18:01:17 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser 13 October 2020
18:01:17 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Oct 13 18:01:17 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:01:17 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:01:29 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hello!
18:02:09 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: Hi! sorry for the lack of communication about yesterday's meeting
18:03:25 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, no worries, communication is expected to be the first casualty when in an Android release mad-dash :)
18:03:43 <sysrqb> heh, yeaaaaah
18:03:47 <sysrqb> thanks
18:04:16 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos hopes things are going somewhat okay with that?
18:04:18 <antonela> o/
18:06:55 <sysrqb> okay, welcome to another week in tor browser-land
18:07:07 <sysrqb> we have 10.0.1 being released today
18:07:51 <sysrqb> we have 10.0.2/10.5a2 coming out next Tuesday based on Firefox 78.4.0esr
18:08:11 <sysrqb> (for desktop)
18:08:46 <sysrqb> we're planning on releasing 10.0a9 for Android on 20 Oct, too
18:09:41 <sysrqb> and that will (hopefully) be the last alpha version before releasing Fenix as stable as Tor Browser 10.0.3
18:10:03 <sysrqb> 10.0a9 and 10.0.3 will be based on Fenix 82
18:10:40 <sysrqb> Android Tor Browser will move onto Fenix 83, and that should put us back on the necessary release train
18:11:02 <sysrqb> following Mozilla's beta->release track
18:12:15 <sysrqb> the primary focus I have for this meeting is assigning 10.0a9 and 10.0.3 blockers
18:13:05 <sysrqb> GeKo: i saw you put the 83 tickets on the Tor Browser 10.0 milestone
18:13:38 <GeKo> did we do the geckoview proxy audit for 79-81?
18:13:59 <GeKo> yes, as i suspect 10.0.4 will be based on fenix83
18:14:26 <sysrqb> hrm.
18:14:30 <GeKo> but then we still have the versioning scheme discussion ahead of us
18:15:06 <sysrqb> yes
18:15:21 <GeKo> so for now 10.0 seemed to be the safest bet
18:15:36 <GeKo> given that it is probably not 10.5
18:15:48 <sysrqb> i worry about tracking 83 on maint-10.0 and master
18:16:00 <sysrqb> but i guess that is what we do with the esr anyway
18:16:14 <sysrqb> the transition between versions is just smaller
18:16:27 <sysrqb> (minor versions)
18:16:35 <GeKo> yeah
18:16:52 <GeKo> we should think harder about that
18:17:06 <sysrqb> yeah, i would like to land on master and backport to 10.0
18:17:15 <sysrqb> but i doubt that will land cleanly in the future
18:17:23 <GeKo> maybe we just have special mobile maint-x branches
18:17:59 <GeKo> and we keep desktop on maint-10.0
18:18:48 <sysrqb> yeah, that makes combined builds more complicated
18:18:55 <sysrqb> but we should think about this
18:19:06 <GeKo> yeah, that's true
18:19:46 <sysrqb> but i think you're right that we can keep the 83 tickets on the 10.0 mailestone
18:19:52 <sysrqb> *milestone
18:20:19 <GeKo> backporting is really tricky e.g. for #40126
18:20:24 <sysrqb> and we should think about how we can make this not-a-maintenance-nightmare :)
18:20:34 <GeKo> because that ropes in a new binutils
18:20:42 <GeKo> which we don't want on maint-10.0
18:20:45 <GeKo> yeah, no kidding
18:21:07 <GeKo> the new fun is getting real
18:21:21 <sysrqb> yeah
18:22:40 <sysrqb> we maybe missed the 79-81 audit
18:23:10 <GeKo> at least for the geckoview part (and in particular the non-java one) that is my feeling
18:23:19 <sysrqb> i don't see a ticket for it
18:23:24 <sysrqb> so i suspect it wasn't completed
18:23:36 <sysrqb> I'll pick that up after this meeting
18:23:55 <GeKo> double-checking with mike would be good
18:24:09 <GeKo> iirc he did some work for the 78-81 part
18:24:10 <sysrqb> yeah
18:25:43 <sysrqb> fenix#40073 tor-browser-build#40125
18:26:36 <sysrqb> actually, another way
18:26:37 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=closed&milestone_title=Tor%20Browser%3A%2010.0&label_name[]=Sponsor%2058&assignee_id=None
18:26:56 <sysrqb> oops. not closed
18:27:14 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&milestone_title=Tor%20Browser%3A%2010.0&label_name[]=Sponsor%2058&assignee_id=None
18:27:37 <sysrqb> these are the tickets on the 10.0 milestone, labeled with Sponsor 58, and not assigned
18:28:38 <sysrqb> we can assign the 83 rebase tickets in a moment, but i consider those lower priority than blockers for releasing fenix based on 82 right now
18:29:58 <sysrqb> acat: you have fenix#40076 fenix#40078?
18:30:24 <sysrqb> i don't remember if you claimed 40078, too
18:30:37 <acat> yes
18:31:21 <sysrqb> thanks
18:32:13 <sysrqb> i'll take fenix#40048 fenix#40038  fenix#40037 fenix#40036
18:32:51 <sysrqb> GeKo: do you have a sense of how we should approach tor-browser#40117 ?
