17:59:34 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Meeting 31 August 2020
17:59:34 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Aug 31 17:59:34 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:59:34 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:59:38 <gaba> pad is at http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep
17:59:39 <sysrqb> Hello everyon
17:59:40 <sysrqb> e
17:59:51 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hi!
17:59:56 <GeKo> o/
18:00:08 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: i saw your ping, and that mail is still near the top of my stack
18:00:24 <sysrqb> i chatted with arthur about it on thursday, too
18:01:16 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, no worries, I'm quite confident there are higher priority things than me, whenever you have time is fine :)
18:03:09 <antonela> hello!
18:03:42 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: unfortunately my plate is very full until ~Sept 23
18:04:19 <sysrqb> but i would like to schedule a meeting
18:05:39 <sysrqb> ahf: are you here?
18:06:03 <ahf> i am
18:06:19 <sysrqb> woo
18:06:22 <sysrqb> okay
18:06:50 <sysrqb> we didn't discuss browser work last week
18:07:07 <sysrqb> but i'm hoping you can help with some work this week and probably some next week, as well
18:07:11 <ahf> nope, i am ready to dive into that this week post tomorrow
18:07:16 <ahf> what is the big struggles right now?
18:07:21 <ahf> yep, i can
18:07:36 <ahf> only have the ios and a few 0.4.4 things (and the glob() ticket with the patch from jigsaw)
18:07:36 <sysrqb> heh. where should we begin :)
18:07:44 <sysrqb> cool
18:07:45 <ahf> most important stuff first? :-P
18:08:00 <sysrqb> we'll triage remaining tickets later in this meeting
18:08:08 <ahf> cool
18:08:28 <sysrqb> and i hope we can find some ticket(s) for you, then
18:08:41 <ahf> when are you gonna do triage?
18:08:46 <ahf> and is it gonna be like a meeting or?
18:09:14 <sysrqb> we'll include it in this meeting
18:09:19 <ahf> cool
18:09:29 <sysrqb> i already did a first-pass
18:09:37 <sysrqb> but i didn't assign tickets
18:09:55 <ahf> cool
18:10:24 <sysrqb> alrighty.
18:10:43 <sysrqb> are everyone's boards up-to-date?
18:10:45 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards
18:10:51 <sysrqb> given what they know right now?
18:12:22 <sysrqb> i'll assume that means yes
18:12:47 <ahf> what was the meeting earlier today before the network team?
18:13:01 <GeKo> sysrqb: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/40028 is tb-10.0-could?
18:13:20 <GeKo> the same goes for https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/40026?
18:13:40 <sysrqb> no, those should be -must
18:13:53 <sysrqb> i guess i missed them
18:14:17 <sysrqb> i have reviewing those labels as part of the discussion section
18:14:47 <sysrqb> ahf: ah, that was a weekly sync i have with GeKo  and acat
18:14:52 <ahf> AH
18:15:03 <sysrqb> we were previously having it privately
18:15:13 <sysrqb> but we decided it could be public
18:15:33 <ahf> cool. we have a voice sync in network team each thursday. is good
18:15:52 <gaba> sysrqb: if those syncs are related to the team they could be during this browser meeting, right?
18:16:01 <sysrqb> acat: i see you just updated tpo/applications/tor-browser-build#40065
18:16:04 <sysrqb> do you have a MR for it?
18:16:17 <GeKo> yes, it's assigned to me
18:16:21 <sysrqb> gaba: yes, but i don't think we have enough time
18:16:30 <sysrqb> GeKo: ah, great. thanks
18:16:39 <sysrqb> acat: ^
18:16:41 <acat> ah, i forgot the closes part
18:17:00 <sysrqb> i was going to ask about where that should be on the roadmap/radar
18:17:06 <sysrqb> this answers that question :)
18:17:27 <GeKo> acat: no worries, still plenty of time to change that :)
18:17:41 <GeKo> mikeperry: do you have an update on the pad?
18:18:08 <acat> sysrqb: i think GeKo not enough time was for gaba?
