14:59:20 <karsten> #startmeeting metrics team meeting
14:59:20 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu Aug 20 14:59:20 2020 UTC.  The chair is karsten. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:59:20 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:59:55 <karsten> first meeting after a few weeks. yay!
15:00:06 <karsten> I added some topics to the agenda. feel free to add more.
15:01:44 <karsten> maybe let's just start with the agenda and add more topics to the end, in case something comes up.
15:01:51 <karsten> OnionPerf 0.6 release, new op-??4 instances, turning off op-??3 instances
15:02:09 <karsten> so, onionperf 0.6 is out and running.
15:02:23 <karsten> I sent mail about that to the team mailing list.
15:02:30 <acute> nice!
15:03:05 <karsten> I'll turn off op-??3 instances this week. unless there's a reason to keep them running?
15:03:42 <karsten> if there is, please let me know.
15:03:58 <acute> hmm, I don't recall seeing an email about this
15:04:03 <karsten> oh.
15:04:33 <karsten> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/metrics-team/2020-August/001154.html
15:04:44 <karsten> just a few days ago.
15:05:19 <acute> ...makes sense, looks like I'm not subscribed
15:05:24 <acute> thank you for the link
15:05:25 <karsten> oh!
15:05:35 <karsten> sure. feel free to subscribe. :)
15:05:53 <acute> better late than never :D
15:05:56 <karsten> heh
15:05:59 <karsten> okay, moving on:
15:06:03 <karsten> Moving op-hk? to AWS, possibly more in the future
15:06:25 <karsten> we're going to lose our hong kong hosting in a few weeks from now.
15:06:41 <gaba> the idea is to setup a new one in aws
15:06:46 <gaba> for now only for hk
15:07:00 <karsten> in fact, the reason why we have an op-hk4 now is that it's really op-hk2 with a changed hostname. they don't let us start new instances in hong kong anymore.
15:07:29 <karsten> right. I'm going to start a new instance on AWS soon.
15:07:59 <karsten> if we stick to the monthly release cycle, it might make sense to wait for 0.7 to be released and deploy that as op-hk5.
15:08:12 <acute> would be interesting to see how the aws instance compares to the greenhost one
15:08:15 <karsten> along with op-nl5 and op-us5 on the current hoster.
15:08:59 <karsten> yes, good point. I think we'll learn that even with the 0.7 changes.
15:09:17 <karsten> none of them should affect default behavior. unless I'm overlooking something.
15:09:22 <acute> yes
15:09:50 <karsten> great. so, I'll start the new AWS hong kong instance in ~1.5 weeks from now.
15:09:59 <karsten> that gives us a few weeks for figuring out any issues.
15:11:12 <karsten> okay.
15:11:15 <karsten> updated the pad.
15:11:25 <karsten> now, shall we talk about the roadmap?
15:11:39 <karsten> IIRC, our current roadmap ends in 1 week.
15:11:51 <karsten> and we only have 6 issues left on our board.
15:12:07 <karsten> I went through these 6 issues and made notes what remains to be done.
15:12:20 <karsten> and how much time that remaining work would take us.
15:12:40 <karsten> shall we go through these 6 issues together?
15:12:56 <phw> works for me
15:12:58 <acute> the estimates are ok on my end
15:13:13 <acute> sounds good
15:13:39 <karsten> okay!
15:13:40 <karsten> tpo/metrics/onionperf#33432
15:14:08 <karsten> phw, does the pad make sense regarding this issue?
15:14:31 <karsten> should we estimate more hours for finishing this?
15:14:38 <phw> yes, makes sense
15:14:49 <karsten> okay!
15:14:55 <phw> i think 1h is fine. maybe 2h to be conservative
15:14:59 <phw> (for you)
15:15:14 <karsten> changed.
15:15:23 <karsten> tpo/metrics/onionperf#33420
15:15:45 <karsten> I added a long comment to that one yesterday.
15:16:06 <karsten> I guess reading through that comment and the rest of the ticket and thinking about all of that is going to take an hour. :)
15:16:30 <karsten> if that plan makes sense, doing just step 1 there will be relatively fast.
15:16:44 <karsten> maybe we should ask mikeperry about this one, too.
15:17:17 <karsten> should I do that?
15:18:11 <karsten> silence means yes here. I'll to that. :)
15:18:14 <phw> i think i lack the context to have something useful to say here
15:18:29 <karsten> yes, it takes quite a while to get the necessary context for this.
15:18:31 <acute> same
15:18:32 <gaba> yes
15:18:33 <karsten> okay.
15:18:39 <gaba> mikeperry is afk but will be back in a week
15:18:48 <karsten> ah.
15:19:25 <karsten> then this won't make it into 0.7. should be fine, though.
15:19:44 <gaba> actually he should be back on monday
15:19:49 <karsten> aha!
15:19:51 * gaba just looked at the calendar
15:19:52 <karsten> then it might work.
15:19:57 <gaba> ha, ok
15:19:57 <karsten> I'll ask him.
15:20:00 <gaba> sounds good
15:20:04 <karsten> tpo/metrics/onionperf#33260
15:20:20 <karsten> acute and I discussed a trillion alternatives for a good user interface extension there.
15:20:38 <karsten> current state is that it needs review and careful consideration.
15:20:51 <acute> I really like separating the filtering step
15:20:54 <karsten> oh, and some coding on my side.
15:20:59 <acute> also I've started the review, there will be a couple of small revisions
15:21:01 <karsten> great!
15:21:11 <karsten> sounds good!
15:21:35 <karsten> tpo/metrics/onionperf#40001
15:22:17 <karsten> I'll need to sit down to do this. it just takes a block of 4 undisturbed hours, or it won't work out as well.
15:22:31 <karsten> then it will need review and discussion.
15:22:36 <karsten> but, all doable.
15:23:00 <karsten> tpo/metrics/onionperf#34231
15:23:15 <acute> ah, I have some wip for this one :)
15:23:20 <karsten> nice!
15:23:44 <karsten> if you have something for review, I'll happily take a look!
15:23:56 <acute> excellent, thank you!
15:24:21 <karsten> finally, tpo/metrics/onionperf#33421
15:24:39 <karsten> I added some next steps to that issue before this meeting.
15:24:42 <karsten> it's ... a project.
15:25:26 <karsten> which is why I moved this to the end of the list. maybe we'll have to move part of this to the next roadmap month.
15:25:59 <karsten> okay.
15:26:02 <gaba> ok
15:26:13 <karsten> anything else on these issues? (or others?)
15:26:46 <gaba> nothing from me.
15:27:00 <acute> nothing from me
15:27:04 <phw> karsten: do you have any preferences on what i should be working on after #33432 is done?
15:28:17 <karsten> well, how much do you know about how tor uses guards?
15:28:33 <karsten> I briefly looked at the spec and the tor logs there, and it's non trivial (to me).
15:28:54 <karsten> this is related to the first step of tpo/metrics/onionperf#33421
15:29:32 <phw> i'd probably have to do some reading before getting started
15:30:38 <karsten> okay. feel free to also look around at the other issues and see whether they would be a better fit.
15:30:49 <phw> okay, i will
15:31:02 <karsten> perfect. thanks!
15:31:19 <karsten> anything else for today's meeting?
15:32:17 <acute> nothing from me
15:32:36 <phw> same
15:32:45 <karsten> if not, thank you, everyone, and talk to you next week! :)
15:32:53 <karsten> bye! o/
15:33:02 <acute> bye! o/
15:33:18 <phw> o/
15:33:29 <karsten> #endmeeting