18:59:27 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 02 November 2020
18:59:27 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Nov  2 18:59:27 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:27 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:59:38 <sysrqb> welcome everyone to November
18:59:39 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Hello!
18:59:52 <sysrqb> and the first Tor Browser meeting in that month
19:00:06 <antonela> o/
19:00:36 <acat> hi!
19:00:59 <GeKo> o/
19:01:03 <sysrqb> Pad (as usual): https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep
19:09:52 <sysrqb> okay, let's see where we are
19:11:40 <sysrqb> I guess i'll work on  tpo/core/tor#40172 this week
19:12:18 <GeKo> maybe we can get nick to work on that instead?
19:12:19 <sysrqb> i think the current assumption is that it's caused by something in our build env
19:12:34 <sysrqb> idk
19:13:03 <sysrqb> i can ask him if he can debug it
19:13:15 <sysrqb> but i think our configuration is non-standard
19:13:32 <sysrqb> so troubleshooting it in an rbm container may be "easier"
19:13:45 <GeKo> fair enough
19:14:12 <GeKo> the last good and first bad commit show the same configure output
19:14:23 <GeKo> which is a bit surprising...
19:15:14 <sysrqb> well, nick was correct when he wrote "This is experimental and probably will break some platforms"
19:15:17 <sysrqb> in the commit message
19:15:26 <GeKo> that what came to mind, yes :)
19:15:32 <GeKo> *that's
19:16:30 <sysrqb> i'll try poking at this and hopefully it won't be too difficult
19:16:37 <sysrqb> given we are only seeing this on one platform
19:17:03 <sysrqb> and it isn't reproducible natively on a mac
19:17:32 <sysrqb> hopefully it isn't a bug in the toolchain
19:19:52 <sysrqb> otherwise, GeKo, i hope you had a nice/relaxing afk-experience
19:19:59 <sysrqb> i'm going to try triaging our current tickets
19:20:05 <sysrqb> this week, as well
19:20:09 <GeKo> i did. and i hope you will have so, soon, too
19:20:27 <sysrqb> thanks, one of these days :)
19:20:49 <sysrqb> i'm going to take one day this week, hopefully
19:20:58 <sysrqb> and then maybe another next week
19:21:14 <GeKo> progress i guess? ;)
19:21:20 <sysrqb> i'll chat with gaba about rescheduling her "Monday 9th November -> LET'S DO SYNC ON SPONSOR 58 WORK"
19:21:30 <sysrqb> because i may not be available for it
19:21:39 <sysrqb> small progress :)
19:22:10 <GeKo> yeah, we should not lose that sponsor out of sight. we are not done there, yet
19:22:18 <sysrqb> i'd like to get a little more organized this week
19:22:52 <sysrqb> yes, i want to have a plan for fixing/adding tests and rebasing patches
19:22:59 <sysrqb> this month
19:23:27 <sysrqb> but part of that meeting is triaging remaining tasks
19:23:35 <sysrqb> and making sure we complete them
19:25:10 <sysrqb> acat: instead of https_mode, can you start looking at running fenix tests in the testsuite?
19:25:21 <sysrqb> i don't know what is needed for that
19:25:35 <sysrqb> and it may require more work than we realize
19:25:38 <acat> sounds good
19:25:46 <sysrqb> thanks
19:25:53 <GeKo> i suspect it will indeed require lot of work
19:26:06 <GeKo> i still remember boklm fighting with windows and macos tests
19:26:54 <sysrqb> i believe there will be two parts, java/kotlin unit tests that can be run on linux
19:27:03 <sysrqb> and then android tests that will require an emulator
19:27:14 <GeKo> acat: regarding tests. could you think about rebasing the tbb test changes in tor-browser
19:27:18 <GeKo> so i can review that piece?
19:27:28 <sysrqb> the first part should not be too difficult, i hope
19:27:36 <GeKo> from what i recall looking at your changes it seemed to me we are close
19:27:51 <acat> GeKo: right, that's one is quite outdated
19:27:51 <GeKo> but it would be nice if we could get that piece off of our s58 plate, too
19:29:47 <sysrqb> the last item we should discuss is our meeting time
19:29:58 <sysrqb> i hear 1800 UTC could be okay for GeKo
19:30:12 <sysrqb> and i saw the network team kept their meeting time at 1700
19:30:33 <sysrqb> so we can move our meeting back to 1800
19:30:36 <GeKo> 1900utc is better
19:30:46 <GeKo> but i guess i could make 1800utc work, too
19:31:04 <sysrqb> ah ha okay
19:31:12 <GeKo> we used to follow utc time as that was easier for most folks
19:31:19 <GeKo> err
19:31:26 <GeKo> we used to move utc time i meant
19:31:34 <sysrqb> yes
19:32:17 <sysrqb> okay, if 1900 UTC is a better time for most people, then we can stay at this time until ~March
19:33:19 * sysrqb does not hear any objections
19:33:57 <sysrqb> the time is now changed on the pad, it's official
19:34:34 <sysrqb> okay, that's all I have for today's meeting
19:34:53 <sysrqb> have a good week everyone
19:34:54 <GeKo> do you plan to look at the https-only mode like from this week onß
19:34:58 <GeKo> ?
19:35:09 <sysrqb> ah, yes
19:35:10 <GeKo> i don't see it on the pad
19:35:15 <sysrqb> that's on my plate
19:35:23 <GeKo> good
19:35:45 <sysrqb> i'll talk with arthur about that and create a plan for desktop and android
19:35:56 <GeKo> fwiw @all feel free to throw things at me i am not sure how my torbrowser/s61 work balance will be
19:36:06 <antonela> sysrqb: cool
19:36:07 <GeKo> we'll sort that out while we are going
19:36:16 <antonela> s58 remaining items, will we discuss it during the release meeting?
19:36:16 <GeKo> but don't be shy :)
19:36:27 <antonela> or can i draft a pad with what i find in gitlab :)
19:36:34 <sysrqb> GeKo: thanks
19:36:41 <sysrqb> antonela: we can discuss some during the release meeting
19:36:55 <sysrqb> but now i remember gaba wanted a separate meeting for that
19:36:57 <sysrqb> maybe next week
19:37:07 <antonela> super, i dont need a dev roadmap, i just want to be sure that i have some of it in the ux backlog
19:37:18 <GeKo> sysrqb: i am still blocked with the remaining mozilla83 work on input from you
19:37:32 <GeKo> both comment- and rebase-wise :)
19:37:37 <sysrqb> antonela: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?milestone_title=Sponsor+58+-++Tor+Browser+Security%2C+Performance%2C+%26+Usability+Improvements
19:37:47 <sysrqb> that should include most items
19:37:57 <sysrqb> but i should triage that list
19:38:04 <antonela> +label:UX
19:38:06 <antonela> good stuff!
19:38:07 <antonela> thanks
19:38:14 <sysrqb> GeKo: yeah, that's at the time of my list for this today/tomorrow
19:38:22 <sysrqb> didn't finish last week
19:38:47 <sysrqb> *top of my list
19:39:37 <GeKo> thanks
19:40:04 <sysrqb> k. thanks everyone
19:40:16 <sysrqb> #endmeeting