17:59:37 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Meeting 28 September 2020
17:59:37 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Sep 28 17:59:37 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:59:37 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:59:38 <acat> o/
17:59:40 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> hello!
17:59:43 <sysrqb> o/
18:00:07 <mikeperry> o.
18:00:12 <mikeperry> o/ too
18:01:37 <antonela> hello!
18:03:16 <sysrqb> Congrats everyone on the Tor Browser 10 release last week
18:03:42 <sysrqb> Overall it went smoothly without many serious issues
18:04:24 <sysrqb> although I've mostly ignored the blog post since Thursday, so maybe I just don't know :)
18:04:32 <antonela> ./o/
18:04:46 <sysrqb> but I think it went well, so thank you all
18:05:10 <antonela> haha
18:05:40 <sysrqb> I'm hoping we can release an alpha version of the new Android app near the near of this week
18:05:59 <sysrqb> i think we should have most of the important pieces in place at that time
18:06:19 <sysrqb> antonela: i've been debating if one of us should present it at the demo day
18:06:29 <antonela> you should :)
18:06:40 <sysrqb> but we don't have much time :)
18:06:42 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> +1
18:06:55 <ahf> +9000, and prepare people to try it out when the alpha is ready
18:07:01 <antonela> is good, you can just share your screen, lemme know, im sending an email later today
18:07:12 <sysrqb> hmm
18:07:20 <sysrqb> the timing is good
18:07:47 <sysrqb> i'll think more about it and ping you
18:08:21 <sysrqb> i really need to fix fenix#40040
18:08:34 <sysrqb> but i hope we have a fix for that in the alpha, in any case
18:08:44 <sysrqb> so it should be better by Wednesday, too
18:09:28 <mikeperry> (being rate liited on the pad :/)
18:09:41 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> mikeperry, me too :(
18:09:58 <sysrqb> ahf: for #34179, the security level isn't migrated because the Fenix code you're using doesn't have the security level implemented
18:10:21 <ahf> sysrqb: so the UI is there but the prefs aren't?
18:10:23 <sysrqb> ahf: there shouldn't be any migration needed for the security level, so I'm not too concerned about it
18:10:29 <ahf> great
18:10:29 <sysrqb> ahf: correct
18:10:36 <antonela> yes, the pad is having issues, just breath there :)
18:10:42 <sysrqb> heh
18:11:24 <ahf> so if the name and type is the same i think that should be OK for the migration then, at least for the values i tried
18:11:30 <sysrqb> heh, the pad was working well for me, but now it's automatically relaoding
18:12:02 <mikeperry> the most important thing is that I tried some proxy script things with git but git-diff is sloooowwww when using grep and pickaxe options.. takes hours. have to go another way (probably just pre-make diff and DIY)
18:12:04 <sysrqb> ahf: okay good. iirc, we didn't change any names for those data fields
18:12:15 <sysrqb> so we should be good with the migration
18:12:17 <ahf> fenix#40040 looks funky :o
18:12:30 <sysrqb> ahf: i have some more data points in my head
18:12:42 <sysrqb> i'll update the ticket after the meeting
18:12:49 <sysrqb> it's weird
18:12:49 * antonela breath grr breathe
18:12:53 <ahf> cool sysrqb!
18:13:04 <sysrqb> antonela: :)
18:13:07 <ahf> the biggest issue i think i found was the logo being the FF logo
18:13:08 <ahf> lol
18:13:14 <ahf> which is probably in the minor category
18:13:18 <sysrqb> lol solid. i can handle that :)
18:13:23 <sysrqb> yeah
18:14:06 <sysrqb> mikeperry: okay
18:14:21 <sysrqb> was that looking for specific symbol/function names?
18:15:41 <ahf> TOPL doesn't use Tor in the library variant, right?
18:15:44 <ahf> it's still as a process
18:15:47 <sysrqb> correct
18:16:19 <ahf> hm.
18:16:29 <sysrqb> that is part of the weirdness, because it re-uses an existing process when one is still running
18:17:13 <ahf> are you zapping the old process too hard so it cannot clean up after itself?
18:17:41 <ahf> like how does things get terminated? from the platform or from TOPL or?
