18:01:17 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 14 September 2020
18:01:17 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Sep 14 18:01:17 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:01:17 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:01:18 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> hello!
18:01:44 <ahf> hello
18:02:10 <GeKo> o/
18:02:34 <gaba> o/
18:02:36 <gaba> hi!
18:02:48 <mikeperry> hi
18:03:19 <gaba> pad in http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep as always
18:05:13 <antonela> hello!
18:07:24 <gaba> do we have anything in the agenda for today?
18:08:41 <sysrqb> i only have a questoin for antonela about the EOY campaign
18:09:15 <sysrqb> i don't see any othe ritems for discussion on the pad
18:09:44 <sysrqb> the the Tor Browser 10.0 release is approaching very fast
18:10:13 <sysrqb> and desktop is looking good, considering everything we're working on
18:10:33 <sysrqb> Android is still coming together, but we're making progress on it
18:10:43 <sysrqb> i guess, on that note, i can add one more discussion item
18:11:28 <antonela> yep, tell me
18:11:28 <sysrqb> i'll start with my quick question for antonela
18:11:33 <sysrqb> antonela: hey! :)
18:11:41 <antonela> heyhey :)
18:11:58 <sysrqb> should i take the EOY strings from the graphic on https://use-tor.glitch.me/ ?
18:12:08 <sysrqb> three strings
18:12:37 <sysrqb> "Use a mask, ...", "Resist ..", and "Donate Now"
18:12:37 <antonela> yes, i can make it explicit in the ticket
18:12:44 <antonela> we already have donate now
18:12:48 <sysrqb> that would be even better
18:12:50 <sysrqb> yeah
18:12:56 <sysrqb> i realied that after I said "three strings"
18:13:02 <sysrqb> so, good, only need two new trings
18:13:08 <sysrqb> *realized
18:13:28 <sysrqb> and we should get those into transifex today
18:13:49 <antonela> super, im linking the l10n ticket to https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40113
18:14:06 <sysrqb> perfect
18:14:53 <sysrqb> okay, this should be easy
18:15:00 <sysrqb> that's all i had for this item
18:15:25 <antonela> yes, could you update  tpo/community/l10n#40004 once the strings are live?
18:15:31 <mikeperry> do we have android nightlies yet? http://f4amtbsowhix7rrf.onion/tor-browser-builds/ is asking for auth
18:15:32 <antonela> so erin can get a ping
18:15:47 <sysrqb> mikeperry: the auth prompt tells you the u+p
18:15:59 <GeKo> mikeperry: tor-guest:tor-guest as the auth dialog say
18:16:00 <GeKo> s
18:16:07 <sysrqb> but no, we don't nightly builds are taking a few days right now
18:16:07 <GeKo> but, no
18:16:32 <sysrqb> antonela: yes, I/we can do that
18:16:37 <antonela> jumping topics, also that, what is the most recent fenix build?
18:16:40 <antonela> sysrqb: thank you!
18:16:50 <GeKo> well, i guess boklm's mr for rbm#40005 is promising
18:16:58 <GeKo> err
18:17:02 <GeKo> rbm#40004
18:17:17 <GeKo> so, i guess i'll spend some time testing that
18:17:21 <GeKo> and merging asap
18:18:04 <sysrqb> nice. 45 -> 4min
18:18:07 <GeKo> mikeperry: did i get that right but you looked at the mozilla code between 79 and 81 for proxy issues
18:18:11 <GeKo> ?
18:18:12 <GeKo> yeah
18:18:28 <ahf> oh wow
18:18:34 <GeKo> mozilla = mozilla-central
18:18:38 <ahf> quite an improvement
18:18:40 <mikeperry> GeKo: in gecko-dev for desktop, yes. for android calls, I checked the whole tree for all three repos
18:18:46 <mikeperry> as of FF81
18:19:09 <GeKo> and gecko-dev for mobile?
