKo> yeah
18:38:36 <gaba> ok, so basically we can say O1.1 completed
18:38:47 <gaba> the other tests are going to happen after s58 is done
18:38:47 <GeKo> we made this an "evaluation" so be pretty flexible about what we should do
18:38:56 <gaba> ok
18:38:57 <GeKo> s/so/to/
18:39:04 <gaba> so we will not work on this until after september
18:39:14 <GeKo> i guess what acat did so far could count as such evaluation
18:39:33 <GeKo> it we try to address the remaining issues later or if we have more time
18:39:44 <acat> well it's true that wrt to sponsor i guess we can say it's done
18:39:58 <sysrqb> yeah
18:40:02 <gaba> ok. In that case it makes sense if we close https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33654
18:40:10 <gaba> and we remove the s58 label from the tickets related to it
18:40:12 <GeKo> s/it/and/
18:40:13 <gaba> and the milestone
18:40:23 <gaba> but we keep those tickets in the backlog in the board
18:40:30 <gaba> I will do that if everybody is ok iwth it
18:40:43 <GeKo> wfm
18:40:57 <sysrqb> same
18:42:47 <gaba> next is https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33656
18:43:10 <gaba> O1.2: Update infrastructure to automatically rebase tor-browser.git patches
18:43:14 <gaba> It was 50% in July
18:43:19 <gaba> 50% done
18:43:37 <gaba> What is missing here?
18:43:41 <gaba> What can we remove?
18:43:45 <sysrqb> we won't complete "Implement auto-rebasing tooling" or "Deploy notifications for auto-rebasing failures" before september
18:44:27 <sysrqb> so this will likely remain at 50% for August
18:44:37 <gaba> mmm, in that case can this objective considered done?
18:44:41 <gaba> for s58
18:46:03 <sysrqb> we didn't really start working on these
18:46:10 <sysrqb> so i'm not sure we should say we completed them
18:46:34 <sysrqb> if i remember corrrectly, S58 ends in October, yes?
18:46:48 <sysrqb> so we have a month after releasing TB 10 for working on these
18:46:57 <gaba> ok
18:46:58 <gaba> sounds good
18:47:12 <gaba> let's keep them there but just in the backlog for now
18:47:23 <sysrqb> sounds good to me
18:49:01 <gaba> O2.1: Evaluate and address Fennec vs. Fenix UI changes was 40% in July
18:49:14 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33658
18:49:39 <gaba> I'm guessing this is a priority right now and there is nothing to remove
18:50:09 <sysrqb> yes, from my perspective
18:50:16 <sysrqb> but this is antonela's ticket :)
18:50:29 <antonela> im working with the end of year campaign this week and next, i should not touch browser until i finish. Anyways, https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34405 needs review
18:51:05 <antonela> i updated the net settings and the connecting screen / about:tor based on what we discussed last meeting
18:51:12 <antonela> feel free to take a look :D
18:51:44 <gaba> ok. Next is https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33659
18:51:53 <GeKo> yo
18:51:55 <gaba> O2.2: Update build system for Fenix migration.
18:52:10 <gaba> it was 90% in july
18:52:15 <GeKo> there are still two blockers
18:52:17 <GeKo> yes
18:52:29 <GeKo> one i need mozilla folks to help with
18:52:31 <GeKo> and they do
18:52:46 <GeKo> after things landed i expect i need two days to fix things on our side
18:53:03 <GeKo> the other blocker, i am not sure
18:53:05 <gaba> so we are fine on this one
18:53:08 <gaba> mm
18:53:14 <GeKo> hopefully just another two days
18:53:22 <gaba> ok
18:53:35 <GeKo> but i burnt quite some time on it already trying to understand the problem and find workarounds
18:53:43 <GeKo> so far to no avail
18:53:49 <GeKo> we'll see this week
18:53:55 <gaba> ok
18:53:59 <gaba> next one is https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33660
18:54:05 <gaba> O2.3: Update existing QA and regression test infrastructure for Fenix.
18:54:13 <gaba> 10% in July
18:54:59 <sysrqb> then still 10%
18:55:26 <sysrqb> we haven't started integration because we don't have a full program to integrate
18:55:47 <sysrqb> tihs is likely another peice we'll delay until after September
18:55:50 <sysrqb> along with O1.2
18:56:19 <sysrqb> i'm running the Fenix test suite that Mozilla use
18:56:47 <sysrqb> and i'm adjusting tests when i break them
18:57:16 <sysrqb> but i don't think we'll have time for integrating it into the same testsuite we use for desktop
18:57:38 <sysrqb> acat: have you tried running any tests using a geckoview build?
18:57:52 <acat> no, not yet
18:58:02 <sysrqb> okay
18:58:20 <gaba> ok, moving https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-bundle-testsuite/-/issues/34182 to the backlog but still in milestone
18:59:05 <gaba> and the last one is O2.4: Migrate Tor Browser for Android from ESR68 to Fenix.
18:59:14 <gaba> it was 40% in july
18:59:14 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33661
18:59:16 <sysrqb> maybe we can run the testsuite on a geckoview build within the next couple weeks, aso we have a baseline understanding about how bad it looks
18:59:24 <sysrqb> *so
19:00:00 <GeKo> i gotta go now o/
19:00:02 <GeKo> ttyl
19:00:20 <sysrqb> thanks GeKo o/
19:00:22 <gaba> right! i have other meeting too
19:00:23 <gaba> thanks!
19:00:41 <sysrqb> gaba: i hope we'll reach at least 60% for O2.4 in August
19:00:49 <gaba> ok
19:00:52 <sysrqb> we'll see how much we accomplish this week
19:00:58 <gaba> So it seems that there is not much to remove, only to delay
19:00:59 <gaba> ok
19:01:05 <gaba> let's close the meeting then
19:01:08 <sysrqb> yeah
19:01:09 <gaba> anything else?
19:01:15 <sysrqb> nothing from me
19:01:42 <gaba> #endmeeting