17:58:39 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Meeting 24 August 2020
17:58:39 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Aug 24 17:58:39 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:58:39 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:58:47 <sysrqb> hello, hello!
17:58:48 <GeKo> hi
17:58:55 <antonela> hello!
17:59:07 <mikeperry> o/
17:59:25 <acat> hi!
17:59:47 <sysrqb> this is the time and place, and https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep is the pad
18:00:07 <sysrqb> mikeperry: i hope you had a good/relaxing break
18:00:10 <sysrqb> welcome back
18:07:28 <sysrqb> okayyy
18:09:24 <sysrqb> mikeperry: can you also look at gecko/proxy-safety for FF79-81?
18:09:37 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos is here, sorry I'm late today
18:09:44 <sysrqb> no worries
18:09:52 <sysrqb> JewI haven't ready your email yet, but I'll read it later today
18:10:02 <sysrqb> err, Jeremy_Rand_Talos ^
18:10:06 <mikeperry> sysrqb: is that for the mobile side?
18:10:43 <sysrqb> mikeperry: yeah, for geckoview, but covering all of gecko will help us overall
18:10:57 <GeKo> well, for everything that affects mobile
18:11:13 <GeKo> which is i suspect almost everything :)
18:11:28 <GeKo> (that is, not just the java parts)
18:12:02 <sysrqb> right :)
18:12:59 <mikeperry> I think we're going to need another approach. that's why I am gonna dig into the binaries for a bit
18:13:19 <mikeperry> it is too time consuming to regrep for all of these changes on rapid release
18:13:48 <sysrqb> oh, right, i forgot we talked about that last time
18:13:51 <mikeperry> how close are we to nightly/alpha fenix builds?
18:14:05 <sysrqb> i would like nightlies starting next week
18:14:20 <sysrqb> and we'll probably prep the first alpha a week or two after that
18:14:27 <sysrqb> (but, really, asap)
18:14:59 <sysrqb> how much time do you think you'll ned to looking at the object files?
18:15:13 <sysrqb> or resulting binary
18:17:37 <mikeperry> I don't know for sure..
18:18:47 <sysrqb> okay, can we put a cap on it, and fallback on the manual review if you don't figure it out?
18:19:04 <sysrqb> like, by thursday?
18:19:05 <mikeperry> basically my thinking is to see if we can insert a stub library or object file with wrapped network calls or something like that.. but that still won't get external apps/desktop calls/candroid apis
18:20:58 <sysrqb> i'd like some confidence that something dangerous didn't land after 78
18:21:00 <mikeperry> when the network perf and scalability work starts up, I won't have time for continued review.. so basically its hail mary to figure out some hack plan before that starts -- which is ~September/Oct
18:21:13 <sysrqb> right
18:22:01 <sysrqb> can you at least try to get a handle on how difficult this will be by thursday?
18:22:34 <sysrqb> and then we can discuss when whether it's worth continuing on it or switching to manual review?
18:22:46 <sysrqb> s/when whether/whether/
18:22:54 <mikeperry> why thursday?
18:23:22 <sysrqb> it's as good a day as any
18:23:34 <sysrqb> and then you have Friday for working on whatever we decide
18:24:22 <sysrqb> does that seem like not enough time?
18:28:07 <sysrqb> alrighty, in any case. we'll see.
18:28:39 <sysrqb> I added one discussion point
18:29:37 <sysrqb> antonela: TB 10 doesn't have many new features like 9.5, and 10.0 will have the EOY theme
18:29:50 <antonela> right
18:29:54 <sysrqb> but should we plan (with comms) a press release?
18:30:00 <sysrqb> for getting more attention?
18:30:14 <antonela> i think, yes
18:30:38 <sysrqb> okay, can you talk with that team? or should i start that discussion?
18:30:51 <sysrqb> i know you have a lot on your plate
18:30:56 <antonela> I can do it at comms
18:31:00 <sysrqb> thanks
18:31:18 <antonela> could you remind me the dates?
18:31:21 <sysrqb> only one month away :/
18:31:32 <sysrqb> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar
18:31:46 <antonela> i know, but we will have eoy campaign set for then, yes?
18:31:57 * antonela has been working on that :)
18:31:58 <sysrqb> we need EOY strings by Sept 8
18:32:01 <sysrqb> si
18:32:06 <GeKo> why 10.0
18:32:12 <GeKo> and not say, 10.0.1?
18:32:27 <antonela> good point, we can do it
18:32:28 <sysrqb> for EOY?
18:32:31 <GeKo> yes
18:32:44 <GeKo> everything we can postpone after 10.0
18:32:44 <sysrqb> we could, but then more release than strictly necessary
18:32:46 <GeKo> is a win for us
18:32:55 <sysrqb> true
18:33:01 <GeKo> i bet we want to do a 10.0.1 anyway
18:33:24 <GeKo> or at least we can find something that would be worth fixing in a 10.0.1 release
18:33:33 <antonela> i have sept 8 in a post it here, so if you want to release it after, is groot (we will provide anyways)
18:34:10 <GeKo> antonela: sounds good
18:34:30 <GeKo> might be worth to get that idea to the comms folks
18:34:33 <sysrqb> a 10.0.1 would be (approximately) one week after 10.0
18:34:37 <GeKo> so they are aware of that option
18:34:45 <GeKo> something like that, yes
18:34:47 <sysrqb> so having EOY strings by Sept 8 is still good timing
18:34:51 <antonela> i'll bring this at comms and also start with a pad to list what we will have (at the end of this week, probably after privchat)
18:34:57 <antonela> sweet
18:34:58 <antonela> thanks folks!
18:35:02 <GeKo> thanks
18:35:34 <sysrqb> +1
18:35:55 <sysrqb> i don't have anything else for this meeting
18:35:58 <GeKo> the other thing to consider is that 10.0 will likely get more attention than 10.0.1
18:36:12 <sysrqb> i'll chat with ahf about whether he has any time for working on browser things during this week
18:36:22 <GeKo> however, i am not sure if that much more attention that early in the campaign is important
18:36:36 <sysrqb> GeKo: right, could be.
18:36:54 <sysrqb> i was imagining that was one benefit of using a press release and including the EOY campaign
18:37:02 <GeKo> might be interesting whether data from previous years can back this up or not
18:37:05 <antonela> yeah, but we dont have too much features at this time, unless https in high sec mode is a fact, lets see, i'll ask comms what they think -- i want to list what we will be releasing to make that decision
18:37:26 <sysrqb> nah, we won't get https-only mode in 10
18:37:29 <sysrqb> *10.0
18:37:34 <sysrqb> so, not many features
18:37:35 <antonela> groot
18:37:38 <sysrqb> mostly 78esr and fenix
18:37:52 <sysrqb> fenix could be anice highlight, though
18:37:57 <sysrqb> if it's in good shape
18:38:03 <sysrqb> *a nice
18:38:05 <antonela> right
18:38:11 <antonela> lets see
18:38:14 <antonela> we have the option
18:38:16 <GeKo> yeah
18:39:08 <sysrqb> okay, we can see how this progresses and evaluate our options over the next couple weeks
18:39:27 <sysrqb> anything else for this meeting?
18:40:08 <GeKo> not from my side
18:40:10 * sysrqb hears nothing
18:40:17 <sysrqb> okay, thanks everyone
18:40:21 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> thanks!
18:40:23 <sysrqb> have a good week
18:40:25 <sysrqb> #endmeeting