18:17:46 <sysrqb> nope, not zapping hard enough
18:17:57 <mikeperry> sysrqb: yeah and figuring out how to get sane context for those. git-diff -S or -G with pickaxe options are made for this, but on a repo as big as gecko-dev it takes hours per check
18:18:00 <ahf> odd
18:18:28 <sysrqb> ahf: the controller only sends a HALT command
18:18:40 <ahf> ok, hm.
18:18:43 <sysrqb> mikeperry: yeah
18:18:44 <GeKo> sysrqb: i wonder why we see that issue now
18:18:54 <GeKo> is that a tor nightly problem?
18:19:01 <sysrqb> yep, that is the other weirdness
18:19:06 <GeKo> a toolchain one?
18:19:09 <sysrqb> no, because i see it with, as well
18:19:13 <GeKo> okay
18:19:25 <GeKo> because we did not change things in topl
18:19:28 <ahf> this isn't a sudden upgrade from android 10 to 11 or something? it seems odd that this is different from elsewhere
18:19:32 <sysrqb> it could be something in the new toolchain, but I am a little skeptical
18:19:35 <GeKo> since what we ship in 9.5.4
18:20:03 <sysrqb> right
18:21:22 <sysrqb> but this is one bug I have on my plate this week
18:22:02 <sysrqb> maybe I am initializing TOPL differently than in fennec
18:22:07 <sysrqb> but that isn't obvious
18:23:24 <sysrqb> okay, regarding releasing an alpha version of this app
18:24:54 <sysrqb> these are the current blockers I see: fenix#40060 tor-browser-build#40106 android-components#40006 fenix#40041 fenix#40040 tor-browser-build#40060 fenix#40026
18:25:42 <sysrqb> I have the Network Settings issue nearly complete, so that should land either today or tomorrow
18:26:06 <sysrqb> Security Level settings should follow closely behind that
18:26:16 <sysrqb> so those should be ready by Wednesday
18:26:43 <sysrqb> GeKo: you have tor-browser-build#40106 on your plate?
18:26:51 <GeKo> yes
18:26:58 <sysrqb> great
18:27:21 <sysrqb> fenix#40060 should be resolved (we'll see with today's nightly)
18:27:53 <acat> not sure if blockers, but if there's nothing more prioritary i could pick fenix#40061 and fenix#40058
18:29:25 <sysrqb> i didn't look at tor-browser-build#40057 last week
18:29:35 <sysrqb> so we may not have localization in the first alpha
18:29:44 <sysrqb> acat: hrm
18:30:26 <GeKo> sysrqb: if you can solve the blocker for that  bug
18:30:34 <GeKo> i can fix #40057 this week, too
18:33:06 <sysrqb> acat: fenix#40054 is another nice-to-have but not very high priority
18:33:20 <acat> ah right
18:33:34 <sysrqb> GeKo: okay, I'll try looking ath the l10n ticket early this week
18:34:21 <sysrqb> acat: using Google as the default isn't the worst situation for this first alpha
18:35:00 <sysrqb> but using ddg would obviously be better
18:35:21 <acat> ok, i'll pick that one too
18:35:23 <sysrqb> but i'm not sure how we should prioritise those three tickets
18:35:55 <sysrqb> sounds good
18:36:16 <sysrqb> i think we should prioritise the default search engine higher than fenix#40058
18:36:40 <sysrqb> because we don't recommend people install new addons, in any case
18:37:02 <sysrqb> but all of these issues should be fixed before the stable release
18:37:09 <acat> yeah, i agree
18:38:24 <sysrqb> another ticket you can look at is fenix#34406
18:38:36 <sysrqb> i don't think i have time for that one this week
18:38:46 <sysrqb> and it is at risk of missing 10.0
18:38:59 <sysrqb> we could backport it from 10.5, if the patch is not too large
18:39:30 <sysrqb> and I think it won't require many changes within a-c
18:39:47 <sysrqb> i briefly looked at the code one or two weeks ago
18:40:27 <GeKo> what is left from the feature-parity goal with fennec-based tor browser?