18:33:16 <GeKo> i have not looked
18:33:22 <sysrqb> okay
18:33:27 <antonela> sysrqb: tag my name there if you need any review on UI related ones
18:33:29 <GeKo> it's probably not even clear if the benefits are worth it
18:33:56 <sysrqb> antonela: thanks! i think we are mostly done with those, but i did not close them so i'll review what is still needed
18:34:05 <GeKo> if we want to fix webgl issues then we should probably spend time on software rendering
18:34:07 <sysrqb> (the last two)
18:34:10 <antonela> sysrqb: super
18:34:21 <GeKo> like jeff gilbert is pointing out all the time
18:34:28 <sysrqb> yes, heh
18:34:31 <GeKo> but that's a larger project
18:34:40 <sysrqb> but that is likely a project
18:34:43 <sysrqb> yeah
18:35:00 <GeKo> so i think that bug is probably not worth our time right now, alas
18:35:10 <sysrqb> so i wonder if we should do anything for the immediate future
18:35:18 <sysrqb> okay
18:35:42 <GeKo> so, i'd clear the milestone for now
18:35:57 <GeKo> and set the tb-10.5-could label if we want
18:36:24 <sysrqb> i was tihnking I would move it to 10.5 where we could at least review what is exposed, even if we don't do anything about it
18:36:28 <GeKo> we probably could try to just re-implement the pref
18:36:30 <sysrqb> but that could be child ticket, too
18:36:32 <GeKo> which might not be too hard
18:37:02 <GeKo> but that's still some effort
18:38:13 <GeKo> then let's put it onto 10.5 with the review goal at least
18:38:20 <sysrqb> okay, i'll add this onto our fingerpriting backlog
18:38:30 <sysrqb> yeah
18:38:55 <sysrqb> thanks
18:39:53 <sysrqb> acat: can you pick up tor-browser#40182 and just confirm it is disabled in PBM?
18:40:03 <sysrqb> hopefully that is quick and easy
18:40:31 <acat> ok
18:40:44 <sysrqb> oh, i guess not "disabled"
18:40:48 <sysrqb> i wonder what "Private information is not exposed" means
18:41:11 <sysrqb> ah, that was  GeKo comment
18:41:17 <sysrqb> *a
18:41:23 <acat> so, in gnome this shows a "Firefox is playing media" UI in the system bar
18:41:31 <acat> and lets you control it
18:42:07 <acat> well, at least that's the message in PBM (a generic one), i guess in non-PBM it contains the real media metadata
18:42:16 <sysrqb> okay
18:42:48 <acat> i think we're good, but i'll double-check
18:43:20 <sysrqb> thanks
18:43:46 <sysrqb> for tor-browser#40179, i'll take that one, too
18:44:04 <sysrqb> i expect mozilla's produced apks suffer from the same issue
18:44:19 <sysrqb> but i'll confirm that and then move it out of the 10.0 milestone
18:44:54 <sysrqb> tor-browser#40186
18:45:44 <sysrqb> GeKo: acat: are you okay taking the same responsibilities as we had for 82?
18:46:44 <sysrqb> i would like to rotate in the future, but i think we're comfortable with these tickets now
18:46:51 <sysrqb> and that will make the 83 transition easier
18:46:55 <acat> ok for me
18:47:07 <GeKo> wfm
18:47:11 <sysrqb> thanks
18:47:28 <GeKo> so, just assign away ;)
18:49:05 <sysrqb> okay, i think i assigned them correctly
18:51:02 <sysrqb> and now the list of unassigned 10.0+Sponsor 58 tickets is empty (except tor-browser#40130 tor-browser#40186)
18:51:06 <sysrqb> meta-tickets
18:51:31 <sysrqb> now we all just have an unrealistic number of tickets on our plates :)
18:52:25 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: i am planning on (finally) responding to your email this week, so we can schedule a meeting
18:52:41 <sysrqb> i am sorry about the long delay
18:53:19 <acat> but 83 does not go to beta until next week, right?
18:53:44 <acat> is the rebase for this week?
18:53:59 <GeKo> next week
18:54:04 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, sounds great!  The delay is very much forgiven, I know you've been completely occupied with the hellish landscape of everything that's been happening in 2020
18:54:26 <acat> ok
18:55:04 <sysrqb> acat: yeah, you're right
18:55:17 <sysrqb> i saw they merged 82 onto mozilla-release
18:55:28 <sysrqb> but they didn't merge 83 onto beta
18:55:46 <sysrqb> so you can delay those tickets until next week
18:56:21 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: yeah :/
18:56:25 <acat> ok. i was thinking of giving tor-browser#30605 a try
18:58:34 <sysrqb> acat: that is a good one, if you have time
18:59:48 <sysrqb> i thought you had more on your plate already for Android, but i see you only have a few tickets
19:00:29 <sysrqb> okay, i think that concludes this meeting
19:00:46 <sysrqb> thanks everyone, and have a good week
19:00:53 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> thanks!
19:00:54 <sysrqb> #endmeeting