18:18:09 <GeKo> or maybe it just looking at a not-yet-reloaded-version
18:18:32 <mikeperry> GeKo: yah sorry am a bit late to the party
18:19:05 <GeKo> it's cool
18:19:09 <mikeperry> I also have some more questions about tba build.. and how to run test builds
18:19:49 <sysrqb> they're a work-in-progress, at the moment
18:20:16 <sysrqb> but GeKo and acat are working on different parts of it, depending on what you need
18:20:30 <mikeperry> is all the android stuff gone from mozilla-central? or is mobile/android still in use?
18:20:47 <sysrqb> the mobile/android stuff is "geckoview"
18:20:51 <GeKo> pieces are still in use for geckoview
18:20:55 <sysrqb> it is the interface between Fenix and Gecko
18:21:12 <GeKo> but not all pieces you'll fine :)
18:21:17 <GeKo> *find
18:21:49 <acat> mikeperry: the geckoview.js loaded in geckoview.xhtml is still in use, for example
18:22:42 <mikeperry> there is some stuff for the awesomebar in the android-components that uses java networking APIs.. so I am guessing we'll see leaks there
18:23:12 <sysrqb> mikeperry: did you make any progress on the binary analysis?
18:23:18 <mikeperry> I thought about the binary approach and decided that for now it was too much effort to be useful... it would be like torsocks for all platforms, at the end of the day
18:23:47 <mikeperry> so I am gonna do the android review of the tree, and then write a script to do it for rapid release diffs
18:24:06 <mikeperry> so at least we have a scripted workflow for new rapidrelease
18:24:09 <sysrqb> okay, sounds good
18:24:10 <GeKo> mikeperry: could you file a ticket fir the awesomebar part so we can patch that thing as soon as possible?
18:24:25 <GeKo> we only have 2 1/2 weeks before 10.0 building...
18:24:53 <mikeperry> GeKo: ok. I still need to dig into all of that. It could have a hidden proxy somewhere I didn't see. I just did an initial check for most common java network APIs in the three trees
18:24:57 <sysrqb> i'm surprised because I didn't find it in my audit
18:25:05 <mikeperry> thats how I noticed some stuff still in geckview (but much removed)
18:25:51 <sysrqb> but please file a ticket, and we can confirm it's a leak after
18:25:51 <mikeperry> they switched up the APIs they were using. These ones were a HttpUrlConnection, which I think used to be patched but I did not see proxy args being used for it
18:26:50 <sysrqb> okay, i can look closer at that this week
18:27:13 <mikeperry> I will dig closer into all of it. I was just trying to weigh the size of the task while thinking about which approach to use
18:27:29 <GeKo> yeah, it's hard :(
18:29:36 <sysrqb> okay, mikeperry please ping me/us when you know more
18:30:12 <sysrqb> I triaged milestone Tor Browser 10.0 tickets
18:30:40 <sysrqb> and i tagged each issue with tb-10.0-must or tb-10.0-could
18:30:53 <sysrqb> most of them already had the 1b-10.0-could label
18:31:18 <antonela> good stuff
18:31:21 <sysrqb> issues with tb-10.0-must are tickets that we need fixed/closed before the 10.0 release
18:31:46 <sysrqb> roughly, no later than 15 Sept
18:31:55 <antonela> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues?label_name%5B%5D=TB-10.0-must
18:31:55 <sysrqb> but, ideally, asap
18:32:17 <sysrqb> so we can include them in an alpha version and get some testing before we release the next stable
18:32:27 <antonela> any of mcs's on https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues?label_name[]=TB-10.0-could
18:32:30 <antonela> ?
18:33:10 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None&[]=TB-10.0-must
18:33:21 <sysrqb> these are all unassigned tickets in -must
18:33:26 <sysrqb> antonela: good question, i did not look
18:34:13 <GeKo> sysrqb: do we have the full picture here? it seems we are missing e.g. the review tickets for mobile 10.0
18:34:34 <GeKo> even if i leave the assignment part out: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/issues?label_name[]=TB-10.0-must&scope=all&state=opened
18:35:33 <sysrqb> those may be included in S58 milestone
18:35:39 <sysrqb> i didn't review those
18:35:46 <GeKo> okay...
18:35:56 <antonela> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues?milestone_title=Sponsor+58+-++Tor+Browser+Security%2C+Performance%2C+%26+Usability+Improvements
18:36:01 <antonela> the milestone °
18:36:04 <GeKo> how do we know then whether we can handle the tb-10.0 load?