18:41:02 <sysrqb> i believe that is the only missing ticket
18:41:06 <acat> sysrqb: but fenix#34406 is just for design work? or you mean tor-browser#34377?
18:41:25 <GeKo> sysrqb: yeah, that was my feeling, too, good
18:41:27 <sysrqb> acat: ah, yes, thanks
18:41:45 <acat> ok
18:41:55 <acat> we'll, i'll add it to the list :)
18:41:58 <sysrqb> and i am willing to let this one slip, if we have a stable app with security level and network/bridge config
18:42:13 <GeKo> yup
18:42:25 <sysrqb> but if we can finish it, then that would be better
18:42:52 <sysrqb> acat: so, i think you should prioritize the bug fixes and the search engine
18:43:09 <sysrqb> but if you have time for the onion indicator, the nplease try doing that too
18:43:20 <acat> good
18:43:25 <antonela> acat: im happy to provide anything you need there
18:43:50 <antonela> acat: this is the UI ticket for it https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34406
18:44:35 <acat> antonala: thanks!
18:44:39 <acat> *antonela
18:44:50 <antonela> (:
18:45:21 * sysrqb reloads the pad, again
18:45:47 <sysrqb> i think the only other topic i have for this meeting is discussing Tor Browser 10.0.1
18:47:20 <sysrqb> tor-browser#40140  torbutton#40013 tor-browser#40156
18:47:53 <GeKo> i think the last one is av related and not much we can do about
18:47:55 <sysrqb> those are the tickets on my radar from the Tor Browser 10.0 milestone
18:48:08 <acat> what about tor-browser#40163?
18:48:32 <sysrqb> it's not in the 10.0 milestone :)
18:49:02 <GeKo> tor-browser#40139 is fair game, too, i think
18:50:17 <sysrqb> but that reminds me about disabling picture-in-picture
18:50:39 <GeKo> which we did and which landed
18:50:40 <sysrqb> tor-browser#40147
18:50:56 <sysrqb> was that investigated?
18:51:02 <acat> nope, disabled
18:51:19 <acat> it was not working in any case, just the icon was showing on hover
18:51:51 <acat> so it will have to be investigated and then fixed :)
18:52:07 <sysrqb> ahtor-browser#40148
18:52:12 <sysrqb> ah tor-browser#40148
18:52:22 <sysrqb> i didn't see that land
18:52:24 <sysrqb> thanks
18:53:23 <acat> i missed to add that one in the pad
18:53:29 <acat> *forgot
18:53:36 <sysrqb> tor-browser#40163 tor-browser#40139 are possible
18:53:49 <sysrqb> probably with a small preference for fixing the disk leak
18:54:25 <GeKo> i have some tickets to file for small pref updates we missed
18:54:52 <GeKo> but that should be easy to squeeze into 10.0.1, too
18:55:03 <sysrqb> "easy" :)
18:55:07 <sysrqb> but yes, sounds good
18:55:09 <GeKo> *flip*
18:55:12 <GeKo> done
18:55:34 <antonela> when we are planning to release 0.1?
18:55:57 <antonela> i left some comments here https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/torbutton/-/merge_requests/20, i'd love to have isabela, ggus, alsmith review on it soonish
18:56:07 <sysrqb> let's plan on 13 October
18:56:13 <antonela> cool
18:56:17 <sysrqb> we don't have a definite date
18:56:38 <antonela> we will need to see some proofs of the l10n versions too
18:56:40 <sysrqb> but that is a good target and that should give us some time for finish all of these tickets
18:56:51 <antonela> could you attach them in the ticket acat?
18:57:03 <antonela> sysrqb: sounds good for me!
18:58:09 <sysrqb> we'll have nightlies soon after acat's done with the changes
18:58:12 <sysrqb> (too)
18:58:13 <acat> antonela: yeah, will do
18:58:19 <antonela> super, thanks folks!
18:58:59 * sysrqb reloads pad again
18:59:11 <sysrqb> that's all I have for today, iirc
19:00:19 <sysrqb> thank everyone
19:00:26 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> thanks!
19:00:33 <acat> thanks!
19:00:36 <sysrqb> o/
19:00:42 <sysrqb> #endmeeting