18:19:33 <mikeperry> yes I searched the whole gecko-dev tree for android calls, at FF81beta
18:19:39 <GeKo> great
18:19:41 <GeKo> thanks
18:20:47 <sysrqb> antonela: we don't have a recent build for android
18:20:49 <sysrqb> https://people.torproject.org/~sysrqb/base_ui/14/
18:21:05 <antonela> okidoki
18:21:06 <sysrqb> that has an older test build
18:21:14 <antonela> ye, i have it
18:21:14 <sysrqb> but it's the most recent now
18:21:33 <sysrqb> i hope I can build some today
18:21:59 <sysrqb> and then we should get nightlies this week
18:22:14 <sysrqb> i don't know if we'll get them tomorrow or on thursday...
18:22:43 <antonela> thats good
18:22:46 <sysrqb> which, on that note, is a decent transition into the second discussion topic i posted
18:23:22 <sysrqb> The Android Tor Browser 10.0 release is delayed by at least a week, maybe more
18:24:06 <sysrqb> in the Desktop 10.0 release, we should say something about this, and give a recommendation for current users
18:24:22 <sysrqb> GeKo raised this concern earlier
18:24:33 * antonela noted
18:24:47 <sysrqb> and I think we shouldn't recommend not using Android tor browser
18:25:16 <sysrqb> but we should give clear guidance
18:25:58 <sysrqb> and I'm not sure how we should phrase the statement such that it doesn't scare away users
18:26:09 <sysrqb> GeKo said he'll think about this during this week
18:26:22 <sysrqb> so we can discuss this at next week's meeting, too
18:26:29 <sysrqb> before we publish the release
18:26:56 <sysrqb> but if other people have sthoughts/suggestions, please let us know
18:27:25 <ahf> it is because we wont know if there is some catastrophe in the window period right? because mozilla wont care for it?
18:27:39 <sysrqb> correct
18:27:41 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, what was the intended release date prior to the week+ delay?
18:28:12 <sysrqb> while i think a 0day is unlikely in that window, we should take that possibility seriously
18:28:21 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: this coming Tuesday
18:28:24 <sysrqb> the same as desktop
18:28:36 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> ok
18:28:39 <sysrqb> err, i guess next tuesday
18:28:46 <sysrqb> (not tomorrow)
18:28:54 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> the 22nd?
18:28:57 <sysrqb> yes
18:29:01 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> ok
18:30:29 <sysrqb> okay, we can leave this topic here
18:30:37 <sysrqb> and make a decision next week
18:31:08 <sysrqb> In the announcement section there are a few items
18:31:24 <sysrqb> most of them are about upcoming releases
18:32:00 <sysrqb> i don't really have the space in my brain to think about mentoring someone right now
18:32:10 <GeKo> :)
18:32:18 <sysrqb> but if any of you do, please look at that ticket
18:32:45 <GeKo> i am glad how gsoc went during all that 10.0 prep, i think i'll pass :)
18:32:55 <sysrqb> heh
18:33:07 <sysrqb> idk,i see your name on there for exitmap :)
18:33:25 <sysrqb> but at least it's not tor browser-related
18:33:52 <GeKo> o_O
18:33:55 <GeKo> oookay
18:34:02 <ahf> XD
18:34:16 <ahf> it is the other hat that is happy with it
18:34:25 <sysrqb> ha!
18:34:31 <ahf> conflicts amongst all the hats
18:34:36 <GeKo> lol
18:34:55 <GeKo> i guess i need to talk seriously to all my hats at some point...
18:35:07 <ahf> you need a coordination meeting :-P
18:35:10 <sysrqb> intervention
18:35:20 <GeKo> a PM
18:35:45 <sysrqb> heh
18:36:00 <sysrqb> okay, anything else for this meeting?
18:36:40 * sysrqb assumes not
18:36:46 <sysrqb> thanks everyone o/
18:36:48 <sysrqb> #endmeeting