18:36:13 <GeKo> or whether we need to move things out of that part?
18:36:25 <ahf> move things out? like drop them?
18:36:34 <GeKo> yes
18:36:52 <ahf> ok
18:37:01 <sysrqb> i am hoping we can review those in this meeting, too
18:38:20 <sysrqb> but these tickets are already known as blockers:
18:38:24 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=TB-10.0-must&assignee_id=None
18:38:27 <antonela> we have 20 minutes, lets do it?
18:38:39 <sysrqb> (excluding the youtube issue, which we can delay)
18:39:06 <sysrqb> but yes, we can go through the S58 tickets now
18:39:09 <GeKo> sysrqb: we should go over the blocker list
18:39:11 <sysrqb> and add labels
18:39:45 <GeKo> because those might change once we get the s58load on the table as well
18:40:32 <GeKo> we are talking here about a timeframe of, what? 5 work days
18:40:34 <GeKo> maybe 7
18:41:05 <sysrqb> yes
18:42:13 <sysrqb> okay, i can't add additional queries for this milestone:
18:42:16 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?milestone_title=Sponsor+58+-++Tor+Browser+Security%2C+Performance%2C+%26+Usability+Improvements
18:42:22 <sysrqb> (which is another discussion item)
18:42:56 <sysrqb> but i'll start at the top
18:45:36 <sysrqb> okay, i don't see any additional issues that are not already on our tb-10.0-must/could radar
18:45:44 <sysrqb> some arae missing the label
18:45:49 <sysrqb> and i'm adding those now
18:48:06 <sysrqb> did anyone else look through th S58 milestone tickets, and do you see any issues  we are missing in the tb-10.0-must category?
18:48:36 <GeKo> let'S see
18:49:22 <GeKo> #40001 should be -must?
18:49:27 <GeKo> fenix that is
18:49:42 <antonela> on my side, i dont have blockers, i will do my best to review all that by this week
18:49:44 <GeKo> the proxy audit tor-browser#40017
18:49:46 <acat> tpo/applications/fenix#34179?
18:50:14 <GeKo> yeah
18:51:09 <GeKo> what about all those "Re-design..." tickets?
18:51:15 <GeKo> seems to be -must as well
18:51:32 <GeKo> "UI changes for "Only Private Browsing Mode" on Android", too
18:53:12 <sysrqb> yeah, i haven't finished adding the label on those.
18:54:09 <sysrqb> tpo/applications/tor-browser#40017
18:54:40 <sysrqb> i didn't mention any of the tickets alreadigned assigned or I know someone is working on them
18:54:45 <sysrqb> tpo/applications/fenix#34179 is a good catch
18:55:09 <sysrqb> and that may be a good one for ahf
18:56:48 <ahf> fenix#34179 ?
18:57:54 <sysrqb> https://bugs.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/34179
18:57:59 <ahf> yeah, looking at it
18:58:14 <sysrqb> installing the current app and then try upgrading to the fenix-based app
18:58:36 <sysrqb> and make sure migration works
18:58:37 <ahf> with the same package ID?
18:58:39 <ahf> ye
18:58:42 <sysrqb> probably bookmarks in particular
18:58:43 <ahf> i can grab that
18:58:55 <sysrqb> i can produce testbuilds for you
18:59:09 <sysrqb> or you can build them yourself, because you have tor-browser-build setup :)
18:59:20 <ahf> i think i have the build-setup if everything works like a few weeks ago (ish)
18:59:31 <ahf> assigned it to myself
18:59:36 <GeKo> i need to go but i can read backlog later
18:59:39 <GeKo> o/
18:59:48 <ahf> o/
18:59:49 <sysrqb> kk
18:59:51 <sysrqb> o/
18:59:53 <acat> o/
19:00:02 <sysrqb> ahf: thanks
19:00:08 <sysrqb> okay, thakns everyone
19:00:24 <antonela> thank you!
19:00:31 <acat> thanks
19:00:32 <sysrqb> i'll continue triaging these tickets and hopefully we can find some more owners for the remaining items
19:00:40 <sysrqb> have a good week
19:00:48 <sysrqb> #endmeeting